Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
gail

Any Hints In Locating Campers From The Late 50's?

Marco Roberts and I reconnected on this site. We were Narrowsburg Pioneers in '57 and are very anxious to find friends who shared those summers with us. Remember "scarfing" the boy of your dreams and slow dancing to "Chances Are"?
Help us - some of you must have older brothers and sisters, or even aunts and uncles who were part of our alumni group. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We think if we're able to track down a few - it might kick off a domino effect. We need more clues to complete this scavenger hunt.
Thanks -
Gail Roth Hollander
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Barbara Alpern

I remember 57

This is a response to the posting of Gail Ross and Marco Roberts, three years after their posts, I'm sorry to say. I just discovered this website. Hope you two, and others from that wonderful summer, get this message. I remember you both well from my days at Wel-met. They were from 1955-57, but you both were part of my last summer, when we were all in the pioneers, when Gail was a tent-mate and Marco was the boyfriend of another tent-mate, Jane. I have great photos of both of you from that time.
Barbara Alpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
gail

'57 Pioneers

It was wonderful to get a response from you Barbara. It's been a while since I used the term "tentmate".
Marco and I corresponded for a while and then lost touch. We tried to find some others but were not successful...until today.
I recently spoke with Lou and Sarah Levitt. He was the Narrowsburg director.
I was the babysitter for their kids in "58 & '59.
Are you in touch with any other fomer Wel-Met folks?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Barbara Alpern

I'm surprised and delighted that you responded so quickly, Gail. I didn't expect it.

No, I'm not in touch with anyone from those days. Many, many years ago, in 1968 or 69, I ran into Don Herzbach in Cambridge Commons; he'd turned into a hippie artist, with long scraggly hair, and I barely recognized him. He barely recognized me, too, actually. But we exchanged no info, and never re-connected. And I've lived in Boulder, Colorado for 32 years--not a place where old Wel-Metters are thick on the ground.
Barbara Alpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
gail

'57 Pioneers

Barbara,
Lovely to hear from you.
Testing my memory - do you remember the names of our tentmates. I can recall Pam, Fran, Sandy, & Jane. Are there more?
I did try to locate names on Google. Pan Ween Brumberg died 5 years ago from pancreatic cancer. I think that must have been "our" Pam.
I wasn't able to locate other people.
I did try to get some info on you. Are you at the university? Looks like you've had a very impressive career.
I worked for many years as a high school guidance counselor in Queens. I have MS and life has changed a great deal. My husband is fantastic and we get around as much as possible.
Use my email when you write back - gailh9@aol.com.
Happy Chanukah.
Gail
Old 08-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
larryc

barryville l954-l957

anyone who was in barryville mid fifties--got lost all day until truck picked us up in Yulan....Steve Altman from Rockville Center....Morty Abramowitz from Brooklyn....Hal Hoffman from the Bx...
larryc is offline   Reply With Quote