Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Michael Ohlstein

Friends of Wendy Roseman

For those of you who know Wendy but are not on my regular mailing list, here is a rather disturbing story.

I have visited with Wendy and she is making a steady recovery. Anyone who would like further updates, please let me know.

Spider

Police: Woman, 50, Stabbed By Random Man Waiting In Her Yard
POSTED: 8:46 am EDT August 16, 2008
UPDATED: 9:13 am EDT August 16, 2008
OCEANSIDE, N.Y. -- A 50-year-old woman was stabbed by an apparently random man who was waiting on her property and crept up behind her when she came home, police said.
The stabbing happened in a residential community in Oceanside at about 10:20 p.m. Thursday.
Police said the victim was stabbed as she was exiting her vehicle that was parked in the driveway of her home on Freeman Avenue.

Diego Deleon, 25, of Island Park was waiting in the woman's yard for some reason, although police aren't sure why, and stabbed her once in the torso when she got out of her car.
The woman, shocked, screamed and Deleon fled, jumping over a fence onto a golf course, police said. Deleon then jumped into a pond to wash the victim's blood off his body and walked west of Waukena Avenue.
A police officer saw Deleon wet with blood on his hands and took him into custody less than an hour after the stabbing.
Police said the victim and Deleon did not know each other. After being stabbed, the victim was able to run to a neighbor's home. The neighbor called 911 and administered first aid.
The knife plunged deeply into the woman, affecting internal organs. She was in surgery for five hours.
The knife was recovered in Deleon's possession. He was charged with second-degree attempted murder and possession of a dangerous weapon in the fourth degree.
Deleon will be arraigned in First District Court in Hempstead on Saturday.

Second Story

ARREST IN STABBING
BILL MASON
August 16, 2008
An Island Park man was arrested and charged with attempted murder after a woman was stabbed getting out of her car at her Oceanside home, police said Friday. The 50-year-old woman, who was not identified, is in critical condition, police said. Diego A. Deleon, 25, of 63 Nassau Lane, was charged with second-degree attempted murder and fourth-degree possession of a dangerous weapon. He was to be arraigned Saturday in First District Court, Hempstead. The woman had parked her car in the driveway of her home at about 11 p.m. Thursday when she was stabbed in the side, police said. A police officer saw Deleon walking on Waukena Avenue in Oceanside about 10 minutes later. Police said when he was arrested, he had the knife police believe was used in the stabbing. Police did not release a possible motive.

Diego Deleon faces attempted murder charges after allegedly stabbing a woman in Oceanside.
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Fran Stevens

Friends of Wendy Roseman

Spider,
I too was a Welmet camper & I grew up living right next door to Wendy. She is like a sister to me. It is absolutely horrible what happened to her. I also happen to be a nurse & I work in the hospital where she is & have seen her & she is doing amazingly well. She has an amazing spirit & still has her wonderful sense of humor. I told her about your post on the site & she said you visited with her & she couldn't believe she made the Welmet website.

Fran
Fran Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
David Fried

Fran,
Please give Wendy a big hug from me!!!!
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Siehs

Send a message via AIM to Siehs
Wendy

Spider, Fran
Please give Wendy a big Hug from me as well.
Mike Siehs
Siehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
jmfeld22

Michael

I do not know Wendy but please extend my absolute best wishes and a quick recovery.

Jay Feld
jmfeld22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Michael Ohlstein

My understanding is that Wendy is leaving the ICU today. Probably a few days in a room, followed by a couple of months at home.....
Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
Fran Stevens

Wendy

Just an update on Wendy's condition. Unfortunately she developed some complications & had to be transferred back to ICU on Friday. Then today [Sunday] they transferred her to Northshore where she had to go through an emergency procedure. I spoke with her sister Ilene who said she is holding her own. I told Wendy that you all send hugs & best wishes & it made her smile. I'll keep you updated on her progress.

Fran
Fran Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Michael Ohlstein

Early this morning, Wendy had several pulmonary embolisms surgically removed. She has apparently tolerated the surgery well.

Further updates as they become available.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
Michael Ohlstein

Currently in the step-down unit at North Shore Hospital. She seems to be doing well.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
David Fried

Wendy is still in North Shore but doing well and should be out of the woods and on the road to recovery.
It's a truly a miracle that Wendy is still with us.
Love ya Wendy!!!
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
Michael Ohlstein

And now they tell me that she is going home tomorrow.

Still a long recovery ahead, but good news for sure.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:05 AM   #12
Leda

Wow! I Hope Wendy is Doing Better

Greetings,

I'm a Silver Lake alum, and was friends with Ilene, Wendy's sister, in Jr. High & HS. I always liked Wendy and remember her and her sense of humor quite well. I'm very sad to hear that she has gone through some tough times and hope that she is continuing to get well. Please, to those of you in touch with her, if you can - please send my best to her and Ilene (they should remember me - Leda Barasch.)

With warm regards,
Leda
Leda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
Michael Ohlstein

I had dinner with Wendy last week. She's doing very well, and loves to hear from old friends.