Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #31
n1303k

Wt 4, 1974

Though nobody remembers but me, I was on Western Trip 4 in the storied summer of 1974. We listened to Richard Nixon's resignation on a radio while sitting in the corn bin at the Jensby farm in Webber, Kansas. Woody Belkin, our trip director, wrote a great national anthem for Prussia -- why he did that I don't know, but it was definitely an example of performance art. What he had in mind was the anthem being sung at a baseball stadium, where the crowd would be divided in two, half singing the melody and the other half doing a kind of surly basso continuo part that involved just singing the word "prussia" over and over again. The anthem ended with a crazed woman in the middle of the stadium shrieking and making the whole thing stop.

One of my most vivid memories was that one of the counselors, Howie, spent the whole trip talking about his own genitalia. I found this odd at the time, odder still when Howie told me on one occasion that radio was his "chosen field."

As if it was yesterday, I can recall thinking: Yeah, right. Like this LOSER is ever going to go anywhere in radio!!

Moral: I am certifiably the world's worst predictor of future success, particularly in the media business.
n1303k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #32
Adrienne

Howie Stern

Don't feel too bad. Years ago, I briefly dates one of the founders of MTV and I said to him, "Bad idea. Why would ANYONE want to WATCH radio?" Good thing he didn't listen to me, eh?

<<One of my most vivid memories was that one of the counselors, Howie, spent the whole trip talking about his own genitalia. I found this odd at the time, odder still when Howie told me on one occasion that radio was his "chosen field."

As if it was yesterday, I can recall thinking: Yeah, right. Like this LOSER is ever going to go anywhere in radio!!>>

Moral: I am certifiably the world's worst predictor of future success, particularly in the media business.[/quote]
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:20 AM   #33
Rdeisen

Off the topic of Howard Stern

I was on the WT 1970. We also stopped at Jensby's Farm (why did they let us stay there anyway?). I did not remember the name of the place until reading this thread about Howie. I remember going into Nebraska to go food shopping. Is there anyone out there that did this and do you remember the name of the town? I remember setting up our tents in 114 degree heat and melting. There was a farm hand there who claimed he had some loco weed but did not share. Were there some kind of caverns near there or am I confusing this with another stop? BTW, is there anyone out there that was on the '70 WT 2? This was the WT that had a tire blowout somewhere in the Rockies. The bus driver saved our lives by bouncing the bus into the mountain side to keep us from flying off into a canyon. Does anyone have memories of Mesa Verde or Crested Butte?
Rdeisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #34
Maxene

Arrow

If anyone knows how I can catch this interview with Howard, that I unfortunately missed. Please advise

Thanks
Maxene

Barryville Staff
1968 ish to early 1970's my memory fails me and I'm too lazy to check
Maxene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #35
Rdeisen

Smile Howard Stern interview

Hi Maxene,
I think I can get a copy of the interviews to you. Send your address to my email. rdeisen@gmail.com

Barrysville '67-69 Western trip '70
Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #36
Maxene

Thanks sending you my email as we speak
Maxene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #37
Rdeisen

wrong email address

rdeisen54@gmail.com
Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #38