Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
magicman

Greetings New Member

I attended Wel-Met Camp the summer of 1966. I was ten back then. I remember living in the Algonquian Cabin. We had a sign painted and we were called U.N.C.L.E. Like the television series. On the bottom of the sign we had a big SR. We were told to never tell what that meant. We actually kept that within the cabin the entire summer. All asked from the different cabins, "what is SR." The last night we finally revealed it was "Summer Residence." I remember clearly being on a team. We had sort of a summer Olympics. The name of our team was "Lox." I remember the cheer to this day. "Boom Chica Boom. Boom Chica Boom. Boom Rica Chica Chica Boom Boom Boom. When You're Up You're Up. When You're Down You're Down. When Your Up On The Lox Team Your Upside Down. Hey Hey. Ho Ho. Come On Lox Lets Go!"
Both Carol and Steve were my summer councilors. I was a child at 10 loaded with ADHD back then called hyperactivity. Every darn minute I was in some type of trouble from Steve. Usually had to do a long time-out. It probably was a personality issue or a clash. As for the camp it was fun. I remember going on our small camp-outs and cookouts always using lard in our veggies. I remember going up to one of my closest friends that also attended and cried telling him I wanted to go home. I never really told my parents that. It was parents day, and the staff had a long talk with my folks. These were social workers in the main cabin. Basically they informed my parents about my ADHD and every other problem they could come up with. I was very upset as they were talking to my parents for well over an hour. I lost that dear time with my folks.
Despite all the problems Wel-Met was not so bad. My name back then was Gerard Alan Feigenbaum. In 1971 I legally had my name changed to Jerry Alan Foster for simplicity. The following year I went to Pine mountain Camp in Vermont. I found that much more enjoyable.
Years later I entered Marshall University and doubled majored in Broadcast Journalism and Photo Journalism with minors in Political science, English and History. I graduated in 1979. The Navy became my career and retired. I now live in Simi Valley California. So to the wonderful Social Workers at Wel-Met that told my parents that I was possibly mildly mentally challenged your ignorant diagnosis was quite wrong. Years later when I heard what was said about me I was devastated. At ten years old the staff had told my parents I was not college material. Well Social Workers, I made it through College and had a very successful Navy Career and at 53 years old, I am now enjoying retirement. Other than that Wel-Met was OK. Jerry Foster
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
ArtBefartnickle

Get over it. I bet you were just a little out of control but you seemed to have worked out your problems and had a successful life.

I saw my brother recently who borrowed money from me as his business was going down the crapper. My parents thought the sun rose and set in his ass and he told me that my mother worried about me because she said I was stupid. He said he defended me but between him and my older sister, you can guess the self image created. Well, I went to college, became very successful in business, married and raised a family. I am respected at work and at home for what I have achieved. I even scored high enough to get a scholarship, so take that mom!

So, if you are 10 or, you have children that may appear a little less competent, it is not assured that you will fail or have a bad life. As a counselor at WM, they had a little dosier on each camper and all kinds of crap was in that folder. You will become whom you strive to be, you can overcome many obstacles along the way with preseverence. Enjoy the rest of your life and don't fret over WM.
ArtBefartnickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Harvey Shiffman

Send a message via AIM to Harvey Shiffman
amen, been there too, just brush yourself off and move on. my summers at welmet allowed me to move beyond my parents issues and become what they never expected!!
Harvey Shiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
magicman

You are one hundred percent right. I really did get over it. I simply wanted to vent. I put in 21 years in the Navy and retired as a 0-5 or Commander and served two long tours in the Gulf War. I am a proud member of the Disabled Americans, The American Legion, VFW, Veterans Coalition. Although in my second tour I took two bad hits, I managed to finish my twenty plus years. It was in the year of 2000 and a half that I retired as everything that was fixed fell apart from sea duty. Eleven operations later and now with cane I am fine. I devote my time to talk to the new veterans giving them advice as to what to expect once they are medically boarded out of the military. I relocated to the West Coast because I could no longer deal with East coast weather. I thank you for your response. You actually made me feel a bit better. I tried to post my achievements I received in 21 years, but not certain I did it right. Thank you for response. I was selected along with 239 other members to have my name and rank and war listed in Veterans Plaza. My fiancee will be quite surprised. If you are not certain what those ribbons mean you can look them up if you wish. It was a lot of work and nearly cost me my life. I am a proud retired veteran.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ribbons 002.jpg (21.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Harvey Shiffman

g-d bless all you guys and gals that served , and serve to protect our country, guess we misinterpreted what your true feelings were. just remember most of the camp staff were dedicated underpaid ,talented people who put their blood sweat and tears into trying to help develope us into the people we are today, hang around here a little longer and you will see that most of us are very accomplished in our fields and good socially conscious people, one thing they didnt help is my spelling so i apologize for that
Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
magicman

Everybody must start some place, and I do understand fully. Just like you I also grew. My parents left Long Island in 1971. I was 15 and it was a very hard transition. Northern Virginia had nothing back then. I started a new life and as a freshman in high school I was in the college prep program. I was very lucky as my parents paid for my four years of college. I worked very hard in school and was quite involved with the school newspaper for all four years. It all turned out for the most part to be good. I hated when I left New York. As for as the spelling that does not count, but your responses do.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
magicman

I also must add, God Bless you folks that had to watch kids like me. I was no angel, but not out of control. Just a kid that could not sit still for one darn minute. I think the matter is now considered closed and would like to move on and share some memories that were fond. Example I remember the lake which I think had loads of cat fish. Correct me if I am wrong. Some of the campers brought their own fishing gear. I was one of the lucky ones that looked like I was on Little House on the Prairie. A stick from a tree some string and a hook. I could tell you a fishing story now, but to be perfectly honest, I never caught any fish. Remember spelling does not count.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
ArtBefartnickle

Most of the fish were sunnys as I recall. But you could occassionally catch something more significant. Here is one of the boatgirls in 73 who caught what I think was a fresh water bass. I think we convinced her to throw it back, maybe it is still there today! If it doesn't appear here I will add it to the narrowsberg pictures!
ArtBefartnickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
Harvey Shiffman

think the decency police are gonna get ya
Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #10
magicman

I do not remember seeing that kind of fish or that type of certain species of a cat. Then again what the heck would a ten year old know.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
tgrossman

Send a message via AIM to tgrossman
Are you guys crazy?
Who cares about sunnies or catfish?
What about the hot girl?
tgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
David Fried

that would be me, and yes ABFN, you are officially sent to the Unit Shack with your milk and cookies
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #13
Sharon Pockler Bogar

Smile

Thanks for this great site. I can't wait to learn to navigate it successfully.

I'm off the rec hall for evening activities.

sharon
Sharon Pockler Bogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
David Fried

you are very welcome, you seem to be doing quite well getting around.
Glad you found your way home
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote