Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > The Old Guest Book
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #1
David Fried

Old guest book first section

Message: Wel-Met Camps taught me everything I know. It truly molded me into the woman I am today. Sharing it all and becoming a team player. So many names stay so fresh in my mind. I wonder where you all are. Each summer was better than the one before. There was one thing I remember vividly about every summer.....No bras and freedom of speech. So where are you David Schmerler, Steve Gabay,Jeff Light, Paul Levine,Seth and Phil Myones, Steve Garfinkel, Steve Bandel, Leslie Baravick, Debbie Navarro, Michelle Rodoletz, Pam Ralph and Al Maxman I was your unit clerk in Siver Lake. That was the summer I learned how to kill flies and save them in the match boxes we used for cookouts. I have only fond memories of all my camp friends. I love explaining to my children that our Friday night services included candlelighting and Kumbaya my Lord. They get a good laugh. Whenever the stress level gets tough in my world today and can calm myself with the picture of the lake throught the woods behind unit 3 in Narrowsburgh or the same view of the lake in the woods behind Pioneers.Love to hear from anyone who actually remembers me.

Name: Wendy Roseman

Email: wild1wendy @ aol.com

City: Oceanside

State: NY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: David Nodiff and I are going to road trip on Friday, 18 April. Any takers? In any case, count me in on helping to organize a re-union!Still hope to hear from some friends, Narrowsburg, 1971-1977.

Name: Richard Bistrong

Email: Bistrong@armorholdings.com

City: Ponte Vedra Beach

State: FL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: Anyone heard from Jackie Potter and Shana Deitchman in the last 25 years? Jackie used to have the greatest reunions. Stairway to Heaven and all those great songs. Think about camp often since I have two girls now having a great expierence at sleep away camp. Love to hear from people who went to Narrowsburg Division from 1969-1975ish. Western Trip 3 I think in 1975.

Name: Ilene Roseman-Ratner

Email: boobwalla@aol.com

City: Long Beach

Name: Roberta Grubman

Email: SSteinee@aol.com

City: Carmel

State: CA

Message: attended camp at narrowsburg from age 11 to 14 and i am now 48 so you figure out the math!my sisters ilene and wendy also attended camp. my most vivid story is the nite we were on a sleep out and they lost this kid named howie. they brought dogs to find him and it was so frightening ill never forget that. then ofcourse thethree sided bunk in unit five when the racoon was sniffing my bed after visiting day.those were the days. dont remember anyones name but marcia weisenthal i think it was from unit three

Name: sandie roseman

Email: sfoppie9@aol.com

City: long beach

State: ny

Message: oldtimer on this list- Narrowsburg 56,58-62, Yellowstone trip 63. I scrolled down this list and finally found a familiar name, besides the previous writer, Amy, who told me about this site- wasnt I on that hike too? or does it just seem that way because Ive heard about it so many times? The other name was Gail Karlitz. I, too, was in the inaugural summer of Unit 5 which seemed very exciting at the time. I dont have quite as vivid memories of the Berlin Wall discussions, maybe I wasnt paying attention.I was the one who always gave away rest time candy bars because I didnt like them, except for the Hershey bars where I once found a maggot. Also remember a hike from Unit 2 where my shoe, or maybe it was a boot sunk into some marshy area we were sure was quicksand. Also, hearing about Marilyn Monroes death while building the volleyball court for Pioneers.and on and on.When my sister Margaret logs on, shell be an even older timer.

Name: Susan Horowitz

Email: suhorowitz@aol.com

City: San Diego

State: Ca.

Message: This is a great site! Thanks for setting it up. I have warm memories of Wel-Met and went back to visit several years ago and found Camp Sternberg. It was wonderful to see the place again, even though it was not quite the same. I was a camper in Narrowsburg from 1956-62, Yellowstone trip in 1963, TAC in 1964, and then a unit clerk in Barryville for 1965 and 1966. Id love to hear from others who were there during those years andor who went on the Yellowstone trip back then it was not the called the Western trip then. My fondest memory of that trip was that my friend Phyllis and I got separated from the rest of the group on a hike in the Grand Tetons. We were lost for several hours, sitting by a beautiful mountain stream relaxing. After a while, we took off our hiking boots and one of hers began to float down the river. We could not retrieve it. I gave her my socks to hike back in, and I wound up getting terrible blisters from wearing boots without socks! But we loved every minute of it......

Name: Amy Rosen

Email: akrosen@bu.edu

City: Belmont

State: MA

Message: Another quick flashback memory. Hiking in the woods that we had been in many times but for whatever reason, we from Bunk 95 get absolutely lost. This sites founder and creator Mike Alterbaum spots a tree that literally looked more like a phone pole with not too many nooks and crannies or branches for footing. He proceeds to climb and shimmy his way straight up and climbs so high we cant see him anywhere. No other human except for one of the Flying Wallendas could have climbed that tree!! He spots a clearing and leads us to safety. Mike---you were and always be my hero!!!!!!!

Name: Mark Cukierman

Email: bubsmachin@aol.com

City: Wayne

State: NJ

Message: It was awesome reading some of the new entries posted in the journal - made me dig up my old Western Trip photos from the summer of 1970. Im going to try posting them on the site, but located pictures of Debbie Nodoff, David Eidler, David Sarner, Eve Ruff, Donna Peltz, Donna Mayer, Patty Pomerantz, Paul Basuk, Steve Cohen, Diane Kaplan and many others. Id love to hear from anybody and share Wel- Met memories!Julie

Name: Julie Light

Email: Peeeches2@yahoo.com

City: Long Island

Message: Hi - Fran, Ilene and all Western Tripers of 1976, trip 4. I found some great pictures of you guys, simone and others including counselors. I am having them scanned in and will e-mail them to the site administrator. I talked to Robin Bernstein in college and even visited her in the hamptons, but have not talked to her since. Watch out for these great pictures.

Name: Stuart Diamond

Email: Stuartd@optonline.net

City: Great Neck

Message: Hi Jane:we definitely rode our bikes Whitestone to visit shushy--since she and I were an item. What else could make me ride about 40 miles roundtrip. I picked you guys up in Westbury then we headed off. Last time I saw Marty was in an SAT prep class--i dont think it helped! We must find Shushy!Mike Alterbaum--Count me in for reunion organizing help

Name: Michael Stahl

Email: mstahl@bestfriendphotos.com

City: Montclair

State: nj

Message: Its great to see so many posts from western trip 1 in 1972 I too have many pics, that i will try to scan and get posted. wow, finkie, and vickie i cant beleive it! Its been so long and yet the memories seem like yesterday. Mike if I remember we road bicycles with Marty Gray to shushys house or was it Taras or Terris by the whitestone bridge for a reunion we were nuts! Martin Gray are you out there?When my kids learned the song the wheels on the bus go round and it never failed to put a smile on my face.thanks beth !

Name: Jane Levy

Email: JIC41@aol.com

City: Hicksville

Message: I went to Narrowsburg from 1969 to 1975 and then worked in the office until the camp closed in 1977. I would love to hear from old friends. Thanks for the great website. It brought back some great memories.

Name: Janet Jupiter

Email: jmjupiter@aol.com

City: Bellmore

Message: I believe that this is the perfect time to organize a huge family get-together. I am talking about an incredible Wel- Met reunion folks! It would be the kind that only happens once every fifty years or so, and based on our ages, THE TIME IS NOW!! Face it boys and girls, we miss each other terribly, and we are all primed and ready to have a reunion. So what the heck are we waiting for? I had planned to handle all the details myself, but I find that taking care of the Wel-Met Website and fulfilling other obligations like spending time with my wife and kid, who both think I am nuts, does not allow me enough time to get it done properly. Therefore, I am asking for help! At our disposal, we have the worlds greatest collection of organizers: Camp Directors, Unit Directors, Western Trip Directors, Program Assistants, AAs, AAAs, TACs, Unit Clerks, Waterfront Staff, Central Supply Pirates, Kitchen Boys, and Counselors. Think of this as ADVANCED PROGRAM PLANNING! Maybe we need a WORKWHEEL!! We are clearly qualified to handle this task with ease. The payoff would be unbelievable! My initial thought is to have a late summer weekend reunion at one of the few remaining upstate hotels like The Nevele or The Raleigh. This way, we could schmooze in comfort at the hotel, and be able to take a trip to Wel-Met, which is currently Camp Sternberg. But what do you guys think, and who is willing to help with the planning? We can use the Memories Guestbook to get this moving, but later switch to email and phone calls as the primary means of communication. So speak-up guys, and LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED!! Love to all, Mike

Name: Mike Alterbaum

Email: mike_alterbaum@msn.com

City: The Woodlands

State: tx

Message: Mike and Vickie! we are starting to get a quorom-sp?-for Western Trip 1 in 1972. Mike, I also sent a pic from McDonalds of all of us to my brother to scan for me... he is way more computer savvy than I am. Vickie... I have lots of pictures... keep checking this website... tthey will be here soon. But I also have some more of you, Mike Stahl, Sharon Stricker ... where are you, Shushy?... all at Janes house on Long Island for a reunion sleepoverin maybe 1972 fall. Beth Weitzman told me Jane has twins, now grown up, and lives in NY or NJ.. Jane... Jane... How have you been? Rofes used to torture her with that George Carlin routine on the trip. Lets hear from you guys out there in cyberspace.Bye, Mike and Vickie! Fink

Name: susan finkelstein

Email: anothersfink@aol

City: westport

State: ct

Message: Susan: I have photos of all of us at McDonald. Ill have to get it scanned so I can post it.

Email: mjstahl@yahoo.com

Message: Susan Finkelstein... I just had to check out this site after bumping into you today. I was very excited to see the message you wrote to me. Thank you for remembering!!!! It made me feel really great! I can still lite a pretty mean fire! Tara & Terri? Do you have a last name? I remember it a little but not too clearly. Do you have lots of pictures? I cant believe no one got sick from those cook out meals we had! I will never forget the canoe test Susan! We laughed so hard I remember we just had a lot of fun doing that! I am really glad we ran into each other! Winkie

Name: Vickie Winkelman

Email: LittleWink@hotmail.com

City: Danbury

State: CT

Message: Vickie Winkleman... after bumping into you this a.m. such Wel-Met karma... I want to leave you a few funny memories, hoping youll log on: the fact that the only reason many of us arent dead from eating raw chicken is that you could light a fire from the wettest wood on earth every time... playing catch with the eggs frm the Pioneers breakfast cookouts instead of making breakfast... funny hats at McDonalds on the Western Trip in 1972... Tara and Terri, the two cousins who kept getting lost, and you could always track them down... wasnt life grand? So good to see you! Fink.

Message: after finding this web site yesterday, my sister donna sent it, went to my old scrapbook and found my 1969 camper list for western trip I. All these years I said howard Stern was a camper on my trip and son of a gun, there was his name on the list. proud of you howard for going so far. barry would have loved to see your progress. does anyone remember iris goldstein, donnas unit one counselor, she married alfred grabanother wel-met marriage? unfortunately al died in 1981. i still keep in contact with iris, she just moved to florida. how about steve sontag, waterfront for many years, still see him occassionally, just went to his sons weddng. still remember a time barry, my sister joan, steve sontag and i went back to visit. stopped at the doughtnut farm and steve ordered everything on the menu and ate it all. hsve many pictures of western trip I 1969 in my possesion, have to find them. also have complete staff list for summer of 1968. things were much simpler then, sometimes i wish i could go back. due to my great counselor experiences and my wonderful, but short marriage to barry I made my children go to sleep away camps. i even forced my daghter to go on a teen tour. turned out to be one of the best things in her life. thabks for the memories and the tears. shiela

Name: shiela abramowitz gerchick cohen

Email: she1063@comcast.net

City: plantation

State: fl

Message: Im saddened to read that Barry Gerchick passed away. I dont remember if he was my counselor in Narrowsburg Pioneers in 1968, but I remember him fondly. I was in the same tent as Lew Weinstein, Pete Bass, and I think Ken Fried. I still have the camper and staff list from Pioneers. Lew, I dont know if you ever got my message but your daughter was a camper at Indian Head a number of years ago and I was visiting good friends who worked there. I was told that you had been there the day before for visiting day and scratched a note on a napkin. Joan Abromowitz was a TAA on my Western Trip in 1969. I still have the camper and staff list from that too. Still lots of people to hear from. Great to hear from Howard Stern. Last time I saw him was at the reunion in the city around 1985-86. I know there are many of you out there who have yet to chime in. Lets hear from you.

Name: Alan Alterbaum

Email: alterbma@computer.net

City: Yorktown Hts.

Message: Ilene, Ilene...I have no recollection of the telephone that Stu hooked up...did it bypass us counselors? Anything else I should know?

Message: Met my husband Barry Gerchick at Wel-Met. Unfortunately he passed away in June 1985. But would love to speak with anyone who remembered him. Was a couselor in Unit Two about 1968. Then went on a Western trip with Barry in 1969. I am to old to remember the exact dates. Had two sisters who worked an attended camp, Joan Abramowitz and Donna Abramowitz

Name: Shiela Gerchick

Email: she1063@comcast.net

City: Plantation

State: Fl

Message: Thank you Gregg Lowy for pointing me to this site. Thank you Mike for putting it together. I have some photos of our Pioneer trip to the Berkshires if you would like them. I agree with Brett that was in ill-fated trip and I have never liked Modern Dance since Jacobs Pillow Festival. All I remember is laughing alot. Plus I have a few photos of Western Trip 1.I was one of the few Wel-Met campers who flunked unit 1 and had to spend 3 years with Al Levine. Mind you I started Wel-Met when I was eight. I must have picked up speed because I skipped unit 4 and met up with a lot of the people writing these messages in Unit 5. I finished up my Wel-Met years with a Western Trip and have have great memories of my summers spent there.

Name: Donna Abramowitz Dulfer

Email: ddulfer@ghg.net

City: Houston

State: TX

Message: Jono, your memory serves you well! That was it exactly! I actually was in the bathroom with Stan,Jeff Goldstein, Brett Finkelstein and Steve Saltzman. As the horseplay began one of them went to grab onto to the shelf over the sink to gain leverage and it broke. Than being in the moment, someone possibly Stan, decided to break the remaining two shelves so that it would not look like something had been broken. Being considerably smaller than those guys, I elected not to get into the middle of their wrestling match. Although till this day, I still cannot figure out why they thought that decision made sense! I remember the Chicago concert like it was yesterday. And if you remember, when we arrived at the Salt Palace, the folks from Salt Lake attending the concert were dressed in formal wear. We came in whatever we were dressed in for the day. 65 grubby kids with long hair from New York. Jono, you and the counselors made that trip a memory that we still talk about today. Hope you are doing well.

Name: Gregg Lowy-VP,HR

Email: glowy@msn.com

City: na

State: na

Message: Gregg,My memory is a bit shaky here but as I remember it, we werestaying in a campground in a state park outside the city. Iwasnt on the scene but there was some horseplay in thebathroom and a stainless steel shelf over one of the sinkswas accidentally broken. As someone related it to me mighthave Stan himself,lol, Stan had the idea of breaking theother similar shelves so that it wont be noticed andallegedly encouraged some helpful campers to do the deed.The park rangers were sharp-eyed however, and Trip DirectorMike had to call the home office for consultation. FiringStan on the spot somehow avoided destruction of propertycharges filed with the local police. Stan later invited abunch of trippers to spend a few days on an island he rentedin Lake George. But thats another story!Names I remember from the trip: Greg Zekster, SteveSalzberg, Cara Tannenbaum, and Lee Mostel. Great People.Im sure more will come to me later. For some odd reason Ialso remember playing the game Schwartz in front of the SaltPalace in Salt Lake City where we heard a Chicago concert.Jono

Name: Jono Zeitlin

Email: jzmsw@netscape.net

City: Washington

State: DC

Message: Stuie - any recollection of the Alexander Graham Bell telephone you wired up on the bus on Western Trip 4 1976?As someone else already posted, this site really is addictive! I enjoy checking the guest book daily and I agree with you, Fran.....great to see a camper from our yearslocation sign on.

Name: ilene

Email: nesharim@aol.com

City: baltimore

State: md

Message: Hi Stuie,It is great to see someone post who I went to camp with. My mom is visiting and just brought me the Western Trip Itinary from 1976. It was fun to read. Do you speak to any one from Wel-met years? I speak to Robin and Ilene and once in a while Jeff Sanders.Great to read these posting I love this site!!!!

Name: Fran Pillersdorf

Email: SDFRAN@AOLCOM

City: san diego

Message: 1970 Pioneers...They decide to take us on a field trip to the Berkshires. What could they have been thinking, we were animals. We are to attend a Shakespearean performance at Jacobs Pillow. Ahhhhh... The Theater, what better way of gently introducing us to Culture and The Arts. I think it was Midsummer Nights Dream. They put us in maybe the third or fourth row. All together lining the theater from end to end. The performance isnt fifteen minutes old and someone gets the giggles. We keep getting shushed. You know what happens with the giggles, it is contagious. It must have had something to do with the tights the performers were wearing. Come on, we were fifteen! We are getting obnoxious. The performers are enraged. You can read the dirty looks on their faces. It just eggs us on. They actually have to stop the performance and boot us all out of there. Doubt Wel-Metters were welcomed back after that. Somebody stop me, my Brain is downloading my cesspool of insignificant information.

Name: Brett Finkelstein

Email: docbrett@aol.com

City: safety harbor

Message: I want to Wel-Met Barryville from 1970-1976 around.

Name: Stuart Diamond

Email: stuartd@optonline.net

Message: God, you guys are killing me here. Lowy, who I have kept in contact with all these years, Thank you for answering my Time Capsule question. That means we have a trip to take shovels in hand. For those of you who missed Western Trip 1 71, we were in a park at Brandywine Md. For some reason, Steve Salzman and Jeff Goldstein got into a shoving match. Unfortunately, Stan Werb, one of great counselors, and believe me they were all great,was in the bathroom with us at the time. When the shelf came off the wall and just for kicks, we proceeded to take down the dividers between the urinals, and he didnt stop us, he got in very deep shit.It was very unfair. As to what we did with the then soaked bags of cannibis sativa floating up from the overflowing toilets at the JCC... We had the bright idea at 2 in the morning that if we spread it all over the front lawn, it would appear as lawn clippings and no one would be the wiser. There we were in our shorts with bags and bags of soaked weed dispersing it over the lawn. Had anyone driven by we would have gotten pinched for sure. Grinning here now big time. THE PRECEDING MATERIAL EXTRACTED FROM THE MEMORY BANKS OF BRETT FINKELSTEIN IS PURELY THE WORKINGS OF HIS BIZARRE IMAGINATION AND THE PEOPLE AND EVENTS DEPICTED HERE ARE PURELY FICTIONAL. Wink! On another note...Jono, it is unbelieveably great to hear from you, one of the best and most mellow and together counselors we could have ever been blessed to have!

Message: The posts here are amazing. Brett, Mike, Cliff, Danny,I remember you guys building the bench in Pioneers for Cliff with the time cap under it like it was yesterday. Do you guys remember our sleepouts at the lake and what went on? I remember socials with Cliff Webers Temptations and Four tops albums.Cliff, Brett I do remember running up to the lounge and watching the moon landing thru the window in the summer of 1969. I think Mark Swidler was my counselor in Pioneers circa 1970 although my memory maybe somewhat fuzzy. And to JohnoZeitlin,western trip 1-1971, jon remember you well, great Western Trip counselor. That trip was wild and so were we! To Mr. Trivia down in Safety Harbor, do you remember what prompted Stan Werbs departure, the actual incident? Brett, do you remember what we did with the tent bags full of weed when they came up out of the toilet in the JCC in St.Louis? I also remember there were towns on the western trip where we were met by the town sheriff as the bus pulled into the town and we were told not to get off the bus! Do you guys remember what happened at the Pikes Peak gift shop?

Name: Gregg Lowy

City: Beechurst

Message: Not a long timer but a one year wonder in Unit 5 at Narrowsburg in summer of 69. Magical like the man on the moon, NY Mets, NY Jets and NY Knicks all in 1969. My mother fainting on visiting day when she saw that Bunk 95 only had 3 walls and no bathroom. Priceless moment. Turned onto Wel-Met by my best friends Mike Peach Alterbaum who is the creator of this web site I am proud of you!!! and Danny Brietstein who taught me how to build a fire and eat Rocky Mountain Toast. To this day I miss Bug Juice. Then again I will eat or drink anything!!! Other people in Bunk 95 in 1969--Cliff The Nuzzard Schorr, Andy WeeBob Weber, Danny, Mike, Neil Zwail who was the target and brunt of some cruel jokes including hand in cold water and peeing on himself while he was sleeping. Cool cat Ira Greenstein who was sleeping with girls way ahead of his time. Other good friends in Bunk 97 were Jeff Goofy Goldberg who is now known as The Mentor and Richard Beaver Cohen who is still and always will be the Beaver. Other people I remember Jeff Hand, Richie Leeds, Brett Finkelstein. Brett had posted about the dream team infield with Peach at third, him at short and Cliff at second. In 1969 I pitched for that team and remember classic battles against the Pioneers led by a crazy guy who was the best pitcher i ever saw named Hank. Songs that are always in my brain are Zagar and Evans In the Year 2525 and of course Hair and Aquarius. Last brief thought for now--Karen LeBlang--I loved you!!!!Keep those posts coming folks!!!!P.S. Hello and a shout out to Alan Alterbaum. Glad I was able to see you this past January. Regards to your family!!

Name: Mark Cukierman

Email: bubsmachin@aol.com

City: Wayne

Message: Amy Levitt, So Im not the only one who hears those 3 tones on the subway playing Theres A Tme..thought I was crazy. Boy this website has enlighted me to so many things.by the way, I remember you .

Name: Debbie Nodiff

Email: dnodiff@rcn..com

City: NY

Message: This is absolutely awesome. Was at Narrowsburg circa 1973 to the last year 1977, finishing in Pioneers. Would be great to make contact with such greats as Neumann, Gavin and Eddie Carp. I used to run into Eddie all the time when I lived on 109 and Riverside mid-1980s. Does anyone know what the Camp is now? David Nodiff and I want to ride up there after Passover. Will we have access to the grounds? How about Michelle Helfeld, Suss, Goodman, Kramer? I ran into the last three going to High School in the Bronx.Anyway, this is great stuff. Brings back the best of memories. Lets keep it going. Hope some of my old buddies and counselors pick up on this. Feel free to e-mail me directly.

Name: Richard Bistrong

Email: Bistrong@armorholdings.com

City: Jacksonville

Message: Amy Levitt, where is your brother? He was kitchen I think and then maintenance when I was a unit clerk at Barryville.

Name: Carol Potashnick

Email: cboyer55@aol.com

City: New Hyde Park

Message: I was at Narrowsburg from 1964 to 71. I have great memories, not so much for the sub par conditions of the camp or the lousy food, but for the other kids that shared those great summers. I visited the camp about three summers ago when I went to pick up one of my own kids at camp. I was sorry to find that the camp had become an all girls religious camp,orthodox. Didnt go in, sort of a bummer. Anyway, hope to hear from some of the old campers, like Pete Bass, Ken Freid, Howie B, and counsellors like Barry Gerchik. Of course, I still hear from my old buddy, Howard Stern. Maybe some of the ladies will write in too.Anyway, brought back a lot of fond memories.

Name: Lew Weinstein

Email: DrLewW@aol.com

City: Dix Hills

Message: Its been so great reading messages and memories posted by freinds and even family that I thought it was time to record some of my favorite memories. I was thinking about the showers in Barryville Pioneers, where we were open to the sky & when it was raining you couldnt tell whether the water was from the shower or the rain. The water turned on with the pull of a string, which we looped at the end & pulled with our toe to turn on & off. I missed it so much I tied a string in my shower at home till my parents objected. Playing ga-ga is that really what it was called? in the Pavillion with scrapped knuckles from the cement floor. Putting on plays which I thought at the time were the greatest productions watching my kids camp & school shows now, I start to wonder. Strangely, the new 7th avenue subway cars make the first three tones of the song theres a place for us . . . which makes me think of our West Side Story production. Sleep outs on the Barryville ball field & watching the incredible skies at night & waking up with enormous bites from spiders or other weird insects. The way they put that oil on the dirt road between Silver Lake & Narrowsberg so it felt so smooth to walk on bare foot. Wish I was there now

Name: Amy Levitt

Email: LevittZorfass@aol.com

City: Port Washington

Message: Thank you. Im so happy to have found this site. I was Boatgirl 1968, TAC 67, Western Trip 1 66, Pioneer Camp 65. Some of my fondest memories are the WEL-MET years.I vividly remember the Donut farm, Bob Landers swimming-hole, tire on a rope and all. Just got a chance to look below and found Jono Zeitlan, Shelly Stall and Marilyn Brenner. This is wonderful, thanks for the memories.

Name: Elysa Lerner Davis

Email: hazel1952@yahoo.com

City: Highland Mills

Message: Remember the interview at 50 Madison Ave for camp?...It was the summer of 1967, there i was on this long bus ride to wel-met camp my dad had been a camper there in 1933 i see my bunk-what no doors?no windows?no electricity?the bathroom is where???? this had to be a mistake......until I met the girls in my bunk, who welcomed me, and taught me everything from AtoZ! At home boys had cooties at Wel-Met they were my friends. What we lacked in equipment-we gained in relationships. Where are Hope Gutterman,Siri Bookman, Steve Roffwarg I remember your counselor Willie Claudia Teller, Bonnie Zuckerman...i remember dancing to Janis Ian societys child and Johnny Mathis...Folk dancing in the mess hall....the clear beautiful water in the Barryville lake......My western trip was in 1969-we listened by radio to hear the astronauts land on the moon,..Jensby farm, mesa verde,..Waltour drunkbusdriver, Adrienne Gusoff& Beth Abrams were my tentmates...Larry Sher,Buzzy,Roz Abrams,Ed Scheckner was our counselor....When that trip ended I just knew i had to come back...1970 babysitter for David Kleinman 1971 office clerksilverlakehi Steve Leipzig & Mitch Dicker...1972 roving clerk in narrowsburg & 1973 counselor unit 1 mama papa bunk with mitch & alan....and Howie now Howard I remember you standing in your kitchen whites, you were painfully shy and oh so sweet, and what blue eyes you had! Meryl Schreiber and i became tentmates and forver friends...Denis Woychuk did you ever publish your childrens book?....Wel-Met was truly one of a kind,and what a blessing to have been part of it.

Name: JANE FRADKIN FURST

Email: JANIEGIRL3@AOL.COM

City: LIVINGSTON

Message: Hello to John Jacob Jinglehiemer-Schmidt and all his progeny!Applause for the creators of the We-Met Website! I was atWel-Met 1960 to 65 as a camper in Narrowsburg. Worked as acounselor in Narrowsburg 69 had the Woodstock Sunday offSilver Lake in 70 and Western Trip I in 71. Brett, I wellremember the toilet-stuffing incident at the JCC in St.Louis and Stan Werbs hasty departure from DC. Like manyothers in the guest book Wel-Met was a truly formative and alifelong influence. The pre-history of my career as aprofessional social worker includes a long chapter therefull disclosure: Lou, Sarah, Amy and David Levitt are mycousins. Would also enjoy hearing from fellow campers and counselorsand kitchen staff from my era.

Name: Jono Zeitlin

Email: jzmsw@netscape.net

City: Washington, DC

Message: Imagine my surprise last night when I answered the phone and my sister Cindy started reading the memories of Brett Finkelsteins pending rendevous-with me! 35gulp years ago.All I can say Brett, is what a memory .... Ive been laughing out loud reading all these wonderful memories of the place that was so special to me too. I remember many of your names and will have to dig in the storage room to pull out some photos soon. When Donna Peltz and I get together shes in San Franciscowe have been known to break out in song...I go to Wel Met camps o pity me...Ill add more another time. Thank you for this wonderful site, and thanks to Brett for remembering me.

Name: Diane Kaplan-Romano

Email: pprints315@aol.com

City: Brooklyn

Message: Wel-Met memory...waiting to get on the bus and my mother complaining that Wel-Met should have a departure point on Long Island if the camp wanted to have a future ...because most of the kids were from Long Island. Maybe she was right. Why didnt anyone cultivate future business? Who the hell ran that camp anyway? And why was my mother filling me up with worries that the camp would eventually be out of existence? Who cared? It was the greatest experience! I was there from the time I was nine to my second year of college...camper all the way through western trip, kitchen boy...counselor in Unit five and then counselor on the Western trip with woody belkin and andrea gold. The entire time I was at camp I had no idea that a bunch of social workers were in charge and using me for some sort of college credit. I was blissfully oblivious to all adult supervision and lived each summer like I was on my own and fully in charge of my own destiny.. Lew Weinstein is still my friend and I met him when I was nine at wel-met and I called him right away to tell him about this website. Lew is a very sucessful eye surgeon and if you need lasik...look him up. Being on the radio I occasionally would get a call from someone i knew from wel met but not as many people as you would think. Heard from Leslie Atchitoff, Rita Karasyk, Frank Karp, Eddie Karp, and I saw Karen Bernstein in the maternity ward when my third daughter was being born. Anyway...I just want to apologize to any girl I had sex with back in the Wel Met days because Im sure it wasnt any good. Love this website and cannot help but think that if Pete Townshend spent his time here he wouldnt be under arrest. Whenever the FCC begins to get me down I just think back to my days as a kitchen boy and how that beautiful old fart Mr. Comby would bonk me over the head and tell me to get inside and wash the dishes. I think about the time I went into the woods and filled over a hundred garbage bags with golden rod , some worthless weed, and thinking I had found marijuana spent an entire week drying each leaf over a heater. I think about the time a bunch of us kitchen boys decided to see what would happen if we flushed an M-80 quarter stick of dynamite down the toilet and I most especially think about a guy named Bob Leighton who slammed a glass door on my face as I chased him through that lodge that only staff could use. One last thing...Jay Magazine is one of the guys I met at Wel-Met. Wonderful guy...big red afro hair and always smiling...died at the world trade center. I met him again several years ago on my radio show. Jay and I had some good times together at camp and he used to talk about going off to college to study hotel management. He realized his dreams and started a catering business...only to end up catering a breakfast at the wtc the morning of that horrible tragedy. I heard about all of this several months ago and even though we lost touch with each other I will always remember his smile. Long live Wel-Met.

Name: Howard Stern

Email: na

Message: Mike, thanks for the great website...just got an email from my friend Richard Bistrong who was really excited about the website. We both finished camp as pioneers in the last year of WelMet 1977. I started in 1971 in bunk 2 - after my first 2 years the camp went from six divisions to 4 Unit 1 and 2 became Unit 12 and Unit 3 and 4 became Unit 34.The things that we were able to do back then you could not get away with any more - stretch, johnny on the pony,Our bunks were less than 100 yards from the girls in what was Unit 2 so at night time we would raid them which was the name we gave for visiting and if we got caught the ODs would make us stand outside next to trees for a while and threaten to call home. There was also this guy named Giordano who was known for making some of the biggest campfires Giordano fires and kids would try to outdo him by throwing the milk cartons you would use to store your record albums in to make the fire larger...camps like that dont exist any more!

Name: David Nodiff

Email: DNodiff@optonline.net

City: Scarsdale

Message: maybe dan fradkin andor neil madnick can help me here. who was the unit director in unit 3, summer of 69? he would throw us bombs all smooze. malwas it weissmann? he would be fran tarkinton, we would be homer jones, aaron thomas and tucker frederickson?

Name: chuck seid

Email: seaseid@aol.com

City: ny

Message: Anyone remember Ann Bobkier? She worked at the office on Madison Ave. She is living in tamarac, florida and aging gracefully. Happens to be a neighbor of my mother-in-law and ive see her over the past 20 years. I live in Plainview, NY and live on the same block as David Kleinman use to. Remember hikes across thelake and carrying those jugs of water, which always seemed to weigh a ton. How about nighttime cookies and milk before bed, or the latrine. Tapestry album was big when I was a pioneer that was 1971. What happen to Rob and Alan Turin, Mark Sappol. Maria and Don Main?

Name: Marsha Egert Passes

Email: marsha1124@aol.com

City: plainview

Message: its great to see that wel-met is still alive through memories and old stories, names and faces. I was a camper in narrowsburg from 1967 unit 2 till camp closed in 1977. Western trip 2, 1972, then worked from babysitter, main office and then AA under marty eichel. those were the best years. thanks to mike for recreating this for all of us to go down memory lane.

Name: Marsha Egert

Email: Marsha1124@aol.com

City: Plainview

Message: This has been an incredible week. I spoke to Debbie Nodiffonher birthday, after close to twenty five years Ive been intouch with David Eidler, reportedly one of the cutestguys inour collection of friends, Ive been talking with CarolPotashnick who didnt even know that I remembered herbecause I remembered all of us in Pioneers, and it goes onlike this. Howie Gruenspecht, I know you are out there -you should answer my email! As wonderful as all of this hasbeen, heres my most poignant connection: I found a friendof my mothers Sima Spector. This is an incredible womanfor whom Cimmons Point behind the ballfield was named. SIma was a legend in my childhood home from when my mom andshe were counselors together in the 1950. I cantadequately express what it was like to connect with someonewho loved my mother -- who died 16 years ago -- and to beable to think about Sima and my mom as young counselors. And Ive been speaking with Sima and Lou Levitt andrealizing that they are ever still the wonderful role modelsthat our Wel-Met counselors were: socially active,politically responsible, and ever concerned for those in ourcommunity who have unmet survival needs. These kick-startedmemories are fabulous: not only for the sake of the warmfeelings but because they really remind me of where I camefrom -- from a world that so many of us came from - a worldthat not only cares but one in which we do something. Mike A. and I tried to shmooze on the phone today but wenever managed to bridge the time zones. But when we do, weare going to burn up the airwaves. I want to take all ofthis incredible passion stirred by our collective Wel-Metmemory and do something - we were back then, and I am surewe still are, an incredible force to be reckoned with. Lets find a way to make a contribution to peace, to health,to people with this strength. Lou Levitt is involved with awonderful initiative to assist those without healthcoverage, I work to ensure coverage for cancer patients whohave unmet needs... whats your story? What can we dotogether? Lets talk it up... And while Ive got yourattention, can anyone locate Donna Mayer, Mindy Weinstein,Barbara Moldawsky or Joyce Wasserstein? And do you rememberthis song to the tune of Oleana: Oh to be at home, that iswhere Id rather be... then be bound at Wel-Met to drag thechains of slavery. Home sweet home sweet home, that iswhere Id rather be, than be bound at Wel-Met to drag thechains of slavery. Clean your cubbies, clean your shelves,go to the Jane and wash your selves. Make your beds,neatly, thats the way they ought to be. Home sweet... etc. Now run along home and jump into bed - peace, Eve

Name: eve ruff

Email: emruff@attbi.com

City: seattle

State: wa

Message: A Wel-Met Camps website. WOW! Just seeing the wel-Met logo after all this time was cool. And the card with the mailing address RFD 2 Box 75. How many times I must have written that return address on a letter or postcard! it just began opening up a floodgate of memories. WHERE TO BEGIN...... I was a Wel-Metter for 10 years, from 1962- 1972 - 6 years as a camper and 4 years on staff. I spent every summer in Narrowsburg except for the two Western Trips I went on. My very first summer at Wel-Met, I was 11 years old, summer of 6th grade, when I was a six weeker in Unit 3, bunk 44. After that every summer followed like clockwork. 1963-camper unit 4,bunk 67, 1964-camper in unit 5, bunk 87, 1965-Pioneer camper, 1966-Western trip camper, 1967-TAC, 1968-unit clerk unit 3, 1969 counselor in unit 2, 1970 counselor in unit 5, 1971-western trip couselor, and finally PA, Unit 5, 1972. Wel-Met was a big part of my life for a long time an I have many fond memories. The Wel-Met woods, birch bark, lean-toos, THE PEOPLE, roundups, scmooze time, socials, THE PEOPLE, tHE rEC hALL, tHE pavillion, Birch Lodge, THE PEOPLE, Saturday morning onion rolls followed by Saturday morning forums, singing, guitar playing, hobby groups, Most of all, I think we all agree that Wel-Mets biggest strength was the people we met and the friendships we made. We all remember the yearly Wel-Met spiel, We dont have horseback riding, water skiing or tennis... And of course we all remember no bathrooms in the bunk above unit 2, the bug juice, and the crud on our skin as we emerged from the lake, but we didnt care because of.....surprise...THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!I recognized various people that have already visited the site. Barbara Scheinman, you were in my subgroup on the western trip when I was a counselor. You were a great kid then, and could always be counted on when a volunteer was needed. Steve Young,I see you havent lost your sense of humor even after all these years. Gail Karlitz, just recently saw your sister Felice. Mary and Woody Belkin whom Im still in touch with.-Woody, a great guy also with a great sense of humor, but Mary..., a gem Barry Morowitz, someone you never forget. Since it was a real treat to connect with Shelley Stahl who asked about me on the site Im going to throw out a few names from the past, Jesse Miller, You were the head of pioneers when I was a camper, great guy. I still remember the Puppet song and the Lizard song, Janie Dick, Anne Lazar, Niki Dreskin, Linda Rauch, Steve Anker, Bob Grey, Margot Ballon, Danny Katkin, Barbara Blank, Bob Belsham,Meredith......Would love to hear from anyone Ive crossed paths with. Best regards and love to all. Marilyn

Name: Marilyn Brenner Kleinman

Email: MBK10994@aol.com

City: West Nyack

Message: Heard about this site from a neighbor who also went to Wel- Met. I have such great memories of camp. I was a camper at Silverlake in 1967 then Narrowsburg from 1969-Western Trip 1974. Wel-Met will always bring back the fondest of memories. Swimming in the lake and coming out covered in slime, onion rolls and cantalope for saturday breakfast, hiking and singing and sleeping under the stars, crying when it was time to leave and counting the hours till we would have our first reunion. Reading the memories from everyone really brings a smile to my face. Im married now with 3 kids, two of which go to sleep away camp and whenever I go to visit them just the smell of the mess hall brings me back.

Name: Cindy Kaplan Ellner

Email: pilotsdoit@aol.com

City: plainview

Message: Had to sign on after reading the memories-Worked in Narrowsburg as a Unit Clerk in 52 and 53-met future husband there in 53- he was a Pioneer Counselor named Shelly-now married for 47 years-grandma of 3-still working full time but thinking about retirement-if we knew each other at Wel- Met would love to hear from you- Ann & Buddy are you out there?

Name: Natalie Shwartzapel Cohen

Email: NCOHEN6085@aol.com

City: New York

Message: I attended WELMET Narrowsburg from 1969-1973 units 3,4,5, and Pioneers.

Name: Ivan Salinas

Email: Ivangs1@juno.com

City: Bogota

Message: My memories include the Green Gaboo, great counselors Jeff Keir, Mitch Dicker and Jeff Newman - are you out there?, no boating beyond the red buoy, hike to the haunted house, dried up salamanders on the hike from Narrowsburg to Silver Lake, shmooze, great music over the P.A. Bob Dylans Hurricane stands out in my mind, raids and socials in the rec hall etc. etc.

Name: David Nodiff

Email: DNodiff@optonline.net

Message: Hope I am not broaching Wel-Met Message Board etiquette with back-to-back posts, but I just scrolled down and saw that Danny Fradkin had checked in. I was inquiring about ya in an e-mail I sent to Chuck recently, because in my mind you two were inseparable at camp. And I actually remember your sister quite clearly, though I dont know why. Yes I do - because she looked like a female Danny Fradkin, cept much more attractive, of course. Oh, just ribbin ya there ol man.Does anyone know whatever became of Bobby Singer? Anyhoo, not gonna shoot my wad of memories in one post. Got to savor these precious memories, and post them gradually. Though some folks on the board are stealinsome of MY memories!

Name: Neal Madnick

Email: Jabstep@aol.com

City: Flushing

Message: CHAAAAAAAARGE!!!!!!!Never one to shrink from a challenge, especially when that gauntlet is tossed down by my very own cousin, I shall defend the sacred honor of the Barryville division 6-weeks of course! with a shard from my fading memory banks:Kamal squatting half-way up the first baseline after hitting a pathetic dribbler and being thrown out very easily - squatting and muttering, in his THICK Indian accent Stupid game! What a stupid game!.No Kamal, youre right, and were even thinking of replacing baseball with cubbity as our new National Pasttime.If ememory serves me right, and it may certainly be de-serving me wrong, Kamal was with us during the summer of Unit IV, no compadres?

Message: Oops! My brother reminds me that I couldnt possibly have gone on the Yellowstone trip in 1981. 1961 it was, so long ao and yet not so...would love to hear from fellow travelers.

Name: Louise Forsyth

Email: louhubs@aol.com

Message: I found my western trip pictures circa 1970. Boy are they yellow, and who are all those people? Anyone know where Donna Mayer is?

Email: dnodiff@rcn.com

City: N.Y.

State: n.Y.

Message: Just a fleeting thought, but as I keep reading posts from all the brothers who are calling sisters, and sisters who are calling brothers to log on to this site, I have to laugh... arent these the SAME brothers and sisters who wouldnt acknowledge each others existences all those years while we were all at camp? Brett and I had to recite our home address in unison in front of the mess hall to people to prove we we really related, since we dont look alike, and certainly didnt in those days. The true proof time has passed... we all voluntarily talk to each other!

Message: Yes, Brett...I sure remember Max Kleinman, blonde hair and blonde mustache if I recall. Dannys right about the time capsule..am sure its still there! As for Eddie Karp, absolutely a lefty..I remember not only as a guitar player, but also on the softball field. And yeah...1969, landing men on the moon that summer, and where were we..listening on our portable radios, though I think I recall trying to sneak up to Birch Lodge to get a glimpse of it all on the TV there. I think that day was a visiting day also! Am having trouble remembering Stan Werb, but do you remember Mark Swidler?

Name: Cliff Schorr

Email: clschorr@aol.com

City: Cheshire

State: CT.

Message: Hey everyone... Mike was right.. It is incredible the outpouring from wel met folks.. I am sure this is just the beginning.. Brett.. We did bury a time capsule. Not Unit 5but Pioneers.. When Tent 4 Duke City built the set of tables in the roundup area.. we put a time capsule under one of the log posts that we used for the base of the bench seats.. I remember us building the tables like it was yesterday.. can remember what I had for lunch today.Also we built another table..deep in the woods. for Cliff Weber to hold court as the King.. Gavel and all.That table was taken down when they built a road.The time capsule table may still be there.. When Mike, Cliff, Lori and myself went to Wel Met this winter..we could not pass into Pioneer because of the snow..see picsWait till the Summer.. Maybe we could rent the mess hall for a weekend so that we could have a GIANT WEL MET REUNION.. Enough for nowTake care allDan

Name: Danny Brietstein

Email: dbriets@yahoo.com

City: roslyn

Message: Today is my 48th birthday and I got a phone call from someone I havent talked to in about 25 years, Eve Ruff and shes telling me she still remembers my birthday and to check out the WelMet website...... memories of Wel-Met: my friends, counselors, experiences that frame a time in my life that is long gone. Beth Goldberg, How are you. How is Peter. Where is DOnna Mayer? David Eidler, I met someone who lived next door to you in Searingtown. Write to me, David. Or anyone else wh rmembers me. When ever I sing We shall over come which isnt often I think of welmet, the Oneg shabbats, kissing boys behind the bunk, crazy for the kitchen boys, making rocky mt toast, ring-o leavio, ever eat such bad chocolate pudding. Im a midwife with a 5 yr old boy who I had on my own.My co-counselor Rhonda lives a few blocks from me. Can anyone tell me, why I couldnt go to Woodstock when all the counselors went. I never really got over that! Ah, but the western trip...Thatwas the best. WHere is Irwin Zaretsky?I was there every yr from about 1963-73 in Narrowsburgh. Who would have thought Howie Stern would be where he is today.?

Email: dnodiff@rcn.com

State: N.Y.

Message: Question: Did we ever bury a time capsule while we were at Wel-Met? If we did, we got some digging to do. I really want to say that we did somwhere, sometime. Somebody must have! Peach, Cliff, anybody, help me here. Am I just the victim of wishfull thinking?! I was thinking back to 69 Unit 5 Narrowsburg. Summer we landed men on the moon. I remember listening to it on a transistor radio with lousy reception... Counselor Max Kleinman hangin at the Unit Shack. Eddie Karp playing the guitar, left handed if I remember correctly. Kleinman loved Old Beatles. I loved harmony. He would sing Ticket to Ride over and over again with us. He then always moved on to If I fell. We were 15 that summer, he was what...18 or 19 maybe. That makes him 51. Just for the hell of it I did a Google search for Max Kleinmans. The search asks you to enter ages. I think I found him in Bedford Hills NY. Stan Werb, another counselor pops up in Raleigh N.C. Could this be them? Anyone remember these guys? I need a life. Ive turned into a Wel-Met Stalker for cryin out loud! Somebody row me out to Turtle Rock and dump me out of the boat.

State: Fl

Message: Paparella starched my underwear....clap...clapIt was my only pair....clap....clap

Name: spider

Email: mohlstein@aol.com

Message: I was at Wel-Met for six years, starting in 1957 in Unit 1!Fabulous Yellowstone trip 1981, I think it was, then a TAC in 1963. Wonderful experiences. Still am friendly with Stanley Gordon from Pioneers 1960...My cousin just emailed me the site and Im awash in memories.

Name: Louise Forsyth

Email: louhubs@aol.com

Message: To add to Brett dream. We get 4,000 former campers at 500 a piece to purchase the camp. Get it reapraised for double after some improvements, donate your shares to a wel-met non profit corp and get a 1,000 donation. When it was time to send my daughter to camp I made sure it was a co-ed camp because I remembered what it was like to be shy with girls at school and go to wel-met and to be perfectly comfortable with girls. What other camp besides wel-met allowed you to schedule activities with girls. we even had co-ed sleepouts, we werent allowed to tell I still remember saturday mornings onion roll and cantelope, then running from bunk to bunk filling in our weekly schedule, then discussing the philisophical questions of the day, I think each bunk took turns doing a skit. - those were the days

Name: Richard Shapiro

Email: rchshp@aol.com

City: livingston

Message: OOPS - forgot the chorus: OH, were only fourteen and weve been seen breaking every rule around, including sex and cigarettes and in the boys tents weve been found.

Message: From Pioneers 1969 to the tune of Draft Dodger Rag...Im just a typical American girl from a typical American camp, I believe in Bob and I do my job even when the weather is damp. I hate the Jane cause it aint the same as the Unit 5 bathroom, but when you gotta go you just cant say no cause the hole is just the same. One grey dawn at five oclock the counselors stormed in our tents, they said kids get out were going to dance and shout and thats the way it went. Silver Lake came over here and a ball game we did play...were number one and we had a lot of fun at the social later that day. In Montreal we all had a ball, Expo was really fine, we ate and ate and the French boys rate and there aint no more to rhyme. Oh it rained and it rained and it rained and it rained and it rained and it rained and rained, it rained, etc. Theres Bob and Ben and Bill and Phil Barry Morris Roger too, Nicki Sue Helene Sonya and Helayne not to mention all of you. So Wel-Met dear as a Pioneer theres one thing wed like to say...if we had our fix thered be a Unit Six cause wed really like to stay!

Email: SSteinee

Message: Meryl Schreiber...were you a western trip counselor with me in 1972...Danny was the trip director...is that really you?

Email: SSteinee @ aol.com

State: Ca

Message: Periodically, for a few years now, Ill do a google search to find any crumbs about camp and those I knew. Todays little click of the return key cost me most of the afternoon -- not just because I had to read every single word of every post... but because then I had to go to the basement to find my stash of pillow cases with summer-end signature and my summer diaries. My mom was a counselor at Narrowsburg and from the time I was six years old in 1961 Silver Lake 3 week trip through Pioneers Narrowsburg Unit 1,2,2,4, 5, Pioneers Wel-met and the friends I made there were my life. My parents knew Lou Levitt, Jack Goldberg, and Al Maxman. That was so embarrassing back then - to have the adults come and check up on me!!! ITS AS IF A FLOODGATE HAS BEEN OPENNED. Remember the Unit Projects we used to do? I once visited my unit one playground while I was in college and was able to find remnants of twine. You should hear my now grown children laugh when I explained that we carried our supplies on cook-outs and sleep-outs in bushel baskets with a stick through the handles and that we used a work wheel to see who was lucky enough to clean the bathroom. oh, I remember the fresh smell of the Unit II new bunks...and the coldest water fountain around was on the side of the infirmary. Hiking to Simmons point - does anyone remember that? It was past Lost Lake and named for a counselor, Cimma. The only thing I can say for the food is that it turned me into a terribly picky eater - I cannot see a fish stick without wanting to barf. Although, whenever there were fish sticks, there was ice cream for dessert. Something that I think we all share, whatever the years we attended, Wel-met contributed so much to the creative minds and social involvement we accept as the norm today. We sat by Dock A in an Oneg Shabbat and sand: We Shall Overcome... we learned more about civil and human rights from our incredibly motivated team of counselors than we could have learned back in our city or suburban communities at the tennis or beach club. My parents used to tease me to say that Wel-met was for communist privileged children -- and in some ways they were right!!! We were privileged to share time with the likes of each other. No conversation was too extreme and no counselor missed a teaching opportunity. My tennis game never happened, but you can be sure that I am the best of all of my friends when it comes to building a latrine with lash and twigs and that there is never a charred cheese and tomato sandwich over my firepits. I guess that this does not even cut off the tip of the iceberg of memories - the bottom line is that I, like all of you, am a product of the Wel- met culture. Id give anything for that last yellow pitted t-shirt I threw out a few years ago. Howie Gruenspecht was my first kiss behind the john and the jane. David Eidler, I still remember that your birthday is September 13th and that Donna Mayer loved you BEFORE she fell in love with Peter Goldberg. Debbie Nodiff and Mindy Weinstein and Donna - you must remember how we practiced our parents first names so that we could coach them on visiting day. And oh those kitchen boys - full of all of the lessons we teenagers needed: Barry Williams lived near Shea Stadium and I fantasized about him for years. Bucky Jones actually convinced me he was Cleon Jones nephew - I was the gullible type. Bob V. was counselor of bunk 93 in 68 and the unit director for Pioneers the following year. He must have made one hell of a great social worker because he pulled off a miracle that year in pioneers: we were interested in three things: pot, sex, and Woodstock... there was no allure in leaving our tents to go on overnights. What was the point? Can you believe how well we entertained ourselves without iPods and XBoxes... never mind hairdryers and lightbulbs? So to all of you out there, and I know that we are thousands strong - I go to Wel-met Camp so pity meTheres not a decent boy in the vicinityAnd every night at nine they lock the doorI dont know why the heck I ever came before....Im gonna pack my bags and homeward boundIm gonna turn this dmn camp upside downIm gonna smoke and drink and what the heck...The hell with the Wel-Met Camps....and theres Al Maxman swinging on the outhouse door ... without his nitey... I really mean it!What about this one to the tune of Dona Dona:On a shortline bus, bound for Wel-met CampTheres a group of complaining kids.Stop complaining said the counselorWho told you a camper to be?dona dona dont do thisdona dona dont do thatMost sincerely,Eve Ruffcome see me in Seattle - its turned out to be a great life.

Name: Eve Ruff

Email: emruff@attbi.com

City: Seattle

State: WA

Message: OK, Lets get right down to it. Were back, not all of us yet, but theyre coming too. Its like a slowly building Tidal Wave. Peach, aka Alterbaum built it, and we shall come. Now lets all pause for a minute and take a long hard look at this. Camp Sternberg...Hmmm, doesnt feel right to you does it. Orthodox Jewish All Girls Camp. In our bunks, keeping Kosher in our lovely Rat infested Dining Rooms. Where our murals are probably now buried under coats of cheap paint just waiting for us to return them to their previous glory! Swimming in our lake, covered with our slime. In our bunks, arms and legs covered where we learned the basics of the birds and the bees in a Wel-Met T shirt if anything at all! OK, maybe some advanced classes were held in Unit 5 and Pioneers. Remember, blow is just a euphemism. Birch Lodge for all we know could be a Synagogue! Now that is just plain blasphemous! Now you know Damn well that just cant be sitting right with the Ghosts of Wel-Met past. What the hell are we gonna do about it? I imagine that the Camp and grounds at Narrowsburg could be worth what...1 million? OK, lets be ridiculous ...2 Million! Its Narrowsburg for cryin out loud! Lets see...commercial real estate needs 20-30 percent down, and then some operating capital to get the ball rolling. Hundreds if not Thousands of X-Wel-Met Campers and Staff with kids and in some cases God help us, Grandkids needing to be ionized in the Lake....Probably a few good entrepreneurs out there amongst us who know how to do this thing. Perish the thought but, lawyers in our midst who are familiar with setting up a closely held corporation or some such mumbo jumbo.....How many of us would it take with a couple a grand I ask you!? To quote Blutarsky from Animal House...Over, did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...HELL NO! Otter: Germans? Boon: Forget it, hes rolling. Just a fleeting thought. Forgive me my dreams.

Message: Wow. Its 10:36 on a Sunday evening. Just back from a snowboarding weekend when I get a call from my sister Jane telling me about this site. Wel-met had such a profound impact on me it has never been far from my thoughts but seeing these pictures and hearing the names was like some sort of adreneline shot for my soul. Attended Barryville from 66-71. Western Trip in 72 Narrowsburg Waterfront 73-74.Interesting that Hirsh Rosner was my first counselor in Unit 1, Bunk 14 and was also my Western Trip dirctor. Chuck Seid....Great to hear youre out there.....We certainly spent some summers together!Hello to the Plainview contingent Dave Rosensweig, Paul Langer and Steve Douglas. To Steve Bandel...I hope youve learned to play cards since we bunked together.. I feel a lot like my friend Neil Madnick that I will be distracted by this site until I can recreate every memory possible.A few that come rushing to mind....Picking up lard and other supplies for the overnights and schlepping peach baskets around the lake for the sleepouts........Great socials with the most danceable music ever. I hate to admit it but my car is pretty much filled with the same songs today my kids call it fossil music.....Ga Ga ball till your knuckles bled....Meatball Monument....Instructional swims in ice cold water...The Canteen.....Cultural Arts Program on Sunday mornings....The hokey swamping of the canoe test....Workwheels, hospital corners, Schmooze and, maybe more than anything, the feeling of being part of something that you knew was special then and always would be.....cheers to all. S

Name: Dan Fradkin

Email: dfradkin@genesisa.com

City: Lexington

State: Ma

Message: Wow reading and the memories fly back. Counselour Charlis in unit 3 during the summr of rain, building a lake in front of the bunk, singing Give Peace a chance in the dinning hall. In Unit 5 anyone remember Izzy the counselour that had no control at all and how happy Mike Reich was when we hung him in effigy. Lots of names come back Jamie, Alec Goldfarb,Spider, the Myonis twins,Stevn Freid,David Fried, Steven Mandel Ken Sapon Ricky Sarner

Name: Steve Michaels

Email: milo193@aol.com

City: new york

Message: Cliff... the only trivia I knew from my brothers list... that gross stuff was called something like Gentshon Violet... sorry for that lack of spelling. Paul Mendelowitz! Remember re-meeting in the parking lot at Columbia Presbyterian and discovering to our shock that they let either one of us into med school? We both swore each other to secrecy about our pasts during the Wel-Met years... and I remember why you were alledgedly sent home after that big, serious pow-wow in some park in Salt Lake! Ah, those days!

Message: Anyone on Trip 2 in 1972 remember this song?Trip2 - A memoryJuly 2nd came, much awaited forGeoff Thrope yelled, We are here!- as he slammed the car doorAnd Danny said, My God, what are we in for.Silver Lake was the 1st stop we madeAnd it was 94 degrees in the shadeAnd all our dreams had begun to fade.And we travelled all through the nightEverything was turning out all rightTrip 2 was gonna be out-of-sight.ChorusDanny, I gotta talk to you. Im hungry, I am tired tooAnd I dont like this ride one bitAnd besides, I gotta take ------ a-a shit.Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota tooIt seemed like a dream coming trueWe prayed it would never be through.The corn palace - it really did shitBut the Badlands made a mighty fine hit,And Geoff and Marc used the first aid kit.The horseback ride, it was a boreBut made up for it with Mr. RushmoreAnd we found it was well worth waiting for.ChorusWe had to walk a mile for water in batchesAnd the doors on the toilets didnt have latchesAnd that night the cat peed on the matches.Then we went to the rodeoAnd then we went to a melodrama showWhere the money was comin from - I dont know.It was the place where Corinne and Danny first kissedAnd it was the place where Ira got so pissed Cause Joan forgot to buy our breakfast!ChorusHot shower, a pool and a grocery storeAnd who could ever ask for anything moreAnd we wondered what we were leaving for.The hike to Angels Landing reached the skyAfter the water fight, not a soul was dryAnd Fern got caught by the F.B.I.And we got to the furthest point westGrand Canyon we did love the bestBut we loved every minute of the rest.The hike down was hot and roughBut the hike up was wet and toughAnd when we reached the top we had had enough.Colorado was a mighty fine stateTo play in the sand dunes, we couldnt waitAnd the Mesa Verde ruins were really great.The Jensbys Farm just couldnt be describedSo - ChorusMini-bikes, go carts and all - Merle and Amy took a fallBut everyone was havin a ball.In Maryland the rains did come.Washington, it was a lot of fun.An we all wish the trip wasnt done.Silver Lake was the last stop we madeIt was 94 degrees in the shadeWe all know the memories will never fade.

Name: Jeanne Ferris Siegel

Email: merj@optonline.net

City: Plainview

Message: i went to wel met from about 1965 till 72 and syll have the greates t memories form beaver dam to lost lake to hunters lodge they were great years

Name: steve michaels

Email: milo193@aol.com

City: new tork

State: nt

Message: I cannot believe there is now a Wel-Met website! Thanks so much to Julie for sharing this! A long time friend, Jane Fradkin, and I talk about camp all the time. She and I met as clerks the summer of 1972 I think that was the yearin a small green tent we had to share in Unit I, right near Bunks 910.What memories of Wel-Met! I was a camper in Units I, II, III, IV, Pioneer camp that was the summer I met Howard Stern, better known as Howie, also Dr. Lou Weinstein,Fish Jo, Linda, Lois, Barbie, Cheryl and I cannot remember all the others by name!! The following year I was on Western Trip I, also with Howie, Jo, Linda, Barbie Ross, Geri Finkelstein, counselors Barry and Sheila who later got married and Bill Ahearn was our trip director. I skipped a summer, came back as a clerk for two summers, both living in that small green tent: first with Julie LightWagner and the next with Jane FradkinFurst. Two years later I went as a counselor on the Western Trip.They dont make camps like Wel-Met anymore! My two brothers Lee and Keith Schreiber and I talk about camp all the time. We did not have all the fancy stuff and all the extras camps for our kids have today: we had each other, the great outdoors, the Rec and the Pavillion. Somehow we had the best time and kept coming back for more!I am married and have two great kids. It was tough finding a camp for them to go to when the time came! I work full-time as a speech-pathologist and think about my days at Wel-Met fondly. Thanks to those who set this up...it is great! Just reading names like Al Maxman, Lou Levitt, the Goldbergs, the Salmons and Cherry the nurse bring a tear to my eye and a smile to my face!

Name: Meryl Schreiber

Email: 95talker@optonline.com

City: Haworth

Message: Paul-I remember it well. The details as I recall: You PRETENDED to have some pot--but it was only oregano or something. Overzealous staff, I guess. I think we were also bunk mates in unit 3.

Message: The peer pressure has become too intense and I now yield to it and present my post to this wonderful Wel-Met web site. I just hope the head hunters Im working with dont Google me and learn about my ignominious past - not that I have any regret or anything to be ashamed of!I was at Narrowsburg starting in 1969 for Unit 3, then Unit 4 in 1970, Unit 5 in 1971 and Western Trip 1 in 1972. For the observant among us, you will notice that I skipped Pioneers after being uninvited to attend due to some completely unsubstantiated and malicious rumors that I had spent the previous summer under the influence of something more potent than gorilla balls and bug juice. The Western Trip was a blast until they put me on a plane home from Salt Lake City, UT. I cant recall exactly why that was, but it might have had something to do with sex, drugs, rock n roll or some combination thereof. I have many fond memories of my summers in Narrowsburg, but very few that Im willing to put in the public domain. I remember putting on the play Hair in the rec hall where we all discovered the wonderful talents of Ivan Salinas. I anxiouslt await the messages from Phyllis Nefsky, Michele Rodoletz, Ivan Salinas and I send a fond hello to my dear friend Beth Weitzman, Larry Rothbart, Susan Finklestein, the Potashnicks, Judy and Carol, Marlene Jupiter.

Name: Paul Mendelowitz

Email: pcmmd@att.net

City: Old Tappan

Message: I was a camper at Wel-Met in Narrowsburg from 1966 through the Western Trip in 1970, after which I worked in the infirmary, then as a Unit Clerk. How nice to know that so many people still have such special memories of their summers at Wel-Met they were surely some of the best times I can remember. Would love to hear from others who were there with me. A special hello to Julie Salmon regards to Joelle!

Name: Julie Light Wagner

Email: Peeeches2@aol.com

City: Manhasset

Message: Todd Grossman told me about this site and I hesitated before loging on but found it very gratifying and moving. I was a camper from 1965 through the Western Trip wHoward Stern. Ive been in e-mail contact with Edie Pete Lutnick and recently got back in touch with Todd Grossman. Would love to hear from any of my old middle-aged bunkmates.

Name: Steve LINUS Schwartzburg

Email: Roburg1@aol.com

Message: Michael Stahl - When are you going to Narrowsburg? Im up for a reunion this summer. Apparently your brother Larry lives near me out here. Maybe you can convince him to come East as well. But keep in mind you would have two Silver Lakers with you!

Name: Barbara Scheinman

Email: bks@cox.net

City: Mission Viejo

Message: Hi Susan: Wasnt it the rec hall and it also housed the canteen. I am going to post some of the photos from the western trip soon. Whens the NEXT reunion?

Email: ,jstahl@yahoo.com

Message: Last year Wel Met, Eddie Karp, Rapp, and I were counsolers in unit 5 at Narrowsburg. Rapp had a VW bug. The last time I saw Eddie, he was doing a jazz show at WKCR.

Name: Spider

Message: Cliff babe!You were an awesome second baseman, we turned some mean DPs. Those were some great allstar teams! But in truth it was your speed that made them happen. I was just along for the ride. Peach at third, me at short, you at second, who was on first? I wanna say Eddie Karp but I am unsure. As for the purple throat stuff, gentian violet. Tennis balls were a great backup, but tough to get speed on. I remember finally buying a real stick ball bat with the black tape instead of using a sawed off broomstick. It was thicker and usually shorter and man could you get some power on the ball. Damn I miss you guys! Even Brietstein! wink

City: sfety harbor

Message: Heyyyy..Brett Finkelstein-- of How to Succeed in Business fame. You mean you never made it to BROADWAY, hard to believe. Brett F, shortstop in a great Wel-Met double-play combo! So great to hear from you. Now about the stickball..for me it was always a Spauldeen, BUT occassionally a really worn down tennis ball let you throw the meanest breaking balls. And about that stuff they used to paint your throat with..I am reaching here..but was it Tonsil Paint?Cliff

Message: Mike Stahl, I remember you well... dark, curly hair, skinny... I have a picture of you at a Flushing Meadow reunion, circa 1972... thanks for the memory about our stage history.. I got that role because the lead got sick, and I knew all the words to the songs. But I also seem to remember you hanging our with... Donald... something? Curly blond hair... Puka necklace? And where did we perform all those plays? I can picture the backstage, but what was the building called? Help, please, anyone?

Email: anothersfink@aol.com

Message: Unit 3 Bunk 53 Summer of 1967 Im 12. Its the dead of night and I lay awake on my Bunk. Top Bunk just to the right of the door. We talked it over and we are gonna let Harley Tucker come against my most vehement objections, because in a word he cant keep his big mouth shut and we literally have to make it past the Unit Shack to get to there. He better not blow it or there will be hell to pay tomorrow. We know that tonights O.D. is a pushover and by 2 AM she will be asleep or otherwise preoccupied with other more important matters, like her Boyfriend from Unit 2, than our impending Raid. Thats right...Raid! Purpose for me is Diane Kaplan. She will hide me at the back of her bed if I can get past that damn squeaking screen door. But first things first, gotta get out of our bunk one at a time. We tried going in groups of three last time and were easily caught, this time we are goin out one at a time commando style, in different directions. Cluster at the base of the bunk all around. It should work better. We have to wait for Peter the bed wetter to fall asleep. He wont go, and whats worse he will rat us out if he finds out we are going. I spent last time hugging the tree all night at the Unit Shack after being found under the front stairs. Too damn noisy. I was so damn close. My watch says 1:40...soon.

City: Safety Harbor

Message: I dream of packing my trunk and starting a new year at camp. I guess Ill have to sew my own name tags on my clothes.

Name: Ken Sapon

Email: ken@champion-agency.com

City: Albuquerque

State: NM

Message: I just learned today that I have Lynn Mutchnick to thank for being exposed to James Taylor. I dont even know Lynn! - actually I dont know most of the people on this website either, but I have enjoyed hearing all your memories because they remind me so much of my own. Even if I dont know people, I feel like I do. That has resulted in some of us contacting each other even if we hadnt known each other before. Anyway, back to Lynn and James Taylor: she got Mike Alterbaum turned on to him, and Mike got me turned on...kind of the transitive property of James Taylor. The same thing with Springsteen, although he doesnt link to Wel-Met the way James does, I have Laurie Kline to thank for hearing the boss for the first time. Sex, drugs and rock and roll. I will leave out the first two - for now. But if anyone has a 1972 staff roster, I am very eager to try to locate some people from that year, so please let me know. And thanks, again, Lynn Mutchnick wherever you are!

Message: OK, now that Im over the initial shock, here are a few of my more distinct memories.....1966 Silver Lake 3 weeks Bunk 2 I learned to float1967 Narrowsburg 6 weeks Unit 1 Bunk 5 Great water fights. Capture the white flag with the whole unit.1968 Narrowsburg 6 weeks Unit 1 Bunk 10 Catching bats in that crappy old bunk.1969 Narrowsburg 6 weeks Unit 2 Bunk 35 The Summer of Mud. The lake just kept getting closer and closer to the bunk. Jeff Light beats Terran Miller in a foot race for fastest kid in unit 2 when Terrans slip-on sneakers fall off. Spent a lot of time in the bunk trying to get WABC on the radio.1970 Narrowsburg 6 weeks Unit 4 Bunk 71 New topsoil on the fields results in the rock festival. Jay Gottlieb drops a huge rock on his ankle, breaking both. Alec Goldfarb is accused of taking drugs because he has a lazy eye... Some of the girls are starting to look like women.1971 Narrowsburg 6 weeks Unit 5 Bunk 95 We steal a can of rubber cement from the arts and crafts shack. We use it to make a peace sign on the floor of bunk 95. We light it up. We were thinking 6 flames. We got 6 flames. We got in trouble. As a whole, were out of control. Even 63 former golden gloves boxer, unit director Mike Reich has trouble keeping us in check.1972 Narrowsburg 6 weeks Pioneers Tent 7? Were totally out of control. We beat the counselors and the kitchen boys at softball. Michelle Rodalitz sp? keeps playing Anticipation on the guitar. We just get crazier. They boot the unit director and bring Big Mike Reich back to try to calm us down. We arent allowed to go to Tangelwood. We arent allowed to give the kitchen boys a rematch at softball. Basically, were under house arrest.1973 Western Trip 2 We come in third at a Fourth of July bucket brigade somewhere in Ohio against a slew of local fire houses. A fair number of us have close encounters with members of the Salt Lake City Police Department smoking, j-walking. Great wrestling matches in the corn silo at the Jensby Ranch. Sitting in the back of the bus, singing Allman Brothers songs from Eat A Peach and Filmore East. Man that was a good time...1977 Counselor Unit 5 Bunk 95It all comes full circle. Im a counselor in my old bunk, and Ive got a bunch of trouble makers. David Grado and Mark Giordano are a handful. I get in trouble for NOT turning in a couple of kids for smoking pot because thinking they were in for it, one of them turns himself in. A minor run-in with the law in New Paltz one evening has me up all night trying to get the ink off my fingertips before breakfast.And then.....its over.I miss camp.

Name: Spider

Message: I used to babysit in the off-season, defined as autumn, winter and spring, for Alicia and Howard Rudin, offspring of Addie and Marcel Rudin who met as counselors at Wel-Met sometime in the early sixties I believe. Alicia went on to become a camper in the family tradition also, not sure if Howard did. Anyone know their whereabouts? By the way, this site is ADDICTIVE!

Message: Bandel I still got the broom. I can still hear the voice of Dave yelling for Alec with the tent lying on top of him. Narrowsburg 66-72 Western Trip 73 lots of good memories lot of weird people. We were all cool back then, at least that is what I tell my kid. Great web site.

Name: Hal Landsman

Email: hlandsman@whopper.com

City: Weston

Message: My sister told me about this site yesterday and I immediatley logged on. How cool to have a Wel-Met site. I have very fond memories and even to this day wear my Wel- Met tee shirt while working out. As I live in California no one recognizes the name, but I keep waiting!I started at Wel-Met in 1961 and was in unit 1, 2, 2, 4, 5 Pioneers, all Narrowsburg and the 1968 Western trip 2. where is everyone?I was a counsleor 1971 and 72 in Narrowsburg and remember to this day the wild trips we made with Benny Wax to NYC at night to pick up Chinese food and to bring back bagels to camp.

Name: Susan Eidler

Email: twentyonee@aol.com

City: Rancho Mirage

Message: cont. summer of 1969 worked as a counselor at Camp SouthHillswhere I worked as aTAC and enjoyed the luxury of walking to Woodstock!Where is Lori Langer, Marilyn Brenner? Terrific site!

Name: Shelley Stahl

Email: ssctlicsw@aol.com

City: marblehead

State: Ma

Message: What an uplifting site!!! Like my younger brother I have passed on rocky mountain toast to my two daughters who have listened to all my Wel-Met stories. Started in 1963 at Narrowsbury Unit 3 and continued through 1967 western trip and then on to the TAC program. Summer of 19

Name: Shelley Stahl

Email: ssctlicsw@aol.com

City: Marblehead

Message: I still make myself Rocky Mountain Toasts at least every week and I wish I had the recepe for Mish Mash--it was the only way I would ever eat peas! Susan Finklestein and Judy Potashnick--I have pictures from our Western Trip. And Susan, didnt we star together in Oliver in Unit 3--I was Fagin well, star might be overstating it a bit.I got driving directions to the camp from the Narrowsburg Chamber of Commerce and I plan to drive out this summer. Anyone care to join me?Remember when they wanted to force us to use an open hand playing gaga because of all the skinned knuckles in the pavilion.Trivia: A ball hit over the fence in the bird cage was a...Double. Right?This site is too much fun.

Name: Spider Michael Ohlstein

Message: OK, I am taking literary license here and stepping just beyond the bounds of religious Wel-Met Dogma. Forgive me. So Alterbaum and I got into an hour long discussion that started the ball rolling on Stick ball games on the streets of Queens NY in the sixties. He growing up in Bayside, me in Jamaica. The call to arms in those days was a simple gauntlet thrown down to initiate you into the ranks of great stickball play. Did you play with a Spaulding, pronounced spawl-deen, or a Pennse Pinky. Now there was a great deal of difference between these two orbs of frustration and delight. The two camps as divided as David and Goliath. Personally, I was a Spawl-Deen man. The ball had more texture and one could get a better grip for a good curve ball. Peach was in the other camp, a house divided. He will have to state his own position as to why he gravitated to that smooth slick pink ball. This is a call to all of you who lived in the five boroughs, and spent the weeks after camp playing on the streets using a man hole for home plate and a building for the back wall, windows were in play by the way, with guys with names like Spaz, Klutz, Buzzy and Maw Rye, to weigh in with your thoughts about this Mecca of urban recreation. And while were at it, yes I did play punch ball in the school yard at PS82 Queens, and home run derby and stoop ball on the front steps of my Grandparents house on Montgomery Street in Brooklyn, three blocks away from Ebbots Field.

City: safety Harbor

Message: Narrowsburg 1965-71 Western Trip 1 19721965 Unit 166 Unit 167 unit 268 unit 269 unit 370 unit 471 Pioneers

Message: Narrowsburg 1965-71 Western Trip 1 19721965 Unit 166 Unit 167 unit 268 unit 269 unit 370 unit 471 Pioneers

Message: Hi Wel-Met Campers and Counselors. I was Unit IV Narrowsburg Waterfront in 1971 and Silver Lake Head Waterfront in 1972. I loved those senior citizens and School-Camping program kids, not to mention the most difficult Pioneers, all named Dave, who ever graced the waterfront. Also much loved was Unit IV in 1971 where the boys managed to turn the Twelve Days of Christmas song into a soft-porn hit. I was a Unit V 3-week camper in 1965 & 1966. Two names jump into my head...where are you Merri Leeds and Joan Gladstone? I have so many great memories of those days and those not repressed are worth a laugh or a deep sigh. Thank you, Gail Young, for telling me about this website. And thanks to Mike Alterbaum for creating it! I did run home at lunch today, climbed to the attic and retrieved....ta-da...my Staff Manual, complete with a slightly flecked Drug Free Environment Statement and directions for contstructing a latrine, my contract for employment, wow, a whole 225 plus 5.00 week bonus! and a menu from The Donut House. Yes, I know we called it the Donut Farm, but it says House. And some photos which I will scan and send in. Some names maybe misspelled or misremembered Richie Sag, Cathy Chazen, Lisa Diaz, Emily Salzman, Jack Linder, Ben Wax, my two favorite campers Alison Bernstien and Robin ?? from Rockland. Who was in the rowboat with me one dark night when a fish jumped in??!! And I see a posting from Ken Jurist who is my one-and-only current Wel-Met connection. We turn out to be neighbors and members of the same congregation which prompts my memory and I recall Laurie Harris aka Laurie Cabin Counselor to differentiate from Laurie Waterfront, Ilene Brecher and Barry Morowitz. So, after 30 years, things come flooding back and I am forever grateful for those experiences. I was young, tanned and idealistic and now I am older, sun- spotted and still idealistic. Find me running weekly newspapers for the Gannett Co. in Westchester County. Peace and Love

Name: Laurie Waterfront (Thomas)

Email: mallis1@aol.com

Message: Helen is your brother Lenny? He was on my weestern trip in 1976.

Name: fran Pillersdorf

Email: SDFRAN@AOL.COM

City: SAN DIEGO

Message: hi everyone! mike, you talked about doing this and i never knew you got it off the ground. It is so wonderful..thanks for all your hard work and perserverance??. and yes, i really would like to help defray your costs. i just came back from a bar mitzvah with mutual friends of richie shapiro and he hooked me into this and i cant get off this memory page to get my kids off to school.Im so hooked!! anyway i was at wel-met starting in 1968 at the three week session in barryville unit 4. i went there with my friend jayne schachter who had been in unit 3 the year before.i loved camp from the second i was there. i didnt know we had so little at first but because we had so little we needed each other to make camp so fantastic!! the one problem with three week campers were that they were more transient than the six week campers so we didnt have the people who came back year after year. Thanks to whoever wrote about czecholavakia bum-se bum. I cant stop the songs in my head....there are so many that i havent thought about in thirty years or so. I even have been going down memory lane remembering popular songs we danced to at socials in camp....I had a mad crush on a counselor that summer. his name was Terry ...his last name might have been shapiro. anyone else remember him? he had dark curly hair.I then went to unit 5 and pioneers in barryville and went on the great western trip 3 in 71 with mike alterbaum, danny briestein, cliff schorr, barbara scheinman, lori kline, etc. That was when i learned just how much more i wouldve loved six weeks. that summer was the greatest time in my life. I still cant believe we went across the country shopped and cooked out almost all our meals, did our laundry, set up and took down tents daily,slept out every night, and loved every second of every day. The bus rides were great....we had scott golub entertaining us with horse races, who needed movies on a bus? I really hope everyone keeps writing and sharing and that we can have another reunion. Mike.. i know you were just here but do you have another time that youre planning to come east? After my western trip i worked as a CIT in a camp upstate and couldnt wait to get back to wel-met so i worked there in the summer of 73.thanks for the memories. i had a great morning.

Name: hildie ginsberg rader

Email: hiljoe56@aol.com

City: syosset

Message: Peach, this is great!! You may be responsible for me finally getting hooked up to the internet at home. I only have internet access at work and the firewall doesnt allow me to access the messages. Probably a good thing, since Id never get any work done!! My Wel-Met Stats: I was a Barryville camper from Unit I in 67 through two four week sessions in 71 and two sessions in Pioneers, Western Trip in 72 things were getting tough and they let us go to both sessions. I was a Central Office Clerk in Narrowsberg in 74 and a Unit 5 counselor in 76. I have stayed in touch with people fellow campers: Carl Schawartz, Janie Lawrence, Judy Berkowitz, Caryn Gutterman, Howie Schechter and Joel Rosen. We have reunions once every few years, as were spread across the country now. The memories: hiking to the meatball monument, Yulan to go to the candy store which seemed like such a big deal then and finally Narrowsberg. My group got lost and we hiked all day. In Unit IV we put on Tommy as a play in the rec hall. The year I was a clerk I lived in Birch Lodge with Caryn as my roommate. Beth Goldberg, Laurie Kline, Roberta Grubman,Peach, Todd, Melanie Katzman were all there too. Roese Shayne was our boss. Janie worked in the kitchen and went out with Bobby V. who had a motorcycle,which was very cool. I can remember feeling so honored when Mike played the guitar for me and sang James Taylor. Howie and Joel were boatboys in Barryville. I remember hitching to Barryville on my days off, or meeting everyone at Park Bar, the only place where staff from Barryville, Narrowsberg and Silverlake met on a regular basis. I can still lash,utilized those skills instinctively when I made bamboo trellises in my garden. I still see Al and Gerry Alterbaum, Tracey Schneider, Roberta Grubman, Melanie Katzman and of course Debbye and Hal Brandell sister and brother-in-law fairly regularly. Al sits behind me in MSG at the Ranger Games. I still miss Wel- Met, especially on those warm summer days after it rains, when there is that certain smell in the air that smells like the woods.

Name: Helen Gitelson

Email: gitelsoh@hpd.nyc.gov

City: Forest Hills

Message: I spoke with Brett Finkelstein and Lynn Mutchnick today. We were all Narrowsburg campers in Unit 5 in 1969. After that, I listened to James Taylor play Sweet Baby James at the Grammys. LIFE IS GREAT!!

Message: I was always a little nervous taking pop-quizzes, but I will do my best to answer Bretts trivia questions. 1. Orange 2.Coral Spot 3.My best guess is two miles. And if I am correct, I will be amazed because, as Barbara Scheinman knows, I was always totally plastered when I made the trek from Silver Lake to Narrowsburg. 4.Turtle Rock 5.Pitcher 6.The one I have is Light Blue. 7.I dont know. But can I get partial credit for never having spent a single night in the Infirmary during my entire Wel-Met career? 8.No sex, no drugs, no alcohol. 9.two 10.a lot. I probably only got half of these right, but I will be O.K. with that considering I was not on Bretts Western Trip. Thanks so much for asking the trivia questions, Brett. They really brought back some great memories.

Message: My brothers and i spent memorable summers in Narrowsburg,and we are still in touch with friends we made at Narrowsburg.My old Wel-Met friend Linda turned me on to this site.The daytime activities were fun,but the night raids were even better.Great memories.

Name: Todd Grossman

Email: tgrossman@aol.com

City: Long Beach

Message: OK, were supposed to share statistics and memories to get our friends to write in, so here goes... I was what my brother calls a Wel-Met lifer... started in Unit 1 as a nine year old, and went thru the 72 Western Trip, always at Narrowsburg... except for the summer afternoon in 71, when Judy Potashnick and I got boredand horny, in retrospect and snuck off to Silverlake to lie about our ages we were 14, and try to pick up kitchen staff older men probably all of 17!... Vickie Winkleman and I taking our annual canoe test rowing out to mid-lake, capsizing and rowing back today, it would cause an aneurism,playing catch with the eggs they gave us for breakfast cookouts breakfast cook- outs? what the hell were they thinking?!!, showers open to the stars in Pioneers, first kisses, relationships that were going well if they lasted for a whole week of our six weeks away,our counselor Dave who got thrown out for teaching us his version of folk music Some say its for horses, not for men... the doctor said it kill me but I dont know when, Cocaine! all around my brain.... I could go on and on...

City: westportct

Message: TRIVIA: Narrowsburg Version Edition 1 What color were the salamanders found behind the ball fields? Name the Island at the end of the lake where we went for picnics and sleep overs. How many miles was the walk from Narrowsburg to Silver Lake? Name the Big Rock accross the Lake. Al Maxman was a phenomenal softball player. What position did he play? Name the colors that you could get a Wel-Met Hooded Sweat Shirt in. Name the toxin that they painted your sore throat with in the infirmary. Name the three cardinal Western Trip Rules that violation meant immediate expulsion and a one way bus ride home. How many tent bags of Cannibus Sativa harvested growing wild in a field in Kansas did Greg Lowy and Brett Finkelstein flush down the toilets at the St. Louis Jewish Community Center on Trip 1 1971 to save the hides of their fellow campers? How much trouble were they in when the toilets jammed up and overflowed?

Message: I went to welmet narrowsburg as a camper 1970-74 then western trip, then worked there. its about time someone did a website!!!! best part of my childhood. still in touch with friends from camp to this day.

Name: Linda Beth Ross

Email: lbross2000@aol.com

City: Calabasas

State: ca

Message: I was a camper in Barryville from 1956 through 1961 the worked as a the unit 5 clerk in 1964 and 1965. A summer doesnt go by that I dont think of Wel-Met. I met my best friend Kurt Edelman at Wel-Met in 1965 and the friendship continues. Im going to keep this short for now. Would love to hear from fellow campers or workers.

Name: Louis F. Rosenfeld

Email: louisgero@aol.com

City: Norwalk

Message: Great site Mike! I just found out about this from my sister Iris, and am tempted to run home and go through all the old pictures. I will be sure to email some to you. I was in the 6 week programs at Narrowsburg unit II in 71, Unit IV in 72, V in 73, Pioneers in 74, and the Western trip 1975 director Woody, counselor Howie Stern, Carol, Lisa and Danny. Remember when the 6 weeks at Wel-Met seemed like 6 months? I was a counselor in 1976 and earned all of 100 for the 6 week summer- PLUS THOSE VISITING DAY TIPS!- I stay in touch with Larry Kuss who still has some of my 6-12 which he used to turn into a blow torch. I have a 2 yr old daughter, so I have new uses for Johnson and Johnson baby powder. Where is Linus Steve Schwartzberg, Denise Englisher, Debbie Lawrence, Linda Ross, Lori Miller,Larry Levine, Randi Meth ? So many others whose names I cant recall at the moment. As a counselor, I remember one of the great night off getaways at Dan LaBarrs near Silver Lake.The scary Cropsey stories on overnites who stole my golden arm?, ID bracelets, Color War, camp play, rest hour, schmooz, soft ballnever was really soft,bunk socials,colored lanyards the box and fly stitch,tetherball, little skits at round-up, mass hysteria at the mess hall, the canteen, black hard case trunks that stored all your belongings, cubby holes, the infirmary and always ending up with someone elses underwear at laundry! We had so little, but it seemed like so much!! I look forward to watching this site grow- Best regards to all.

Name: Neil Orzeck

Email: nneilo@aol.com

City: Maplewood

Message: Well I dont know if I can top those memories,but I do have a complete set of cookware made out of Number 10 cans.And Neal--you youngsters in Bunk 70 are still on my list!!

Name: Stew Grubby Grubman

Email: stew@grubmancpas.com

City: Chevy Chase

State: MD

Message: Well Beth Weitzman beat me to the punch. First, the formal pedigree. Started and stayed in Barryville six weeks from Unit I in 64 1st counselor was Judy girlfriend of Fred Newton who was my brothers counselor in Unit V thru Pioneers in 71. Spent 2 years in both Unit I and Unit II. When in Unit IV my brother Jonnie was a counselor in our Unit how did that happen? his co was Kamal from India. Western Trip in 72 with Steve Young as trip director. Barryville - Boatboy 73, Waterfront 74 little known fact waterfront counselors had our own rooms in the Unit II PA shack that summer. Narrowsburg - Waterfront 75 When Beth Weitzman and I met, Western Trip counselor 76 infamous gun incident Head of waterfront 77 Wel-Mets last summer when I was lucky enough to get a single room in Birch Lodge with a double bed. Personal stuff now...Beth and I have two boys 19 and 15 who we are raising together. I am a lawyer working in the court system of Brooklyn helping people get through divorces sanely. Things I remember, Red and Tan busses to camp, Leaving from Washington Irving HS. Flip flop muddy legs after the rains on the sunny road -thongs in those days, making pots and pans from cans how did they allow 9 year olds to use tin snipslots of other stuff and of course all the people most of whom seem to have found this website before me. I cant believe that names on the web site.Finally, I still have original wel-met song sheets, original staff manual, original words to Dandy world song from Unit IV, mess kits, a piece of lemon line and of course blanket pins and a brass boat hook Sorry it is so long but I was up all night thinking.

Name: Larry Rothbart

Email: Lrothbart@hotmail.com

Message: WOW!!! Is all I can say after reading all the posts. When I first posted here last night I was so excited about finding this site, that I just blurted out the first thing that came to mind, without realizing there were all these wonderful posts to read. And then, it really took hold of me.Reading all those names:Chuck Seid, Beth Goldberg, Julie Salmon, Laurie Levin, Dave Rosensweig, Todd Seigel, Danny Fradkin, Marty Baker...and for almost every name I read I can clearly recall a face. Anyway I got so caught up in reading the posts, I ended up leaving my house late. And all night, while I was TRYING to enjoy Soulive at The Mercury Lounge on Houston St. my mind was racing with names and faces from Wel-Met. Old memories were exploding inside my head, and the show onstage was pointless. Even this morning, while working out, I have been obsessing about this web site. I thought Id put some old Grateful Dead bootleg CDs on, blast the stereo while I worked out, and reminisce while listening to Jerry, but I scarcely remember hearing the music at all, my mind again flooded by names and memories. Luckily Im off from teaching this week, and can obsess to my hearts content, though I do have a shit- load of essays that need grading. Anyway a few quick images that are indelibly etched in my brain: First day of camp, Unit IV, and Stewy Grubman struts up to my bunk 70, strides up the steps, kicks the screen door open and enters our bunk with a swagger, kind of like the town sheriff checking out the neighbors here at the end of the block. The memory is meaningless, except that it is such a vivid image to me.That same first day I remember: a few of my bunkmates probably Chuck, Bobby Singer, Danny and I, all of us who had skipped Unit III, run into Beth Goldberg and a few of her buddies, all of whom had also been promoted directly from Unit II the year before. Beth gives us the once over, and says,So if it isnt the Bunk 34 coolies. Again, it is a meaningless snippet, but it remains so vivid to me, as if it happened yesterday.Anyway, got to go have my taxes done now, but never fear. I shall return!

Message: Everything you are about to read is true. I will describe it exactly as it happened, and I have 4 witnesses who will swear under oath that I am telling the truth. The only reason I did not report this sooner, was because I wanted to wait until I had received the pictures we took during our journey. Without them, I am not sure that even I would believe what happened. So here we go guys, hold onto your peachbaskets and enjoy the ride! On Saturday, January 18, 2003, Wel-Metters Danny Brietstein, Cliff Schorr, Jeff Goldberg, Laurie Kline, and I were all in upstate NY, about 20 minutes from Narrowsburg. Laurie lives up there, and the rest of us were staying at a friends house in Smallwood, NY. Although the temperature was about 10 degrees and there was a foot of snow on the ground, we did what any normal person with Bug Juice running through his veins would do - WE WENT TO WEL-MET!!!! And it was one of the most exciting experiences I have ever had in my life. It was even better than watching Mrs. Jensby perform her famous Western-Trip Chicken Decapitation Act in Kansas. The most amazing thing was that most of the buildings and bunks at Narrowsburg are still intact. This is because there is an operating sleep-away camp there now - Camp Sternberg. We met the Caretaker who allowed us to drive around the entire camp and go inside any open buildings. We took full advantage of his offer, and went everywhere!! It felt like we were in a Twilight Zone episode, and somehow got transported back to 1965!! All of the pictures should be posted on the Photo Page by March 1, and when you guys look at them, I hope that you can all re-live those wonderful summers at Wel-Met the same way we did while we toured the camp. And what happened after we left Wel-Met? We did exactly what we would have done 30 years ago - WE WENT TO THE PARK BAR TO CELEBRATE!!! It too, has remained basically unchanged. Although they are not the originals, there is a pool table and a jukebox in their proper location. We stood at the bar and had drinks in a complete state of shock. None of us could believe what we were experiencing. The only thing that could have made our adventure any better, was if all you Wel-Met guys and gals out there could have been with us. Next time, EVERYBODY GOES!! Mike

Message: Yesterday I discovered this website and my productivity atwork has slowed to a crawl. Hard to stop thinking aboutthose incredible summers and the friends who meant so muchto me. I was a camper from 1965 through Western Trip 1 in1972, and then worked at camp during 1975-77. Best regardsto Susan Finkelstein, Rita Feldman, Adele Dinerstein,Marlene Jupiter, Carol Potashnick, Roberta Grubman, AlAlterbaum, Eric Rofes... Ive passed the site along toex-husband and still good friend Larry Rothbart, who willundoubtedly be writing soon. I so much look forward toreconnecting with some old friends!

Name: Beth Weitzman

Email: beth.weitzman@nyu.edu

Message: First of all, whom?ever stole my hair from the picture in the Photos section please return it - no questions asked! Wow...this is pretty incredible..names I havent heard and people I havent seen in thirty years or more - Stu Grubman, Roberta Grubman, Jen Golub I still remember those long bike rides to your house - is E.J. Korvettes still there?, David Rosenzweig, Beth Goldberg, Lori Levin, Julie Salmon are you still married to Glenn? Ask him who the 1 stickball player was. If he says Michael Zeplin, kick him!, Sue Puder Sue, I didnt peak...I swear!...I have to say lifes been good, but my experience at Wel-Met was incredibly special...it really was great to see the same friends year after year...For those who care, Im currently a sales manager for a pharmaceutical company, and I live in Hebron, Kentucky - as you can imagine, a hotbed of Jewish culture and radical political doctrine. After leaving Queens in 1979 I moved to Manhattan for seven years, then...Florida to northern Kentucky to San Antonio back to northern Kentucky. Im married and have one beautiful little girl named Kayla. My wife is from a place called the Turks & Caicos Islands - just south of Bensonhurst. Her name is Bloomie...I just turned 47 on 205 thanks for all the cards, folks!, but dont feel a day over...57. I really dont know what everyones been up to, but I hope lifes been good for you all...Cheers!

Name: Robert Kuris

Email: Vilamay@aol.com

City: Hebron

State: KY

Message: Before I found this website, when I talked about Wel-Met, my wife would just roll her eyes and sigh. Now her response to those in the room is run-save yourself! How can it be that 39 years after my mother first sewed nametags into my underpants that thinking about Wel-Met can evoke such deep emotions? What was it? Was it that as a nine-year-old my bunk helped build a memorial to the children who died in Hiroshima? Was it that the fastest I ever ran was to get back to my table with the basket of onion rolls and then to pass the empty basket to the next kid from my table already strategically placed in line? Was it that we had Saturday forums to discuss important issues of the day - such as what we would do if an atom bomb exploded over Manhattan and we only had 2 hours to live? most of us 13 year olds decided it would be a good idea to find out what a breast felt like before we died Was it that I still sing Hey Nellie Nellie and Jonnie has gone for a Soldier in the shower?. Was it that planning our own schedules and schmooze time gave us the freedom to do what we wanted. Was it that I still have the lure I used to catch a 17 inch pickerel. Was it that instead of color war and red and blue teams we had weekly events like the Olympics and my team was Mesopotamia? Was it that in Unit 4? we started eating meals with girls so we had to become more human? Was it that it did not matter that an average of 22 mosquitos were somehow able to penetrate my 6-12 bug spray since proven totally inefective during each overnight? Was it that I didnt mind the chicken getting its head cut off at the Jensby farm because there were mysteries to be discovered in the corn crib? Was it the counselors were great guys and the helper counselors being from places like Ireland or Indian reservations were so interesting? Was it that I hit a double against the kitchen boys? Was it that I slept so well on my top bunk and my hopital corners kept me snug? Was it that I liked Roberta in Unit 5? Was it that to this day I dont mind washing my face with freezing cold water? Was it that for some reason I can remember that the powder bought from the canteen to be used for offense or defense was named Cashmere Bouquet? What was it? It was everything. Today, right now, I am still a Wel-Met camper. 1964-unit 1 Barryville. 1965 through 1969-Units 2 to pioneers Narrowsburg. Western Trip 1970 five.

Name: ROBERT COHN

Email: rcohn@siegeloconnor.com

City: New Haven

Message: It saddens me GREATLY that the camp is no more, because more than anything I would really want to send my two children there, and to go visit the camp myself. It would be such a thrill to be the visitor on Visitng Day.But, alas it is not to be.Was there ever a better camp?Could there ever have been a more wonderful experience than the Western Trip? I still remember being in awe viewing the Badlands during sunset at the tender age of 15.I will be taking a one-month grip to about half a dozen national Parks in the Southwest this summer with my family, and it will bring back memories of the Summer of 72 for me.

Message: I was there around 1957-9. Those years were magical for me. My greatest dream was to be a Pioneer, but the year I was eligible, my fathers business was struggling and I wasnt able to go that summer. I was slated to be a counselour in 1962, but a death in the family dashed those hopes. I always imagined going back to visit, but that wasnt to happen. Whats with the new Camp Wel-Met thats listed in the NYT camp listings?

Name: Ellen Manes

Email: emanesmeunier@msn.com

City: West Medford

Message: OK, I admit it...Im addicted to this site.Flashback... I remember going with my parents to buy that big black steamer trunk with the bogus lock that they loaded all your clothes into, and then there was the duffle bag for all the blankets and sheets and pillow cases. Wool blankets, because by early August you were freezing in the morning. The labels with your name on everything, as if there was even a prayer in hell that you might get any of your stuff back in one piece from those sadistic bastards at the laundry. Of course the bus ride up was a harrowing experience from some God forsaken school somewhere in the bowels of Brooklyn with a bus driver who looked like he was still having flashbacks of WWII. How bout waiting for care packages from home. The M&Ms were melted into a ball of goo and the hebrew national salami was encased in mold. I ate them anyway! I was starving!They always came in a shoe box wrapped in plain brown paper from yesterdays groceries.It was like getting contraband. The smell of Right Guard Antiperspirant still to this very day catapults me onto the dance floor at a Social. I wouldnt have changed any of it for the world!

Message: Although I first became a counselor at Wel-Met in 1974, I had heard alot about the missing counselor, Bonnie Bickwit, from the year before. A few years ago, I read an article that the case was finally resolved, when a witness came forward and described the accidental drowing that had taken place. There is an article at http:www.discover.comfeb_02featbodies.html, which describes the aftermath of this tragedy. I add it simply because I noticed that some people are still asking about it. I hope it helps bring closure to those who knew her.

Name: Evan Pitkoff

Email: Pitkoff@aol.com

City: Newtown

Message: Judy Potashnick, Vicky Winkelman, Beth Weitzman... where Are YOU?!!

Message: Mike, Brett Finklestein and I have been talking about something like this for years. Great Job. Your HomePage is so true. We did not have much, we had each other! I joined in 68 as a camper in Unit 4. Went on to Unit 5 and Pioneers and than the first Western Trip in 71. Remember our sleepouts by the lake in Pioneers.. And our western trip in 71 was wild. Remember Stan Werb being sent home from Washington, DC ? Mike, thanks for bringing back the memories. Send regards to Danny,Cliff Shorr, Dean & Cliff Weber.

Name: Gregg Lowy

City: Beechurst

Message: Peach,Youve outdone yourself on this one. Thank you for taking the step we all have probably thought about a hundred times, and accomplishing it. A wonderful site. I was initiated into the Wel-Met experience in Unit3, 1967 Narrowsburg. I did Units, 4,5,Pioneers there, and Western Trip 1 in 71. Upon my return I was shanghaid into bondage as Boat Boy with Paul Basek for the remainder of the summer. Then it was Whiskey Sours at The Park Bar every night. Debbie Slevin where are you is all I really need to know. And Peach, I guess I was wrong and have to admit I was there for the knife incident. If memory serves me right it was all Breitsteins idea and he dragged you along and lashed a satchel to your waste like Jesus to the cross. Do you remember that it was someones bright idea to get rid of the evidence in the lake. I bet there are hundreds of rusting Army Knives now lurking somewhere amonngst the weeds and leeches. My best to Danny, Cliff, Roberta Ripp, The Webers. Keep postin!

Email: DOCBRETT@AOL.COM

City: Safety Harbor

State: Fl.

Message: I remember going to Narrowsburg in the summer of 1972.It was my 1st summer away from home and what an experience it was. I was 10 years old and i can remember playing ga-ga all the time. making tie-died shirts, getting lost at Lost lake..going to a haunted house somewhere up the road. My most vivid memory is my counselor Emil getting arrested and being led away in handcuffs. The total eclipse of the sun was that summer and we had to look at through cardboard.It was a great 6 weeks spent there.

Name: Jon Goldstein

Email: PatchLand@aol.com

City: Lake Worth

Message: Greetings from Espaa. Had to stop in an internet cafe in Spain to catch up. Cant live without the site! Spain is great! Hope all is well in the states.Alan

Message: My sister Jennifer just told me about this site. What a thrill! I was a camper at Barryville, 3wk. sessions, units 4 thru Pioneer 1965 - 67 and Western Trip 4 in 1968. Unlike my sister, I have not kept in touch with old friends over the years, but the memories are powerful and will be with me always. Kenny Jurist mentioned the name Irwin Zaretsky - He was my trip director!!!! Ira Fischer was my living group counselor - incredible men! just a few memories - Window Rock Arizona - someone spoke from the Bureau of American Indian affairs & the strong responses from the locals who we had join our living groups. . .The Jensby Farm & the three who became vegetarians afterward. I bet they still areThe salt pills some of us had to take when climbing up the Grand Canyon & not making it up by sunrise.Sleeping in the Kansas national Armory when winds associated with tournado warnings bent many of our tent poles.Back to camp -I LIVED FOR SCHMOOZE ! It felt great being part of the effort to build a rec hall, & if the need should ever arise, I think I could still lash together an awesome lean-to. I am looking forward to reading more messages from Wel-Metters.

Name: Devorah Golub-Shapiro

Email: Devo1219@hotmail.com

City: Buffalo

Message: Michael, thank you for creating this amazing website, you are the best! I was a camper in Barryville in 1969-Unit 5 and 1970- Pioneers. In 1971 I was on the infamous Western Trip 3. Then in 72 and 73 I clerked in Narrowsburg and in 74 Ted Shulman hired me to be one of the first pantry-girls, sharing a pantry with Mark Bass. Wel-Met was one of the most special times in my life, and seeing all the great names of those of you who have posted is so exciting. For 15 years I was a sound engineer for ABC in New York but I currently live, believe it or not, in Sullivan County, about 30 minutes from Wel-Met!

Name: Laurie Kline

Email: urvashi@catskill.net

City: Hurleyville

Message: From the moment I logged on to this site earlier today, I have not been able to stop grinning. My brother and I were campers at Narrowsburg in 59 and 60. But my real attachment to Wel-Met grew out of my years as a staff member. I was a counselor in Unit III in Narrowsburg in 71, a western trip counselor in 72, a PA in Unit V in Barryville in 73 and a western trip director in 74. I was incredibly lucky to have Steve Young as my PA and Barry Morowitz as my UD in 71 and Irwin Zaretsky as my UD in 73. They were each incredible. When I became a PA my job was very simple all I had to do was try and be like Steve. More importantly, that summer almost 30 years ago I met my wife of now almost 25 years, Gail Young, who was then a counselor in Unit V. Though I have been a lawyer for over 25 years, being a PA was probably the best job I ever had. Like many of you, I count my years at Wel-Met as one of the most important influences in my life. In addition to Gail, I made friends there that I am still close with over 30 years later. They include Ilene Brecher, who heard about this site from Barry, and Laurie Harris. Lauries husband, not a Wel-Met camper, refers to Wel-Met as a cult. Reading this guestbook makes you understand why he chose that term.Gail and I have some pretty good pictures from those years, plus one of the Park Bar taken about 10 years ago when we went looking for camp. The then owner of the bar was practically drooling when I described how the bar used to be packed most nites during the summer with counselors- the drinking age was then 18- downing beers and playing pool and table shuffleboard. I will try and e mail the pictures to Mike. We also have great memories of hikes over the suspension bridge to Lackawaxan, Franks greasy spoon diner in Barryville, the Shohola pitch and putt golf course, camp socials, frozen Milky Ways from the canteen, work-wheels, and program planning. Lastly, we also have a staff directory and manual from 73 - we have a big attic. I will try to mail a copy of the directory to Mike. Thank you Mike for creating and maintaining this site.

Name: Kenny Jurist

Email: kfj52@aol.com

City: White Plains

Message: Just wanted to say hello to all my old friends,campers and staff, on this site...still living and doing the social work thing on Long Island...what memories...seems like only yesterday...Barry Morowitz

Name: Barry Morowitz

Email: bamo44@aol.com

City: Holbrook

Message: Ok, now that my Dad, brother, Bandel and Garfinkel have weighed in..........here goes. Name is Doug Ricken, as my brothers earlier post indicates, we young Rickens were actually conceived at Wel-met!From 0-15 a Wel-metter. 58 to 73. I was one of those little tykes along with the Salmon children with the safety pinned diapers at the lake around 60-61.Never strayed to Narrowsburg- Barryville tested tough!Hit all the units from one up to Pioneers in 72, trip 5 in 73.Some of my memories outside of what Ive read in the other posts include Monty in the kitchen, the totem pole, Dick Steinberg on his motorcycle, a couple of rattlesnakes one summer in BarryvilleUnit 5 and Pioneers, Brown Sugar Power to the PeopleGettin ReadyShadows of Love on the juke box. First kiss, First girlfriend,bug juice in gerry cans- carried by 2 people heading towards a cook out each holding one end of the branch.... that is living! I remember the pre-western trip round up and the classic Dick Steinberg speech- Sitting in the circle, checking out all the kids I would be spending the summer with and hearing Dick state- all the things that would lead to a quickly packed trunk and immediate dismissal. No Smoking, no drinking, no way- no how. No heavy pettingpretty funny term- almost like calling making out - necking. No drugs... I knew I would be in for a memorable summer when Dick started out the speech like that.Each summer along with the Salmons we were literally 11 weekers at the camp as our folks worked there. In addition to the Salmons, my bother Ken, my best friends in the world Phil Myones, Seth Myones, Steve Bandel, Garfinkel are still primarily from Wel-met.Some names I remember and would love to hear from- Sheldon Lukengave us a beagle, Pete CritsimiliousPete the Greek, Audrey Daniels, Robin Moskowitz, Sue Fast, Lowell Millerbest counselor, Howard Katz, Matt Colemaninside joke- Unit 2.I plan on sending some pictures to Mike. I absolutely have some Band W gems and color ones. Thanks for the site Mike- not sure If knew you.Regards to all- Doug Ricken

Name: Doug Ricken

Email: drtnow@aol.com

City: Pawling

Message: OK, now that I scrolled through and see whats up, THIS IS GREAT! Thanks Lynne for informing me of the site and thanks to Mike for the creation. I went all the way from Unit 1 through Western Trip except for the year I was homesick. Regretted being home ever since. My other three siblings all went to Barryville, worked in the kitchen or were lakefront or counselors! My mom loved getting rid of us and we loved being there! Hearing all the Barryville names brings back such memories. I am actually saddened that I have not kept in touch over the years and hope this will help rekindle. Its funny what you remember. Whenever I hear Dannys song, I remember Beth singing it at a reunion, not sure whose. My kids 17 and 13 went to camp in Greeley, PA. Five minutes on the PA side from Barryville. It took me 3 trips to find it since I never drove to camp and finally did with my sister Joan. The only way we knew we were there was the pavilion still stands. What an emotional day. My kids went to camp but it never came close to our experiences or memories. I have been in Central NY snow country outside of Syracuse all of my adult life. I am a CPA, have an accounting practice and also own a payroll company.

Name: Heidi Shikowitz Lowenstein

Email: hrslowe@earthlink.net

City: Fayetteville

Name: Heidi Shikowitz Lowenstein

Email: hrslowe@earthlink.net

City: Fayetteville

Message: Im speechless. Im overjoyed. Thank you Mike Alterbaum. What a gift. My daughter knows all the words to Washington at Valley Forge... My sister & I still spontaneously break into Czekoslovakia bumsy bum pardon the spelling. I see Grubby, Max & Roberta fairly regularlly & In touch with Lori. Im dreaming of shady road and the big rock in moonlight.

Name: Jennifer Golub

Email: jennifer.golub@tbwachiat.com

City: Los Angeles & SF

State: Ca

Message: Hi Everyone,I worked at Wel-Met, in Barryville, during the summers of 61, 62 and 63. There I met Steve Segal. I was told, by the Head of Camp, Dan Morris, as I boarded the bus to go home, at the end of summer 1963, Stop crying! Its only a summer romance. Youll get over it! Well, Steve and I were married in January 1965 and 38 years later are still married! Steve and I have two children: Jennifer and Matthew. Both got married in the year 2000 Jen was married in Israel and Matt in Fiji! Still waiting for grandchildren!!! Ive been a teacher since 1964 with some time out for full-time motherhood... and Steve has been a professor, at Berkeley since 1972. We keep in touch with Al and Yola Weiner Rosenberg and also Joni Isaacs and Danny Siff. Please contact me if you have any memories of those wonderful summers! Barbara Winett Segal

Name: Barbara Winett Segal

Email: 2segals@attbi.com

City: Berkeley

Message: thanks mike who ever you are. i went to barryville unit 1 1969, and then narrowsburg until the western trip, 1975 3.thanks to janet jupiter for letting me know about the site.janet and i still remember our song,anyone elso know it?

Name: joyce epstein-ross

Email: jceppie@hotmail.com

City: highland falls

Message: The Wel-Met years were great. Some of my closest friendships started at Wel-Met. I stared going to Wel-Met in the 1960s. I was in Unit 1 bunk 2. The old beat up bunk on the left when you first walked into the Unit. I then went to Units 3, 4, 5 and Pioneers. All of my summers were at Narrowsburg. I spent two years away from Wel-Met and then returned for two great years as a kitchen boy. I was a counselor in Unit 1 and returned to Camp in its final year as a Backpacking Counselor. As a kitchen boy, I remember breaking into the canteen. Alan Alterbaum was the AA. When we broke in we found signs welcoming the kitchen boys. We took all the cases of soda in the canteen and piled them in front of Alans door so that he would not be able to get out of his room in the morning. Well, Alan made it into breakfast and to my surprise he knew I left the soda at his door. I still dont know how Alan knew. You see at that time, I really did not know Alan very well. After that day we became good friends.The years at camp were truly wonderful. There are many stories and many great people. I still keep in touch with and have warm friendships with Alan and Gerry Alterbaum, Rich Werner, Donna Werner and Judy Katz. Occasionally I speak to my cousins who are Wel-Met alumni, Peter and Douglas Bass. My brother Richard was also a Wel-Met Alumni. I will spread the word about the site. There are so many people who I have lost contact with, who I would love to hear from. By way of my bio. I live in Garrison, NY. I am married to a wonderful women who should have gone to Wel- Met but her parents did not know any better, I have two great kids, Max 9 and Bailey 6 going on 16. When I am not trying to figure out how to be a father, I am attempting to practice law, teaching political sciencelegal studies part time, fishing and canoeing. Mike great work, thanks.

Name: Mark Bass

Email: mkbjca@aol.com

City: Garrison

Message: Bandel & Garf, Two of my favorite camp characters in a 2 day span. There are no camps for kids today like Wel-Met so dont even try to look. The young hippies are now old hippies and are writing on this website. Former campers are no longer in the kitchen. The kitchen boys no longer allow their friends younger brother to share in the sex drugs and rock and roll. Long overdue thanks boys. Hey Bandel, what do you call a kid whose parents signed him up too late to go to a real camp? A Narrowsburg camper. Long live HQ.

Name: Ken Ricken

Email: KAR5460@aol.com

City: Woodbury

Message: So Im at Steve Garfinkels, Wel-Metter, kids Bar-Mitzvah just this past Saturday when Seth Myones, W-Mer, wife is telling me about her daughters going off to camp for the first time this summer. Well its got all the bells and whistles and its 4k for 4wks. I turn to Phil Myones, Seths twin and W-Mer, and confirm that we paid one tenth that amount for 6 weeks and vehemently assert that she needs to find a place like Wel-Met to send her daughter so that she gets the proper introduction to Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll that we did. Where have all the young hippies gone?? Nice to see a long overdue WelMet Website. Was a Nburg camper 69- 72, Western Trip 73, Nburg Kitchen 74-76, and finally Counselor in 77 which I believe is what caused the camps demise. Hope the lack of keys didnt render this post unreadable. All the best to everyone, and, one last sentiment to get this site buzzing.....Narrowsburg really did Rule.

Name: Steve Bandel

Email: steve.bandel@am.sony.com

City: West New York

Message: Obi-Wan Siegel: You have A WESTERN TRIP TENT! A FRIGGIN WESTERN TRIP TENT!! Unless one of the Rosenbergs can pull a 1959 Chevrolet Apache Pick-up truck out of his butt, you will go down in Wel-Met history as the greatest Jedi Barn Boy who ever lived! Your exploits are now legendary, my friend. As a former Central Supply Pirate, and your former room-mate and boss, I proudly salute you. Take care of yourself. We will speak soon.

Message: Way to go, Mike. There is so much history to be reclaimed! What a kick to see legendary names such as Goldberg, Salmon, Levitt, Steinberg, and Ricken!I had two lives at Wel-Met Narrowsburg camper and Western tripper 60-64, and Barryville kitchen staff after that. Then I got to take out my own Western trip. Keep it coming...

Name: Ron Blumenfeld

Email: rblumen2@optonline.net

City: Fairfield

Message: The person responsible for putting together this website has finally provided a reason for using the Internet that doesnt involve viewing porn or selling useless crap on e- bay. Whomever that person is, may he live long and prosper and avoid being tended to in the afterlife by Cherry the Narrowsburg Nurse. My resume: Narrowsburg 3 weeks 67-68, Narrowsburg 6 weeks 69-72, Western Trip 2 1973. Narrowsburg kitchen 74-76, Counselor 1977. The End.

Name: Steven Garfinkel

Email: stevengarfinkel@yahoo.com

City: Larchmont

Message: Todd,At some point I graduated from a blanket pin -your giant safety pin- to a boat hook. I still use the boathook -the same one from my days as an AA- for my keys here at work.Nice to see some familiar names. The memories are absolutely precious.Alan

Message: ...so, the siegels are renovating their apartment which requires emptying the entire contents therein aquired over 4 lifetimes ---2 long2 short and a short-term move into a residency hotel where we will be the only english speaking family.why do i post this you ask? because as one cleans out an apt. one finds the following:several wel-met t- shirts remember i was a barn boya wel-met penant with accompanying macrome, lanyard and an Alan Alterbaum giant safety pin design for holding lotsa keys..........and.......... a western trip tent!!! thats right my friends, a 50 lb. tent complete with fly, ground cloth, pegs plastic, ropes not twine and poles bent of course with the cross bar that goes through the O rings....my wife would of course love for me to throw it out nyc apts. are too small to store such things, but i convinced her to hang on to it and give it to the first wel- metter to show up at my door to claim it......so next time anyone is on the upper east side with a car wan empty trunk ive got a present for you.on another note , i rode the LIRR for the first time in years yesterday and travelled through valley stream waved hi to sue puder and woodside damn local trains !! and gave the big hello to stew grubman, neither of whom live there anymore. it was a true flashback to all the good times we barryville campers had during the non- camp season.it gave me a really warm, feeling inside.lastly ,good to see chuck and brad seid weigh in with their postings..thats all for now folks,keep spreading the word,todd

Name: todd siegel

Email: tasny100@aol.com

Message: I attended Barryville starting in Unit 3 in 1966 I still have our bunks arts and crafts project...a tee shirt which said Bunk 51 Is In...then Units 4,5,and Pioneers. Finally Western trip 4 in 1970....the website is great,it really brought back some incredible memories.

Name: Brad Seid

Email: bseid@ptd.net

City: Stroudsburg

State: Pa

Message: Wow...Steve Young, a blast from the past. Recall him as the champion of initial baseball if anyone remembers what that is? And how about rafter baseball in the bunks once bounce of a ball on bunk rafter a single, two a double, etc. The names here are bringing it all back--Cliff Weber, Felice Karlitz, Steve Young and all our other counselors, PAs, and Unit Directors...the people who shaped our future scary, huh :. Am thoroughly enjoying reading each and every post on this site. Keep em coming. Whats next...Wel- Met shirts on sale at e-bay??

Message: Thanks for your hard work on this great site, Mike! I am the youngest of the three Karlitz sisters - hated saying that back then, but fine now. Started Wel-Met in Narrowsburg, 1966 - Unit 1 Bunk 2. Continued in Narrowsburg in the very wet summer of 1969, Unit 3 Bunk 42, and in 1970, Unit 4 Bunk 65 - all six weeks. For some reason a bunch of us bypassed Unit 5 and went on to Silver Lake Pioneers for eight weeks in 1971. Definitely remember waking up to Brown Sugar too - as well as the trip to Canada that year. Hello to Marlene Jupiter who was in my bunk for three years. Am presently a fifth grade teacher, have 15 year old twins ... my daughter goes to a great upstate New York camp, and my son loves his more Wel-Metish camp in Maine, thanks to Mary Chafey Belkins recommendation. Where is Steve Gabay?

Name: Debbie Karlitz

Email: xbklynites@aol.com

City: New City

Message: So Alterbaum, you are the one who stole the knives. Well now we have you. We want them back with interest. We have an inventory of each of those knives and we plan to hold you to each and every knife being returned. We know where you live now, and are going to get you. Danny Brietstein: who is the nickel football champ????

Name: Mr. Beaver

Email: bigteeth@beaverbrookclub.com

City: Beaverbrook

Message: great site....attended barryville from 66-71. western trip4 in 72. speak and see todd siegel all the time. occasionally get together with dave rosensweig. where is danny fradkinrick carluccirobt kuris and the kitchen guy shep? wasnt neil madnick kuris cousin? hi to all the familiar names.

Name: chuck seid

Email: seaseid@aol.com

City: .

State: .

Message: I attended Wel-Met -- Barryville for Unit 2 - about 1966Narrowsburg - from Unit 3 and Unit 4 -- Pioneers at Silver Lake and then the Western Trip.Presently, I am a quant analyst at a hedge fund

Name: Marlene Jupiter

Email: Mjupiter@aol.com

Message: WOW! Nice to see so many familiar names. Some of my best memories are of the summers I spent here. My Wel-Met Bio: 1965: Silver Lake freshman, bunk 6 counselors: Mal Weissman and 2 others. 1966: 6 wk Nburg unit 2, bunk 33 counselors: Danny Lapidus and Harvey 1967: 6 wk Nburg unit 3, bunk 53 counselors: Marty Guttman and Greg 1968: 3 wk Nburg unit 4, bunk 77 counselors: Cliff Weber and ? 1969: 6 wk Nburg unit 5, bunk 93 counselors: Mark Rosenzweig and Joel Friedman 1970: 6 wk Nburg unit 5, bunk 97 counselors: Al Grodin and Anton. 1971: 8 wk Silver Lake Pioneer counselors: Bob Rifkin and ? 1972: Western Trip 3 followed by 2 weeks Nburg AAA 1973: AAA Bville 1974: AA Bville 1975: Barn Boy 1976: AA Nburg 1977: Maintenance 1978 - present: Wel-Met alumni suffering from withdrawal pains especially around the end of June.Best wishes to all.

Name: Mark Rothstein

Email: markr@snet.net

City: New London

Message: Lots of fun perusing the guestbook-appreciate the work getting this site up and running. My Wel-Met bio: got car sick on the ride from Brooklyn to Barryville in 67, onto Narrowsburg 68-70 whole lotta rain in 69 Silverlake Pioneers in 71 -the 8 week variety-waking up to Brown Sugar every morningstill a damned good tune, and The Trip in 72 wheres Dale? Went all the way to Vegas and spent a week in Mesa Verde or was it Durango due to bus troubles. Shout out to Dave, Chuck, Todd and Rita Feldman. Let the search for Dorf and Sue begin. I too tried to find WelMetish camps for my kids, 15 & 13 Bar Mitzvah this weekend. Found a camp that uses the same exact plates as Wel-Met up in the Poconos-they love it. Married, down here for 10 years. Still doing music-Chair Upper School Music at an independent progressive school. Got to Wel-Met through my older brother Sid-Barryville counselor in mid sixties, Trip Director with his still b.w. Esther in 68. Spent many a shmooze time visiting my bro Joel-same years as me plus 2-W.Trip in 74. Would love to hear from WelMeters ive crossed paths with. Peace. Out.

Name: Adele Dinerstein

Email: adeledi@hotmail.com

City: Baltimore

Message: Hi,it was great to see some familiar names. I attended Wel- met 1965 through 1972, Narrowsburg units I, II, III, IV, V, Silver Lake Pioneers 1971 and the Western Trip 1972 maybe trip 4. It was the same one Dave Rosensweig and Todd Siegel went on hi Dave and Todd, remember me. The one where you made us eat Captain Crunch cereal with crunchberries eichberries? for every breakfast. The roof of my mouth hurts just thinking about it.Im married 25 years with 3 sons, oldest starting college next year. Im living in Blacksburg, Virginia in the mountains of southwest Virginia working as a Psychologist at Virginia Tech.

Name: Rita Feldman

Email: rfklein@vt.edu

City: Blacksburg

State: VA

Message: so you think you know someone after you live with them only to find out that he steals weapons and gives them away to children !!!!.........and to think we all assumed he was this straight laced all american guy in a camp full of hippies!!!i, for one am devastated !!!

Email: tasny100

Message: First summer was at Narrowsburg 1949. Later Unit Headin Barryville for several years in Unit III and once in Unit V. 1955 to 1967 with a few years out for good behavior! Remember putting on Mr. Roberts with Unit V guys as one highlight. Bunk names Seigals, Seligmans, John etc. Sons Doug and Ken also went on western trips and served as kitchen boys etc. Still close friends with the Salmons. Miss Eddie Fisher, Gene Feidel, Danny Siff and his b.w., Steinberg etc. Regards, Bob Ricken

Name: Bob Ricken

Email: rricken@prodigy.net

City: Floral Park

Message: I should have guessed that Mike Alterbaum would create a Wel-Met web site. It was not enough for him to be the perfect camper except for the Beaver Brook caper...he also has to be the perfect former camper. So now all of us who have limited time to begin with, have to check the web site every day to see if perhaps we can re-live one of our many long lost ridiculously romanticized memories. Remember Wel-Met is the camp that brought you tongue in raisin sauce, a Narrowsburg Lake that left you with a protective layer of some unknown substance clinging to your skin, and the architectural wonder of an open three sided bunk that could keep you equally cold and wet at the same time. I am thankful to Wel-Met for providing me with all those skills needed to combat the rigors of suburban life. I cannot tell you how many times my ability to lash broken sticks together has saved me. For those of you who like me need to remember, prior to my years as a San Francisco 49er quarterback, I worked at Wel-Met from 69-74 as a counselor, PA, Trip Director, & UD. Probably what amazes me most as I look back, is how privileged I thought I was when I finally moved up the the ladder, and actually got to live in the trailer next to the Narrowsburg infirmary.

Name: Steve Young

Email: Shtevil@aol.com

City: Roslyn

Message: I was still in high School or even junior high when I saw Beth perform...I believe she was in a chorus behind a soloist. I remember they sang a old yiddush song called toom balla lika

Name: Rob Grubman

Email: rgrubman@grubmanNY.com

City: Somers

Message: Hi Everyone, Mike.. a great job that was very long overdue.. THANKS!!! Now onto the truth.. I wish to DENY my involvement in this criminal behavior of Mike Alterbaum..My memory says that those knives were given to us by a kind stranger..We did have a hell of a time.. Wel met was a very special place, both physically and spiritually.. and I dont mean from a religious point of view.. I feel as I am sure others feel the same way that our experiences at Wel methave had significant influences on who we are today. The list of people and memories is exceeding long..WE NEED ALL OF US TO GET THE WORD OUT.. A SITE FINALLY EXISTS FOR THE PEOPLE OF WEL-MET THROUGH THE YEARS..A special hello to AL MAXMAN who initiated my long carrer on the WEL-MET ALERT LIST.. Many afternoons in his office.. What is wrong with starting a fire in a garbage can in the morning to keep warm , Mr. Maxman? I asked...LOL

Name: Danny Brietstein

Email: dbriets@yahoo.com

City: roslyn

Message: This is a wonderful site, which brings back fantastic memories. I was a counselor in Barryville in 70. I went to Europe in 71 with three guys I met that summer at Wel- Met Marty Eisen, Mike Weinberg and Steve Schwartz, with whom I have since lost touch. Although we wanted to see Europe, one of the main draws was seeing Ineka DeVries and Joreel Boone, two of the Dutch counselors that we had met at Wel-Met. In 72 I switched to Narrowsberg, where I was a PA in Unit 4 under Barry Morowitz. It was that summer that, as luck would have it, a counselor from Unit Five was tranferred to 4 to become a PA. That was Mary Chafey. We became a Wel-Met Couple and, last summer celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. I spent one more summer at Wel- Met as a Western Trip Director, while Mary worked in the Barryville office.Mary and I have two great daughters who are 21 and 19 and both are at college. Fourteen years ago, three colleagues and I started a real estate law firm in Manhattan, that has now gronw to thrity attorneys.Where have the years and all the people gone? The summers I spent at Wel-Met were, without doubt, some of the best times of my life. The facilities were nothing to speak of other than the woods. The pay was ... well, enough said about that. The housing for staff was ... well, enough said about that too. But, somehow, there was just nothing better. It was hard work, but we all loved it. I miss it a lot. Its thirty years later and the world has changed a whole lot and not necessarily for the better. But the meories of Wel-Met will always remain cherished and untarnished by time.Once again, thanks for creating this site!

Name: Sherwin Woody Belkin

Email: sbelkin@bbwg.com

City: Hastings-on-Hudson

Message: Hi - What did Beth Goldberg perform at Carnegie Hall? More details please!

Name: Mary Chafey Belkin

Email: Woodbell@aol.com

Message: Like my brother Stew I was a Welmet Barryville veteran 68- 75. It great seeing all my brothers friends posting...I saw Beth Goldberg perform at Carnegie Hall. I see my old friend Kenny Rickens posting. Kenny and I were in bunk 52 together whre we set records in softball and being confined to our bunk in our pajamas by the Unit Director.Hey Dick Steinberg...no heavy petting...no way...no how

Name: Rob Grubman

Email: rgrubman@grubmanNY.com

City: Somers

Message: OK here is what suggest for our Wel-Met middle-aged support group.Roberta, Lynne and Jenny from the Block need to get together some possible future dates that they might all be able to be on the East Coast.Based on those we can arrange to all get together before our families severely medicate us for carrying on like this about a 30 year old summer camp experience that no other sane person can understand.We may however be a little old to meet at the Unisphere at Flushing Meadows.

State: Maryland

Message: O.K. Barbara, here is the sordid tale of the time I got in big trouble at Wel-Met. Actually, SWORDED will prove to be a more appropriate description. It was the summer of 1967, and I was in unit 3. Danny Brietstein and I found ourselves at The Beaverbrook Rod and Gun Club as we were hiking through the Narrowsburg woods. There was an unlocked building that had a No Trespassing Sign on it, and so naturally, we went in. Inside the building were HUNDREDS of fairly dull but kinda pointy metal knives that looked like Bowie knives. We knew there was only one thing to do STEAL THEM!!We brought then back to camp, and proceeded to hand them out like Hershey Bars to everyone in our Unit. In no time at all, there were about 50 kids standing outside their bunks throwing knives in the ground, at the trees, at the bunks, and at each other. It looked like a training camp for midget, ninja Jews! Of course, as soon as the counselors saw what was going on, we got busted, and were sent to the Administration Building for sentencing. My greatest fear was that I would be kicked out of camp, but luckily we got off easy. I was told that we would be on our way home if it were not so close to the end of the summer. So there you have it, Barbara, my admission of being a trespasser and a thief. But do not forget that the important lesson we should all learn from this is that if you are going to do something bad at camp, do it at the end of the summer. You just might get away with it!! By the way, does anyone out there still have one of those knives?Goodnight Wel-Met guys and dolls. I miss you all so much. Mike

Message: I see it is OK to enter the Guestbook more than once, so here goes. Please note that due to the great increase in spam, I have changed my email address from 37 to 57. I have not laughed as much as I have reading these entries in a long time. I was humbled by Stew Grubman when I told him after he addressed me as Beef that no one had called me that in at least 200 years! To this he replied that no one has called me Grubby for at least that long either. i will let you guess what name I had used to address him. It has been great to reconnect with old friends, and awaken old and fond memories. Lets keep spreading the word, and thanks again to Mike.

Name: Beth Goldberg

Email: Bgold57@aol.com

City: Gloucester

Message: Hi - What a great web site!!! Brings back lots of memories. What year was Wel-Met started? Who were the Directors? Amazing to see some of the posts from familiar names. I drove from California in 72 to work at Narrowsburg, lived in Brooklyn with Felice Karlitz, returned to camp in 73 and 74. Eventually went to Social Work School at Yeshiva U. thanks to Lou Levitt, and married Woody Belkin in 77. Stayed in touch with Howard Stern for many years. Come on Howard, lets hear from you! Still in touch with Steve Young, Marilyn Brenner Kleinman, Felice and Gail Karlitz, Diane Brawarsky, and I know there are many other Wel-Met people out there that have yet to write in. Where is David Kleinman or Barry Morowitz? Thanks for setting up this site. Regards, Mary

Name: Mary Chafey Belkin

Email: Woodbell@aol.com

Message: ohmygod, Paul Langer! How the hell are you? Remember the nights in back of the bathrooms? You have a kid in college? I dont believe it! And Julie Salmon...I remember sleeping under the stars during the Western Trip, but I also remember that you were not wearing any clothes is your father -- or husband -- reading this? and Robert Kuris kept on trying to peek in...where is Kuris these days? Keep in touch everyone...

Name: Susan Puder

Email: susanpuder@earthlink.net

City: Chappaqua

Message: I am flipping out from all the postings and wonderful e- mails I am receiving, Mike what a gift! Happy Birthday to Paul Langer, I remember you so fondly, heh Amy Levitt, how are you? Fill us in! And thanks Hal, for the dietary info., but what I really want to know is, do you still throw raisins around the table during Passover dinner?Hugs to all!

Email: SSteinee @ aol.com

Message: Ive been waiting for this site for years, Thanks a lot! I was actually conceived at Wel Met, grew up up there, and spent every summer of my life there until it closed. At the time, I had risen to the prestigious level of Head Dishwasher Im racking. Anyone out there from Barryville, 74 Pioneers, 75 Western Trip 5 or 76-77 Narrowsburg Kitchen, Id love to hear from you. Hey Dick Steinberg, No Smoking, No Drinking, No Way, No HowLets get the rhythm of the hips, 1, 2, 3

Name: Ken Ricken

Email: KAR5460@aol.com

City: Woodbury

Message: I am soooo tickled to see this website. I hope many old friends from Barryville okay, Narrowsburg and Silver Lake, too will surface!Gene

Name: Eugene R. Fidell

Email: efidell@comcast.net

City: Bethesda

Message: I flipped when I found a message from my dad suggesting that I check out this web site. Ive been waiting for this to come along & was absolutely thrilled that you created this site - Thanks you so much. With kids 7 & 12, Ive been looking for a camp that would mean as much to them as Wel Met did to me, but that just may not be possible. Im amazed to see how many of our old friends have sent word, & Im jealous that some of you have been staying in touch. The last time I saw some of you guys was at Daves in Westchester & that was great. I loved seeing the pictures - I definitely have to dig out my old albums now. Seeing the picture of Bonnie Bickwit made me realize how long it has been - did anyone ever find out what happened? On a happier note, how about a reunion? Mike - Thanks again for doing this!

Name: amy levitt

Email: levittzorfass@aol.com

City: Port Washington

Message: I am involved in the campaign for universal health care in our country. We could use some help in a variety of ways. I was director of Narrowsburg from 57 to 62 and acting exec from 69 to 7i. Our whole fmily remebres and treasures our time at camp. Tahnks for doing this. Lou

Name: Lou Levitt

Email: loulevi@aol.com

Message: Great site. I was a Welmet camper from 1974 to 1977. Barryville in 74, Narrowsburg in 75 & 76 and the Western Trip in 77. A lot of great memories. Id like to say hello to Ralph Vigliano, Steve Itsky Itzkowitz and John Village. And lastly to Spenser Grahm, a great counselor.

Name: Ken Sklover

Email: KennethSklover@Earthlink.net

Message: Barbara: I assume there is a Statute of Limitations regarding petty larceny, and therefore I am willing to tell everyone the story of the one time I was a big trouble-maker at Wel-Met!! But you might have to wait until the weekend because it will take me more time than usual to write that message. Later, Mike

Message: Hi friends! Just heard about this site, and I logged on immediately. Good to see so many familiar names. I was a camper for just a few years. I have many fond memories of the friends I made at Barryville. I still see Dave Rosenzweig often, and occasionally, Todd Seigel when he is at Daves. I have been living on Long Island since 1986. One son is a college freshman, the other a high school junior. Happy Birthday to Sue Puder next week. How could I forget? Your birthday is on Groundhogs Day, and mine is the day after. Best regards, Paul

Name: Paul Langer

Email: paullanger@bigfoot.com

City: Fort Salonga

Message: Hi,I love this site, just looking at the logo brings back lots of memories. Where are the other campers from the mid 70s are you out there? Does anyone know what year Wel-met opened? And what became of the child study program - I think my mother has all those silly reports that used to go home.

Email: Sdfran@aol.com

City: san diego

Message: Trivia Question: Who remembers why Mike Alterbaum was in big trouble with Al Maxman? Fess up Alterbaum! Wel-Met memory with a political twist: hearing of Nixons resignation. Wel-Met memory with a musical twist: watching the Stones Gimme Shelter on TV in Birch Lodge. All other musical memories were of James Taylor, of course.

Message: This wonderful site may help me locate my red motorcycle which disappeared one evening from in front of The Rec Hall in Narrowsburg. I would be delighted to hear from anyone with information as to its whereabouts.

Name: Al Maxman

Email: al@maxman.net

Message: Mike:Youre the best!Thanks so much for doing this.I know I have pictures someplace - will send when I find them. Lots of memories. Began as a camper in Narrowburg Unit 1 1958 - can that really be 45 years ago? Seems like yesterday. Remember Archie - the PA from Ghana. Then Units 2,3, and the inaugural year of Unit 5. PA in Narrowsburg Unit 3 in 1968, Western Trip Director in 1971 and again in 1973. Barryville Pioneer PA in 1972, Barryville in 74, Silver Lake in 75. When I was a Unit 5 camper, the camp director called us all together and told us about the Berlin Wall going up. Told us there was nothing to worry about, but... if we have to evacuate camp, this is what well do. In those days, we all felt that we were always on the brink of nuclear war - the Russians were going to bury us. How egocentric we were! All of us convinced that they would bomb the Catskills to get rid of the next generation of American leaders. Many many tears that night from the girls quads, as we realized that the male counselors were of an age to go to war. Little did we know that in not too many years, many of our peers would actually go to war. Our unit wrote a letter to President Kennedy I still remember much of it, and got a reply. My first sense that government could hear the little people. WHO CAN ANSWER THIS ONE: When we waited outside the Narrowsburg dining hall for meals, we one of the many songs we sang was One for the itty bitty baby... who was born, born, BORN in Bethlehem. In Jewish Wel-Met?? Oy vey. What kind of mishegas was that?? Love and memories to all. Thanks again, Mike.

Name: Gail Karlitz

Email: GKarlitz1@aol.com

City: Stamford,

Message: This is a heartfelt YOU ARE SO VERY, VERY WELCOME to all of you wonderful Wel-Metters who have thanked me for creating this site. But I must tell you that on a personal level this has been an amazing experience for me. For example, just in the past 36 hours I have had fantastic telephone conversations with the following illustrious members of our Wel-Met family: Beth Goldberg, Todd Siegel, Danny Brietstein, Cliff Schorr, Hal Brandell, Debbye Gitelson, my terrific big brother Alan Alterbaum, and the legendary Mr. Al Maxman! That is correct boys and girls, this is not a typo. I said AL MAXMAN!! At first I was a bit nervous because the last time we spoke, I was a little kid, he was in charge, and I was in big trouble! But it really was so unbelievably great talking to him. I dont even have to spend the night in the Narrowsburg Administration Building! But then again, that would not be a punishment anymore - it would be a reward!! By the way, I am sure that there are some Wel-Met folks out there who are lurking but not posting. It would be so much fun for all of us if everyone who visited would post a message, even if it was just short and sweet. Well, good night everyone. I will be in touch.

Message: Good job and thanks Mike. My Wel-Met bio, Barryville from Unit I in 1961 bunk 3 to Unit V in 1965, missed pioneers in 1966 but was on western trip V in 67. Began my illustrious kitchen boy career in 1968, which culminated in being steward of the kitchen in 1972. Married my Wel-Met girlfriend Debbye Gitelson in 1976, produced three off spring who were forced to endure Wel-Met stories. I think about camp and how it shaped my adult life. I still have cold cuts for lunch on Sundays, cantaloupe and onion rolls Saturday morning, franks and beans Wednesday lunch, fish sticks and ice cream Wednesday dinner and for real chicken Friday night. I remember the camping out, the canoeing, the morning instructional swims in an ice cold lake, passing deep water test, the hikes to meat ball monument and Yuleland and of course how Wel-Met shaped my atheletic career. Wel-Met will always be apart of us and will live on in our memories.

Name: Hal Brandell

Email: HMBCPA@Optonline.net

City: Wheatley Heights

Message: I went to Narrowsburg from 1959 to 1966 and had a great experience. I would love to reconnect with former campers that I knew.

Name: Jay Neveloff

Email: jneveloff@kramerlevin.com

Message: I went to Barryville in 1974 I was in bunk 5, I was in the infirmary when Nixon resigned. I was in Pioneers in 1975 @ silver lake, and I went on Western Trip 4 in 1976. I loved going to Wel-Met. In the off season I would meet my camp friends at Penn Station, very often we would walk down to 50 Madison ave, just to see the building. I still speak to Robin Bernstein and Ilene Jacob. I am very glad you put together this great site I hope others from the days I was there sign up. Where is everyone???

Email: Sdfran@aol.com

City: San Diego

Message: How wonderful!! What a trip seeing the pix with their captions. I will definitely pass along the website address to other former Wel-Meters.started Wel-Met in Narrowsburg, for the 3 wk. trip when I was 8 1970, spent the next 4 summers in Barryville 71-74, was devestated when my parents rented a house on Fire Island and I couldnt go to Pioneers and then did Western Trip in 1976 Hello Roberta!!. The thought of Wel-Met triggers the fondest memories for me and I hope to hook up with old pals through this site.Thanks.

Name: ilene jacobs eagle

Email: nesharim@aol.com

City: baltimore

State: md

Message: Mike- Thanks for getting this together! My sister Beth sent me an email with the link and I logged on immediately. Great to see so many familiar names already posted on this site. Its hard for me to think of individual important moments at camp since I really grew up there, spending every summer of my life there until I was 18. Like all of you, the whole experience was an incredibly important part of my life. I hope you all are well. -PeterP.S. Mike-Im going to scan some photos when I get a chance and email them to you.

Name: Peter Goldberg

Email: goldberg@mail.duke.edu

City: Durham

State: nc

Message: Like Beth Goldberg, I spent my entire childhood at Wel- Met. If I remember correctly, Beth and I spent one year in Silver Lake, and the rest of the years in Barryville. I dont think I have slept under the stars since the Western trip. I really miss that and look back on those days with great nostalgia.

Name: Julie Salmon

Email: poisson57@aol.com

Message: Mike, Thanks very much for creating this website. Wel-Met holds the warmest memories for me. I spent five summers as a camper in Barryville, years 1967-1971 Units 2- Pioneers. I missed the Western Trip, as my family moved to California before that summer. But, I was in N.Y.C. to meet Western Trip 7. My fondest memories are those from camp. I remember trying to explain to my home friends what Wel-Met was all about. I think of my dear friends from camp all the time. The stories are endless and Im lucky enough to still be in touch with my dearest friend Roberta Grubman. Also, with Heidi Shikowitz, another dear friend. Seeing all the names from fellow campers and friends made me cry. A big hello to Lori Levin, Sheila Weisen,Dave Rosenzweig, Stewart Grubby Grubman, Todd Siegel, Steve Miller, Jenny Golub, Sue Puder,Beth Goldberg and Amy. I am still living in California, with my husband, son and daughter. I wish there was a Wel-Met for my kids. I miss you all. Thanks for some of the greatest memories. Lynnexx

Name: Lynne Tasman

Email: Ltasman@worldnet.att.net

City: Woodland Hills

State: Ca.

Message: Mike, thanks so much for being the one to finally put this together! The pictures moved me to tears! Wel-Met was such a meaningful part of my life. I started off in Barryville, Unit 1 Bunk 1 for 3 weeks in 1965, then switched to 6 weeks 66-71, 71 being Pioneers. Was a triple A for two summers in Narrowsburg, a counselor for Unit 5 in 75, and took out Western Trip 3 as a counselor in 1976. Think Ill always be missing Wel-Met...some of my strongest friendships today are with fellow campers. Speaking of which, I stay in touch with Susan Puder, my cousin Stew Grubby Grubman, Jenny Golub, Susan Jacobs, Lynne Tasman,Helen Gitelson, and Michael Zam. So great to read about old buddies here, hope you all are well. I am now living in California with my husband and incredible daughter. Lets keep this site up and running!

City: Carmel,

Message: Mike,Good work getting the Wel-Met site up and running! So glad to hear from Puder today informing me of this site. A day doesnt go by that I dont think of a camp experience and usually smile. So many great friends and memories. Tried to find a similar situation for my kidsnow 16 and 13 but it wasnt out there. Regards to Beth,Grubby,Roberta,Amy,Jenny,Bakes. I speak Todd and occasionally Chuck and we do dinner quaterly in NYC.Lets do a reunionremember, the last get together was at my home in Westchester, 1987? Keep in touch. Best to all. Dave.

Name: David Rosenzweig

Email: ddocdad7077@aol.com

City: Greenwich

State: Ct

Message: Hi all and thanks Mike--this is great fun. I was at Barryville from Unit 1 through the infamous Western Trip 7 of 1972.As Sue said we are in touch along with Roberta Grubman and of course my brother Rob. I also see Jenny Golub regularly and Steve-Max Miller irregularly.My kids 15 & 17 are sick of my camp stories but they like the one about the rainy summer of 1969 when we awoke and all of the counselors had left for Woodstock.

Message: This is so great! Thanks Mike for putting this site together. I was a camper at Barryville from Unit 3 through the Western Trip cant figure out the years!. I keep in touch with Roberta Grubman and Stew Grubbie Grubman but would love to hear from others! I live in Chappaqua, NY with my family, am working as an attorney in Westchester County. Wish my kids had Wel-Met Camp to go to!

Name: Susan Puder

Email: susanpuder@earthlink.net

City: Chappaqua

Message: Congradulations Mike on a fun site for all. The summers of 1974 and 1975 were fun times for me. I was one of the waterfront counselors in Narrowburg. While there I met a number of people who became long term friends. Hello to any that pick up on this site.

Name: Morey Herman

Email: morey.herman@us.pwcglobal.com

Message: Wow Mike great site. I cannot believe the pictures. I like the one of Donnie Rupps Mobil station with the signs directing you to the branches. Like any true Wel-Met person would get lost. Any pictures of Park Bar? It is great to see some familiar names on the site. Hope to see many more.

Name: Scott Cohen

Email: sbcohen426@aol.com

Message: WOW, HI MIke,Danny,Cliff,Barbara, This is great, After years of searching Aol, the web etc for welmet info, you have finally put it together-thanks. For a few years until Aol closed it, we had a fairly active group devoted to wel- met. Those summers were some of my best. It goes to show you that it is the people not the fluff that make lasting memories. Each year got better and better with the western trip being the best of all. I still tell my kids of the food we had. Nothing compares to gorrilla balls, wemet mush mosh, welsh rabbit and onion rolls and cantaloupe on saturday mornings. For a kosker style camp I never understood the lard on the cookouts. I learned to eat liver on one of the cookoutswhat were they thinking? I was at narrowsberg unit 2 -66,67,unit 3- 68 silverlake 70, western trip 71. Mike tanks for putting it all together

Name: Richard Shapiro

Email: Rchshp@ aol.com

City: Livingston

Message: Thank you,Mike.When your brother,Alan,told me about this site I rushed home to enter memory lane. It certainly is that for me and my family.I met my wife, Marge, there in 1964.I remember many of the guestbook signers,some better than others. I intend to tell some of the people that I have kept in touch with about the site. Bob Salmon,Lou Levit,Al Maxman,Lori Spector,Charlie Shayne,Raselle and Eddie Fisher, and, of course, my wife. I have often wondered about many of you. I cover a lot of time there. I worked the summers of 1956 through 1962. I then joined the full time staff 1963 through 1976.I was a Branch Director in each of sites.

Name: Dick Steinberg

Email: mpsteinberg@earthlink.net

City: Ossining

Message: Thanks to Mike - this is a super site. The pictures of camp really bring back memories. I was a camper in Barryville 3 weeks for units II and III in 1965 and 1966 and then switched to 6 weeks in Narrowsburg for Units IV, V and Pioneers in 1967, 1968 and 1969. I thougth it was cool that I was in Bunk 67 in 1967. 1970 was Western Trip 3 and then I worked in Barryville in 1971 Unit V Clerk and 1972. I remember gathering around the one TV in camp to watch the men walk on the moon in 1969 I think it was the night of Visiting Day. Roberta Riportella see post below was in my bunk in Unit V and at one time I was married to Eric Rosenberg another post below. Thanks to Eric for letting me know about this site. My sister Judy was also in camp with me from 1965 through 1970 and then she did Pioneers I think in Silver Lake? in 1971 and the Western Trip in 1972. Would love to hear from any other Wel-Met alumni! I did go to the reunion in NYC back in the 80s and just missed seeing Howard Stern.

Message: If anyone has pictures of Wel-Met, Wel-Met memorabilia, or any other pictures that would be appropriate for our website, please email them to me. Thanks.

Name: mike alterbaum

City: Houston

Message: I look back with very fond memories to the summer of 74 when I was a counselor in Unit 12 at Narrowsburg. Barbara Scheinman, David Prager and I were inseparable and Laurie Kline joined us whenever she could get out of the kitchen. I lost touch with Dave years ago, talk to Laurie about once a year, and Barbara Scheinman will always be one be one of closest friends. My cousin Karen Wenderoff was the arts and crafts counselor that summer in our unit.Even though I took the social work seminar with Barry Morowitz, I broke slightly with the Wel-Met social work tradition and went into education first as a special education teacher. I became an adminstrator very early on and for the past five years have been a Superintendent of Schools in Connecticut.I remember having a great time at two back to back Wel-Met reuions about 17 years ago one in NY and one in Narrowsburg. I think were due for another.Im glad there is a website for people to reconnect and share good memories.

Name: Evan Pitkoff

Email: Pitkoff@aol.com

City: Sandy Hook

Message: Thanks Mike for starting the site, great idea. I could not believe the Barryville Post Card on the home page. You mentioned that Hal Brandell said he was in one of the boats. I guess he forgot to mention that I was standing on the rock with Dick Steinbergs fishing rod. I was in Unit IV so I was most likely 12 in that picture. Dick was the UD and Assistant Camp Director at the time. The fishing rod was returned unbroken so I guess that was the start of my Well-Met career: unit clerk, triple-a, double- a, western trip counselor and director, and cook, which paid the highest hourly rate. I was at the camp for five years as a camper and nine years as an employee, 1962- 1975, so I never got the official ten year pin. I believe you had to be an employee for ten years. Looking forward to hearing from others.

Name: Eric Rosenberg

Email: erosenbe@stevens-tech.edu

City: Cranford

Message: Thanks to Mike for getting this site working, and to Al for encouraging our involvement. I often think fondly of my Wel-Met days. Besides the great people, a lot of the memories have to do with music. I was in Narrowsburg for Units 4 and 5 in 1967-68, that would be The Sound of Music and Fiddler. Pioneer year was spent at Silver Lake, that was Funny Girl and kitchen boys and the flood. 1970 was Western Trip 5 with crazy Mal as our director and Pete Goldberg and Sue E. on guitar. 1971 as a TAC with Al Zucker diving the crazy bus. 1972 had me leading the seniors in song at Silver Lake. 1973 was my toughest year as a Pioneer Counselor at Narrowsburg for a tentful of girls who refused to make a fire but what fun directing them in Grease. Does anyone remember how many cookouts and sleepouts we had to do during Pioneer Camp? I always thought my TAC training would lead me to a career in social work. Well, I ended up as a sociologist doing a lot of outreach with groups around health care access issues, close, but not the same thing. Living happily as a professor at UW Madison, married with two sons who both love to sing. Sure would be nice if folks would write a bit more about themselves. And I hope that others are looking for more memory photos to post!

Name: Roberta Riportella-Muller

Email: rriporte@wisc.edu

City: Madison

State: Wisconsin

Message: I am so happy that you guys are enjoying the site! I know that I am having more fun with this than I ever could have imagined. When I read messages from my old Wel-Met pals, I feel as close to them now as I did 30 years ago. It shows just how special our friendships were. I can clearly picture Todd Siegel and Beth Goldberg eating their tuna fish and jelly sandwiches in Birch Lodge. It is not a pretty picture, but I would love to be there with them right now! Happy New Year everyone, and stay in touch.

City: houston

Message: 1964-1976 I went all the way with Wel-Met. I would love to hear from my old bunkmates and friends. Still in touch with Beth Goldberg, Steve Miller, Jennifer Golub. Amy, Dave, Todd, Julie, Sheila, Sue, Sue, Barbara,Drew, Bobby, Drexler... Where are you ????? Its time for a reunion. Email... I can still blackmail you all with my stories!!! Of course, you could do the same to me. I would love to catch up. My dad and brothers went to Wel-Met. I wish I could send my kids there. Its always in your blood and a part of who you are. I learned so much from camp ,you never know when you will have to build a lean to or a latrine. I want to thank Beth Goldberg for being such a wonderful friend for life and for always doing my lashing for me. I miss camp and everyone I knew. I hope everyone is doing well.

Name: Lori Levin

Email: Virginlori@AOL.com

City: Princeton

Message: Seeing some of these posts is exactly what Mike wanted to see. Im sure there are people were all still in touch with who well be hearing from shortly. Remember that Mike has laid out the total cost of supporting this site and, if youre enjoying what you see, you can him a check to help defray some of the costs. I know hed appreciate it. - A note from big brother. - Cant use parentheses so I used - instead.

Message: Hi and thanks Mike,so much for putting together this site. Just the pictures alone made me cry. Wel-Met is such a huge part of my life, with so many happy memories. I was basically born there spending every summer of my life either day camping as one of those bratty directors kids, or at sleep away at Barryville for the best six weeks of my life every year. I arrived as a staff member in the kitchen waitressing in the all important Green Room Lived in the fabulous birch lodge shortly and shared a tent always with Lori Levin Julie Salmon and Amy Levitt. Shared my tent with Bonnie Bickwit, the fateful year that she disapeared.

Name: Beth Goldberg

Email: Bgold37@aol.com

City: Gloucester

Message: hi all , happy new year and a special thanks to the Alterbaums and anyone else who had anything to do with the creation and participation in this website.......i was a barryville camper from unit 2 up through the western trip you guys really remember what years ?!? and worked in all 3 locations as a highly paid 10wk barn boy for 3 additional summers. As a result of holding down such a prestigious job i had the honor of living in birch lodge with my roomate mike alterbaum.i am trilled to have this opportunity to visit with old friends and see what everyone is up to...me? living and working in ny with my wife and 2 great kids...to a great 2003...todd siegel

Email: p1bear@aol.com

Message: Wow..its finally here, and long overdue - THE Wel-Met website. Thanks, Mike, for making it a reality..and Ive enjoyed talking to you over the last few months while you conjured up the idea and envisioned the layout. Well done! As for me, the memories of Wel-Met are so vivid these days, after talking with Mike about it so much recently. I was a Narrowsburg camper in 68, 69 and 70 Units 4,5 and Pioneers, and then onto the Western Trip in 71 with good friends Mike Alterbaum, Danny Brietstein and many others. I know I have some photos of Wel-Met which I am trying to locate and post here. Look forward to sharing many memories with all who visit this site. Thanks again, Mike!

State: CT.

Message: Thanks to Mike Alterbaum for creating this website. I was a Wel-Metter at the Narrowsburg division for the 3-week trip 1967 - 69 Unit 5, Unit 5 and Pioneers, and Western Trip 6 in 1970..those were the best summers of my life..sadly, I was unable to secure a job the next summer, but did go up to visit my lifelong bud Fran Reich...those summers will always be remembered fondly...email me if you remember me..id love to hear from you

Name: Nancy Gaines

Email: NancyShap29@aol.com

City: Melville

Message: Wow! This brings back such wonderful memories. Thanks for setting it up Mike and thanks to Alan for letting me know about it. I spent 8 summers at Wel-Met from 1965-1972, as a camper in Narrowsburg from 65-69 1966 was in Barryville, western trip 6 in 1970 and 2 years as a clerk in the Narrowsburg office. Many of my most cherished friendships were formed during thoses years. I learned about life, love, politics, and the values that led me to a career in Social Work. Thanks for providing a place to reflect on those hap

Name: Fran Reich

Email: sffrannie@earthlink.net

City: San Francisco

Message: You Alterbaums have made my day! What a great new years treat to find this site! Wel-met continues to influence me in a zillion ways--still best friends with Fran Reich and David Klafter too--and when times get rough in life I always return to the Welmet in my mind: the Donut Farm, Sweet Baby James, even the leadballs in the dining hall! Wow...Ill be back to talk

Name: Eric Rofes

Email: eerofes@aol.com

City: San Francisco

Message: The other night, I had a great Wel-Met coversation with Hal Brandel who, among many other things, ran the Barryville Kitchen. And just like my brother and me, his childhood summers were all spent at Wel-Met. Hal told me that in the picture of the Barryville Lake shown on the Home Page, he is actually in a rowboat out in the water. That is so cool!! Gotta go. Ill check in later.

Name: mike A.K.A peach alterbaum

Message: Congratulations, Mike, on a job well done. Im sure it will be a great success and bring a lot of old friends together. I was a camper from 1964 to 1968 in Narrowsburg and on a Western Trip in 1969. I worked at camp, first as a AAA in Barryville in 1970 and 1971, an AA in Silver Lake and in Narrowsburg in 1972, then an AA in Narrowsburg in 1973 and 1974. In 1975 I was a counselor on a Western Trip and then a PA in Unit 5 in Narrowsburg in 1976 and 1977 and was there for the final roundup bell. It would be great to hear from many of my former Wel-Metters, including Howard Stern.

Message: Mike, congradualations on the web site. Your dedication to your past associates at wel-met is admirable. Best of luck to you and all the people you have positively effected with the camps and your new site.

Name: Anthony Barker

Email: tony@computerdepartment.net

City: Katy

Message: It is unbelievable that there has never been a Wel-Met website before. THANK YOU Michael Alterbaum for creating this! Everybody please spread the word so we can find our friends again. I was a Silver Lake Pioneer 1970, Western Trip III 1971, T.A.C. 1972, Narrowsburg Unit Clerk 1973 and Narrowsburg Counselor 1974. I guess my Wel-Met claim to fame was that I was married to Mike Alterbaum for a while, but we remain friends to this day thanks to our Wel-Met ties. I cant wait to see who signs on here. And how many of us became social workers - like me - teachers or lawyers? Whatever we are now, I look foward to the memories everyone brings to this website.

Message: For quite a long time, many of us Wel-Met alumni have wished that someone would create a Wel-Met Camps website. I guess it was because I wanted one so badly that I finally decided that I would try to make it happen, and hopefully, you guys are pleased with the result. As I worked on the website, it brought back so many great memories of my 6 years as a camper in Narrowsburg from 1965 thru 1970, my Western Trip in 1971, and the years that I worked at Wel-Met in 1972,73, and 74. So now that we have our own website, I ask that we do only one thing: ENJOY IT!