Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > The Old Guest Book
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
David Fried

Old Guest book second section

Message: Big THANX to the Alterbaums reconnecting has been shaking loose many memories. I remember eating cold chinese food - mostly lo mein - at 2AM in Howards tent with Danny Hill saying eat that shit fast and quiet Im trying to fn sleep - thats some bs mfers. Hong Fats chow I bet. I remember Heavy Hangin Out with Danny Hill was a legit activity until Woody BANNED it. And of course Stern doing the news and commentary via days-old NY newspapers often with sports and OpEd by Bruce Gollop at the steps of Howards tent. Stern if you see this I have yet to thank you for letting me onto the then secret of Lowell George. In the context of THE DEAD SUCK of course. How hip was I when that 1st LP came out and spun it for my homies, eh?

Name: Cliff Ageloff

Email: telemark@verizonmail.com

City: Essex

State: MA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: To Jane....I remember saying we got the rhythm of the hips...so sexy! Then it was something about numbers or turning, covering your eyes and pointing to someone...I can see the whole thing in my mind in front of the Barryville mess hall, just cant remember it all....anyone else? I also remember walking down to the lake singing John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt....dadadadadadadadadadadadadadadad.....!!! !!

Name: Suzi Langer Schultz

Email: Beachbumsrls@aol

City: Oceanside

State: NY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: Ditto!! to Barbaras post. Cant please everyone all the time!!

Name: Mark Cukierman

Email: bubsmachin@aol.com

City: Wayne

State: NJ

Message: I know that I really have no right to interfere with anyones planning of any reunion, but this is just a reminder that some people put a great deal of time and effort into planning the Nevele reunion for this summer when no one else was able or willing to move foward with actual arrangements. If it was not for them, a reunion may not have really taken form, as it does take a lot of time to organize so many people. Since I was not one of those people, this website entry really is not self serving - yet. Okay, this is where it does get a bit self serving... many of us have built our entire summer plans around coming to the already planned reunion to see as many of you as possible. No date or place could ever be convenient to everyone. But talk about convenient, a significant number of us have already made arrangements to fly and drive in from all around the country. Now we all hope this is just one of many reunions. But out of respect for those who worked so hard to make the arrangements, and those who already committed to the arrangements, can any other reunion plans please not put anyone in the position where they might give up plans for the Nevele trip because another reunion is being planned this summer at a more convenient location for some. There is a whole year to choose from, please dont be the cause of people pulling out of the current plans for August 16th. After spending these months with everyone taking such pleasure from reconnecting with past friends, and sharing memories with complete strangers who already are becoming new friends, it would be such a shame if we ended up with a battle of the reunions.

Name: Barbara Scheinman

Email: bks@cox.net

City: Mission Viejo

State: CA

Message: As one of the Barryville 25 from the reunion on May 17, I want to send Mike Alterbaum another big THANK YOU! It all happened because we connected through this site! It was incredibly wonderful to see everyone. Sorry to be missing so many Narrowsburg friends at the August reunion but cant wait to hear about it.And how come no one has mentioned that famous oatmeal?

Name: Roberta Grubman

Email: SSteinee@aol.com

City: Carmel

State: Ca

Message: I know that I really have no right to interfere with anyones planning of any reunion, but this is just a reminder that some people put a great deal of time and effort into planning the Nevele reunion for this summer when no one else was able or willing to move foward with actual arrangements. If it was not for them, a reunion may not have really taken form, as it does take a lot of time to organize so many people. Since I was not one of those people, this website entry really is not self serving - yet. Okay, this is where it does get a bit self serving... many of us have built our entire summer plans around coming to the already planned reunion to see as many of you as possible. No date or place could ever be convenient to everyone. But talk about convenient, a significant number of us have already made arrangements to fly and drive in from all around the country. Now we all hope this is just one of many reunions. But out of respect for those who worked so hard to make the arrangements, and those who already committed to the arrangements, can any other reunion plans please not put anyone in the position where they might give up plans for the Nevele trip because another reunion is being planned this summer at a more convenient location for some. There is a whole year to choose from, please dont be the cause of people pulling out of the current plans for August 16th. After spending these months with everyone taking such pleasure from reconnecting with past friends, and sharing memories with complete strangers who already are becoming new friends, it would be such a shame if we ended up with a battle of the reunions.

Message: Hi Everyone! This is to let you know that we have receivedour contract back for our reunion at the Nevele back and wecan start booking rooms. I will be sending an e-mail thisweek to everyone who has said they are interested in coming. In it you will have all the info you need to make yourreservation!If anyone hasnt received the original invitation, pleasee-mail me at the address below. This is going to be anincredible event....and lots of fun! I cant wait to see youall!

Name: Laurie Kline

Email: urvashi@catskill.net

City: Hurleyville

Message: ok, what comes after we got the rhythm of the hips, one two three? Mr. and Mrs. Basuk... I send you my love! How wonderful to read your post and how great to be back in touch with Claudia and Peach. Somehow growing older became much sweeter since visiting with all of you again.gorilla balls, oy.Love, Jane

Name: Jane Goldschlager

Email: goldschlager@mindspring.com

City: Chinatown, Flushing

Message: Narrowsburg, camper & staff 1961-1971. So much fun that I still live in the woods.

Name: Benny Wax

Email: benny@vtlink.net

City: Stowe

State: Vt

Message: What could be better than a Wel-Met reunion and trip back to camp, particularly after having reconnected with so many of my old camp buddies. Unfortunately the date doesnt work for me, and many others with whom I have spoken. When Howie Stern wrote that his mother felt there was no need to schlep all the way into the city for the camp bus pick up, he gave me an idea. For those of us who cannot make the Nevele reunion, why not try to arrange one in NYC or on Long Island?

Name: Julie Light

Email: Peeeches2@yahoo.com

City: Manhasset

Message: Mr. Basuk, it warmed my heart to read your posting here after having spent time with your family as a teenager. You and your wife are two of the most wonderful people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Thank you for always making me feel at home in your house. My very best to Florence.

Message: Mr. Basuk, it warmed my heart to read your posting here after having spent time with your family as a teenager. You and your wife are two of the most wonderful people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Thank you for always making me feel at home in your house. My very best to Florence.

Message: Fran Reich!! I saw your message on this site and tried to email you. but it keeps bouncing back. If you see this, please try contacting me. And Paul Basuk, my goodness, it has been years! We worked waterfrontboats together in Narrowsburg. I have a vague memory... did you visit me my freshman year at Cornell when you were at Colgate? Of course, a lot of my memories from those years are vague wisps and fragments...

Name: Roz Guterman

Email: rguterman@earthlink.net

City: Ithaca

Message: My children, Paul, Claudia and Pamela, enjoyed many years at the camp,including the final Western Bus tour to finish up the Wel-Met experience. That bus! Starting off and ending at Madison Ave and 26th Street, NYC, with all you kids milling about in your own inimitable Wel-Met style.Thanks for the memories,folks! I also was pleased to host some of you, several times, at my place in Plainvew,Long Island, where my wife, Florence, and I still reside. Nice times to see you all, as I did often on my visits to Narrowsburg. My photo albums are full of you all in all your zest and spirit. As my 83rd birthday approaches this August,they still keep me going.Thanks for being, youngsters that still are. Morris Basuk

Name: Morris Basuk

Email: kusab@aol.com

City: Plainview

Message: Thanks Dave Rosenzweig ... had I not ruined your holiday weekend with a foot emergency, I would have never known about this great memory lane. And Claudia Basuk, oh my God, how are you? - I recently thought about you and your family while freezing my ass off in the recent peace marches and your father draft counselling for Vietnam in your basement.- and Mike?! Thank you for doing this! and where is Alan? and Geri? and where is Eric Ratinetz my first real love?... we got the rhythm of the hands - 123 and Fred Newdom? and that western trip - and the grand canyon ten - I still swear I did not smoke pot - and how could they not have believed ME?! and those photos! So, I send you all my best and my love and I hope to hear from at least one of you. Me? probably not unlike many others ... divorced, two kids - the eldest, Alexandra, graduating from Stuyvesant and is off to Bennington in the Fall and Jonah will be a junior at Hunter H.S.. Ive actually finished two degrees the first took 10 years and the masters just finished. And I am teaching music, used to work as a pastry chef and live in Queens. Happy, healthy and just delighted to be here. Please let me know how you are! Looking forward... love Jane

Name: Jane Goldschlager

Email: goldschlager@mindspring.com

City: Chinatown, Flushing

Message: Remember our Pioneer Tent 1970, being tucked ineach night by Felice Karlitz? Are you still around? Did I hear you married Jerry?

Name: claudia Basuk

Email: cbasuk@aol.com

City: Dix Hills

Message: Thank you Mike Alterbaum for this fabulous website! Just logged on for the first time, and already am back in touch with Wendy Wittner, Eddie Karp and Cara Tannanbaum!!Lots of wonderful memories and it does seem like yesterday!! I pass the Wel-Met sign each summer as I travel past Monticello to Pennsylvania camps, and have visited Wel-Met with my brother Paul a few years back. Same bunks, same mess hall, same water front, and we even found Pauls name in the boat house!!! And the friendships go on and on.... Love you all! Claudia Basuk

Name: Claudia Basuk

Message: Hey Everybody. A big Barryville Roundup was held on Saturday May 17th in NYC. About 25 of us former B-ville campers met for a GREAT night of laughter and reminiscing. Several folks came in from Caifornia for the festivites. Most of us were at B-ville sometime between 1966 and 1971 and on western trips in 1972. Some of us hadnt seen each other in 10, 15, 20,25, and even 30 years. It took about 1 minute but we all picked up where we left off all those years ago. Lots of sharing of old pictures,Wel-Met memorabilia thanks for the original Wel-Met pencils,Todd, stories of camp, and lots of pictures of children. We even strolled past 50 Madison after dinner. A really great night. The early birds left at about 2:00am and the rest stayed up all night talking and laughing. Everyone looked terrific! The B-ville 25: Grubman Stew, Grubman Roberta, Puder, Levitt, Goldberg,,Salmon,Golub, Levitt,Shikowitz,Langer, Miller, Siegel, Rosenzwieg, Baicker ,Seid, Madnick, Fradkin, Weisen,Kapelov,Rothbart, Fried, Hammer. I apologize if I missed anyone. Thanks again to Stew Grubman and Lori Levin-Hyams for getting things organized. And a big thank you to Mike Alterbaum for the web-site, the impetus for us all getting togther. Pictures of everbody at http:disc.server.comIndices204726.html. Thank you Paul Langer

Name: Marty Baicker

Email: MHMCMWB@aol.com

City: Bronx

Message: What a treat to get a call from Wendy Wittner tonight 52303. Great to be back in touch after way too many years. Hi to Eddie, Chuck, Bob, Brett, Cara, Alice, Joanne, Janet, Karen and everyone else. Would love to get emails from all of you.

Name: Claudia Basuk

Message: Very cool. I agree that the reunion should be in NYC on some blistering day in August. Ill bring the bug juice, cheese sandwiches and insect repellant. We can cool off in the Harlem Meer about as free of algae as the lake at Narrowsburg and Ill dust off the old todos los botes adentro ahora.

Name: Paul Basuk

Email: pmbasuk@nyc.rr.com

City: New York

Message: Thank you Howard Stern, I too heard him talk about the siteand the reunion on his show. Im glad he did, I often thinkabout my time a Wel-Met and how great it was to go to campwhere no one kwew me from home, a summer without the baggageof home. We all remember the bad food, that green stuff onthe lake in the morning and the rocks on the ball fields,but the people were great and that made the camp great. Its been 30 years since Ive seen or heard from anyone fromcamp, so I am looking forward to the reunion. I started atSilverlake in 1966, then went to Narrowsburg from 67-73, Ispent 3 years in unit 1, then unit 2,3,4,PC, 1974 WS 1. Ihave real hard time remembering anyones name, its been 30years!!! But if you remember me feel free to email. I lookforward to the reunion.

Name: Larry Ubell 66-74

Email: lubell@si.rr.com

City: Brooklyn

Message: How about all the cakes and rolls baked in Narrowsburg by Al and Jerome. What about Potato the potwasher. Comby of course was one real wildman. Those Comyisms like moppingbefore sweeping and fruity loopies are true gems. In Barryville one break between 3 and 6 week groups we set up an in door filed hockey game kitchen vs anyone. Comby found out and said next year we rent out kitchen as dance hall. Also who can forget Ralhp Weeks with his Vulcan two finger death sqeeze in the shoulder that had you on the floor wiggling in pain. Then he would throw a chair at you for good measure. Or Don Main and the Popielmobile jeep he drove or Shag and Andy the two drunk stinky smelly maintanence guys. Gee I could go on forever. And to the person who caught me making tuna with my arms swimming in tuna and mayo up to my elbows it was only a dream.

Name: Scott Cohen

Email: sbcohen426@aol.com

State: ny

Message: What day is the Wel Met reunion scheduled for? Im planning a trip to the NYC area for August but my dates are not confirmed yet. Which hotel in the Catskills will it be in? Would love to join all of you for a game of Capture the White Flag. Remember...Laurie

Name: Laurie Ackerman

Email: laurieackerman@hotmail.com

City: Palo Alto

Message: Remember playing softball in the cage and if you hit over the fence it was double. Listening to man landing on the moon. You always wanted to be the Pantry boy when you worked in the kitchen...

Name: Cevin Bryerman

Email: csb6551@aol.com

City: melville

Message: A dream come true. I get so jealous of my kids this time each year--they get to go to camp. But this August I can too! Al, thanks so much. I was canoeing at Bob Landers last year. You can still get Freihoffers up there.Would be great to hear from everyone.MelanieNarrowsburg camperWestern Trip 6 TAC 1973Kitchen 74Staff 75-76

Name: Melanie Katzman

Email: makatzman@earthlink.net

Message: and a glass of milk in a little white paper cup before bed

Name: Carol Potashnick

Email: carolann218@yahoo.com

City: New Hyde Park

Message: Wednesday...Fish sticks, spaghetti and tri colored ice cream.Turkey Roll, Stuffing and Brown GravyHow about the cold-cut platters with mystery meat and rye bread. I remember counting oreos for snack... One for each camper.

Name: Mike Siehs

Email: msiehs@hotmail.com

City: Melville

Message: Peanut Butter and Jelly in melmac bowls. Syrupy Fruit salad for desert. Challah was definately there on Friday, as was roast chicken or was it pigeon ?, scrambled eggs floating in water with a somewhat green tint. Should I go on ? Pancakes like rubber. One plus -the Saturday AM onion rolls. Very Deep.

Name: Eddie Karp

Email: Karpen123@aol.com

City: Cold Spring

Message: Did we or did we not get Challah for Shabbat dinner, only to be followed the next morning by French Toast? The Gauntlet has been thrown and I am asking for a little help here. And while we are on the subject, I need a refresher course on typical Wel-Met Bill of Fare. Anybody remember any of the other meals? I have this recurring nightmare about some sort of Yankee Pot Roast. Menu anyone?

Name: Brett Finkelstein

Email: docbrett@aol.com

City: safety harbor

State: fl

Message: Scott: I do hope to come to the reunion. Its very nice to see the postings on the web site. The question STILL is,Who came first, Gol or Odin?

Name: dean weber

Email: deanchi123

City: westbury

Message: Messieurs Weber and Bryerman: Great to see that both of you posted. I spoke wLaurie Kline and Peach several weeks ago and Ive been logging on ever since. I plan to attend the reunion and hope that both of you can make it.Cevin: I remember Shirley-just another one of Combys more memorable and pithy observations- others being mop before sweep is like wipe ass before taking shit, and you dont like Fruitie Loopies, eat shit. Dean: Continuing in the same kitchen vein, how about Ralph Weeks and, these plums are delicious.

Name: Scott Gollop

Email: scott.gollop@wcb.state.ny.us

City: Delmar

Message: Fern, sorry- I am with Mark. I solve the worlds problems on a regular weekly basis. I relish the opportunity to have a Wel-Met weekend, be 14 again and drink bug juice then back to social injustices on Monday.

Name: Eddie Podolsky

Email: artona@aol.com

City: Toledo

State: OH

Message: Message is for Fern Steinmetz. I do not know you and have nothing personal against you. Given that disclaimer you should lighten up on this web site. We all know about the Wel for welfare. This is a memory blast from the past and bug juice, gorilla balls, rocky mountain toast, the Trading Post, Pioneers, Western Trips are what it is all about. Going to the Nevele in the borscht belt will be an opportunity of a lifetime to reacquaint with old friends and make new ones. It will be a chance to think about our age of innocence and not so innocence. We all have social thoughts and obligations to make this world a better place for ourselves and our children, but for those few days it as more than right to bond, bullshit and laugh. If you do not want to come--please do not do so. If you want to come and join in the fun and spirit--then please do.

Message: I dont remember the year of the western trip but our bus got stuck in Lurvne Minnesota for a couple of days. We pitched tents in the town park and was fed by the Red Cross. We played softball with the locals. Just another memory. Mr Comby gave me the nickname Shirly !!! I remember that he would beat the bat against the walls of our bunk to wake us up in the morning.

Name: EP

Email: na

City: na

State: na

Message: Sorin MaGorin... and Richie Cohen. Nice to see you both posting! Weve got an email list of our group started and Ill be adding you both to it.

Message: okay, so those of you who went on your western trips in 1970, and spent the summers before in narrowsburg except for pioneers in silver lake in 69 for me -- lets hear from you about this reunion?? whos going?? if youre not on our separate email list of about 30 people, email me directly and i will add you to our list.

Name: robbi goldberg

Email: robbgold@aol.com

City: east moriches

Message: Hey, Paul...I cant even remember what part of our Western trip came before or after we lost you to Queens...But now that I think of it, where were you when we were all doffing the ol Micky Ds hats and sitting in cooking pots in front the scenery?!! Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Hope they will help us find a few more old friends. Finkie

Name: susan finkelstein

Email: anothersfink@aol

City: westport

State: ct

Message: Hey, wow, this is so cool !!! I went to Narrowsburg in the early 60s,Pioneers and went on the 2nd western trip in 1966. I was just contacted by Dave Goldman a fellow camper and he informed me about this web.Im posting this message hoping to make contact wit fellow Wel-Meters

Name: Neal Fassberg

Email: FangDr@aol.com

Message: Iwas Silverlake in 1968 and from 1969 to 1974 I was at Narrowsburg. I went on the Western Trip in 1975. I think it was trip 2 or 3. Seeing this websight brings back great memories of great times.

Name: Suzanne (Suzy) Davis Salter

Email: spdsalter@aol.com

City: Newton

Message: 1972 cross country trip. camper from 1969-1972 at barryville, infirmary clerk 1973 barryville, unit clerk 1974 narrowsburg. Fondest memories. Wild seeing almost everyone 517- missed you curis. love to my bunkmates:LL, BG, JS, SP, JG, AL, SK, HS, RG.

Name: Sheila Hoffer Weisen

Email: thrpywx1@l.com

City: Dx Hills

Message: Howard Stern on the radio this morning talking about this website and the planned reunion. Talked about some guy Peachwho created this site and how he has contacted alot of old valued camp friends. Talked about loving Wel-Met and also acknowledged the upcoming reunion. Of course Howard being Howard states why the hell does the reunion have to be upsate near the camp. He wants it in NYC!! LOLRegards again to all Unit 5 Narrowsburg 1969. Some familiar music from that summer---Zagar and Evans In the Year 2525, One is the Lonliest Number, Hair and Aquarius. !969 magical because of my summer in WelMet and of course the NY sports magic year for the Jets, Mets and Knicks. God Bless Dave DeBusschere!!!

Message: I just made contact with Eddie Karp. Looking for lost friends of Narrowsburg, Silver lake and Kitchen staff. I miss the bug juice and welfare americam cheese. And of course MR. Comby and cecil !!!

Message: update-I check periodically but havent discovered names of those I knew way back when. Anyone know where any of the following are? Bob Hazelcorn? Butch Liebowitz? Mitch Nagler? Neil Forman? Lois Woltag? Dick Seltzer? Bib Koshkin? Mark Soloway? Laura Feinstein? Caryn Grossman? Andrea Mandlowitz? Need I go on? Get the picture? Id love to get in touch with any or all of you. Gets get the rhythm of the beat, boom boom, boom.......

Name: Leslye Cooky Adelman

Email: momof3inla@adelphia.net

City: Sherman Oaks

Message: Forgot to tell you that all of my camp experiences from 70- 74 were in Barryville. I have tons of pictures to scan in latter.

Name: laurie ackerman

Message: Robyn Jacobs Fox called me to say whats going on here and Alan Brick-Turin wrote me about it.I spent my summers in Barryville Unit 2 through Pioneers I think, 1965-1969, and then No. 6 Western Trip in 70 again, I think. Looking through some of what my old friends are writing, Im overwhelmed with memories and excitement...and I hate school reunions. So, from my tour of duty, weve got Robyn, Kay, Eddie, Froggie, Richie, Suzy, and email to Mike Levine, right? Anyone seen Todd Benjamin?Can we all meet at Columbus Circle or Joel Ms house in Woodmere? Can we play Anaconda during schmooze? Can we smoke Bay Leaves? Can we dance to Break on Through? -- Sorin MaGorin

Name: Sorin Garber

Email: garberwest1@msn.com

City: Portland

State: OR

Message: When my old friend Diane Hartwich Soriano who I met in July 1971 in bunk 62, told me about this web ite, I just couldnt believe it. How easy these memories have returned. Remember the Shabbat dinners and how nice the mess hall looked with the white sheets and the candels. My first summer at Wel Met was during the 3 week session in July of 1970 Unit 3, Bunk 42. My counselor was named Judy. One evening, myself and some other girsl in the bunk had a misunderstanding. Judy helped us work everything out. I remember asking her what she did during the rest of the year an she said she was a social worker. From that moment on, it became my goal to become a social worker. I have been a social worker at the VA hospital in Palo AltoMenlo Park CA since 1984. Judy, wherever you are, thank you for this wonderful gift and beware that I have never forgotton you. Other summers at Wel Met:The 4 week session in July 1971. Bunk 63 Unit 4. It was the best time ever. Where are you Lowell, the counselor of bunk 73. I loved you all summer long and you never knew it. The 6 week session in JulyAug. 1972: Bunk 85 Unit 5: Where are you Melanie from somewhere in Long Island was it Babelon?. Pioneer Camp, 3 week session in July: The summer my paretns decided to send my younger brother to camp and forced me to go to the 3 week sesion since he just couldnt go away for 6 weeks. Jay and Donna from Comack, are you out there? Western Trip 5: Summer of 1974: It was the best. To the tune of Leaving on a Jet plane... were speeding on white bus. Dont know what cops are after us. What was the name of our Puerto Rican bus driver? I went to SUNY Binghamton with many of you from 1979-1981. Went to NYU for my Masters in Social Work and then left NYC for San Francisco. I think of my Wel Met times often since now I have a daughter going on her own Western Trip. Does anyone from Wel Met live near in the Bay Area now?Love to all of you.Laurie Wollenberger AckermanFrom Tenafly, NJ.

Name: Laurie Ackerman

Message: Finkie - didnt you take any photos of our western trip beofre I got booted off?

Name: Paul Mendelowitz

Email: pcmmd@att.net

Message: p.s. did it REALLY rain for about four straight weeks in the summer of 69 -- or is that just my memory abetted by woodstock festival nostalgia playing tricks on me?your former summer girlfriend,Fern

Name: fern steinmetz

Email: welmet@valley.net

City: wrj

State: vt

Message: Look: It wasnt about gorilla balls and bug juice. The Wel in Wel-Met stands for welfare -- as in community and social justice. So, now, it shouldnt be about hanging out at some borscht belt hotel and figuring out who sugared klinemans motorcycle. It should be about convening in solidarity and thinking about the present -- figuring out how to restore a world where places like Wel-Met could thrive. Any takers for THAT proposition?one who actually paid attention toall those saturday morning forums,Fern

Name: Fern Steinmetz

City: White River Junction

State: VT

Message: Thanks so much to Mike for all this. For the reunion, whatmight be helpful for us to know is how much time well beallotted at the camp--start and end time--which will help usall to plan things. If you have far more people just showingup for the camp than doing the hotel thing, we might want tofind a way to meet somewhere nearby beforehand to hang outand talk since the meet and greet will be almost as fun asthe walk through the camp. In fact--Im just shooting fromthe hip here--if it was a nice day and the camp is amenableand if theyd give us an area to hang--the ballfields, thatopen rec hall a few hundred feet from the main dining hallentrance,or how about the main dining room itself! etc--wecould do that. We could end it with a round up of campsongs, etc. For my part, rather than spending hundreds for ahotel room, Id rather pay 50 or 75, half to go to Mikefor his expenses and half to go to the camp as a donationfor their cooperation. David Goldman 51803, Narrowsburg3-wks 63,64,65 Units 4-5-6, Western Trip 66, Kitchen 67-68.

Name: David Goldman

Email: Davidg@DavidGoldman.com

City: Croton on Hudson

Message: Great site! Thank you Mike. Went to Wel-Met from 1967 to 1974 and it made a lasting impression. Spent summers with Lana, Richie, Norman, Cindy, Jeff, Beth, Bobby, Edie, and so many more. I miss this place! Bellyache parties after Visiting Day, Cherry at infirmary, Food that was questionable at the Mess Hall, Rock festival to pick up actual rocks. Where is Richie Cohen from Canarsie? Be in touch.

Name: Aimee Grubin

Email: AimeeGK@ AOL

City: Greenlawn

Message: What a great way to reconnect to our fun-filled carefree past! Thank you Mike. Went to WM from 1977 to Western Trip in 1974 with Bob the bus driver and Joel, Richie, Lana,Linda, Beth,Bobby, Lloyd, Gary, Cincy, Karen, etc.Was in Homesick Club in Unit 2 . Remember Belly-Ache parties after Visiting Day? Rock Festivals to pick up actual rocks in the field. How about Cherry in the infirmary? Richie Cohens hilarious antics? Where are you Richie? So many memories come to mind. Be in touch .

Name: Aimee Grubin

Email: AimeeGK

City: Greenlawn

Message: barbara S. Thanks for calling me a week ago please give me your e mail address, Peach- great talking to you via cell phone a few months ago- sorry I disappeared- its sometimes hard to relate the shit that goes on. Youre still the best softball pitcher that I ever faced Dean Weber

Name: dean weber

Email: dean chi 123 @ aol.com

City: westbury

Message: Sugaring Klinemans Motorcycle, eh?Woody you just cant move on, can you? I DO know who sugared Klinemans motorcycle, but since my stash was unduly surrendered, I swore Id never tell. I could only sweep Klinemans office so so so many times before it got real old. But thanks Wood-man for NOT chucking my sorry ass out of camp. Im sure for a while there anytime anything went awry, I was among the usual suspects.

Message: Frog told me to find this site, and he was right. I DO REMEMBER. I was in Barryville late 60s & then on WTC 4 in 1971. Worked in the Barryvile Kitchen for a while & was only knocked out 1 time in a boxing match. Counselor in Barryville 1974-5. Counselor on Western trip 1976 where only 1 kid was shot, in Rivington, Wyoming. Its nice to see all the familiar names and stories on this site. What is August 16th about? If anyone wants to go cross-country again Im ready and packed. I still use that green knapsack that I stole 32 years ago. Better yet, I still use the Papperelli Laundry Bag. I would love to hear from all who remember, because I remember too. Love: RC

Name: Richie Cohen

Email: richdtc@aol.com

City: NYC

Message: Brett and Chuck it was great talking to you, Mike manythanks for the site. Danny thanks for the e-mail. I will tryand persuade Cara to come with me in August.Cliff I havephotos of you from Jerome Ave, and If any one from westerntrip one 1971 gets e-mail marked welmet photos it justmeans i figured out how to work my scanner.Eiger

Name: Janet Eiger

Email: mayjanjim@aol.com

City: pleasantville

Message: As I get ready to send my two girls off to a fancy camp in Maine, lots of memories of my summers in Narrowsburg,Silver Lake Pioneers 68, western trip 69 and as a counselor come to mind. It was great to see messages from Emily Saltz, Leslie Achitoff and Meri Weingarten. Where are you Rita Karasyk???

Name: Andrea Gold

Email: goldschein@mindspring.com

City: miami beach

Message: Nburgers and 75 Western Trippers ...miss you all from time to time...drop me a line! I am so happy to find this site and any old friends that might want to say hello!Peace! Cliff

Message: Well Barryville Pioneers 1970, six week campers are showing up!!!! Im still waiting for Judi to post...anyone know where Randi Hochberg is??? It is wonderful connecting with everyone.

Email: Beachbumsrls@aol.com

Message: This has been incredible. Connecting with people who I have often thought about but havent spoken to in years has been a hoot. In one day I spoke to Kay, Eddie, Suzie, and Howie. Its been a long time since I thought about round-up and singing Hiroshima songs, onion rolls and neuchatel cream cheese, schmooze,and Montys Fruity Loopies. I found Sorin, and well have to get him online. How do I post my photos. I see my brother Mark is here too. Thanks for bringing me back to some of my best times.

Name: Robin Jacobs Fox

Email: robin@pisabrothers.com

City: NYC

Message: Its all a blur. But if my geezer memory serves me well I started as a camper in Silver Lake in 1960 and ended as a counsellor in 71. It mustve been fun. Contact me if you want to take me to dinner one evening.

Name: Mark Jacobs

Email: mbjacobs@aol.com

City: Westport

State: CT

Message: I was a camper in Barryville unit 5 - 1968Pioneer - 1969Pioneer Clerk TAC Narrowsburg 1971 and Counselor Narrowsburg. Id love to hear from some of my old friends!

Name: Robin Jacobs

Email: robin@pisabrothers.com

Message: What a poignant site! The image of the dining hall inBarryville, in all its palladian splendor, but in aghostlystate of non-use, brought me right back to my days asawillowly, boy-crazy wel-metter -- from 1969 through onesummer of highly un-lucrative employment in 1975. All butone of those years were spent in Barryville -- which was,inmy opinion, the quintessential Wel-Met location. York Lakewas NOT the muddy lagoon referenced on the home page here--that must have been Narrowsburg and or Silver Lake. Likeessentially everyone else who has posted here, I think ofWel-Met as among the most influential and inspiringexperiences of my youth. But rather than wallow innostalgia, and regret that MY kids will never have theWel-Met experience, I call upon those who know to explain: What caused the demise of this organization? Other camps ofWel-Mets heyday are still in existence, some of them rootedin the same simplicity and idealism that our camp embodied. One example is near me in Vermont -- the Farm andWilderness Camps. Ive always assumed it had something todo with an abandonment of Wel-Mets working class roots, assymbolized by the NYC headquarters move from modest digs onUnion Square to the pallazzo-like opulence of 50 MadisonAvenue. But I might be completely wrong about that. Iveseen postings from folks like Lou Levitt and Dick Steinberghere -- perhaps they could share some insight, since therelevant statutes of limitation have now run?

Name: Fern Steinmetz

City: White River Junction

Message: I see Paul finally got on and posted something! Howie... hi!!!! I just got off the phone with Mike Levines voicemail- left him a message to call me. Looking forward to that call. And Paul reminded me that he ran into Sherry Gross in Colorado about 15 years ago. Maybe we can locate her. As a wedding photographer I have virtually no free Saturdays until November, but Im going to try and make it to the reunion this summer for Sunday. Write more... its fun hearing about what everyone is doing.... Eddie

Message: Hey, My brother Ed told me this site was up and running Been living in Lackawaxen remember the hike across the Roebling Bridge? for the past sixteen years. I ve been to the Barryville site many times and up to Narrowsburg a few times over the years. I hope anyone I knew, way back when, will drop an E-mail and say hi. You know who you are!! I remember those days as the best days of my youth. Hope to hear from you soon. Paul

Name: Paul Podolsky

Email: sky357@aol.com

City: lackawaxen

State: Pa

Message: I attended in the summer of 1967 in Barryville. It was the only year I went to a sleep away camp and it was one of the best summers I had as a kid. I was 10 years old although most of the kids in my bunk were 11, so it was a little bit of an education. I think my counselor was Rick Calluchi...sorry if spelling is wrong. Thanks for the memories

Name: David Sieradski

Email: DAVID.SIERADSKI@XEROX.USA.COM

City: Long Island

Message: Hello everyone!! I finally got a chance to sit down and check in. Suzi Langer has been naggong me for days...as always.I speak to Dave Greenberg,Don Sperling,Lloyd Garten regularly. The nickname Frog has survived to age 48. I wear it proudly. It was given to me by Andy Luchansky in unit 2,I think. Im living in Briarcliff, N.Y. with my wife and two adopted daughters from China ages 5 and 7. Special hello to Kay and Eddie.Laura Kramer lives in the Bunk directly across the street with her three kids.

Name: Frog Rosenzweig

Email: Frogjin@AOL

City: Briarcliff Manor

Message: I found out about the website today from Laurie Langer weve been friends since jhs and I cant begin to tell you what I am feeling as I write this. I was a lifer camper 1958-64, western trip 1965 & counselor in 68, at the camp my parents claimed and who was I to disagree bred free love, free sex and anything else that was free. I lived for those 3 weeks of freedom all year long and my fondest memories are of those years. I have 3 grown children who never appreciated summer camp and couldnt understand those unforgettable summers their loss. My greatest recollections: Cooky & Her Crumbs and Hazel & His Nuts Bob Hazelcorn, where are you? Saturday morning services each and every overnite the entire western trip I kept in close touch with the Jensbys until the mid-90s & hitch hiking with Eddie Scheckner when I was a counselor to see Simon & Garfunkel back in Queens. As I write this the flashbacks grow. Would love to share the memories & thanks for putting this website together for us.

Name: Leslye Cooky Adelman

Email: momof3inla@adelphia.net

City: Sherman Oaks

Message: MY GREATEST MEMORIES IN MY LIFE WERE ONES FROM WEL-MET,I STARTED IN UNIT 5,PIONEERS ,WESTERN TRIP AND CIT.WE SAW THE NORTHERN LIGHTS IN NORTH DAKOTA ON THE WESTERN TRIP. UNFORGETABLE!! THE FRIENDS I MADE... AIMEE, STILL IN TOUCH WITH, WE BOTH HAVE 2 SONS, JEFF,JOEL MITCH, RICHIE,LINDA, MINDY, KAREN, CINDY NOT TO FORGET LLOYD..I WOULD LOVE TO SEE EVERYONE AGAIN. I AM MARRIED, 2 KIDS, 4 DOGS AND SELL COMPUTER CHIPS. LIVE IN SUFFOLK COUNTY. TYPICAL LONG ISLAND SETTING. DRIVING THE MOUNTAINEER,TO ALL THE SPORTS EVENTS ETC.....WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM THE GANG. PLEASE TELL ANYONE WHO YOU ARE IN CONTACT WITH TO VISIT THIS WEB SITE,SO MAYBE WE CAN ALL GET TOGETHER.

Name: Lana Wilson

Email: Lmorgan422@aol.com

City: Kings Park

Message: Its pretty amazing the details & names that some of you remember from your formative years! My Wel-Met history: 1964 Silver Lake 3 weeks 65, 66, 67 in Barryville Units 2, 3, 5 for 3 weeks 69 Silver Lake Pioneers that was a blast, remember when all the counselors took off for the Woodstock festival?, Western Trip 3 in 1970, and Narrowsburg Unit Clerk in 71. It was just great to get together at the 2000 Western Trip reunion in NYC....thanks again Robbi for your organizational genius!hi to Hank, Ilene, Roz, Barbara, Larry, Larry, etc. and I am delighted to be in touch with Stephanie Ozer, Amy Brenner & Carol PotashnickBoyer - tentmates for at least part of the Western Trip. I went to SUNY Purchase, live in Vermont since 1979 & have a wonderful 21 year old son. Have been in the education or social work arenas for 15 years. So where are the rest of the 10 gaylesbian former Wel-Metters?

Name: Amy Roth

Email: aroth@ddmhs.state.vt.us

City: South Burlington

Message: Wow, reading many of your messages is bringing back a whole lot of good memories. I was a Narrowsburg camper in the early 70s and was on the 74 Western Trip. Looking forward to seeing and hearing from some of my old pals!! I will pass this site on to some of the Wel-Met people that I stay in touch with Lana, Sam. Hi to those who remeber me, write soon! Hi Linda, Karen H., Joel D, Neil O, Todd G.Im now living and working in central NJ, married with 3 children and enjoying life with my wife Denise last name was Graham for some of you who know her. Lake fishing is my favorite pass time, I wonder if I picked that up at Wel-Met?Where is Mitch Schrift, Andy Chamow and Denise Englisher?? Cant wait to hear from all of you!!Best to all past campers!Jeff

Name: Jeff Daniels

Email: jdaniels@amre.com

City: East Windsor

Message: The new pictures are great - does anyone have pictures from Western trip 3 1972? My Instamatic went missing somewhere in Utah and I never had any Western Trip pics. If anyone knows where I can get copies I would be forever grateful. Laurie Harris - were you a counselor on that trip? Does anyone know the whereabouts of Nancy Berger, Steve Martin, Hildi Kilber, Bob Levine? By the way, Im the father of twins and the Wel-Met fertility secret was not the Bug juice, but the Government Surplus American Cheese and Tomato sandwiches. They were carried and dragged through the dirt in peach baskets in 90 degree heat. They ultimately arrived at the campsite with the cheese semi- cooked and the wet tomato bleeding through the white bread. That was the secret.

Message: This is Niki Dreskin. Remember me? Shelley Stahl, you have to email Marilyn Brenner for the words to Puppet Song. I asked her for them when I read her message, and Ive been singing the song ever since. I have had so much fun reading these messages. Shelley, Jono, Marilyn, Al, Jay, Elysa, Laurie, I joined you the summer of 64 in Unit 5 and the quality of my life improved by knowing you all. I also remember, of course, Steve Anker, Charlie Ross, Linda Rauch, Kathy Sanders, Nancy Herman, Barb Blank. Who remembers Corky Zimmerman from Pensacola Florida?? Also--my girls from Pioneers69 Eve, Donna, Barbara, Mindy--who am I forgetting?? and these names from campers Unit 4 68Brett, Danny,et al. Wasnt your counselor Larry Wollman? Laurie Langer- living in Larkspur, CA. Now I understand why I thought I saw you in Macys in S.F. about 20 years ago. Jesse Miller, Laurie Billig, Eddie Fisher. The adults who so influenced me at the time. TAC Summer 67 was incredible. Began a lifetimes work for me doing nursing home patient advocacy now as a lawyer. I was sworn in on June 9, 2000. I have photos--including one of Jono Zeitlin as Oliver in Pioneers 65. Amazing memories. Please contact me!

Name: Niki Dreskin

Email: ndreskin@napanet.net

City: Napa

Message: I love reading all these postings and taking the wonderful wel-met trip down memory lane. Anyone remember all the words to Jesse Millers puppet song? Long ago there was a witch big and bad.... My brother Michael and I are looking forward to the reunion.My two daughters,15&13, are counting the days till they head off for camp...their camp experiences have always brought back tons of wel-met memories but this site is even better.

Name: Shelley Stahl

Email: shells6251@comcast.net

City: Marblehead

State: Ma

Message: Reading a bunch of posts I see I am at least the third person to have a set of twins, identical boys who have miraculously made it to 15 years old. Perhaps the wel-met bug juice influenced the fertility cycle. As well, I see more familiar names, Amy Brenner and Stephanie Ozer from Narrowsburg Pioneers. By the way, remember those murals at Narrowsburg in the Pioneer dining room, Rain and Shine? Rain is a product from the summer of 69, and as I recall, I had a hand in the majority of the mural. I might even be able to find a photo of it if I look real hard.

Name: Nancy Gaines Shapiro

Email: Nancyshap29@optonline.net

Message: Greetings again Wel-Metters... Kay, of course you were.. and are! Ive received emails and phone calls now from several people and Im enjoying every minute of it. Website gurus... how about something on the welcome page telling people how and where to upload their camp photos so that the photo page can be expanded. Id love to see those photos online, downloadable and saveable. Also, something on the homepage about the reunion so the info is easily located. Waving to everyone! Hope to see you all this summer.... Eddie

Message: 1965-68 Camper Narrowsburg 1969 Western Trip 2 KitchenBoy 1970-72 Barryville. I returned as a counselor in 1973Barryville, but recognizing that leaving the kitchen was agrievous error, I quit three days into training week.Returned in 1974 as a pot-washer for Monte Barryville bythe end of the summer I had risen to 2nd Cook. Careerprogression stalled in 1975 when I was demoted to AssistantSalad Man Narrowsburg. Career stalled for good the nextyear when, as the result of an austerity budget, theposition of Assistant Salad Man was eliminated. Graduatedfrom law school in 1980 and have been a public defender eversince. Married, father of 12 year old twins and living inPark Slope, Brooklyn.

Name: David Greenberg

Email: DPGAE@aol.com

Message: Hi Everyone:Tracy Schneider just told me about this Web site. I was a TAC in 1971 and a camper at Barryville for several years before beginning 1966 or 67.Familiar names as I was scrolling through included Eddie Podolsky was I your Dolcimea? and Debbie Nodiff. Howard Stern it was my friend who lost her virginity to you, when you were a kitchen boy, and according to her you are right-it was something to apologize for. This is great. Whoever put this Web site together-Thanks!! Where is Judi Berenson,Sorin and FROG, and how about Luchansky?

Name: Kay Barsky Boonshoft

Email: Kboonshoft3@aol.com

City: White Plains

Message: Just seeing the Wel-Met logo warmed my heart - all those memories. I was a Silverlake camper in 1959, for 3 weeks, moved to Narrowsburg for the next 9 years - Unit One to Pioneers, went on a Western trip, TAC program, Unit Clerk, skipped a year and then a counselor in Unit 4, Jerry Frain Unit Director. That was the year 1969 we went on strike to protest the way things were run. I loved camp.Its so wonderful to hear about people I was fond of and lost touch with. Thank you for this site.

Name: Diane Brawarsky

Email: dianeb314@aol.com

City: Hastings on Hudson

Message: I was a camper at Narrowsburg from Unit 2 through Pioneers, and then a camper on a Western trip. Im hopeless with dates, but I just turned 55 this Jan. 2003. When Unit 5 was newly built I was a camper that year, with Bob Salman as Unit Director.I was a Unit Clerk for two years following, then an Art Counselor for two years, and lastly,I was a counselor on a Western Trip, with my husband, Stuart Greenbaum, who was the Director of that trip. We met one summer when he was a kitchen boy, during the reign of Comby. What a formidable place to grow up in!

Name: Karen Sevell Greenbaum

Email: stukaren@bestweb.net

City: Croton

Message: All the new photos are great. Would someone please write the directions to camp Narrowsberg. Im interested in visiting sometime soon. I live near Monroe, off of Rt.17. Thanks, Elysa Lerner Davis

Name: Elysa Lerner Davis

Email: hazel1952@yahoo.com

City: Highland Mills

State: n.y.

Message: My mistake. After reviewing the photos, I can confidently and unequivocally state that I was on Western Trip 3 in 71. Hi to Cliff S, Danny B, Al Alterbaun, Barbara S, Laurie K, Hildie, Peter and Beth Goldberg.Has anyone heard from Russell M. Leisner, aka Ruff? How about Jeff Factor, aka Constipation.

Message: I just found about this website from Laurie Kline and Mike Peach Alterbaum a few weeks ago, and am thrilled to be able to reconnect wmy Wel-Met friends. I attended Narrowsburg 6for four years starting in 68, and went on the Western Trip in 72. I also worked in the Narrowsburg kitchen for one summer, and then @ Silver Lake, for one summer I think, or maybe it was 2...Anyway, I am an attorney specializing in labor relations and employment law. Presently, I work in Counsels Office for the New York State Workers Compensation Board. I enjoy my work.I am happily married to Sandra, whom I met while attending Binghamton Harpur, and we have two children, Emily 16 and Ben 12. We live in Delmar,which is a suburb of Albany.After leaving Wel-Met, I remained friendly for awhile wDean Weber, and bumped into Ed Sivin from time to time. I would love to hear from those wwhom I progressed through the units as well as from those who I became friends won the Western Trip. I plan to attend the reunion this August. Hope to see many of you then.

Message: My old friend Al Breen emailed me about this site tonight.Stopped me in my tracks. I was a camper in Narrowsburg units4,5 and Pioneers in 63, 64, 65, then Western Trip in 66with Laura Pravitz, Robin Hartman, Neil Fassberg, SharonKarst, Debbie Kaplan, Ricky Bogdan, Glenn Conway, DaveTafler Worked in the Narrowsburg kitchen 67 and 68.Remember very well Al Grodin, Al Brown, Hayla, Davia, IlissaLight, Laurie Langer, Shelley Stahl, Diane Brawarsky, SammyMoriber and his crumbling 57 Chevy, Ned Kirsh, Buck Jones,Louie, Cecil, TC, Howie. At the time we were sure thatkitchen head Jean Comby was a prototype android.... Sograteful to have had this experience. Music was such a bigpart of it for me, from campfire singalongs, to the soundsof the singing outside the dining room as we waited forsupper every evening, to singing Puppet Man with JessieMiller and jamming and harmonizing with Glenn Conway on theWestern Trip. Currently releasing my first CD Summer WithJuliet the title song of which probably owes some of itsroots to the afterglow of those summer romances. Pleasedont tell me the Doughnut Farm is now a gas station. Longlive Dan LaBarr and the Pinewood Lodge!

Name: David Goldman

Email: DavidG@DavidGoldman.com

City: Croton-on-Hudson

Message: I was at Barryville for the 6 week trip every year from 1963 until 1969 and then on trip 3 in 1970. For most of those years except the first and last my cousin Ivy Rosenberg was at camp with me. I would love to hear from anyone who was around there at that time. I was in unit 1, 2 3 skipped 4 and was in 5 twice and then Pioneers in 1969 the first year that Barryville moved Pioneers and it rained every day so we lived in mud for 6 weeks. I wish we were back there now mud and all.Two years ago our western trip had a 30th reunion in NYC and it was fabulous. Everyone was so happy to be together that no one wanted to leave. I assume the August reunion will be the same.Hoping to hear from an old friend.Lisa Naishuler

Name: Ilisa Naishuler

Email: LNdaly@aol.com

City: Douglaston

State: N.Y.

Message: I have some great news regarding the Reunion. The wonderful people who run Camp Sternberg, which as most of us know, used to be our Narrowsburg Division, have graciously agreed to let us stop by for a visit on Sunday, August 17th. This means that we will schmooze at The Nevele on Saturday, and then drive to Wel-Met on Sunday morning!!! So even if you cannot stay with us during the weekend at the hotel, maybe you can at least spend the day at Wel-Met on Sunday. If you choose this option, I am sure that you will later wish you had been with us the whole weekend, but that is something that you will have to live with! To make things even better, I recently spoke to Dick Steinberg and Al Maxman, and they told me that they will absolutely try their best to meet us at Wel-Met on Sunday. JUST IMAGINE HOW GREAT THAT WILL BE!!!! See you all in August. The first round of hugs is on me. I cannot wait!! Love to all, Mike

Name: Mike Alterbaum

Email: mike_alterbaum@msn.com

City: The Woodlands

State: TX

Message: Joan Shikowitz!...She was on my Western trip...anyone know her whereabouts? Because of this FABULOUS site I have connected with a bunch of old friends these past few weeks.A big thank you to Mike who I really didnt know...but I appreciate what youve done for us Wel-Met lovers!

Email: Beachbumsrls@aol

Message: Ah- an amendment to my just sent first message... apparently I was a Narrowsburg boatgirl in 1972 and shared a tent in the woods at the edge of Unit 1 with Joan Shikowitz. I was a babysitter for the last 3 weeks in 1971.

Message: Hello to all Wel-Meters both found and still missing! I went to Wel-Met from the age of 10 1966 Unit 1 until 18 1973 waterfront counselor. In between , 1971 boatgirl Narrowsburg, 1970 Western trip 3, 1969 Silverlake Pioneers, Narrowsburg for all the rest, 1968 Unit V, 1967 Unit 3, 1966 Unit 2, 1965 Unit 1 yes, I skipped unit 4 for some reason along with Diane Kaplan, Barbara Moldawsky, Ilene Wasserman, and Sandy Goldshein.. In 2000 we had a 30 year western trip reunion and it was an amazing experience, I felt like I was that age again and conversations picked up exactly where we had left them. My Wel-Met years formulated who I became and their influence on me was and still is profound. The best times and the best folks. This site proves that the Wel-Met magic is still real. I have so many Wel-Met stories I wouldnt know where to begin. That behind the John and Jane scene in Unit V after lights out is something that sticks out in my mind, especially since my daughter is turning 14 next week! And the wonderful music, from anti war and folk songs to the Beatles, Motown, and later the Dead. Would love to hear from you!

Message: Okay guys - if I can make it to the reunion all the way from California, what is your excuse? By the way, I have a full-time job and three kids - one who will be leaving for college for the first time shortly after the reunion, so again I say if I can make it...I hope you are all coming!

Message: Fantastic thing, this web-site. Thank you Suzy Langer for directing me here! My first reaction is to say hello to everyone who knew me, so Ill go with it, planning to return and post again. In the meantime, HELLO EVERYONE! I went to Narrowsburg for units 1 & 2, then Baryville for Units 3- Pioneers. Never did the western trip, but my bother Paul did. Speaking of Paul, who will be here posting as soon as I call him with the address, he lives in Lackawaxen, on the PA side of the Delaware, across the Robling Bridge. In a sense, he never left! smile OK.. thats it for me for now. Very glad to see that someone took the time to bring Wel- Met back to life. If you want to get in touch email me, please. Love to hear from you.. regards to all! Eddie

Message: Excuse me for this incredible brain-blip. I dont get much sleep. I was also actually in Narrowsburg Pioneers in 69 and Unit 5 in 68. I guess this could be a good sign. They say its when the details from long ago get much sharper than what happened 5 minutes ago, start worrying. I do have great memories of Wel-met though, particularly the time that four of us didnt think wed make it back up the Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon and the rangers came looking for us. Yeah, we had thin bodies, but we apparently werent in the best physical shape. I also remember getting M80s thrown at us in kansas somewhere. That was delightful and added to the incredible comradery we had in our living groups already, griping over chores because we were hungry and tired. All this aside. I loved every minute of all of it, I really really did and only wish I had spent much more time at Wel-Met.

Name: Amy Brenner Mitz

Message: I was at Narrowsburg 3 week program in Unit 5 in l969 and I think I was on Trip 2 in l970. I remain in touch with Stephanie Ozer and Amy Roth. I became a certified cantor in l985 and I am married with twin boys who are 8 years old.

Name: Amy Brenner

Email: hsml836@aol.com

City: Sugar Hill

State: NH

Message: Narrowburg Unit I through IV -- ended up doing 2 years in IV starting in 1964.Silver Lake Pioneers 1969Western Trip 3 in 1970Unit Clerk at Barryville in 1971Some of the best summers ever. I left Brooklyn, NY when I went off to University of Rochester, grad school in Ohio, internship in Minnesota. Ive been living in the Washington, DC area since 1982 -- married since 1984, daughter almost 13, son almost 10, and Ive taught them all the Wel-Met song I go to Wel- Met camp so pity me....... Im a psychologist in private practice and write the PTA newsletters for our elementary school and our middle school.Thanks for this website -- it jogged memories I didnt know I had!!522003

Name: Joyce Wasserstein

Email: tdsjrw@cs.com

City: Bethesda

State: MD

Message: Hey, how about some new pictures? Im tired of looking at how skinny my brother Brett was in l971!

Name: susan finkelsstein

Message: Thank you Chuck for setting the record straight and jogging my foggy memory of that fateful day in the bathroom. That was just one incredible Western Trip from farrow to finish.I would go back and do it all again in a New York Minute. As for Millstein, I too would give my right arm to stand next to him one more time and sing a few show tunes. He was Sancho Panza with Dave Chefec in Man of La Mancha, JB Bigley with Lisa Dorfman as Hedy Larue in How to Succeed, and Tevya in Fiddler. But my all time favorite moment with him was trying to keep a straight face while singing Stand Old Ivy better known as GROUNDHOG! from How to Succeed. He had an unblieveable presence. Thanks for the memory.

City: Safety Harbor

Message: Wel-Met, the best part of my childhood and adolescence, a place where you earned your fun and learned that tongue and raisin sauce was something to throw. I was a camper at Barryville Units 3 and 4 in 1966 and 1967, Narrowsburg, Units 4 and 5, Silverlake Pioneers, 1970, Western Trip 1, 1971, AAA in 72 and Narrowsburg kitchen 73.Many memories having to do with playing music, cookouts and what it felt like to take a walk on a summer evening during smooze. What I would give for a video of Brett in How To Succeed... or Millstein as Tevia. But there is one recollection Id like to clarify, Brandywine,Md.,Trip 1 1971...Stan Werb and Bob Fishman were having a heated argument, it escalated in the Mens room after dinner and when Fishman resisted having his head flushed down the toilet they tumbled out of the stall and crashed into one of the metal shelves that was fastened under the mirrors. That was the cue, when we saw how easily the shelves came down, Greg Zekster, Bob and I took out the rest of the shelves and by the way I was the helpful camper who took out the last shelf. While this was happening Steve Salzman was slicing the shower curtain and Jeff Goldstein was kicking in the toilet stall wall and who else had temporally lost their mind I cant say but it was a very sudden and violent scene.Stan was fired, Greg, Bob and me were packing our bags, they flew in Freddie Noonan... and they let us stay to finish out the trip. By the way, what kind of stop was Portage Wis.anyhow? Has anyone heard from Barry Steinberg?A great big HI and Howdy to all my friends. Hope you are well. Chuck

Name: Chuck Glicksman

Email: trufaux@earthlink.net

City: Westwood

Message: what a wonderful website! i was at narrowsburg unit 2 1965to unit 51968, silver lake pioneers 1969 and then trip three in 1970. they were definitely the best times of my young life. i have too many memories and also lots of photos if people are interested. i loved you all dearly and you remain a warm loving place in my memory. it was fantastic to see some of you in nyc for our 30-year western trip reunion in 2000. definitely time for another reunion. youre all welcome to my house! i lived in washington dc from 1972-1983 i went to gwu, then an island in greece, called ios, from 1983 to 1996. i am back on eastern li now. i have been a painter since 1983 and love my work. the man i lived with for many years passed away in 2000 and i am once again single !. i am younger than howard stern but i remember very clearly jay magazine. he was one of the kitchen boys i hung out with in 1969 at silver lake when i was a pioneer along with kenny, joe, ricky and norman. i have a photo of him somewhere that i will post one of these days. he was a great guy. i hadnt heard that he was lost on 911 and am saddened greatly to learn of it. p.s. i think it would be great if we could add the date that we post these messages so that we can have some chronology -- today is may 1, 2003.

Name: robbi goldberg

Email: robbgold@aol.com

City: east moriches

Message: My brother, Marty told me about this site. Mike, all I can say is Wow, great job! Since my brother worked with you, I remember you and Al. Regretfully, I have not kept in touch with Wel-Metters of my era except for the few I knew outside of Wel-Met. I spent 10 years at Wel-Met, starting in 1967 in Barryville in Unit 1 bunk 4, Unit 1 bunk 11 1968, Unit 2 bunk 31 1969, Unit 3 bunk 51 1970, Narrowsburg Unit 4 bunk 73 1971, back to Barryville for Unit 5 bunk 95 1972, Pioneers 1973 and in 1974, Western Trip V. Worked if you can call it that in Narrowsburg in 1975 as a staff waiter and a dishwasher in 1976. I havent seen many people from my years sign in. My memories Departing Francis Lewis High School in Queens amongst mass confusion, solving the worlds problems at Forum on Saturday mornings, coming back from sleepouts with one eye swollen shut from spider bites, the coldest, best tasting Coca Cola for a dime in glass bottles out of a machine at that gas station in Lackawaxen, football in the corn silo at Jensbys, sharing cheese & tomato sandwiches with millions of red ants at the Meatball Monument, watching Nixon resign in the lobby of some cheesy hotel in Denver, Colorado on the Western Trip. How is gaga is not an Olympic sport? I am married 12 years, have 2 great daughters 8 & 11 and am a director in the financial services area of a reinsurance company. Reading the postings on this site has given me some chills and rekindled some very fond memories of the best summers of my life. Mike and everyone who lent a hand for this site, thanks again.

Name: Dave Baicker

Email: dbaicker@amre.com

City: Hamilton

Message: It amazes me that everyone can remember what unit & what bunk they were in. I only spent 1 summer at Narrowsburg as a counselor- 1972. I was good friends & still am with Laurie Harris in college, and she suggested Judi Urman and I spend the summer there as counselors. I met Emily Saltz that summer and stayed in touch with her until I left Boston for CA in 1979.We have just recently started e- mailing due to this site. I have two memories that stand out from that summer. One is getting yelled at by Barry for setting a bad example for the kids by doing rain dances in front of the bunk, hoping to avoid going on a camp out.The other is from a day when the rain dances did not work, and I was trekking out into the woods with the girls. We came upon a friend of Emilys- Mark cant remember his last name. He was in the middle of nowhere, playing his recorder with a huge pile of burnt matches at his feet. Oh, those were the days!By the way does anyone remember the Donut Farm filled with Cub Scout Masters?

Name: Robin Lehrfeld Hunter

Email: homehunter@cox.net

Message: This may have been discussed in a prior posting, but if not - There is a new Wel-Met. It is actually called Camp Wel-Met, which to my knowledge was never the title used by us hard-cores. At any rate, the name Wel-Met was sold or given to a community center based in the Bronx. I believe it is called Mosholu Community Center, or something to that effect. They are operating Camp Wel-Met on the grounds of a beautiful state park in Cold Spring NY. Out of curiosity, I checked it out early last summer. A bit upscale read:clean for true Wel-Metosity, but definately maintaining the tradition of dragging middle and lower middle class kids up from the metropolitan area for a socially appropriate summer experience. i bet they still pay the counselors 100 for 9 weeks plus 1 of training !

Message: i continue to be amazed by how much one can remember!i think sandy hecht with the long hair is in my photo album from unit 5. other counslors were melanie,sherrie,carolynn,karen and bobby v.do those names ring a bell to anyone?i also remember pioneer counslors artie, robin gelburg howie,malva and pete and mona.i still have a copy of the camp play your a good man charlie brown and wonder what ever happened to the camp nurse cherry?

Name: michelle helfeld hammer

Email: mishot@optonline.net

City: plainview

Message: i still have all my photos from the yellowstone trip in 1959. am interested in anyone else who might have been on the trip with me

Name: ellen haas

Email: muffin6666@aol.com

City: delray beach

Message: Hmmm, if were talking 1969 Pioneers,I seem to remember Narrowsburg winning that game..........By the way, Ira, what are you doing in Beijing?

Message: Wel-met has been closed for so many years. How can it still have such powerful hold on all of us? I went to Narrowsburg, Barryville, Silver Lake and the Western trip from Unit One all the way through to kitchen boy and counselor in Unit 1 - Barryville in 1971. I was a Wel-Met lifer. I would still be there now if I could have figured out a way to pull it off somehow. Some of the names I recognize:Emily Saltz, Pete Bass, Lewie Weinstein, Rita Karasyk you guys were an item back then werent you?, Charlie Hecht, Karen Bernstein. Hal and Debbie Gitelson. I remember you all and many, many more. David Greenberg sent me this website. Weve been friends since Unit 4.I played softball last Saturday and I still suck -- but I will never forget Silver Lake Pioneers beating the heavily favored Narrowsburg pioneers circa 1969 and I will never let Greenberg forget it either. If anyone else remembers that game or me, please write.

Name: Ira Belkin

Email: irabelkin@yahoo.com

City: Beijing

Message: As the winters of our discontent slowly made way for the summers of our elation, we remember. Approaching the twilight of our maturity we turn back, and cast a longing glance to days when to hurt ourselves was just to fall down and scrape our knees, and elation came in the form of a pack of baseball cards, and a single piece of bubble gum. That darkness came all too soon, and one more game, one more round, one more minute was all the more reason to stay. The smells still flood the senses of fresh cut grass, of breakfasts under construction in a kitchen manned by oversexed underpaid adolescents who only later would realize their true reasons for being there. There was forever dangling in a single kiss the words, the hope and the silence of promises made, and tomorrow was always a carbon copy of today, no worries, no awakening to worldy catastrophies and false panacea. The written word was all we had in the aftermath, and it was so exhiliaratingly potent. Promises made and kept, time separated from existence, magic in moments spent beneath a moonlit sky of Augusts aura. Give me my dreams back, give me my memories.

Name: WEL-MET GHOST

Email: stereognosis@aol.com

City: Everywhere

State: All

Message: Eddie Karp!I am glad you finally showed up. Remember me? We used to run into each other quite frequently when I lived on 109 and Riverside 1977-1980during my High School years. I am pretty certain you were my Unit 5 counsler in 1976. Two weeks ago David Nodiff and I went up to Wel Met, and what a rush! With the exception of some rennovations it is incredible how it has not changed at all. I am fairly certain the mattresses are the same ones from 1970! Anyway, it would be great to hear from you. Feel free to use my e- mail address and lets get in touch!Best regards,Richard Bistrong

Name: Richard Bistrong

Email: Bistrong@armorholdings.com

City: Jacksonville

State: FL

Message: Im still having such a good time reading everyones messages. I can relate to so many of them. I never learned to lash very well...even after all those litrines and leantos we had to construct. Even as a counselor...I hated it, but I loved to start those fires with the little kindling wood. Welsch rabbit was the best...remember those potatoes..they never cooked! Im remembering my pioneer camp...where is Eddie Podalsky, Sorin Garber, Joel Grossboyfriend Randi Hochberg....Anyone remember Kenny Wax...worked in Barryville as a counselor in 73..and Al Trugman...so many names from the past. I shared a counselor tent with Laura Kramer in 75 and saw her about a year ago at Frogs house. I remember my western trip Gordy Fish making us eat bugs in our salad! I remember my number on the trip was 16 Stephanie...this girl Stephanie always had to be reminded that she was 17! I remember red ants on the bus and we had to be fumigated or something! I remember hanging out with Judi Berenson, Howie Stern, some kitchen guy named George and having TOO much fun! That was in 1972 when I was a TAC. Im going to make a few calls to tell some old friends about this site. This is the best. And of course I remember Park Bar....how did we ever get home?

Name: Suzanne Suzi Langer Schultz

Email: Beachbumsrls@aol.com

Message: Thanks Eddie Karp for sending me this site! My life at Wel-Met entails only one shortened summer of 1974. I was told about camp by Jane Goldschlager while at 1st year of college, we went together to work and the adventures followed:Eddie and I on the 24 hour hitchike to Tanglewood and back - James Taylor of courseEddie running out of his bunk screaming that Nixon had resignedElliot Schneiders original songs and poetryJanet Kruzik - the reason for my shortened work-termAlan Rappaport across the hall - jokes and snoringMeryl, Bobby, Beth, Jeff Factor - hellos to you!Campers I had the privelege of spending time with especially Charles Malat and Evan?Thank you for the amazing times!

Name: John Kirk

Email: kirkfiddle@aol.com

City: Saratoga Springs

Message: I am sitting here in a near catatonic state - Peach - this is the friggin best. Im practically leaping around the room reading this stuff. My wife is ready to rat tail me with a wet towel !Peach, Breitstein, Cukierman, Brett all Queens boys, Cliff, Lowy - heres the deal for Unit 5 softball. Shortstop was basically split over the summer between Brett and Mark Lowitt, either of whom would benefit the Mets greatly at this time. Cliff was at second solid as a rock. I believe Peach played 3rd that summer as a lefty no less, but he also may have pitched some. I played 1st. Breitstein caught. Steve Saltzman played center - great arm. I think Jeff Goldstein played right. Cant recall others HELP !!! . Of maximum significance - we beat Pioneers TWICE that summer, which was easily our equivalent of US vs. Russia in Olympics !!! I remember them having a really fast and very obnoxious pitcher who was forever in our faces about how they were gonna kick our asses, etc. Max Kleinman gave me my first shave , which was probably two years before any of you had hair ! I later became friends with his sister Lillian at Stony Brook. He was, and I assume still is, a great guy.Regards to Steve Young - give me a shout senor ! Also Pete Bass, who I hung with alot in NYC in late 70s early 80s.PeaceEddieBrett, guitar recollection is semi- accurate - I am a lefty, but played righty still do !.I remain good friends with Chuck Glicksman, Greg Zekster, Bob Fishman and Jon Dunn, who was in Unit 4 Lower Quad when we were there. Jon worked in Narrowsburg in the mid - 70s.I would love to see any and all of you guys - We had a reunion about 10 or so years ago at Judy Sneeds house in Queens. Pretty good turn out. Cladia Basuk, Cara Tannenbaum, Karen Goldman, Alice Chamow, Joann Green, Ellen Weintraub, Dean Weber, Chuck, Greg Lowy - apologies to anyone I left out.Peach - I will gladly help with planning for 816, or any other event.

Message: This is the best. Chuck Glicksman celled me mid-day to alert me to this site. What an idea !!!! I have visited WM pretty much yearly for past 10 years - always a rush ! Could it be that the best times of our lives were 30 years ago ? I have photos to post and will do so over next few days. Adios EK

Message: I can hardly believe it is almost 32 years since the Western trip. Seeing the pictures on the site and the unexpected, wonderful call from Barb Scheinman brought back so many special memories of such special people and great places! Names were mentioned and suddenly Mike, Cliff, Barb, Hilde, Glen, Lori, Richie- all the kids were recalled, as were the places we saw- Mt.Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, St. Louis, D.C.- the fun, our antics! I still have that sixteen year old girl inside of me waiting to see all her friends at the Nevele this August! See you there!

Name: Debra Sepersky

Email: Debra56@aol.com

City: Valley Stream

Message: Please note: I put the wrong e-mail address on my last posting - its beachbumslrs@aol.com!!!

Email: beachbumsrls@aol.com

Message: It is almost one in the morn on a Sun. night and I have been addicted to this site! Mike Siehs told me about this site...we were in Barryville together when I was a TAC and he was a kitchen boy. Now our teenage daughters go to Camp Kinder Ring together...its definetely more like a Wel-Met type camp than others...but nothing can really come that close. I started Wel-Met in Barryville in 1966...that was unit 2..I think I was in bunk 21. I had a counselor named Fran. I remember how she took care of me when a fly flew in my ear. I think the infirmary nurse had to blow it out or something! 1967 I was in Unit 3...my friend Beth Rubin came with me...we both lived in Rockaway, but her Dec. birthday put her in Unit 2. 1968 was Unit 4 and I believe I played the part of Louisa from the Fantasticks. Remember all of those plays...I loved them! 1969 was Unit 5...I had the best counselor named Lisa Bisey who I kept in touch with for many years. I also became best friends with Judi Berenson, but now were only in touch a bit. Of course Barryville Pioneer camp was next in 1970 and then onto the Western trip in 1971...trip 4. So my camper years were ALWAYS Barryville, 66-71. I was a TAC in 1972 with Barbara Schienman i have seen her name throughout this site..hi Barbara! In 1973 I was an office clerk in Barryville with Randi Hochberg and Evelyn Becker. Dick Steinberg was constantly yelling from his office switchboard, you disconnected my call! I loved that job. What a kick I got out of saying Wel-Met Camps...may I help you?. I was a counselor for the next 3 years...in 74 I was pioneer counselor for 3 weeks in Silverlake. Lloyd Garten...waterfront pushed me in the lake, I was fully clothed hiking boots and all, someone saw and he was fired. I then went over to Barryville fot the 6 week session. In 75 I was a unit 5 counseler and in 76 a Pioneer counselor. Ten wonderful years of my life were spent at Wel-Met. For me it was always a little piece of Heaven. If anyone remembers Frog Howie Rosenszweig Barryville camper and Head Kitchen...still very good friends..in fact set him up with his wife! Havent spoken to Richie Cohen in a while, but used to alot. Im still in contact with Barbara Krakower from my Western trip and still very good friends with Beth Rubin. You know...I could go on forever...Heidi Shikowitz...was your sister Joan?...Hi Hildie Ginsberg...and from names I recognize...hi to Eric Rosenberg, Marty and Jack Hammer...and just so many others. I hope to hear from Barryville people from my era! ...Biggest memories and then Ive got to go to bed....15 mile hike from Barryville to Narrowsburg...for what!!...carrying peach baskets to a cookout by that stick that went thru those little metal things...getting in your best clothes for socials abd dancing to Somebody to Love by the Jefferson Airplane and that big walk 18 times a day from Pioneer camp to anywhere! On a sadder note, my brother Cliff Langer was also a big time Wel-Met camper. He was 2 or 3 units ahead of me. He passed away from cancer a few years ago, but he would have loved this site as much as I do. We always shared a great bond of our love for Wel-Met. Our kids and our spouses would get sick of our stories!! But those stories are priceless...Ill never forget them.

Email: Beachbum@aol.com

Message: Fantastic photos. Thats me on the bus and in the tent and with Donna Mayer, Debbie Leavitt and I think Patty Pomerantz. My western trip was a wonderful time. I loved those friends and the experiences. I remember sleeping in the cow field of a KKK member when our bus broke down and our trip director Irwin needed to put us someplace for the night. Thanks to whoever posted the photos. I loved seeing them.

Name: Leslie Rosen Fastenberg

Email: LFasten@aol.com

City: Old Westbury

Message: I was a counselor in 74 & 75 in Narrowsburg in Units 1 and 5. Camp was one of the best experiences I had.

Name: Sandy Hecht

Email: shechtny@earthlink.net

Message: I was, like many visiting this site, a wel-met lifer. Ok, top this: I even married a fellow wel-metter, Madelyn Steinhauer. Each of us were there forever - I went 1 year 3 weeks at Silverlake, then Narrowsburg units 1 - 5, then Pioneers, then Western Trip, then, after a year off, back to Wel-Met for one year as a counselor.We were trying to figure out what years those were. Ended in the late 60s, Im guessing.Yes, it was, and remains, one of the great things I will have had in this life. And I even got a wife out of the deal although I doubt thats what my parents had in mind....

Name: Henry Hank Collins

Email: madnco@aol.com

City: Averill Park

Message: Wow, what a rush! Thank you for a site which has nothing but fond memories. I was in Narrowsburg Units, 2,3,4, TICE in Unit 1, and 2 Western Trips in the same summer because I had my appendix out in South Dakota. Now that was a Wel- Met experience!! Sandy Hecht, with hair down to her toes has remained a life long friend, and my thanks to Linus now grown into Steve for making me look at this. I wonder whatever happened to Gary Ruff, Harvey and Meryl, Laurie Tarter, Howie, and The Sappol brothers, just to name a few.

Name: Edie Pete Lutnick

Email: ELutnick@aol.com

Message: Thank you Emily Saltz for letting me know about this website. I saw some familiar names in the guestbook - Louie Weinstein, Leslie Achitoff, Howie Stern. Laurie Harris ...wheres everyone else from our years? Narrowsburg, 1961 - 1969 Western trip. Heres a stream of my memories: Peter Pan in Unit 1, disgusting showers, making out behind the Jane and John- particularly in unit 3 and 4, make-out contests remember Louie W?, how does it feel?, pajama game, sleep outs, search for H-o-w-eeeee, lean tos, latrines, building new pioneers, climbing up the hill to old pioneers, walking across that stage in NY, crying our eyes out because Brooklyn and Queens seemed so far away from Long Island. My Wel-Met years were some of my best, my memories so vivid. Emily, Pete Bass and I visited probably 15-16 years ago and those brown buildings provoked such memories! Thank you for creating this website. Cant wait to hear from all my old friends! All boats in.

Name: Meri Weingarten

Email: meri.bw@verizon.net

City: Santa Monica

Message: Thanks so much for this wonderful site!!!!!!!!!The photos are priceles!!! Does anyone know what happened to greg zekster,bob fishman, chuck glicksman and steven salzman?Hi leslie mostel! Ive often thought about you and hope you are happy and well!! Ihave a son named Brett who I sort of named after Brett Finklestein!!!Does anyone know how to get in touch with Alice Chamow,Claudia Basuk or Cara annenbaum? would love to reconnect with them!!Mike A, thanks for including me in this awesome site ! Hope to hear from people soon as I truely think about those wonderful wel-met years often!!!Hello Everyone!! Remember the trip to Lake George with STAN AND jONO AFTER THE WESTERN TRIP?

Name: wendy wittner

Email: wenwit2@aol.com

City: worcester

State: ma

Message: I was a clerk at Narrowsburg in 1977 I shared a tent with Noami Grossman that summer. I went on the 1st Western Trip in 1976. I started going to camp in the summer of 1970 Unit 1 and continued every summer till it closed. Always at Narrowsburg - where my parents met see post from Addie Rudin.Im living in Gainesville, FL and have two children - my son started going to Camp Ramah Darom in GA which he loves! Going to camp must be in our blood!

Name: Alicia Rudin

Email: arudin@mac.com

City: GAINESVILLE

Message: OK, everyone who has posted on this website has to promise to show up for this reunion, if only to protect me from my brother Brett and his partner in crime Mike Alterbaumss enthusiasm, which I know, from my childhood bruises, will only mean trouble! I am already collecting peach baskets and broomsticks to steal food from the Nevele to pretend is a Wel-Met cook-out! Really, I hope the enthusiasm Ive experienced on this site will translate to a big turnout. If any of our West Coast crew needs any help with transport or coordination, I would be glad to help. Now to dig out a picture that on any level still resembles me...

Message: Hi youngsters,I was a camper when there was only one Wel- Met Narrowsburg. The Girls camp was what was later Unit 1, the Boys, Unit 2. That was in the late 40s early 50s.I stopped going to camp when I entered high school. I returned in 1957 as a counselor in Narrowsburg, Unit 1, where I met my husband Marcel Rudin. We married in 1960, had two children Alicia and Howard. Both were campers, Howard until 1977 when camp closed. Carol Potashnick did babysit for us. We lived in a co-op in Jackson Heights and knew Lisa and Paul Mendelowitz, Beth & Joel Weitzman and of course Judy Potashnickwho babysat when Carol was too busy.Marcel and I have been married 43 years and have four grandchildren. Well pass along the site to our offspring.Regards to Lou Levitt.

Name: Addie Jacobus Rudin

Email: addie@nyc.rr.com

City: Bayside

Message: Will the hotel allow us to have a staff steak roast?

Name: Scott Cohen

Email: sbcohen426@aol

City: brooklyn

Message: Another fun memory from the old letters from camp - while in Pioneers, Mona Woller, Elyse Weber and I would sneak into Unit 5 at shmooze to take showers - strictly forbidden! Pioneers cannot use any other units facilities! Pioneers must cook out at least once every day! Usually that was lunch which meant cheese and tomato sandwiches. Cant wait to see those Unit 5 showers this summer.

Message: I love Bretts idea!! Count me in for the big reunion!p.s. Does the Nevele have Ga-Ga?? a must

Name: Cliff Schorr

Email: clschorr@aol.com

City: Cheshire

State: CT.

Message: OK-EVERYBODY get a period picture of yourself from the time you were at camp and get it emblazoned on a T-Shirt with the Wel-Met LOgo on the upper left hand corner and SHOW UP AT THE REUNION!There will be no exceptions! Good Job Mike and Laurie!

City: safety harbor

Message: I am so thrilled to announce that we have finalized the plans for, what I know will be, an absolutely incredible, one-of-a-kind, WEL-MET FAMILY REUNION! It will take place during the weekend of August 16th in upstate New York at the Nevele Hotel. Laurie Kline has done a tremendous job putting it all together for us. Everyone who has posted on the website will soon receive an email that contains all the details. Posting messages and pictures has been terrific, but it is just not enough. We need more. MUCH MORE!! Imagine what it would be like to look straight into the eyes of your friends from 40 years ago, throw your arms around them, and give them a big hug!! If you decide to join us, you can do this for an entire weekend! This will be an amazing event that no Wel-Metter can miss, and I hope that everyone will attend. But here are some words of warning: If you do not enjoy being hugged, you better stay away from me. I AM IN THIS FOR THE HUGS!! Please, please come so we can all share those magical Wel-Met memories. See you in August. Love, Mike

Name: Mike Alterbaum

Email: mike_alterbaum@msn.com

City: The Woodlands

State: TX

Message: So a couple of years ago during early July, my sister and I were up in the Monticello area visiting. We managed to escape and took the car and of course headed towards town. On a lark we figured we were so close, could we find the camp. We recognized the road towards Narrowsburg immediately and headed off at a tear. We bungled our way through a couple of turns and even though we were so close we couldnt quite navigate those final turns. We wandered into Eldred and stopped at a restaurant-gift store and asked if anyone knew where The Wel-Met Camps were. One woman said you guys are two miles away, gave us directions and we pulled in. Camp Steinberg in full swing. Now my sister and I being hard core New Yorkers were not gonna allow a little thing like Camp in Session to deter us in our quest for the Holy Grail!. We parked at the Ball Field and very purposefully got out of the car and just started walking down the road. No one quite knew what to do about us so they just let us go. Unbeknownst to both of us, they thought I was being escorted somewhere as men were not permitted alone on Camp Grounds! We made it to the Lake, back through Unit 3 and 4 and somehow got to the road heading up toward Pioneers when the Jig was up! Busted. They did ask us to leave, but not before we had the opportunity of talking to many of the longsleeved long skirted Campers. Orthodox women cannot go uncovered even in WEL_MET! They only wanted to know if Boys actually lived in their bunks and wrote the things that somehow survived desperate attempts to be covered and whitewashed away, still clinging to those rafters in Sharpie colors from days of yore when Al Maxman roared through Camp on his scooter and The Maintenance Trucks were vintage pickups that I would give my right arm to own today!

City: safety harboR

Message: The first boy I ever went steady with was Joel Rosen in Unit 4, Barryville, 3 weeks. I have no idea what year that was, but I think you let me wear your ID bracelet. You were really cute, so I was probably one of many, but oh was I thrilled!!

Name: Jeannie Ferris Siegel

Email: jeanne.siegel@bankofamerica.com

Message: This is cool - now I know Ilene Brechers e-mail address and Alan Grodins too. Happy Birthday, Ilene - a tad late, I know. I will get in touch properly, soon.And, now Im in touch with Emily Saltz and I hope to see her when we go to Boston later this week. And, Alan, right after Boston, we will be in Atlanta, looking at Georgia Tech where our son may go to school next year. So, I will e-mail you, too, and maybe we can hook up.Regarding my brother, Jerry Harris, another Wel-Metian, or should that be Meshun, Jerry lives in SugarLand, a Houston suburb. He is well. He married another Wel-Meshun, Susan Dlugoff. He is a taxestate attorney and has two sons at UT, Austin. Hook em horns! Ill let him know you asked about him.Robin Lehrfeld now Hunter should be chiming in soon. I just sent her the link.Solidarity forever,Laurie

Name: Laurie Harris

Email: netlaur@aol.com

City: Concord

Message: Hello fellow campers, Joel Rosen here, Silverlake 1965, Barrysville till pioneers, Western Trip 5 1973, Boat Boy, Water Front. My old friend Mike Siehs told me about this site thank you Mike it was good to hear from you. To all who have put this site together thank you. I still speak to many of my camp friends on a regular basis, Howie Schecter, Helen Gitelson, Caryn Gutterman and keep up to date on a few others, Carl, Janie and Judy we all have had some reunions with our families. I was just at Disney with Howie and our families. It is impossible to explain Wel- Met to anyone who did not experience it, so it was a great to read so many of your writings. Lets keep this site going. ?

Name: Joel Rosen

Email: jrosen302@cox.net

City: Phoenix

State: AZ

Message: Late, but sincere: Happy belated birthday to Mike Alterbaum!I sent him Jensbys corn for his birthday

Message: Finally, someone from my era has signed in. Thanks Al Turin for bringing a few more names back to my conscious. Where are all my trip mates from trip 6 in 70, Judy Abrams, Carey Wagner, Karen Lerner, Martha Ellis, Dave Klafter, Steve Leighton, etc.... Sign in and make yourself heard!

Name: Nancy Gaines Shapiro

Email: NancyShap29@aol.com

Message: This site gives me flashbacks... I read all these names and memories, and my mind sees Christmas in July, in a Jewish camp, no less, sleeping in campsite bathrooms in God knows where on some rainy Western Trip night, doing Promises, Promises as a Unit Fiver, and making out with one of the counselors who was directing it, realizing as an adult that knowing the music of Phil Ochs as an eleven year old was something pretty remarkable... Any Western Trip 1 1972 people, we are trying to get a mini-reunion together for this spring... contact me if youre up for it.

Message: That is right Michael, good memory. I guess I missed my opportunity.

Name: Alan Grodin

Email: grodin@mindspring.com

City: Atlanta

State: GA

Message: Alan Grodin--you were among the kitchen boys I used to nag and you were friends with my sister, Shelley. I remember another kitchen boy named Sammy, i think. I was threatened with several dunkings in to the swill by you guys.

Name: Michael Stahl

Email: mjstahl@yahoo.com

City: Montclair

State: nj

Message: Its so funny some of the things we remember. My daughter has a thing for Puma sneakers, and I told her about a guy I knew from campsilverlake pioneers 71 that liked pumas so much he even had a pair of dress pumas. Warren, you still wearing pumas?

Name: Jane Levy

Email: JIC41@aol.com

City: HIcksville

Message: I am blown away.I got an email from Brett Finkelstein yesterday and I havent stopped smiling. Mike, thank you for doing this for all of us, and Brett and Greg thank you for finding me.Id love to know when there is going to be a reunion.If memory serves me correctly my first year was as a sixth grader in Narrowsburg in 1969. I stayed at Wel- Met until I went on the 1971 trip cross country where Stan got canned.

Name: Leslie -Lee-Mostel

Email: lsmostel@optonline.net

City: Stamford

State: CT

Message: Well, some of you have been wondering what has taken me so long to post my message, wonder no longer. I was a Barryville 3 week unit 1 camper starting in 1959 went through pioneers and then the western trip either in 64 or 65 minor memory loss. I have great pictures. Our western trip counselors were so hippie looking you would have thought the pictures were taken in 1968. My best memories of course is from the one year I was a counselor 1971 Narrowsburg unit 4. More than 30 years later and I can still say best friends were made that summer. I also live in this very small town in NJ and I know of three others with Wel-Met connections. We all seem to still try and find each other.Well thats it for now. Gotta get to work

Name: ilene brecher

Email: ilen@optonline.net

City: highland park

Message: I would love to hear from two great guys that I played guitar with when I was Unit 5 Clerk in 1972 or 73...Mark Hirsch and Gerry Rothschild. Anybody hear from them?

Message: It is really wonderful reconnecting with old friends. I was in Narrowsburg through the 60s and early 70s, units I thru V and pioneers in Silver Lake. Then onto Western Trip camper, coulselor, and director. I cant leave out my experience in the kitchen being chased by racoons on the swill deck I feel that I truly grew up in Wel Met, and my experiences there has had an incredible influence on my adult life.My regards to Laurie Langer , and Laurie Harris where is your brother?Shelly,Marilyn,Jono, Mark Rothsein,and hello to you Alan

Name: Alan Grodin

Email: grodin@mindspring.com

City: Alanta

State: GA

Message: WOW!!!!! This is somewhat overwhelming - but very cool! Shout out to Kenny Jurist for turning me on to this site. As soon as I get done with the lashing on my lean-to, Ill make a proper post. Until then, Ive gotta get in touch with Emily Saltz, because Im going to be in Boston in a few weeks. Laurie

Name: Laurie Harris

Email: netlaur@aol.com

City: Concord

Message: This is like shmooze time, revisited. Many thanks for creating this site. I spent 8 summers at Wel-Met, Narrowsburg, beginning with Unit 1, Bunk 1 in 1964 -- I spent much time that summer in the Homesick Clinic -- Unit 1 again in 65 and 66, Unit 2 in 67, Unit 3 in 68, Unit 4 in 69, Pioneers in 70 and Western Trip 4 in 71. My sisters Phyllis and Diane also spent many summers in camp, and I think I recognize the long-lost hiking boot of Phyllis in a note below. Reading these postings makes me picture Wel-Met so clearly: I feel like I could give a tour of the place, blindfolded. Again, many thanks.

Name: Sandee Brawarsky

Email: seb17@aol.com

Message: Seems like we have enough people on this website to have a social! I was in Narrowsberg in the 60s...greetings to Shelly, Marilyn, Jono, Jay...and of course Alan. The question is- where is Jesse Miller? Wel-Met still provides some of my favorite memories and of course, several lifetime buddies. Since, nobody in my family seems to understand my absolute enthusiasm about this camp, please keep in touch! -Laurie

Name: Laurie Langer

Email: langer292@hotmail.com

City: Larkspur

Message: I just found a box of old letters that Id written home from camp through all the years Unit II through staff. Boy, are they funny! Every letter ended with a request to either send stamps, send food or especially when I was staff send money. The food requests were the best, especially the ones that started about three days into camp, outlining all the requests for stuff to bring up on Visiting Day and being updated with more specific foods with each subsequent letter. Im still laughing.

Message: Mike-hello and to you too Alan-my old boss! and thanks for setting up great the website. Dave, Todd, Chuck- the rumor is true. I am alive and well and living in the northwest Bronx. Hello to Beth ., Grubby, Roberta , Julie,Sue,Larry ,Kuris,Adele, Lori. Hello to Barbara and Helen from my kitchen boyAAA days at Narrowsburg. I run a small hospital in northern NJ so I can practice some good old wel-met social welfare every once in a while.I look at my knuckles and still see the scars from ga-ga in the Pavillion at Barryville. Bunk 74,Unit 4 Barryville, summer of 69-Terry and Jerry were our counselors- one of the great Wel-Met bunks of all time!- Dave, Grubby, etc.Hope you are all well.

Name: Marty Baicker

Email: MHMCMWB@aol.com

City: Bronx

Message: Greetings to all my colleagues and friends. Its great to see so many familiar names and activities. I was at NarrowsburgUnits II, IV, V, and Pioneers from 1965 to 1969, Teen Leadership Trip in 1970, and Western Trip 6 in 1971. In 1973 I was a Unit IV counselor. 1974AA in Silver Lake and Narrowsburg in 1975. Long lost hellos to Claudia Schlam, Nancy Gaines, Eric Rofes, and Judy Abrams from my camper days. And to Jerry and Alan Grodin, Ilene Pappert and Ricki Pappo from my staff days. Among the things I remember was Hounds and Hares and the School Camping Program. Im now alive and well and living in Virginia with my wife and two children. Still wear my boat hook on special occasions.

Name: Alan Brick-Turin

Email: aturin@hntb.com

City: Annandale

State: VA

Message: Reading the recent entries reminds me of one of the great Wel-Met mysteries: Who poured the maple syrup into the gas tank of David Kleinmans motorcycle?I think I know...do you? Anyone want to fess up?...the statute of limitations has expired!

Name: Woody Belkin

Email: sbelkin@bbwg.com

City: NY

Message: Here I am, a midwesterner for more years than I care to count,and my Wel-Met experience is still such a part of me. I started at Barryville in 1955 or 6 and after that went to Narrowsburg, including Pioneers, and then on the Yellowstone trip in 1959 I think, where I have wonderful memories of being the objects of curiosity as we folk sang our way around the country. I was a Unit clerk in 1961 and a counselor at Narrowsburg for 10 yr. olds in 1962. Then, I discovered travel.People in the midwest dont understand about camp, maybe you had to to live in NYC to understand the wonder of it. In any case, memories of the counselor reading OHenry stories to us when I was 12, never really learning to swim- the idea being to have a good time in the water, clearing a site including chopping down a tree for camp-outs, massive stomach problems the last day thanks to the kitchen staff, onegs, and so much more.

Name: Margaret Horowitz Mallett

Email: marg7944@yahoo.com

City: Evanston

State: Il

Message: Mike Siehs gave me a heads up on this site, Thanks, Mike. Whenever I talk about Wel Met, I always say that if it werent for the camp, I would still be a virgin. I think you have had to go there to truly understand. Anyway, I just have a couple of people to make comments toan Fradkin: believe it or not, I am actually living in Plainview now. How are you doing?Mark Rothstein: do you remember that we went to PS 165 together? Steve Young: I remember you before you were a quarterback. You were a great western trip leader and a good friend. It is great to read all the memories.

Name: Warren Feuer

Email: wfeuer@nybot.com

Message: Like many of you, Ive been going back to this site on aregular basis to see who else has checked in and to readwhat wonderful memories others have of Wel-Met. What hasstruck me more than anything is just how much we all have incommon as adults. So, its true the experiences we had atCamp contributed to the compassionate human beings we aretoday. Were we privileged or what?? We learned respect andaffection for our elders by hanging with the seniors wepracticed sharing the work load with one spin of the wheelwe learned compromise every week as we negotiated duringprogram planning and we came to respect the ritual of peacethrough Oneg Shabbats and campfires during which we sang WeShall Overcome? Many of us were proud that we went to acamp where our counselors were interested in human rightsand social equity and the kitchen boys! There was an airof esteem we carried with us when we returned home afterall our home friends were at posh camps more focused onritzy activities. We spent our time weaving the fabric offuture lives as contributors to society. Mike gave us this incredible gift and Ive got some ideasabout what to do with it. Id like to ask others of you tojoin me in forming a not-for-profit foundation, Wel-MetCamps Foundation for Life. Thats what it was for me. There are so many things that we can do, collectively, inthe name of our years at Camp. It doesnt matter if we wereat Silver Lake, Barryville, or Narrowsburg if we werecampers or staff if we were from the fifties, sixties, orseventies we are community and we have power and influenceto exert for the good of our legacy. I have so manydifferent ideas we could certainly underwrite the expensesof our website, purchase the Narrowsburg property as atestament to our rich cultural experiences, providescholarships for children who cannot afford to leave thecity, set up an endowed chair at one of the City Collegesthat fed us our incredible counselors, help children withouthealth insurance. The ideas are limited only by our desire. I invite you to consider joining me in this endeavor. Sendme mail and let me know of your interest to help in someway. Ill do whatever I can to make this happen.And by the way, To Debbie, Donna, David, Howie, Karen,Mindy, Barbara, Niki, Bob, Bucky Jones, and Barry Williams your friendships during those summers remain embedded in myheart and I am forever proud to have shared those friendships.

Name: Eve M. Ruff

Email: emruff@attbi.com

City: seattle

State: wa

Message: Jack Hammer.... I cant believe its you. Hope you remember me - it was a hazy time in my life Wink. Cant remember if we hung out together at Bill Dropkins apartment or yours - you had a water bed? LOL!

Message: I worked in Barryville Pioneers in 1971 and on Western trip in 1972. Would love to hear from fellow counselors and campers. It was a great time in my life, one to remember fondly.

Name: Barry Rothfeld

Email: barry1230@aol.com

Message: 1961 - Silverlake, 62-63 - Barrysville, 64-67 - Narrowsburg, 68 - Western Trip, 69 - Kitchen-boy, 70 - Counselor unit IV Narrowsburg. The memories and skills I learned at WelMet I still have and use to this day. WelMet fostered self-reliance and cultural acceptance which is something sorely needed these days. While Ive had many great moments since camp, camp days will be cherished forever. I wish there was a place like WelMet for me to send my kids while they were growing up. To all those that I spent my summers with, at WelMet, I send my thoughts and love, hopeing all is well and wishing everyone peace.

Name: Jack Hammer

Email: jhammer@intellidynellc.com

City: Wantagh

Message: Narrowsburg, Unit 1, Bunk 6 I believe was my beginning in 1967. Then on through Units 2, 3, 5 and Pioneers... Western Trip in 1973 - which I still talk about today. Worked in The Kitchen in 1974 running the Cook-Out Shack. Rocky Mountain Toast is still in my repertoire, but Ive found it just doesnt taste the same without the pine needles and dirt in the pan. Some of my fellow campers and bunkmates found one another again when I attended SUNY Albany...Steve Fried out there anywhere? A fond howdy to Ken Sapon ... of Sapon-to-me fame, and of course - Score Me!! ... and to Spider, as well as Craig Miller, Dave Rifkin, Hal Landsburg, Wendy Roseman, Jeff Light, the Myones twins, Steve Garfinkel, and a whole raft of others whose names are forgotten right now... Memories of the lake, canoes and even the little sailboats, of sleeping out in the woods, staring at the stars, laying on tarps, trying to cook baked potatoes on a wood fire, coming out of the lake with brown algae on you, hikes to Yulan and Eldrid, onion rolls on Saturday mornings, and hot dogs for lunch on Wednesday, Capture the Flag, the incredibly rainy summer of 69, running from bunk to bunk to arrange softball and volleyball games on planning day, or whatever it was called. How the thought of Hospital Corners still flashes through my mind whenever Im putting sheets on a bed. The Work Wheel. Ajax used as a trail marker for some game I cant remember. And of course, the unofficial camp song, I GO TO WEL MET CAMPS, OH PITY ME. The real pity, as we all now know... is that we no longer get to go there every summer for 6 weeks at a clip. But we do have the memories. At least for now! I would love to hear from any old friends...

Name: Bruce Freundlich

Email: noho91607@yahoo.com

City: North Hollywood

Message: my sister,Michelle told me about this site and it was a blast to read and remember names from those summers from 1970 - 1976 at wel-met and teen tour. hi to Linda Ross, Donna Badone, Todd Grossman, SteveLinus and anyone else who may remember me. Has anyone heard from or about Carey from Astoriacant remember his last name, Andylast name?

Name: karen helfeld

Email: karensuzieq@aol.com

City: west hartford

Message: 3 Years ago while on a Business Trip to Binghamton NY, I took a small detour Over 2 Hours and went up to Camp at Barryville. All the buildings are gone except the Pavilion. We could all meet for a game of dodge ball. You can now own your own piece of Barryville starting at 50K for a lot with lake rights and 200k for lots on the lake. I went searching for the lake and I got a little lost because Sunny road is missing, only shadey roads exists. I finally made it to the lake and it was as beautiful as I remembered it. The docks and the stone house were missing. I needed a Buddy Call.

Message: No sooner did I finish typing - I realized that I typed Leavitt as in Amy instead of Levin as in Lori - Julie Salmon, you were part of this group, too.....it was fun scrolling down and reading soem of the e-mails - hope to hear more -

Name: KAren Siehs Stein

Email: KAS729@aol.com

Message: I was a counselor in Barryville from 1969 thru 1972 when I was a counselor on a Western trip with Irwin and Dayle - the year she was pregnant with their son - Barry Rothfeld was another counselor on that trip. My husband - who I met at camp - is Mitch Stein, who worked at Barryville from 1968 -1972. His Western Trip was in 1971 Steve Freeman was another counselor on that trip. In 72 he was a PA in Unit 2. I started as a counselor in Unit 1 with Reba and then did a boys bunk with Marty - then, Unit 5 with Bonnie Hocking and Mary Cross, Pioneerswith Fran and Bonnie in a tent and then a Western Trip - Beth Goldberg, Lori Leavitt - you guys were the campers! We loved being at camp and still have many friends from there - it holds a special place in our collective history. Tahnk you Mike for doing this.

Name: Karen Siehs Stein

Email: KAS729@aol.com

City: Yorktown Heights

Message: hey, how about yulan,the lackawaxen bridge, meatball monument, and Barryville? Imagine taking the wrong turn on your way to Hancock New York and seeing the Welcome to Pennsylvania sign. Imagine a gas station attendant telling you you can drive back over twenty miles or you can take route 97 all the way. Its just beginning to get dark,and the snow storm you wish wasnt happening has begun and you are denying is clouding up your windsheild. what would you do? Are you kidding? I was thrilled just to see a sign that said Barryville, so I took my life in my hands dug in behind the steering wheel and asked the wel-met gods to watch over my trip.Imagine as you travel route 97 towards Hancock that you have the definate memory of being on this scenic route which for a few minutes can seem like the mountain decent to Sedona Arizona. YOu suddenly realize that this in fact was the scenic trip taken home from your six week stay at Barryville. Imagine that you are miserable, you have just cried yourself empty because you had to say goodbye to your best friends ih the whole world and wait a whole year to be with them again at camp. And while your mother and father enjoy the scenery, you barely notice or care until thirty or so years later, you stumble onto this same scenic route and remember it all,completely , even in the growing dark? Well, this was what happened to me last Sunday.. . . . What happened to Barryville? Has anyone been there? who owns it? The last time I heard anything at all it was supposed to be turned into a development aroung the lake. Dont get me wrong, i love Narrowsburg and I have been back at least to the gates because i have a friend who has a house in White Lake. . . . . How about a pilgrimage to Barryville? IF anyone has any information, please fill me in...... Barryville still exists. . . . .

Name: BETH GOLDBERG

Email: Bgold57@aol.com

City: gloucester

Message: I started in Barryville 1968 Unit 3 bunk 52, I cant believe that I remember that. My friend Joel Rosen was in bunk 51 and he had been to Wel-Met before, so everything was going to be cool. I spent the next 7 summers there, Western Trip in 72 Trip 3?, Kitchen Boy from 73 75. When I was a Pioneer, I remember befriending younger campers so that I could get a hot shower in their bunks. I remember Rich Hier Sp? my Western Trip director drawing Groucho Marx mustaches on anyone sleeping on the bus. This site is great thanks for setting it up. Id love to hear from my old friends.

Name: Michael Siehs

Message: I went to Wel-Met Narrowsburg for 2 summers - 76 & 77 I think, in unit 5 & pioneers. I still keep in touch with someone I met there my first year -Michelle Helfeld Hammer & she told me about the website. It brought back a lot of memories, not so much about the facilities, but about the people. Every once in a while, almost 30 years later Ill still wonder what happened to some of the people I met there, maybe, thanks to this website, Ill find out.

Name: Anne Geller

Email: vick_ler@hotmail.com

City: San Diego

Message: I can admit to feeling shivers as I read with glee all the memories recorded here. Great job to those maintaining this site! Thank you!!!Lets see....started out for a 3-week stint in Barryville in Unit 1 in 1966 or was it 67, and most of the names here that are memorable easily date back to six week stints starting in Unit 2 in 67. If memory serves me right and I know a few of you will set me straight!, the Western Trip was in 72 along with a Silver Lake pantry assignment, followed by Waterfront in 73. Ive got this incredible B&W snapshot of all the counselors dressed in Togas except Mark Minick was in a diaper! from 1970. Anyone remember our production of Tommy?Hello to: Larry, Beth, Amy, Lori, Dave, Dick, Lou and many more that I think I remember! My Wel-Met years, without a doubt, is where I learned about life, friendship, etc...well...just about everything that matters to me now when I look back upon it. Ive been living in NJ now for 23 years, and have two great kids 14 yr old girl and 16 yr old boy thatve been going to Camp Cayuga now for many summers. While it was nothing like Wel-Met, I did have fun going back to camp through them. How strange to be a PARENT on visiting day! And....Honesdale is soooo close to home!If any of you are interested in chatting more, or in a recap or contacting my brother or sister Jack and Cookie - Narrowsburgers to the core....just give me a note via email...I look forward to it!WEL-MET FOREVER!!!

Name: Marty Hammer

Email: mhammer2@comcast.net

City: Kendall Park

Message: I spent the best summers of my life at WEL-MET and met my wife there too. Camper: Narrowsburg 1950-1954, 1956 and Barryville 1955. Staff: Narrowsburg 1957 - Unit Clerk for Al Levine 1958 - Staff Waiter 1959 - Cookout Boy.Met my wife Barbara Ann Forsyth 1957 TAC.I used to be a rocket scientist literally working on the Apollo project, but have been working with computers for over 30 years. Barbara is a speech therapist for L.A.U.S.D.A few memories:1. Jack Goldberg - the director in the early 1950s singing the Friday night prayers.2. Segregation by sexes: All girls bunks in what eventually became Unit 1 and all boys bunks in what eventually became Unit 2.3. Birch bark postcards - before I understood how bad that was for the tree.4. Breaking my wrist sliding into 3rd base after trying to go from 1st to 3rd on a single to left field. Worst of it was, I was tagged out.Kitchen memories5. Crazy Charlie spilling a swill barrel full of 300 campers worth of franks and beans.6. Albie Bliss knocking over a dolly with 300 plates.7. Riding the staff bus into the town of Narrowsburg almost every night listening to the dishwashers - Gus, Moose, Dave - singing One Summer Night even better than the Danleers ever did.8. On the break between the 6 week session and the 3 week session, the kitchen staff removed all the tables and chairs from the dining hall to give the floor a thorough cleaning. It was hard work, and I was initially happy that Johnny Giardina - the Assistant Steward under Jean Comby -singled me out for a special assignment. Unfortunately that assignment was to scrape every piece of chewing gum off the floor with a knife.Courting memories9. Walking that road between Narrowsburg and Silver Lake when Barbara was a waitress in Silver Lake in 1958.10. Barbara and I hitch-hiking on our days off to Pennsylvania, Liberty, and Monticello - boy, were we young and innocent.

Name: Michael Haas

Email: michael.haas@treasury.sungard.com

City: West Hills

Message: Hi Everyone! As you have heard before, the Wel-Met site is terrific! Ive enjoyed reading posts by Eve Ruff, Debbie Nodiff, Julie Light, Cindy Kaplan, Robert Cohn, etc., all of whom I remember well. Heck, Ive enjoyed reading posts by people Ive never met! My Western pictures are intact, and I even labeled the backs of most photos with the names of the people in the picture. I cannot believe I had the foresight to do that back when I went on the trip. I was on Western Trip 1970, I believe the first one that summer, and a camper at Narrowsburg for years before that, a Kitchen boy for one or two summers after. Ive lived in New Orleans since before graduating college, moved in with a wonderful woman from Texas and her 8 year old daughter. The daughter is grown with her own 1 year old son, so Im a grandfather at 47!! I also adopted a newborn boy 10 years ago, so Im been very lucky in love. Ive been in the music & video biz for a decade, even made some money off of Howard Sterns TV show, but thats another story. I never knew Howard went to Wel-Met until my sister suggested this web site.

Name: David Eidler

Email: sctintl@bellsouth.net

City: New Orleans

State: LA

Message: MemoriesAs I read the posts and E-mail other wel-meters the memories come flooding back. My first memory of Cropsie Maniac was in Unit 2, we woke to find a canoe in our bunk and our front door up a tree with cropsies name written on the tree. At a campfire in the woods they told us the story. Followed by some one running and yelling into the site with a hatchet. We all fell of the log in fear. I remember the socials, the puppy love crushes- mine was Eve schindler- any one hear about her?, the secret co-ed sleepovers, the raids, not knowing what to do once you got into the girls bunks, being a younger unit guy and always loosing in softball to you older guys -Cliff- Mike and Danny, the saturday morning discussions and skits, Sadie hawkins day, dizzy izzy, greased water melon and swimming in clothes in the relays. Catching frogs, snakes and solimanders at the lake and on hikes. We learned to lash, to make our lean- to, and bathrooms in the woods, a bat living over my bed, gorrilla balls, powdered eggs,bug juice and my favorite onion rolls, waiting in august for the mess hall to open for breakfast with smoke coming out of our mouths, by noon it was 90 Out west - not getting served in a diner because we looked like hippies, eating a second breakfast for a buck at every small town across america, catching up to the broken bus of trip 2. Seeing the dog run of with the head of the chicken on the farm,and the corn fight in the silo. going down the grand canyon and coming back up to an all you can eat breakfast and boy did we eat. In pioneers it was meeting Officer Opie and seeing Alices resteraunt in stockbridge. remember cleaning the out house with lime- yeach. I can write on for ever they were great times

Name: Richard Shapiro

Email: Rchshp@aol.com

City: Livingston

Message: Rather than sending out individual emails, here are some answers to some individual questions. To Roberta Grubman- last I knew, Eddie Karp was in Mt. Kisco NY. I looked him up in the phone book earlier but he wasnt listed. To Emily Saltz, whose birthday I believe is Nov. 16, hows that for 35 years later!, Joan Michaels was a teacher in the Bedford School District in NY and still may be. I just dont know if shes using the same last name. Ill make some calls and see if I can track her down. To Leslie Atchitoff - You were in Pioneers in 1968 and a Western Trip in 1969. To Frank Badome - Yes you were on Trip 3 in 1969, so was I. To Lew Weinstein - Got your email. Great hearing from you! Glad to see so many other familiar names and Im looking forward to seeing more.

Name: Alan Alterbaum

Email: alterbma@computer.net

City: Yorktown Hts.

Message: Hey there, Lenny and Stu! Good to see others from Trip 4 in 76 signed in. Fran, i have a pic of you and Dave F. in front of the post office in Nipton......9 miles over the border into CA. And thanks, Lenny! Robin, Fran and I have been reconstructing a list of our trip and i dont believe that Jay B. was on it. In fact, he may be the missing camper i think between us there might have been 43 already. even though the pics in the gallery arent from our trip....its so funny to see that everyone took the same photos like the pyramid at 4 corners and the one on the last day back at Wel-Met. Its fun remembering - great memories!!

Name: ilene

Email: nesharim@aol.com

City: baltimore

State: md

Message: I was a camper at Barryville, Units 2 and 4, Pioneers at Silver Lake and Western Trip in 1966 ?I think. I worked as a counselor in Narrowsburg in Unit II, summer of 1969.Many of my best memories are from my camp days and I am still friendly with a few people from that time. Im a social worker and live with my husband and daughter in Manhattan.

Name: Debby Kaplan

Email: dkaplan@venturehouse.org

Message: would love to hear from friends from the 1968 Western Trip, as well as from anyone else who remembers me...so many memories of Wel-Met that come up even more powerfully now that I have a 15-year-old daughter. I was in Unit 5, Pioneers, the Western Trip and returned as a waterfront counselor....great memories of rest hour by the lake with the kitchen boys, Howard, David, Steve, etc...Hey Howie, that was a really nice message you posted....reading about Wesh Rabbit reminds me of the great overnights, I loved it all.....

Name: Lesley Achitoff

Email: nofoNY@earthlink.net

City: NY

Message: Note to Robert Cohn on the food---how about Wel-Met Mish- Mash, ground chop meat cooked up with onions, peppers and anything else we could find. And how about Rocky Mountain Toast for breakfast--toasted white bread with the middle pulled out, and an egg fried in the middle. And yeah, I remember cleaning plenty of burnt pots, no Brillo though..just a fistful of pine needles was Wel-Met Brillo!! Great memories!

Name: Cliff Schorr

Email: clschorr@aol.com

Message: A great site! Thanks for the memories. I was a Long Island girl who loved the city friends I met at camp. I was in Narrowsberg from 1955- 1960, when I was a Pioneer. What a great experience! I was on the cross country trip the summer of 1961. Remember the Kansas farm we stayed at? Id love to hear from anyone who was at Wel-Met during those years.

Name: Lois Feit Kaufman

Email: llkauf@optonline.net

City: Merick

State: N.Y.

Message: A memory mentioned calls of Howie in the night. That was when Howie Rittman wandered away from an overnight and got lost. A large search ensued and they found Howie sitting under a tree eating a hershey bar a day or two later. It made the papers and was a kind of a big deal. He lived in my home town of Jericho Long Island. While I am speaking to you all, I am going out on a limb, and say that I did not think all the food at camp was so bad. I still like wet runny powdered scrambled eggs. Welsh Rarebit over bread was ok. Cleaning the burnt pots was not ok. The big boiled potatoes were ok. The big sardines that you had to pick out the spine bone was not ok. The cold cuts that showed up once a summer on visiting day were ok. What were some of the other meals??

Name: Robert Cohn

Email: rcohn@siegeloconnor.com

City: new haven

Message: I ATTENDED WEL-MET CAMPS AT BARRYVILLE IN 1966,67, I DID PIONEERS AT SILVERLAKE IN 68 AND WENT ON MY WESTERN TRIP IN THE WOODSTOCK YEAR OF 1969 I THINK IT WAS TRIP 3 I WAS A BUS-LOADER.... I REMEMBER MY FIRST LOVE INTEREST WAS A GIRL NAMED ROCHELE FROM BROOKLYN AND WE MADE OUT BEHIND THE LATREEN AT THE LAKE.......I ALSO PLAYED CONRAD BIRDY IN BYE BYE BIRDY BECAUSE I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH MY OWN ELECTRIC GUITAR.MELISSSA DONNER WHERE ARE YOU.....

Name: FRANK BADOME

Email: HOTUNAFR@AOL.COM

City: BOCA RATON

Message: I went to welmet 1972 until its closing in 1977-8.I never got to go cross country!I still have my mess kit and the campercounsler lists from several years as well as tons of photos labeled with names and dates.yes welmet was more than a camp..it kind of stayed in your blood and all this time later i still remember how to get to turtle rock and my campsites and remember how good onion rolls were on a cold morning. I always regretted that i never made it to staff .somehow working at other camps just wasnt the same.

Name: michelle helfeld hammer

Email: mishot@optonline.net

Message: Finding this web site is pure retro joy! I, like many of you, felt the best part of growing up was going to Wel-Met each summer. Now my 49 year old brain is fading and its hard to remember all the names. Was at camp all through 60s and Western Trip with Howie Stern hell never be Howard to me. Still in touch with Meri Weingarten and Peter Bass but im DYING to find Charlie Hecht - anyone know his whereabouts? Also, Joanie Michaels, if you remember her. Barry Morowitz was my hero! And how about camp reunions at Jones Beach??? Meet you at the monument! Look forward to hearing from some of my old friends - I did make a pilgrimmage to Wel-Met with Peter Bass several years ago when it was a religious girls camp. We went back to all the units, laid in the bunks, and stood in front of the mess hall. Memories flooded back, as they do now.

Name: Emily Saltz

Email: ebs16@aol.com

City: Boston

Message: Attended as a camper thru the 70s in Narrowburg and worked aaabarn boy thru to the closing. As has been said before, truly the best times of my life were spent there.

Name: Rob Turin

Email: RTurin@exchange.ml.com

City: ny

Message: Lenny is was great to see you signed in. I have been reading our Western Trip Itinerary, i told my mother it was in the atlas @ her house some stops I remember clearly, others no clue ive been there. I do remember we went to California, after Las Vegas, we only got as far a town called Nipton, for many of us it was our first trip to Ca. Does anyone else remember this???

Name: fran pillersdorf

Email: sdfran@aol.com

City: san diego

State: ca

Message: What a great website. I can never forget ga-ga knuckles and bug juice! Hi Fran, Ilene, and Stu.I was on the 76 western trip that went to Las Veges.I still talk to Jay Brandon...he was the best man at my wedding.

Name: Lenny Gitelson

Email: Gitelbug@yahoo.com

City: Toms River

Message: I really cant believe this website! I was just directed back to it by Mary Belkin, thanks Mary telling me that someone asked for me. MELISSA DIAMOND! Talk about names from the past. WOW! Of course I remember you! You were my very first link to Wel-Met. We were best friends in sixth grade,in Bklyn.and you told me about Wel-Met. If it werent for you I probably would never have known about or ever gone to Wel-Met. So after all these years, and having lost touch with you at some point after my family moved from Bensonhust to Sheepshead Bay, let me publicly say THANK YOU for telling me about Wel-Met Camp. I will e-mail you as well to reconnect and remember our elementary school days as well. Remember Mrs. Getz who threw our marble notebooks on the floor after marking our homework and the so called 6th grade prom?! Anyway the story I am about to relate may be of interest to other ex-wel-metters and I have repeated if often to my kids etc. We were sitting on the bus together going up to Wel-Met from the city. You had told me that Wel-Met was a very large camp and that we might not be in the same bunk. We were in the same school grade but you were 8 months older than me as I had an end of the year birthday. However, you were sure we would at least be in the same unit. You also told me that except for schmooze time if we were in different units it would almost be like we were in diffrent camps. Well, just before we got to the Narrowsburg gate, a staff person came around and gave us our bunk assignments. I was to be in Unit 3, bunk 44 the next to the oldest girls bunk in that unit and you were placed in Unit 4, bunk 60, the youngest girls bunk in Unit 4. Well of course, I was very upset and remember being on the verge of tears. However,as my earlier entry shows, scroll down to see it, I not only went to Wel-Met that summer but nine more summers. And I dont even think I ever went to the homesick club either, remember that?! So, I guess this story is another testament to the camp and again what I said in my first entry about THE PEOPLE that went to Wel-Met. Thanks for writing and I will definately contact you ASAP. THE END. This is not really the end,it is just another beginning. VIVA WEL-MET and the WEL-MET SITE!

Name: Marilyn Brenner Kleinman

Email: MBK10994@aol.com

City: West Nyack

Message: Is my memory cloudy or were the dragonflies that we saw on some of those hikes as large as birds? I also seem to remember trying to make cool-aid in a metal canteen which had an incredibly metallic taste to it. I have not seen many of the late ...1971 -1977... campers on the posts - are you out there? I also wonder what became of those plaques that hung in the dining room....what a find that would be - like finding historical documents!

Name: David Nodiff

Email: dnodiff@optonline.net

City: Eastchester

Name: melissa diamond-bistrong

Email: sweetprince127@aol.com

City: hewlettny

Message: i attended narrowsburg..years 1962, 63, 64 i think?? now i am a psychotherapist..cant remember a story right now..but i do remember building leen-toos, cheese sandwhiches for hikes and overnights..

Name: melissa diamond-bistrong

Email: sweetprince127@aol.com

City: hewlett

Message: P.S. Mike, our fearless leader, I would be glad to start researching rates and availability for upstate hotels... late August before schools re-start and Camp Sternberg has ended is the perfect time.. Lets start to guestimate some s of campers who are interested.

Message: JaneLevy!! You had the best reunions for us!! I remember painted cartoon characters dancing on the wall, hand- painted by your folks. And a big embrace by Mike and Shushy in sleeping bags...apologies to your wife, Mike! It was great to see your post... we have about 5 out of our fourty . Does anyone remember Scotty, I think, who had a funny way of calling out his assigned camper number... Fo- thy!! Fink

Email: anothersfinkaol

Message: Now that Donna Badome, Linda Ross, Todd Grossman, Cindy Kaplan and Linus have posted--howdy Pioneers 73, Western Trip 74--its time to check in. Wel-met was the best of hippiedom and formed me as a person -- it was as free as I ever felt before adulthood. A big shout out to all those great counselors--Stu Kirsch, Alice, Bob Simon--who took us seriously as human beings. Bob Simon once caught me and Mitch Schrift on a well-planned 2a.m. raid in Pioneers to go see ... hmmm, maybe Linda Ross and Barbara Lipton?... and brought us into his tent to drink Southern Comfort out of a Mason jar. Bob got us drunk, complimented us on our choice in women, and an hour later pointed us to the girls tent anyway -- now that was a camp. Im an English professor, a jazz and pop-culture scholar, and still an aspiring novelist. My sister Adele ... also a Welmet lifer ... posted two months ago and hey to her friends. Otherwise I second Donna Bs search for Norman Smagley, Nancy Finnsmith, Emo, and other friends and icons of my coming of age. Thanks for the website, folks.

Name: Joel Dinerstein

Email: jdinerstein@ithaca.edu

Message: This is great website. Since I was told about this site a few weeks ago, it makes me feel like a kid again. I have a lot of wonderful memories from my days at camp. Why was it only 6 weeks and not 8 weeks? Sliverlake 1967, 1968, Narrowsburg, 1969-unit 2, 1970-unit3, 1971- unit 5, 1972 pioneers, 1973 western trip 2. Mothers helper 1974 & 1975 for camp director and I dont even remember his name. Wow, cant believe I remembered all that after all these years. I made some rocky mountain toast this past Sunday and its not the same in the kitchen, needed some pine needles. I would love to hear from my old camp friends.

Name: Beth Green

Email: bethlgrn@aol.com

City: Bayside

Message: A little bit comes back every time you read another memory.Leslie Barovik from Corporal Kennedy Street in Bayside,Steven Freid near van Cortland park in the Bronx.The hike to Barrysville when we got lost for hours after a local direscted us away from th shortcut beacuse it crossed his property, Then keeping us from going back home with a gun in his arm. Paul Langer it took this site for me to find out you went o Wel-Met i know you from Hays hall Oneonta Hamolka!

Name: Steve Michaels

Email: milo193@aol.com

City: new York

Message: Being Lou Levitts kid, I was one of the Narrowsburg camp brats that had full run of the place. Me and my sister Amy and the other children of the full-time staff spent our summer days swimming, hiking, and avoiding the occasional dirty looks of the campers as we whizzed by on our bikes. Then midway thru the summer it was my turn to be a camper at Barryville - overnights at our bunks pow-wow site, digging latrines, learning how to lash branches together to make a lean-to and making sure our beds had hospital corners. Even tho it was only 10 miles from my summer home it felt like a 1000 miles away. But boy those were fun times! In 1969, when I was 16, I worked as a unit clerk in Narrowsburg and managed to take a day off to go to Woodstock my 2nd concert ever. For the next few summers I worked as a kitchen boy in Barryville which was sorta like Animal House in the woods. I wouldnt trade my Wel-Met memories for anything in the world. Mike - thanks for setting up this site!

Name: Dave Levitt

Email: dql@world.std.com

City: Boston

Message: ok, i cant resist even though im feeling a little shy about this at the moment....all my old friends...where are you all??? narrowsburg pioneers 73, western trip 2 ?how could i forget??in 74...beth, lana, mindy, dear norman smagley, andy, mitch, cindy kaplan..our old frind joel turned me onto the site even though hes not writing in YET....LINUS and Todd - saw your notes...went to Jamaica with you linus and thought you were one of the funniest guys i ever met. if youre not sure who i am then you might remember me as the only non-jew in the unit - the lone sicillian oh sorry, there was that one gorgeous, crazy guy...spallone???started wel-met in 67 barryville then silverlake then a big gap inbetween when my parents mistakenly thought they were doing me a favor by sending me to a camp that had the ski boats, sailboats, REAL volleyball courts....if it werent for wel-met...i wouldnt have done a fraction of the travelling ive done in my life...havent lost an ounce of that hippie sensibility that we all picked up in those years joel, you know it and neither have you darling..and i probably wouldnt be living on maui as a surfer-bartender- massage therapistbut before maui i was whatelse? a socialworker in NYC....cant imagine what my life would have been like without wel-mets influence. and HOWARD STERN...you made my brothers day week? year? when you called out his name on an upper east side street on your way to the early 80s reunion in manhattan. big frank was probably one of your biggest fans in those days still is and was thrilled to connect with you there.will pass this on to whoever i can think of...benny wax too for all you older than me ones...love you benji - youll hear from me soon. ok you guys...your turn to share. peaceout.

Name: donna badome

Email: ignatz77@aol.com

City: maui

State: hi