Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2004, 02:17 PM   #1
ArtBefartnickle

Wester Trip 5 1970

I have scanned my memory to see what was there and found that the brain cells still have retained some of there former elasticity. Some of the characters and some of the memories:

Pick up at 50 Madison. Not being a wel met long timer being dropped off and not knowing anyone was a little disconcerting. Don't remember the ride but all the stuff in duffle bags being loaded and people saying goodbye. Saw Marc Cunningham (where are you?) who was like 6'5" (I was 6'1" so I knew I wasn't going to be the tallest kid there). Got up to Silver Lake, learned how to set up a tent handed a sleeping bag and formed into groups. Leader was Mal Weissman, Carlton of Silver Lake Kitchen Fame was the admin, Mindy Deitz was my counselor (sorry for dogging out in 74 from school camping, you will need to eventually forgive me, I had my reasons, till this day, remain deeply personal), Monte (Judy), Marc and Ritchie that was the rest of the staff. Two days later, on our way to St Louis throught the night 24 hours straight with Walt (that name seems to appear on other trips, could it be the same Walt?) driving that magic bus. I'm You captain seems to be the song for the trip but lets not forget Carole King-still brings back memories. St louis was Hot! Mike Levine pretended to lose his contact (he didn't wear any) at a pizzaria and had two of St Lou's finest down on thier hands and knees looking, very funny and then pretended to find it. Off toJensby's. Guitars aplenty with Pete Goldberg (I might be stopping down at Duke this summer so be prepared), roberta Rippotella, Suzanne Davis (you were more that you ever imagined). Sherry F (left your last name out to protect your idenity) stalking all the eager boys tents at night. Sleeping almost in the corn crib. Pig stink made me never want to be a farmer. If I recall, we all had to cook our own recipes. Kramer, you pain the rear vegetarian, go get a good steak! Colorado, camping with my boots on, really cold at night, horse back riding in the great divide. Off to Meas verde. In a driving rain storm in my tent with Suzanne Phillips caught by Mal was I ever embarrassed. Glen Sherman, weren't you going out with her that summer? A night at the laundry mat and off to 4 corners. Walking with Alice Weisel and some indians come up in a pick up and ask us what tribe we were from (you had the most beautiful black hair).. . No we were Europeans! Sorry! Grand Canyon to the bottom sliding down the switchbacks. Boy scouts Vs welmet football, I don't know if we won, but we hurt a lot of those biys. Pretty magnificent, someday i'm gonna go back. Some city in Arizona or was it New Mexico, I think it was Santa Fe NM, with the ancient church. Rodeo in Oklahoma, Mike again starts a riot with his Peace Helmet us vs the cowboys. Neal Weiss (You snuck into my NPS IM football team picture, go back to Gage) and Scott Cohen. Susan Itzkovitz and suzanne Lubowitz. Do we have a minion yet?

Great Smokey mountains, Dead Rattle snake in the road and then back to WM for our last day together at Silver Lake. Sorry Mark Cohen, for being mean to you that night. You should not have hit me in the face with that ball, it wasn;t very nice. Made a lot of friends that summer and experienced things that I never would have. Oh, the places i've been and the people i've seen. 1971 was even better. I probably could go on but I've probably bored the hell out of you all.

Anyone who wants to add to this please feel free to do so.
ArtBefartnickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
susan gusoff

WT5, 1970

That was a nice trip down memory lane. Two that you didn't mention were me and Steve Pansky, who I eventually married!
susan gusoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Scott

Geez Susan you married Steve and I thought you were so cute too. If I remember correctly didn't your Dad own a store on Union Turnpike and Main Street in Flushing? Glad to see you posted here. Would love to hear from you guys.

Scott

sbcohen426@aol.com

Last edited by Scott; 06-08-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
susan gusoff

I'm old now and can barely remember my own name! How can you remember a carpet store in Queens..I'm impressed. And you're right!
We used to have some pictures of the WT, they were mine, Steve took none, and got ruined in an unfortunate bathroom flooding (you don't want any more details), but I think I might still have the original list of campers somewhere. If anyone is interested, I'll dig thru.
Sue Gusoff
SGPII@aol.com
Old 06-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
susan gusoff

Lightbulb the camper list, as promised

Ruth Aronson, Mitch Bernstein, Glenn Biren, Amy Blumberg, Marc Cohen, Scott Cohen, Robert Cohn, Marc Cunningham, Susan Davis, Cheri Young (Freedman), Gail Geller, Steve Gellman, Ellen Germain, Peter Goldberg, Susan Gusoff, Patti Herman, Ray Hershbain, Sue Itzkowitz, Robert Katz, Wendy Keir, Ellen Kramer, Laura Kramer, Penny Landsman, Mike Levine, Sue Lubowitz, Paul Myer, Steve Pansky, Suzanne Phillip, Fred Pollack, Roberta Riportella, Ivy Rosenberg, Andy Rubenstein, Joyce Satkowitz, Art Shaiman, Elliot Simon, Karen Stevens, Craig Swick, Sandy Tendler, Neal Weiss, Alice Wysell.
Karl Davis, Mal Weisman, Judy Braun, Mindy Duitz, Richie Frieman, Mark Finkle and Walt Dember

Sorry for any typos or omissions.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
Scott

I do not remember only 5 or 6 of the folks. I know where pictures are. Now I have to dig to get them. I will try as soon as the heat dies down and then figure out how to scan them to the site.

Scott
Old 06-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
Rob Cohn

Susan I did not think you were romantically involved with Steve Pansky on the trip. I thought you were madly in love with some good looking tall skinny kid on the trip, but I can't remember his name.
Rob Cohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
ArtBefartnickle

Scott Cohen weren't you and neal weiss romatically involved during the trip? I could be wrong but, I'm just not sure.

Susan, thank you for the name list. i went back and looked at all of you in my minds eye and came away with at least 30 that I have a picture of. Look at the picture by the bus and you can try to pick them out.

This past week I went to Nashville to attend my son's Orientation at Vanderbilt. I guess on the western trip we were in nashville because here was an exact duplicate of the parthanon thazt I recalled. My familyand i went at night to the grand ole opre (the reyman theatre not the new fancy one). I remember sitting up on the left during some he-haw like performance in 1970. drove down past the Blue Ridge mountains and swore that someday I would move their and live a perpetual wel met existence to the end of my days.

I missed Narrowsburg reunion but felt the rain on my yellow poncho standing in front of the dining hall after walking up from unit 1,2,5/Birch Lodge. There have been maybe 5 periods in my life where I was really happy, two were at wel met.

Scott, you must work a little harder at remembering. In 1971 I stopped by Barryville and saw you and cunningham working in the kitchen. I was at narrowsburg working. Does anyone know what happened to Carlton? I worked with Carlton in the Silver lake kitchen and that was the last I saw him.
ArtBefartnickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
susan gusoff

I think his name was Bob...but he didn't want to be called that. Somehow it stuck. But you are right. No affiliation with Steve til waaay after the trip.

Does anyone think that Robert Katz is a billionaire computer nerd somewhere?

I worked in Narrowsburg in the office for the two years after the trip, roomed in Birch Lodge (how cool was I?) with Joyce Satkowitz. Where are you now Joyce? Had more fun than I should have with the bakers..Jerome, et al, Once, some kitchen guys and I walked to Silver Lake to a bar, someone bought me a Rusty Nail and said it wasn't too strong, I staggered back, there may have been assistance involved in the return trip.

Also, Mark Landsberger worked in the kitchen at that time. I didn't really remember him from that, but he came up to me at my job in Boston many years later, accused me of being Sue Gusoff, and said he remembered me from Wel-Met. We became good friends. Any of you remember him?
Old 06-18-2005, 12:15 AM   #10
CarolPotashnick

Hello fellow 1970 trippers...I was on trip 2 but I knew Mark Landsberger from my Narrowsburg camper days. I saw him in 1972 at the Park Bar - I was working in Barryville and he was in Narrowsburg. He was going to be starting at Dartmouth after that summer, if I remember correctly. Hi Scott!
CarolPotashnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #11
Scott

Ok I wasn't doing anything with Neal but I somehow thought you and Mal were doing it . I was too busy with other people. You said it was the beard that tickled you or was that Mark Finkel and his mustache. I lost track of Carelton so many years ago. I remember Ralph Weeks calling out for him in the kitchen and then hearing coming Ralph and then some crashes from him walking in to the walls. He was living in Staten Island. Coach Cunningham worked one summer in Barryville. Ray Herschbain also worked in the BArryville kitchen and then went on to Silver Lake when Barryville closed. He and I recently hooked up again at my 50th birthday party. My wife found him in Queens. Bob Katz must be a computer zillionaire. he just had that way about him. Maybe he is really Bill Gates.

Hi Carol hope you are doing well.

I am looking for 2 good Wel Met friends that I cannot find anywhere. Kathy Snediker and Hilary Barker. Where are you?

Also where is Russ Lesiner (Ruff)
Old 06-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
Sid Suss

Art,

Hillary Barker was at the reunion on Saturday... assuming there is only one Hillary Barker, she was there with her brother Larry.
Sid Suss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 08:30 PM   #13
Scott

Sid

That only helps if you know how to get in touch with Hillary.

Scott
Old 06-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #14
Sid Suss

I don't have her contact info, but Larry's on the site... he'll chime in...
Old 06-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #15
Sid Suss

Here's Larry's contact info from anothe post on the board:

Cell: 215 262 4912
Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 AM   #16
Rob Cohn

I found some pictures of our Trip I will see if I can post them
Rob Cohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #17
Scott Cohen