Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
Marlenec77

Smile Barryville, 3 week sessions? '62-'67

I started thinking about my summers at Wel-Met after I had a random thought about the "Red Apple Rest"! For 6 consecutive summers, I attended the 3 week sessions at Barryville ( '62- '67). I would love to connect with other campers who might remember me. The people I remember are "the twins.... Lenny & Micky" Alice? Ellen S ? Marian? Liz Feller? Bobby White? Devorah? Ellen Tanner? Michael Dobbs? Calvin? My summers at Wel-Met were the best ever! I wasn't able to attend the 1968 Western trip because that summer I moved to California. I felt I never really got to say goodbye & feel cheated that I couldn't go on the trip. I would love to connect now with anyone who might remember me. Looking at the pictures on the web site made me want to plan a trip to see the camp again. Has anyone gone back????
Marlenec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
Cindy Marks

Hi Marlene,

Your name doesn't ring a bell but some of the others do. I was a 3-weeker in 65 and 66, Unit V and Pioneers. I did get to go on the Western Trip in 67. I was staff at Barryville 70-72.

Two years ago at the Narrowsburg reunion a group of us from PC 71 6-weeks when I was staff went back to Barryville. It is a gated community of summer homes but mostly undeveloped. The main road past Unit IV and the old Pioneers still exists down to the waterfront which has become over grown making the "big rock" a whole lot smaller! The ball fields near the waterfront are overgrown too. We went swimming in the lake and it felt the same. None of the bunks or any other buildings are still standing but the foundation of the Pavillion near the Unit II/III ball fields is still there and we found the route to "new" Pioneers which was in the woods near the Pavillion. We found lots of remains there, the "stage", tent platforms, showers, cookout pits and tons of memories. For me the land still held lots of memories and felt very peaceful. It looked different enough especially with the passage of years but had the same feel. The lake was as beautiful as ever and the old PC campsite was still visible on the other side.

While we were there we met someone with a home on the property and they were really interested in hearing our stories of the past. The land was mostly undeveloped and even tho it was different than 40 years ago it wasn't hard to recreate shared memories while walking away from the lake like we used to do so many years ago.

There were a few other 3 weekers at the big reunion 2 years ago but we were grossly underrepresented. 3 weeks was long enough to create strong memories but my real ties to camp are from the Western Trip and my staff years.

Hope all this helps, there are people who know how to get into the gate at Barryville, I live near Seattle do it doesn't come up too often.

Cindy
Cindy Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
dana

hi cindy,
were u a unit 1 couselor in barryville 1970 & did your family live in manhatten? my name is dana 'dani' swiskay, i was a unit 1 barryville counselor, 1970. i had a boys bunk and my co-counselors name was peter. i remember being good friends with cindy - dont remember the last name, and we may have also shared a tent.
just wondering.......dana
dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Cindy Marks

Hi Dana,
I'm not that Cindy, sorry. I was in Unit 4 in '70 and then Pioneers in '71 and '72. My family lived in Queens. Those were great years. Was back at Barryville in '05 during the Narrowsburg reunion, it's still beautiful tho very different.
Cindy
Cindy Marks is offline   Reply With Quote