Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
jmfeld22

Some thoughts

Okay, welcome to the 21st century . .

Just imagine when we all went on our Western Trips or spent our days in camp with some of today’s everyday items:

• Cell phones with cameras
• Laptops
• Digital cameras – regardless of the megapixels
• Small handheld video cameras

I can only imagine the imagines that I would have – the beauty, the funny, and reality of it all.
jmfeld22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Ira Shuldman

Wink All the knick knacks of today then when we went to camp???

Based on todays standards these things such as cell phones, lap tops, digital cameras, text messaging etc, would have taken away what going to camp was all about. Can you imagine during instructional swim hearing your cell phone go off, jumping out of the lake, running down the dock to get the phone at the shore line---- and you missed the call to boot??? Or being out on a survival to have the Internet at nite around the campfire when reflection and interaction was the objective not to see what was on Ebay and what was happening in the world or at least get a kiss from that girl in Bunk 73??

Camp is camp and today many kids do not know what was and why it was super. As a Barryville camper for many years taking away what Wel Met gave me every summer with what kids have today ( 21 st Century toys) would have deprived me of the life and excitement camp gave me to be the kind of person I am today.

Here is a thought! On one of the Star Trk episodes they do their thing in the future way out in space and when down time comes they get to on a planet maybe earth and camp out in the woods under the stars with a fire in a pit with good friends and let the mind mellow and reflect on the down time. I believe they even sing a song or two, reminds me of the Pioneer site across the lake

Ira Shuldman
Barryville 61-67 6 week
Ira Shuldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
jmfeld22

Ira

I do not disagree with your thoughts at all, I am and was thinking about preserving my memories, views, and and personal items. There are people and sights I can barely remember or vision - I wish I has those on digital film to preserve. There were many idividuals and events I wish or someone had captured on film or todays' equal - like sitting by a campfire, parts of my Western Trip, our trip trip to Montreal when we were in Pioneers, the softball game between Narrowsburg and Silverlake, some of the campouts and hikes, and the list goes on.

Today's technology would have made it easiser and less damaging (some of my slides and pictures faded to black).

Jay
Old 10-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Michael Ohlstein

73 was a boys bunk......in Narrowsburg, anyway....
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
jmfeld22

True - I belive I was in Bunk 74 in Unit 4.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Siehs

Send a message via AIM to Siehs
Unit 4

In Barryville unit 4 Bunks 70 - 75 were boys bunks
Siehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
Ira Shuldman

see what age does

The only reason I recall the things at wel met is because it burned big time an impression in my memory in vision. Now in regard to the #'s on the bunks you are all correct. in Barryville the girls were in the 60's and yes the boys were in the 70's I was in 74 during the 6 week stint.
so in this instance I have good images but a poor memory which means I get latrine duty again!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
jmfeld22

Ira

I think will let you slide, provided you remember how to lash for a lean-too.

Jay
Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
Ira Shuldman

lash you say

u bet I can and really tight and strong. still do it when I get into a bind upstate ny
thanks for the slide and slack.
ira
Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
David Fried

Sorry guys but I am here to report that the reason you can recall wel-met times and memories is because the short term is the first to go and you are reaching that age.
Ah what was I saying???
The good news I will always remember Spider!!!
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
jmfeld22

Smile

All-in-all, we agree the memories were and are great from Wel-Met.

I know there are lessons learned from Wel-Met that I have used even now . . . Hurricane Ike hit Houston, I remembered how to start a fire, cook on a open fire on the BBQ (we have a charcoal BBQ), and somewhat being prepared. We were without power for:

17 days, 23 hours and 40 minutes

Jay
Old 10-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
Leslie Galanter

Jay,

I agree about "the lessons learned at Wel-Met" statement you made. Had I not had those skills that we used on sleep outs or even the 3 day rangers I may have gone bonkers during Hurricane Ike. I found myself making things out of the fallen limbs. Even got creative with the fallen shingles. Rocky mountain toast was great on a propane cooker(so was coffee) Even though there was no need for a latreen I made one as we had a bunch of limbs and alot of spare time. I live in the country so we have a backyard burn pile which made for a great campfire area. When the kids and grandkids returned from their evacuating the storm I taught them games/songs I learned at wel-met. I would go off into my own world as I would start remembering people and things about wel-met. The beer/wine helped a bit too.

Take Care
Leslie
Leslie Galanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
jmfeld22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Galanter View Post
Jay,

I agree about "the lessons learned at Wel-Met" statement you made. Had I not had those skills that we used on sleep outs or even the 3 day rangers I may have gone bonkers during Hurricane Ike. I found myself making things out of the fallen limbs. Even got creative with the fallen shingles. Rocky mountain toast was great on a propane cooker(so was coffee) Even though there was no need for a latreen I made one as we had a bunch of limbs and alot of spare time. I live in the country so we have a backyard burn pile which made for a great campfire area. When the kids and grandkids returned from their evacuating the storm I taught them games/songs I learned at wel-met. I would go off into my own world as I would start remembering people and things about wel-met. The beer/wine helped a bit too.

Take Care
Leslie

Leslie

You cannot imagine the thoughts going through my mind the very first morning I have to make coffee and boil water to wash and shave . . . fire safety was the first thought and next was - "I NEED MY COFFEE". Everyday we were trying to get creative with meals - since no stores were open for the first 4 days after IKE - I needed to remember some of my camp menus.

1) Hamburgers and toast were easy

2) Eggs were easy too . . .

3) Ravioli in the can and well as soups

4) Finally a few restaurants and local groceries were opening and we got a bit more creative

Anyway - as my Dad put it to me . . . " it all finally paid off - "

Jay
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #14
redbear

Still make R M Toast and Wel Met Mish Mosh for my family. on the stove, but if Ike had swayed East it would have been on a propane grill.

My daughter went to Israel this summer with a group of kids her age from the Federation. No Laptop, no cell , she lost her camera the in the first few days....

The other kids posted 1,000's of pic's online, and we will have all the memories forever. They are priceless and I wish I had some from my years at camp.
redbear is offline   Reply With Quote