Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
Mitch Feig

Narrowsburg 1976 & 1977

I haven’t seen anybody that I knew as a camper, write-in about those very last years of Wel-Met. I did not go to Wel-Met until 1976 and 1977, and that was only after two years of seriously lobbying my parents. Two of my best friends were regulars, they were completely different types of individuals, and they both loved Wel-Met. I spent those 2 years at Narrowsburg (that was all that was left I think) in Unit 5. By then there was only Unit 5 and Pioneers left.

I remember Spider, I believe that he was an assistant counselor one year. I seem to remember a rumor that he might play guitar with Billy Joel or Jean-Luc Ponty. My counselors were Mike Arbitman (1976) and Jeff Hirsch (1977).

I saw, in the earlier version of this site, that Spider mentioned David Grado. He was one of my two best friends. He also mentioned Steven Giordano who was in my bunk the second year. I think that during my first year, Steven Giordano threw a rock at a skunk (breaking its legs) in the middle of one night. The stench woke up everyone in the unit and it was hell going back to sleep. The second year, when Steven Giordano was in my bunk, he came up to camp a few days late, arriving after lights out. Some of the guys were worried about him based on his reputation and were discussing him speculating on how big he was. Unbeknownst to them Steven was walking toward the bunk and overheard them talking about him, he said something like “the bastard is 5 foot 6 now shut up and go to sleep.”

I recall that the unit was always playing Beatles tunes. The most popular during the summer of 1976, as I remember it, was “All my Loving.”

I also remember the most popular girls were two identical twins Melissa and Jessica (I believe Davidson was their last name). My buddy David dated Jessica for a while. I also recall that during one of my two years at Wel-Met some counselors got drunk and decided to do some deconstruction in the name of the name of sexual equality. If I recall the removed the doors off the stalls in the women’s latrine (there had been none in the men’s latrine) and threw the doors somewhere in the woods. I seem to recall that some of the culprits were eventually identified and perhaps even fired.

The year after Wel-Met closed my two best friends and a couple of others went to Camp Lewis Village (a YMHA camp) in Pennsylvania. It was eight weeks long and slightly more upscale. While I had a decent time, it did not hold a candle to Wel-Met. I loved Wel-Met. I spent time those summers at Wel-Met experimenting with my personality, trying to change those things about me that I thought needed changing and Wel-Met was a great environment to do that. I then returned home a new, more confident person.

I have lots of other memories, but I think this is enough for now. If anyone from 1976-1977 is out there I would love to read about your memories of those summers. I haven’t found any pictures, but if anyone else has pictures it would be great to see them!
Mitch Feig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:04 PM   #2
Michael Ohlstein

Well.....I never played guitar with those guys, but I SAW Juan-Luc Ponty once, got drunk with Liberty DiVito (Billy's drummer), and have been on Billy Joel's 31 Bertram. Close though...

I was the swing counselor for bunks 95 and 97 in 1977, the 'summer of Sam'. You were in 97, I think.

As for Jessica and Melissa, I haven't seen them since about 1988. Jessica and I were sharing an apartment during that summer and Melissa visited. I'm still peripherally in touch with Jessica through a mutual friend. She has a couple of beautiful kids and lives upstate.

So what ever happened to Grado?

Spider
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1977.jpg (1.3 KB, 294 views)
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
Mitch Feig

Wow, I would not have guessed that you and Jessica would remain close for that long. I lost touch with many of my fellow campers shortly after 1977. I remember thinking that Jessica was friendlier than Melissa, but I really did not know either of them that well. I suppose I knew Jessica a little bit better, because of Grado, so that may explain my perspective. I do recall that at the beginning of the summer I could not tell them apart and by the end of the summer they appeared very different to me. Also, it of course doesn’t surprise me that Jessica would have beautiful kids. You know I still think about Jessica and Melissa, and that summer, whenever I hear the Allman Brother’s songs that bear their names.

As for Grado, he and I remained close friends though 10th grade. We both lived in Bayside, Queens and went to the same high school. As I remember it, after 10th grade his relationship with his stepfather had become quite “uncomfortable.” I think there finally was a big falling out and he left home to live with his bio-Dad who, as I recall, had the last name Demarrio. I tried to track Grado down a couple of times, but never succeeded. I heard rumors that he joined the military, but I neither saw nor heard from him again.

Finally, I knew my bunk was number ninety something but I am amazed that you remember the numbers. I still do not personally recall if it was 95 or 97, but I am happy to trust your memory.

Mitch
Old 03-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
MichelleHelfeld

Mitch - Although your name sounds familiar I can't place the face. I went to camp from 1972 until closing and was in unit 5 with you.I also dated David Grado that summer but mostly hung with Richard Bistrong.My friends that summer were Anne Geller ( a redhead) and Lynn Weissman.I have pictures of those twins as well as Jay Rubin,Robert Adler,Bruce Portnoy(not related to Andrea),and Larry Lind.Does anything sound familiar?That was the summer some of us got very drunk(Douglas Secular) and I believe they sent Douglas home.I remember some counselors....Sandy with the long hair,Bobby V.,Melanie,and Artie from the arts and crafts shack.I have a signed pillowcase with a million names on it.I remember two Giordanos -one was with me in unit 34 and the other (maybe the younger brother) in unit 5.Did you move on to pioneers in 1977?
MichelleHelfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:19 PM   #5
Mitch Feig

Yes I do remember you, although not very well. Sadly, I also can’t place the face. Do you remember if you and Grado dated before he dated Jessica? Were you in the same bunk as the twins?

Also Ann Geller sounds extremely familiar, was she rather short? The name Richard Bistrong is also familiar. I also recall Sandy and Artie.

I did not move on to Pioneers in 1977, nor did Grado. We were excited about the prospect for 1978, but alas Wel-Met closed a year too soon. Did you move on to Pioneers in 1977? I seem to recall Grado also dating someone named Lori Zappone. I can’t recall if that was at Wel-Met or the camp we attended in 1978.

As for Doug Secular…at first I thought you had the name wrong, but now, the more I think about it, the more I think you are correct. In 1976 he was in my bunk. His best friend at the time was, I believe, Craig Lipschutz or Lipsay. I met Craig again in college and his name was “Lipsay.” I don’t recall for sure if it was “Lipschutz” or “Lipsay” at Wel-Met. Doug Secular and Grado did not like each other and had a number of fights. I also fought Doug at least once or twice (its amazing how much can happen in six weeks). As I recall Doug and Craig went to Pioneers in 1977. I believe Doug was the only one sent home for drinking, am I right? As I recall Doug was the one who got the alcohol, Johnny Walker Black (I seem to remember being told at the time that “Black” as the good stuff and “Red” was the cheap stuff).

I also remember on the fourth of July in 1976 they brought us all down to the lake. The buzz was that there was going to be fireworks, the bicentennial and all. All they did was pull a raft in the lake with the numbers “1976” on fire.

I don’t know if this would jar your memory, however in 1976 I came to camp with a brace on my hand having severely broken finger a couple of weeks before camp. Also Grado and I had one or two other guys in our bunk from our hometown. One was a very smart, short guy with glasses who had been at Wel-Met for a few years (Danny Weidman) the other was also somewhat short Philip Mendelsohn (1977).
Old 03-25-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
MichelleHelfeld

no I was not in the bunk with the twins but you are correct about Lori Zappone as she was in my bunk.And yes it was craig lipsay-he went to SUNY Albany but I lost track of him.Doug was one of several East Meadow people who went to wel-met and if I remember correctly he was always in trouble with someone.Funny how you remember what brand of liquor I drank that summer!Yes Anne was short as was Lynn.I keep looking back over photos to find you but no such luck.I did move on to pioneers and then was very upset that I never got to go on the western trip.Most of my memories are of things like the smell of wet jeans,the taste of the onion rolls,the sound and smell of the campfires and woods and the muck in the lake!Do you remember a kid that we all called zipper?I think his name was michael but I'm not sure.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
Mitch Feig

Hi again, in response to your note:

Lori Zappone also went to SUNY Albany. I seem to recall a mini-Wel-Met reunion when we first ran into each other there. If you are still looking at pictures, I would guess that back then, I was tall, with curly dark brown hair and probably slightly overweight. Note if you ever have the time to upload them, I would love to see the pictures that you have. I do not recall having any pictures from Wel-Met although the next time I visit my mother’s place I will try to rummage through some of the old photo albums.

As for Zipper I do remember him. I do believe that his first name was Michael and his last name started with a “Z.” I have a feeling it was either Polish or Italian. I also seem to remember he had a girl friend named “Phyllis.” I did not know him well. I seem to remember being introduced to him like he was a minor Wel-Met celebrity of sorts.

I do have similar strong memories: Like the taste of wheatina, the great taste of onion rolls, the pine smell and the smell of Wel-Met mish-mash cooking over a fire. I also remember the feeling of sitting by the lake in those beautiful sunny, but absurdly cold mornings.

Other memories or thoughts I have…

I remember some girl named Gwen, I believe, who on visiting day had quite an entourage. I seem to remember someone following her and carrying around what looked to me like a real TV camera (in the pre-video camera days).

I also wondered if you had any memory of the only girl I “went out with” at Wel-Met. It was my second year, so you were in Pioneers. Her name was either Pam or Debbie. The only other thing I seem to recall is that I believe she had a brother named “Noah” who, as bizarre as this sounds, may have been the boat boy/counselor at Narrowsburg.

Also I noted that Lynn Weissman recently registered for this site. Was it Lynn or Ann Geller or was very petite with short red hair?
Old 03-26-2004, 10:40 PM   #8
dean weber

zipper

mitch: the funny thing is that on western trip 3, 1971 we had guy on the trip named mike zipper- how many people could have that name? and yet, it's clearly impossible, with the time difference, etc
dean weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:50 AM   #9
Mitch Feig

Dean:

You know the dangerous part of trying to remember back to those years is the memory plays tricks on you. Part of me starts to think...well maybe "Zipper" was his last name. But then it could have only been 1976 or 1977, my only two years at Wel-Met, and as I remember it, he was a camper and it appeared that he was not more than a year or so older than me. Perhaps when Michelle replies she can add insight into this. Maybe Spider or others can provide further information. Still, I grant you, the coincidence is bizarre.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:18 PM   #10
MichelleHelfeld

Zipper was definately not the guys last name but a nickname he had.And yes his girlfriend was Phyllis Roth another East Meadow person.She was friends with a girl named Giselle who was from Long Island but I think from Levittown.My pioneers camper list has him listed just as zipper but he was from Valley Stream.Does that help?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:56 PM   #11
Mitch Feig

This morning thinking about April Fool's Day, caused me to remember one of the sillier stories I heard during my first year at Wel-Met. As I recall it was told to me in all seriousness. I don’t recall if any of the “tellers of the tale” claimed to be present when this happened or if they said that they were just relaying a story they had heard. I heard the tale when we had our first canteen order in my first year.

The story I was told went something like this…

A few years ago a new boy came to Wel-Met for the first time. The fellow was known as a prolific letter writer, often writing letters home to family and friends. One day the bunk got the list of canteen items to order. He looked over the list and approached one of his bunkmates. “Hey,” he asked, “what is a stationary belt?”

The bunkmate who was rather quick-witted looked down at the list and said, “Well a stationary belt is very convenient item for people who like to write letters when they go on hikes. It fastens around your waste like a belt, but it has pockets to hold all the important items a letter writer needs. It has a pocket for stationary, obviously, one for pens or pencils, another for envelopes and another for stamps. It’s a really useful item and looks very cool.” I was told that he looked back down at the list and added, “you may want to order some of those stationary napkins too, the belt has a pocket for them as well.” The new camper asked, “What are they for?” “Well,” said the Wel-Met veteran, “as you know letters have a tendency to get dirty or smudged on a hike. Stationary napkins help clean off the dirt and smudges.”

As the story went the boy ordered a “stationary belt” and some “stationary napkins” on his canteen order form. Soon after turning the order form in, he had a visit from his counselor who explained to him what a “sanitary belt” and “sanitary napkins” were.

Even today, when I remember it I find myself giggling a little. I don’t even know if it is really funny to an adult, but when I think of hearing the story I find myself back in my bunk laughing with my bunkmates and for a moment I am an adolescent at Wel-Met again.

If I remember correctly this story was preceded by an effort by one of my bunkmates to convince me to order a “stationary belt.” Careful reading of the canteen form and a vague knowledge that those items were for women and girls however spared me.

Did anybody else hear this story?
Old 04-02-2004, 01:02 AM   #12
David Fried

Talking

Is this funny to an adult? I can't say, but to me as a Wel-Met Camper it's hard to breathe!
Thanks that was Great!
David
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:12 PM   #13
Mitch Feig

The other night while I was walking on my lawn on a rather brisk and amazingly clear New Hampshire evening I had a brief memory of my counselor in Unit 5 in 1976, Mike Arbitman. I assume Spider must have known him. I seem to remember that he was an interesting piece of work. I recall, for yucks, us guys in his bunk referred to him as “Arbitwoman”. We were quite the comedians back then, really creative. I don’t recall if we did it just behind his back or if we called him that to his face.

Looking back it feels almost impossible for me to accept that he was, then, much younger than I am now.

If I recall correctly, Mike wanted to be a doctor. There were times when he was a great counselor. One night in late July/early August, he woke us up at about 2:00 AM, perhaps after partying with some friends, and took us out onto the basketball courts to watch the Perseid meteor showers. I remember lying on that cold hard cement and looking up into that cold, but oh-so clear Wel-Met sky. The absolute beauty of the heavens, the countless number of stars I could see, took my breath way. That evening alone made Wel-Met worth its price. Seeing a couple of shooting stars was just icing on the cake.

On the other hand, Mike could be a little cruel at morning wake up. Mike is still responsible for the absolute worst wake-up I ever experienced in my life. I was sleeping and then “BOOM” I was awake, heart pumping furiously. He had quietly walked into our bunk and dropped maybe a 10-pound rock on the wooden floor of the bunk. I also remember that Mike would pull the blanket and then the mattress off our bunks, with us in it, if we did not at least sit up in our bed moments after he started waking us up.

I am not positive, but I also thought that Mike was involved in the “stealing of the doors in the girl’s bathroom escapade” that I mentioned in the first email of this string. I do not recall if he was definitely involved and if so whether he or others were caught or reprimanded. I remember being surprised that the girl’s bathroom had doors on the stalls and the boy’s bathroom did not. I may not have even known that fact, until hearing of the prank the next morning.

While Mike was at times cruel, I recall liking him very much and that the bunk was fiercely loyal to him.

Sadly, I don’t believe he was back the next summer.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:03 PM   #14
Michael Ohlstein

Mike and I shared a tent in 1977. I was the swing counselor for bunks 95 and 97. I think Mike was the full time bunk 95 counselor.

Mike was a good guy, but sometimes not to quick on his feet.

Had he been a little more 'with it' on August 4th, 1977, the trooper would never have seen that pipe, and we would never have been arrested in New Paltz that night.........

We spent hours trying to get the last of the fingerprint ink off so that no one would know.

Spider
Old 04-24-2004, 07:11 AM   #15
Marc

Hi...Glad you guys had a good time that summer. I was the UD and remmeber these stories quite well. To this day, I still have a coffe mug that the Davidson twins made for me at A&C.
Have a smooth day.
Marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:27 PM   #16
Michael Ohlstein

As it happens, Jessica and I met several years later at SUNY Binghamton, and shared an apartment one summer.

We're recently back in touch.

Spider
Old 07-03-2005, 12:26 AM   #17
Amy Basis Brown

My sister, Loren Basis, was best friends with Jessica and Melissa. They all went to school together, and she got the twins to go to Wel-Met with us. Loren has a lot of great camp stories (she tells my kids them all the time), so I'll have her sign in and share them herself. She hasn't spoken to Jessica or Melissa in a while, but would probably love to get in touch again.

Amy (Loren's Little Sister)
Amy Basis Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #18
David Fried

Amy,
Mike's very good about answering, but I know he is on Vac for a week.
Look for something from him next week
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:09 AM   #19
DougG

1976- I was the nature counselor in Unit 5. Two incidents come to mind. I used to take the bunks on "edible plant walks". I remember pointing out one plant, called Touch-Me Not, and commenting that it could be used to treat poison ivy. A few days later a camper comes to me with a red rash and asks if I could help him with the poison ivy on his arms- we went and collected the leaves, per Euell Gibbons recipe, and made a concoction to put on his rash. The next week I get called into Barry Morowitz' office (CD), to explain why I was treating a case of impetigo with herbal remedies (the camper had written to his parents that the nature counselor had his rash under control). So much for my diagnosis skills. maybe that's why I'm in research.

Another time I recall being called into the CD's office after one bunk wanted to make wintergreen wine- which we actually got to ferment, but only very little. Nonetheless, Barry had to answer to the camper's parents who were not exactly happy with the nature counselor's projects.

One of my fondest members was fishing, though. Unbeknownst to many, that lake, and Ghost lake as well, were two great lakes for smallmouth bass. Many times my bunks would catch fresh fish and cook them that night for dinner. In fact, as I recall, Barry would sometimes find out where we were camping and meet us for fresh fish dinners in the woods.

Great times.

Doug Greger

Last edited by DougG; 07-12-2005 at 04:04 PM.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:20 AM   #20
Michael Ohlstein

Quote:
Originally posted by Amy Basis Brown
My sister, Loren Basis, was best friends with Jessica and Melissa. They all went to school together, and she got the twins to go to Wel-Met with us. Loren has a lot of great camp stories (she tells my kids them all the time), so I'll have her sign in and share them herself. She hasn't spoken to Jessica or Melissa in a while, but would probably love to get in touch again.

Amy (Loren's Little Sister)
I remember your sister.... please send her my regards.

Have her email me and I will forward Jessica's contact info.

Spider
Old 07-31-2005, 02:12 AM   #21
Rebecca

Red face I'm so happy to have found this forum!

I'm just screaming aloud here having just found this forum! I only just received the reunion invitation for this past June. I'm so sorry to have missed it... I am eager for stories!!

Hello, Michelle! It has been a very long time, dear EMudholer!

Have you, or anyone else, been in touch with Nina, Becky, Julie or Josh Pearlman, my cousins? I remember, Michelle, you and Nina were good friends, with Phyllis, Zipper, Helayne, "Gio", Lipsky (Lipsay??) and good ol' Doug Secular. I learned so much about 'being BAD,' and playing pranks, drinking, and making hickies from the lot of you ;-) -- isn't that how Zipper got his name?? I remember, too, Mara, Dianna Goldberg?, Debbie Rubenstein, and Randy somebody or other on whom I had a mega-crush, and was hoping he'd share his MONO with me, to spend the time in the Infirmary with him. Hm. Silly girl.

I think I remember you, Mitch.

I remember Vinnie Gazzone, my first "inappropriate" boyfriend, c.1973.

Of course I remember the Greenberg cousins.

I remember well "All Boats In... All Boats In NOWWWWW...!!!"

...And packing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to be eaten while dangling toes in the cold river we'd hike to.

...and oh that night when Gio hit the skunk with the stone...

<more, next post...>
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:17 AM   #22
Rebecca

Steven "hatman" Giordano and the skunk...

Amazingly, I was recalling this story only today for the first time in years when I saw some embarrassing teen commercial...

It was about nine at night; I was on my way to the girls' bathroom with Helayne, Steven's girlfriend, running to beat curfew and the oncoming storm. "Gio" was flirting, blocking our way, and wanted to show off. I watched him throw the rock, and heard the skunk wail. We were quickly sent back to our bunks; I don't think I got a chance to pee. That night I tried to sleep under my moldy, moist, smelly wool blanket, listening to the pouring rain, and cursing Steven Giordano for the dreadful stench. For hours I told myself to sleep to wait out the rain. Ultimately, I fell asleep, and dreamt of finding my flashlight, raincoat and flipflops, and going to the girls' room. I was about 11, and I peed in my bed! I remember crying as I slept in it from probably 4am-ish till first crack of light.

I had the top bunk. I think Helayne slept under me.

Well... this has been cathartic...

;-)

Hey... I didn't remember that Howard Stern went to Wel-Met. Who else that we'd all know??

God bless you all... I'm so grateful to have been a Wel-Met camper, and to participate in these memory lane rides...
Old 08-01-2005, 12:03 AM   #23
Amy Basis Brown

I think I was in your bunk when we were 8 or 9. There was a Becky and a Becca who were cousins. One was talll and blonde, the other shorter and brunette. Which one are you? Did you have a counselor named Sandy Hecht with really long hair?
I can't remember when that was.
Amy
Old 08-01-2005, 01:26 AM   #24
Michael Ohlstein

I believe that Sandy worked at camp in 1975 and 1976. If you go to the photos home page and search for 'sandy' you'll find a picture of her from the reunion. She'll be sitting on a portch, on the far right.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #25
Rebecca

Becky or Becca

What a memory, Amy! I'm Becca, still a short brunette. Becky is tall, blonde and still a bombshell.

I remember an Amy, but I don't recognize your last name(s). I remember a Yael, too, very early, like Unit 1, 1971-ish. I remember I loved to get and give massages... (still do...)

'Got any pics from those years?

I don't recognize Sandy from the photo, but the name sounds familiar, tho' everyone is sounding familiar as I scan through these pages.

Last night, I had dreams of Douglas Secular waiting to get sent home, and Howard Stern on the basketball court, mouthing off.

Memories are starting to come back...

Tell me more stories, Amy...
Old 08-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #26
MichelleHelfeld

Rebecca....i must be going senile....are you the rebecca who has a little brother ben?You lived in east meadow and are a year younger?If so I have posted a picture of you from camp in the section from the 70's page 2! But for some reason I wrote your name as lisa.In the unit 34 camper list, were you in the bunk with mara miller and loren basis?But the list has you as lisa not becca! I'm confused! I remember a shari diamond and a lisa brody so maybe that was the brain blip.if so...very sorry! it was deena goldberg ( she lives in my area on long island) and she was "cousins" with richard bistrong.As for nina...I believe she logged on somewhere try the western trip threads.Yes I was friends with nina and remember that becky was friends with douglas seculars little sister as well as todd grossmans little sister.They all used to come visit at schmooze when I was in unit 5.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #27
Rebecca

reply to Michelle

Hello, Mich!

Yes, I am the Rebecca with the younger bro, Ben, and the older sister (by one year), Lisa, one year your junior. The pic you posted is of my sister and brother; you were right with the naming.

Thanks for posting that pic; all your pics are great! I remember you as tall, thin and beautiful. Your pic reminds me that you were small, thin and beautiful. Perceptual shift from that of a 6 or 7 year old...

I remember people would always ask if I were related to Shari Diamond, and would often hear Lisa Brody's name, but neither are related.

Can you please tell Deena I say hi? Please have her write if you're still in contact.

You're right about cousin Becky; she was friends with Erica Grossman, Todd's sister; Erica also went to EMHS, and, oddly enough, dated my OTHER cousin (Dad's side), Marc Diamond at WM. That was wild for me to witness ;-).

Doug Secular had a younger sister? Ever see/speak with him??

I saw Nina's post after I'd responded here first. My sister said Nina went to the reunion. Were you there? Stories to share??

Are you still in EM? on LI?

It's great to hear from and of you. I wish you the best.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:12 PM   #28
MichelleHelfeld

okay...now I remember.You were a few years younger and not in my unit but lisa was.I did go to the reunion and was not able to find anyone i remembered with the exception of some counslors.Most of the camp was the same but unit 5 looked really different as they enclosed the bunks. So tell lisa to log on.where is she now?I remember you more from temple than from camp.no i haven't kept in touch with douglas secular.I believe that craig lipsay went to suny albany but I haven't been in touch with him.And yes I was very tall and very thin ....camp just made me thinner.But thanks for the compliment!!!My 13 year old is in camp about 5 minutes away from wel-met and everytime I go up to see her it brings back such memories.thanks for straightening me out on the diamond family tree and I hope you were not offended that I couldn't remember which one you were..somehow I never got you in the camp pictures!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #29
Rebecca

Michelle, Lisa sends her regards; she'll visit this site soon, she promised. She's the mother of three gorgeous, bubbly girls who are of young camp age, making their own memories at a camp not unlike Wel-Met, but NOT Wel-Met. Sad we weren't able to share our Camp with our children, no matter how close...

My sister and I were trying to figure out exactly which years we were at Wel-Met; I'm not 100% sure...

We went away "as a family" in the summer of 1977; that was the last year of Narrowsburg, right? I remember that I didn't want to go to Israel -- I was missing the best ever -- and I had to go to some local 4H camp (oh horror!) for lack of any other choice the following year.

I also remember that I was one of the youngest campers ever; does anybody know how old the youngest camper was?

I thought I started going to Wel-Met at 6 years old, already a year after I'd wanted to go; Lisa says 8.

So perhaps I remember more years than I was really there; I guess I was trying to rush things anyway, hangin' out with the older crowds... ;-) I'm going to change my bio to '72-76.

After seeing those pics of Howard Stern, and talking with my sister, and after that dream last night, I can't stop hearing Howard hollering, "meatballs... hairy meatballs..." or something like that?!? He was quite boisterous even then...

Funny how I'd blocked those memories...

I knew he seemed familiar when his radio show first came out...

Last edited by Rebecca; 08-02-2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #30
Amy Basis Brown

Rebecca,
It's funny you thought you were the youngest camper, because my first summer at Barryvillle, I was definitely the youngest. I was 6 turning 7 that September. I was never quite sure I was remembering it right. Six seems so young now, but my sister had gone the year before and I couldn't wait another year. I went for 3 weeks, but it was 6 weeks every summer after that. I used to lie and say I was homesick, so I could get candy at the "Homesick Club".

I think I have a picture of you and your cousin Becky, with a girl named Jill? You are sitting at the waterfront and you are wearing a shirt that says "Becca". I have to dig it up at my parents' house. Most of my pictures are so blurry nobody is recognizable (what do you expect from a 7 year old). I remember some names... Jennifer Gaynor, Lisa Klein, Damon Lazar (huge crush on him), Jamie Nayor. Are any familiar? My 3rd or 4th summer I started going with my best friend from home, Patti Aronofsky. Her younger brother Darren, directed the movies Pi and Requiem For A Dream. I can't remember if he ever went to Wel-Met.

I remember doing Round-Up before dinner. Once we sang "Why Must I Be A Teen-Ager in Love" and "Run Joey Run". There was also "The Enlarging Machine", where someone would have a small toothpaste or shampoo, throw it into the enlarging machine, and then a bigger version of the item would come flying out. This went on a few times and then someone in a rain poncho would say "I don't believe this" and spit into the machine. They would then get drenched with a big bucket of water. I think some bunk would do that one every year. Do you remember "Is it time yet?" I'll tell that one next time.
Amy