Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
George Gross

Thumbs up Wel-Met on "History of Howard Stern" today!

Did anyone catch the "History of Howard Stern" today on Sirius radio? They spent about a half hour talking about Wel-Met. He said it was the best time of his life.
George Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Harvey Shiffman

Send a message via AIM to Harvey Shiffman
howard stern

heard most of it , was great!
Harvey Shiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
Kenfried

History of Howard Stern

Hear it? I was in it.
Kenfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #4
jmfeld22

Wel-Met on "History of Howard Stern" today!

Can anyone give a short summary? I did not hear it and would like to know what Howard discussed.

Jay Feld
jmfeld22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Harvey Shiffman

Send a message via AIM to Harvey Shiffman
spoke about going to camp wel-met, friends, camp food, "lower middle class" kids , sleeping in the woods, lashing latrines in the trees, sleep out food, government issue cheese,butter and lard. his parents spoke about visiting day. said there were no activities? except camping out.but did say it was the best time of his life which rings true for most of us here on the site, otherwise we wouldnt be here!
Harvey Shiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
MFisher

Cool

It was cool and a little surreal to hear since I could relate to so much of what was being talked about. The cabins and bathrooms that got more and more rural with each progressive unit, Birch Lodge; the campouts with the latrines and lean-tos, lashing, carrying the food in baskets and LARD. It was also funny to hear him describing it in the clips from previous shows they mixed in and hearing Robin and Artie laughing and commenting on it because it sounds so much like the reactions I've gotten from people, including my wife, when I describe the experience.

Of course we all know he exagerates when he says there were no activities....

I've been listening to Howard for about 20 years, long before I knew he was a fellow Wel-Metter, and my wife and I got the Sirius subscription as soon as he announced the move. I still can't get over how much he's accomplished and how great satellite radio is. My wife, Michele, is a former radio person and is really in awe of his success.

Last edited by MFisher; 12-22-2007 at 02:52 PM.
MFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
Cliff Ageloff

the HS story has been repeating throughout the weekend on Sirius 100. Great to hear his take on WM
Cliff Ageloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
Davia Love

Does anyone know if you can hear the interview online? (I have XM)
Davia Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
Jrosen

It was great to hear Howard talk Wel-Met, my favorite was hearing his mom tell about using Wel-Met as a bribe "If you don't do good in school No WEL-MET this summer". I also laughted my ass off at about his trip to the corn at the Jensbys.
Jrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 AM   #10
markjaws

My Brief Recollection of Howard Stern

I was in Unit 23 back in 1974, next door to Howard Stern's Unit 45, I believe. In my unit there was Alan Rappaport, Eddie Karp, Jeff Factor, Ed Phelps, Richie Frye, and Eileen Eichelberger (?) and Pattie from Seattle. If my memory serves me correctly, there was a gorgeous Willa, a cute Joan, a striking Kitty Sellers, two pretty Irish girls, Maura and Margaret, among others, to include some beautiful TICE girls, Beth Goldstien and Cathy (?) Rothenberg, and Eileen, the really pretty supply clerk.

Howard Stern was a walking scarecrow whose sticklike figure and Ichabod Crane features appeared menacing, but when talked to, he was really nice. Of interest, I never noticed Howard with a young lady. And let's face it, if you could not mate at that camp back in the mid 70's, with all those nice females around, especially during the School Camping Period, you were pretty hopeless. I may be wrong, but if Stern was left out then, perhaps it could account for his hostility towards women today. Just a thought.

Mark Jaworowski
markjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
MFisher

Very Bitter

What a bitter guy this Mark Jaworowski seems to be. Someone should tell him there was never a unit 23 or a unit 45. He's probably talking about bunk numbers, but 23 wouldn't have been near 45....
MFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 AM   #12
tgrossman

Send a message via AIM to tgrossman

Howard Stern was a western trip counselor in 1974 ........
tgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #13
jmfeld22

Howard was also a Kitchen Staff with me during the summer of 1971 . . . always reading and to himself. Hardly, opened up except to a very pretty tall bonde girl that work with the boats (I cannot remember her name).

Last edited by jmfeld22; 01-07-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
Joela

It must have been Rita Karasyk. She was a babysitter in 1970, boatgirl in 1971 along with Paul Basuk.

Last edited by Joela; 01-07-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: additional info
Joela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
mark rothstein

I think they had combined bunks in Unit I that year so bunks 2 & 3 were combined as bunk 23 (you can figure out where 45 came from) so they would have been next to each other.
mark rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #16
EddieK

Mr. Rothstein is correct..Units 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 consolidated when times got tough. I also believe Units 1 and 2 were "Unit 12"..

And BTW ...our famous friend was quite popular with persons of both genders. Do you think he returned to camp year after year to watch turtle rock grow ?
EddieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #17
markjaws

A Humble Apology

Mr. Fisher, and others. I stand humbly, and most penitently, corrected. I was just stating a thought and my impressions from a long time ago. But I am almost certain my unit was Unit 23 (a composite unit formed by combining units 2 and 3, with I believe four or five male bunks in Unit 23) and about 200 yards away was Unit 45. I thought Howard Stern was in that unit because when I saw him, it was at that location.

Eddie - any talk of another reunion at Wel-Met in the near future?
markjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #18
EddieK

No plans that I'm aware of Mark, but it's pretty early in the game. Last years' event was fun, but not well attended. This may be a case of absence making the heart grow fonder...Too many reunions in too short a period of time - who knows ? Whatever it is, if it is, I'll be there !
EddieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #19
Cliff Ageloff

Just for the record, Howard was my bunk counselor in 1973 in what I think was unit 4, in the bunks just behind the basketball courts and roughly across from the bathrooms. 'If my memory serves me well' That bunk included: Stu Thalblum, Craig Dorfman, Richie Balin, Seth Lipsay, Mike Schwartz,
Richie ????, Dave Redberg, Bruce Gallop....sorry if I forgot anyone...have a wicked head cold at the moment blocking my memory banks. Danny Hill was the co counselor. Woody was unit director.

Last edited by Cliff Ageloff; 01-10-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #20
alan rappaport

Cliff. do you recall a hike your bunk took with mine from Narrowsburg to Barryville. Where Howard and I leading the way got us,so incredibly lost that we walked extra miles got there very late and were so beat up the next day they had to send a bus to take us back to Narrowsburg. alan rappaport
alan rappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #21
Cliff Ageloff

I sure do Rap; do you remember the salt tabs we used to get too? God knows what they were supposed to be good for. It was one of those hikes that at the time so sucked but of course now is a precious memory. I have some pictures buried somewhere of that hike that may have a young Al Rap in them....I need to go dig and maybe can post them up.....50/50 I can find them though the memory is etched deeply anyway.......

More bunkmates....from 73 DUH how could I forget Dave Miller....and maybe Ronni Rosenberg? and Jeff too? I wonder if the annals of WM has bunk assignments filed away.....
Old 01-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
Ron Rosenberg

Hike to Barryville

Hi Rap & Cliff,

I remember that summer too. It was Unit 5; I was in Bunk 93 - Rap I think you were one of our counselors - and Cliff and the others you mentioned were directly across from us, maybe Bunk 90 or 91. I think Woody was actually our P.A., and Barry Morowitz was the unit Director, but I could be wrong - it was a long time ago.

The unit was arranged in "quads" back then, but at the reunion in '05, we saw that they had completely rearranged the bunks and everything else in that part of camp for that matter.

It was a shame too, because that summer ('73) Steve Storch and I had built a set of stairs for the "round-up" stage and I was hoping to see our names carved into them from 30 years earlier. No such luck - the stairs were nowhere to be found.

We were also on that ill-fated hike to Barryville. I distinctly remember a lot of people having to stop and rest along the way (myself included) because it was so hot. Then we got lost and finally staggered into camp at Barryville all whistling one of our "camp songs" - I think the lyrics were:

Comet, it tastes like Listerine
Comet, it makes your teeth turn green
Comet, it makes you vomit
So get some Comet and vomit today

(Amazing what sticks in your brain so many years later...)

They did have to send the bus to bring us back to Narrowsburg. I remember being a little embarrassed about it at the time, but it's one of those great camp memories that gets awakened from time to time.

Thanks Rap for bring it up again! Cliff, always great to hear from you on the site - sorry you couldn't make the reunion.

-- Ron Rosenberg
Ron Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
Cliff Ageloff

Good recall RR, it was bunk 91 & Woody Was PA. Steve Storch! Great guyl He and I used to go fishing together out by turtle rock and the dam and he showed my where & how to find crayfish in the stream that ran behind camp. I too am sorry I missed the reunions but I am always hopeful that there will be other opportunities. Thanks for your kind words.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #24
Stu Thalblum

Cliff and Ronco:

I thought Stern was our counselor in Unit 2 or 3, not 4.

I remember the hike, but not the salt tablets. Probably explains my high blood pressure to this day...

Best regards to all.
Stu Thalblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #25
Alan Schneps

Long Lost

Ronnie and Stu,

Never knew until recently that this site existed (thanks, Janet). I was on that hike from Narrowsburg to Barryville with you guys--we were in the same bunk. I remember taking a bus back. I remember you two well.

-Alan Schneps
Alan Schneps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:44 AM   #26
Adrienne

1971 Narrowsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfeld22 View Post
Howard was also a Kitchen Staff with me during the summer of 1971 . . . always reading and to himself. Hardly, opened up except to a very pretty tall bonde girl that work with the boats (I cannot remember her name).
I remember "Howie" from the kitchen that year. I was a counselor in Unit 5. My sister, Sue, worked in the office. Jane Fradkin, who'd been my tentmate on my western trip (#5 - '69) also worked in the office. Wes Blank (with whom I'm still friends) was the waterfront counselor. I don't remember anyone else! The main reason I remember HS was because I later went to BU with him and we were on the opposite peripheries of the same crowd. We were often at the same parties together, but even given our Wel Met history, I don't think we ever spoke a word to each other. (He didn't speak much back then, period. Seems to be making up for it now, in spades!)
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #27
Marty Guttman

I have only vague memories of that game. Who umped? And who were the coaches?
Marty Guttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #28
jmfeld22

Sorry for answering late - but you are correct. He was always nice except to a few and he disliked Jean Cromby, the man in charge of te Kitchen Staff.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #29
Cbmaslow

I don't know how I missed this thread the first time it came around, but reading about that lost hike to Barryville brought back such a flood of memories....

I remember you guys getting back, & Dave coming over & making me laugh when he described what you went through. I think you did finally make it to Barryville, - is that right? Maybe just for a short time...?

I also have a vague recollection of word getting back to camp that some hikers were lost, & the drama of adolescent-girl-worry & counselors trying to soothe us. I'm not sure that was the same incident, though.

We were in Unit V, & the bunk referred to with Cliff, Dave, Seth, etc., was definitly Bunk 91 - the "cool bunk" (sorry Ron - not that you weren't cool - just in the wrong bunk).
Cbmaslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #30
Adrienne

I assume you must be speaking of a year when Howie was a counselor and not a camper, because in 1974, he would have been 20. I know how old he is because we went on our WT the same year, worked as staff a couple of years later, and went to college together.

I remember Howie from the early 70's at BU. We were on opposite fringes of the same crowd and used to be at a lot of parties together. I don't recall him ever speaking. Maybe he was stoned or perhaps just shy, but he'd just sit in the corner all night and never say a word.

I guess being behind a radio mic helped him "open up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjaws View Post
I was in Unit 23 back in 1974, next door to Howard Stern's Unit 45, I believe. In my unit there was Alan Rappaport, Eddie Karp, Jeff Factor, Ed Phelps, Richie Frye, and Eileen Eichelberger (?) and Pattie from Seattle. If my memory serves me correctly, there was a gorgeous Willa, a cute Joan, a striking Kitty Sellers, two pretty Irish girls, Maura and Margaret, among others, to include some beautiful TICE girls, Beth Goldstien and Cathy (?) Rothenberg, and Eileen, the really pretty supply clerk.

Howard Stern was a walking scarecrow whose sticklike figure and Ichabod Crane features appeared menacing, but when talked to, he was really nice. Of interest, I never noticed Howard with a young lady. And let's face it, if you could not mate at that camp back in the mid 70's, with all those nice females around, especially during the School Camping Period, you were pretty hopeless. I may be wrong, but if Stern was left out then, perhaps it could account for his hostility towards women today. Just a thought.

Mark Jaworowski
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote