Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > The Sunday Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
David Fried

A song we would have sung

Sung to the Lou Reed's , Take a Walk on the Wild Side

Take a Walk on the GOP Side

Foley came from Miami, FLA
Page-hopped his way across the USA
An email here and an IM there
K Street DC?s the place where they say,
Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
I said, Hey page
Take a walk on the wild side

Coulter came from out on the Island
In the backroom she was everybody?s darlin?
Adam?s apple at her throat
Thinks she has some room to gloat
She says, Hey Newt
She said, Hastert

And the coloured girls sing,
Doo do doo do doo do do doo

Little Matt never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
A hustle here and some muscle there
The Drudge Report is the place where they say,
Hey page, take a walk on the wild side
He says, Hey page

Sugar Plum Karl came and hit the streets
Lookin? for boy chow and some ass to eat
Went to the Be Bar ? Oh!
You should?ve seen him go go go
He said, Hey Bulldog
He said, Hey Kenny

All right, huh

Dobson is just bleating away
Thought he was James Dean for a day
Then I guess he had to crash
Spongebob might have helped that bash
I said, Hey fool,
I said, Hey Foley,

And the coloured girls sing,
Doo do doo do doo do do doo
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
markjaws

Dave:
Is that supposed to be funny? In this world I have found far too few folks who can mix humor and politics well. Mark Russel, Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck do it well, but no one else. On the left, Al Franken can be a funny comedian, but when it comes to talk radio, he is absolutely boring. Same with Mario Cuomo, Doug Wilder, and Tom Laykis. Liberals are not funny when they try to mix humor and politics.
markjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
markjaws

Dave - Just to prove I can be as unfunny as you, here is a song I recently did. I feel especially qualified - having grown up 22 years in the Lower East Side, close to Grand and Essex Streets, at one time, the greatest Jewish neighborhood in America. Until the great Jewish migration to the whiter suburbs, where I guess it was easier to be liberal. But I digress. Anyway, I call this little number, "Liberal City Blues" sung to the melody of Johnny Cash's immortal "Folson Prison Blues."

I hear the gangs a rumblin'
Oh, down in the East End.
And I've not had a safe time,
Since, I don't know when.
But I'm stuck in Liberal City,
And crimes go marchin' on.
When I hear gang bangers comin'
I make myself long gone.

When I was just a baby,
My daddy told me, "Son..
Stay away from cities,
Don't ever live in one."
But I met a gal from Soho,
To home I said goodbye.
Now when I think of nice safe suburbs,
I hang my head and cry.

I'll bet there's rich libs
Driving in some fancy expensive cars,
They live in gated enclaves,
Their windows have no bars.
Then I saw their judges coming,
I knew they'd set thugs free.
Now the criminals roam the city,
And that's what tortures me.

Oh, if I could ever leave this city,
Then everything'd be fine,
I own a pair of pistols,
And a shotgun, would be mine.
Far from Liberal City,
That's where I want to stay.
And when gang bangers a threatenin',
I'd blow their heads away.
markjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
mrockman

Do We ^Really^ Want . . .?

Do we really want this to be (yet another) forum catering to left-leaning folks? There are plenty of those out there, where (like right-leaning folks and certain other folks) political people can post/blog to their political hearts' content.

Is there any consideration for the occasional Welmetter who may actually find himself not only to the right of Howard Dean, but may actually not appreciate (yet another) venue where the leftish in-crowd blandly assumes we're all lefties together so we can say whatever we like among ourselves? Kinda like telling a n%gg%r joke and assuming everyone present will laugh at it.

It's hard enough to go to a concert, or to other performances within the northeastern urban and suburban culture, where the presupposition of cultural leftism is omipresently there and freely expressed. Newsflash -- there are others who do exist, quietly and unobtrusively, while the kultursmog spews on and on.

Am I whining? If you think so, fine-n-dandy, although rest assured I seceded from the overarching culture just described, decades ago. I don't think I'm whining, just wishing for a forum that's for Welmetters, without the in-crowd presumption of leftish-leaning-ism seeping in. Can't we converse about Wel-Met, and be mindful that there actually may exist "others" out there who don't share in the non-Wel-Met common presumptions?

Too much to ask? -- even as I am appreciative of all the effort and time of those who enable this site.

M J R

mrockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Andy Ravick

Cool

When I worked at Wel-met, I lived on Grand and Pitt. I was not aware of any campers from the LES. Most of the Middle class kids from the area went to Edalia (on Lake Tiorati) from the Educational alliance. The rest of us went to camps like Recro (my camp as a camper -- one I called Camp poverty as opposed to george Getzel's camp Poopik) , Slone, Wabenaki (on Upper Lake Cohasset) or Ten Mile River (Boy scouts.)
Andy Ravick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Michael Ohlstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrockman View Post
Do we really want this to be (yet another) forum catering to left-leaning folks? There are plenty of those out there, where (like right-leaning folks and certain other folks) political people can post/blog to their political hearts' content.
This is a forum where anything goes. Please speak your mind, so long as there are no personal attacks.

Quote:
It's hard enough to go to a concert, or to other performances within the northeastern urban and suburban culture, where the presupposition of cultural leftism is omipresently there and freely expressed. Newsflash -- there are others who do exist, quietly and unobtrusively, while the kultursmog spews on and on.
Holy shit, is THAT ever the case. I loved the Roger Waters shows last year, but I could have done without the lecture......
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Marty Guttman

Smile

Hey Andy are yiu sure on the spelling on Camp Poopik? I think I would go with Camp Pupik or possibly Camp Pupick.

Also isn't it odd that TMR(Ten Mile River) was just several miles from Narrowsburg.
Marty Guttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
David Fried

Quote:
We sure do, because us left wing , commy pinko slobs with our little red book tucked under our arms are singing down with Bourgeoisie and up with the Proletariat.
We are in control you can't change the station because we are in control of the dial.

Young Diamond Jim
Your looking a little thin
Who really feels sorry for him
If it wasn't made up
It was made off
Old 03-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
Michael Ohlstein

So far, the best thing that has happened is that Al Franken is in office instead of being on the radio.

Thanks goodness he didn't cheat on his taxes........
Old 03-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
David Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ohlstein View Post
So far, the best thing that has happened is that Al Franken is in office instead of being on the radio.

Thanks goodness he didn't cheat on his taxes........
Yea and I voted for him, better than the right wing Nazi fake Jew Norm. Wellstone is finally at peace. One more for the Blue team!!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
Andy Ravick

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Guttman View Post
Hey Andy are yiu sure on the spelling on Camp Poopik? I think I would go with Camp Pupik or possibly Camp Pupick.

Also isn't it odd that TMR(Ten Mile River) was just several miles from Narrowsburg.

I guess it depends if you're a Litvak or Galicianer. I'm a Roumanisher.
Andy Ravick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
ArtBefartnickle

Andy, your words regarding the different sects of Eastern European Jewry made me do some research on Wikipedia. Part ofmy family was from Vilna and the other part was from Galicia (Poland). I never knew there was such diversity and that there was real competition between the different groups. made for some very interesting reading. I am a little more educated in my heritage today than I was yesterday.

As in camp, kumbaya is just a song, I will always hate those lefties in bunk 97. There, I said it!
ArtBefartnickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
David Fried

Art Feeling well? That is the most decorum I have read in any of your posts!
Must have been late
Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
ArtBefartnickle

Sorry if I dissapointed you. When I went to WM I did not even know that it was a Jewish Camp and it might not have been as there were many non Jews at camp.

My Vilnius Grandfather put on Teffilin every morning and was a devout Jew, my other GF was a Bolshivik and Zionist (can you be both?). My father had a limited relationship with God, I guess he had run wild in Brooklyn; booted out of school by 15 and driving a truck by 16 for his father. He must have been quite a handful for a devout Jew.

Both my parents spoke fluent Yiddish to each other and that was their secret language except they would mix my name in followed by a english word like "Idiot" since there might not have been a valid Yiddish translation.

I thought there were only two types of Jews, Askenasi and Sephardic. This was an opportunity to look up something that I found interesting. The Internet has truly opened up one's ability to research things that never existed before.

So I am not always an asshole, just when I was an AAA and did not give enough snacks to the bunks on purpose.
ArtBefartnickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
mrockman

David Fried responded, "We sure do, because us left wing , commy pinko slobs with
our little red book tucked under our arms are singing down with Bourgeoisie and up
with the Proletariat. We are in control you can't change the station because we are
in control of the dial."

Now, David Fried, you know I have not responded to you with deliberate caricatures
of the people with whom you hang out with politically. Note, I'm not going to bite at
the bait of so's your mama.

I have merely pointed to the hegemony of the culture you evidently inhabit [correct
me if I'm wrong, I can handle that], and expressed the probably hopeless wish that
there may be nooks and crannies in the U S A, outside of the Bible Belt and outside
of places (too-) often referred to as redneck, where the cultural hegemony might be
willing to pleeze let it rest for a dear second or three.

Speaking of the Bible Belt, it strilkes me that the hegemony of the culture in which I
perceive you as thriving, and the Bible Belt culture, are mirror-images of each other
in their similarity. The culture is, or manages to be, everywhere it is hegemonous;
it brooks little-to-no substantive dissent, and its adherents so often manage not to
be aware of how culturally segregated they are -- something akin to the fish living
in a lake, who doesn't know it's wet.

Again, just wishing for a forum that's for Welmetters, without the in-crowd presumption
of leftish-leaning-ism seeping in. Is it possible to be mindful that there actually do exist
"others" out there who aren't part and parcel of the local hegemony? Too much to ask?

M J R

mrockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #16
Michael Ohlstein

Hey..........

Who let the smaaaaaart guy in?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #17
David Fried

I see how this goes , gang up on the hippie, somebody going to help here , come on
Hey cinnamon , run to the rock......
Old 03-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #18
Michael Ohlstein

OK..... Obama hates white people, the government blew up the levies, and we're going to rebuild a chocolate Fargo.....because that's what God wants.

There, I said it.

Say....was that Sean Penn I just saw, paddling a boat on the Red River?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #19
David Fried

After the river is done cresting we can bus some homeless into fargo and give them TARP money. Maybe Rick Wagoner can help fill some sand bags, oh wait he is using his Golden Parachute
Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #20
Steve Sturm

leave the poor people of Fargo out of this. All they have is NDSU, a Coen Brothers movie and the Red River (has only catfish, and isn't Red)
Steve Sturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #21
janetcohen

Having lived in the Alabama part of Pennsylvania for the past 30 years, it's hard for me to believe that there are places where liberals can actually say what they think let alone impose it on someone else; even the centrist Democrats have to watch it. I came to this forum thinking maybe someone would be commenting about the death of Pete Seeger since I knew his passing would not be considered terrible news around here.
janetcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #22
David Fried

Hi Janet,
Can say anything about Pete , but can say something about Bob .
Might find this article interesting...
http://digitalbucket.com/bob-dylan-n...-expectations/