Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
EricLiebes

Where was Barryville?

I know this seems like a dumb question--but I was only a camper, never on staff.

So, next Saturday I'm going to be in Port Jervis & have the afternoon free. Was the Barryville Division Lake: Lake York?

That fits my memory of where on earth we were, or am I lost.

Why am I in Port Jervis? My wife & I are judging a dog show at a hotel there & she's up on Saturday, I'm up on Sunday & shouldn't watch her judge the day before.
EricLiebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Ira Shuldman

where is Barryville

Eric,
if you are going to be on 97 the highway that is along the Deleware river, when you get to Barryville there will be a bridge on the left that would go to PA, do not cross it. pass the bridge and keep going north on 97, now here is the tough part, there will be a road on the right about 2 miles maybe less that will have a sharp incline up the mountain. I am sorry to say I am not familiar with the name however it may be the way to York lake. I remember that you keep going up hill until you can go no more. at that point I believe you take a right and that should be able to take you to what was the Barrryville entrance, there may be a fork in the road and the entrance was to the right. However it may be a complex of homes now and the lay of the land may be different.

hope this helps and wish I had the time to make the trip as well.
I was a camper in Barryville the whole welmet time and and western trip 67

good luck
Ira Shuldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
EricLiebes

Can't get to York Lake

The directions worked great..but York Lake Estates is a private community with a closed gate. I got one glimpse of the lake from a private road where a gate was open, but the main area of the camp was closed to travel. I guess I could have gotten in by pretending to shop for property, but I didn't feel like wasting a Realtor's time.
The Delaware River was really pretty, fisherman & a few rafters out there enjoying it.

Descendants of the gnats we remember from camp met me in the thousands every time I got out of the car.

--Eric
Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Ira Shuldman

Barryville

Eric Glad it worked out, did you feel the camp in the air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLiebes View Post
The directions worked great..but York Lake Estates is a private community with a closed gate. I got one glimpse of the lake from a private road where a gate was open, but the main area of the camp was closed to travel. I guess I could have gotten in by pretending to shop for property, but I didn't feel like wasting a Realtor's time.
The Delaware River was really pretty, fisherman & a few rafters out there enjoying it.

Descendants of the gnats we remember from camp met me in the thousands every time I got out of the car.

--Eric
Ira Shuldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
EricLiebes

York Lake Estates

Really, no. The locked gates & lack of access was sad. Also, I thought I'd at least visit the Meatball Monument & that park (Minisink Ford Battle Park) was gated also...even though it said; open 8 am to 8 pm on the closed gate. It was noon.
I guess it is summer only.
The river was nice though.
-Eric