Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Meredith Rubel

Getting My Daughter Ready For Camp

Skye is 17. For the last ten years, she's attended Barney Medintz, the JCC camp outside of Atlanta, in Cleveland, GA. (I see striking similarities between Barney and Wel-Met.)

Skye was hired as a nature counselor this year. I take her to the bus this Friday. For the last week, I've been getting her ready: buying clothing, sewing name tags, switching out old-old towels for new-old towels. She brings two duffel bags with her. One is the duffel I used for camp, with my childhood address -- Bedford Avenue, Booklyn -- printed on the side. Don't know how the bag held up, or why it's not mildewed , but it's in fine shape with plenty more camp seasons ahead.

Doesn't seem so long ago, my mom was packing me up, sewing my name tags, taking me to Washington Irving H.S. on the day that always made me a little queasy -- but excited!

Time has passed very quickly.
Meredith Rubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Harvey Shiffman

Send a message via AIM to Harvey Shiffman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith Rubel View Post
Skye is 17. For the last ten years, she's attended Barney Medintz, the JCC camp outside of Atlanta, in Cleveland, GA. (I see striking similarities between Barney and Wel-Met.)

Skye was hired as a nature counselor this year. I take her to the bus this Friday. For the last week, I've been getting her ready: buying clothing, sewing name tags, switching out old-old towels for new-old towels. She brings two duffel bags with her. One is the duffel I used for camp, with my childhood address -- Bedford Avenue, Booklyn -- printed on the side. Don't know how the bag held up, or why it's not mildewed , but it's in fine shape with plenty more camp seasons ahead.

Doesn't seem so long ago, my mom was packing me up, sewing my name tags, taking me to Washington Irving H.S. on the day that always made me a little queasy -- but excited!

Time has passed very quickly.
my kids went to blue ridge in mountain city ,ga. very similar to wel-met, they went for 10 years brought back many fine memories! still seems like it was yesterday
Harvey Shiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Docbrett

Send a message via AIM to Docbrett
The most wonderful time of the year

The Most Wonderful Time of The Year was always the last few weeks of school. You could feel it building slowly like a runaway freight train. First the trunk came up from the basement storage area with the Army Surplus Green Duffle tucked neatly inside. There was the invariable search for the never to be found Trunk Key which always resulted in my dad jimmying the lock open with a small screwdriver after hours of fruitless searching.
The trip with my Mom on a Saturday morning to the Lower East Side, to visit Schlock shops and discount stores for clothes and supplies.
My mit was oiled, an old hard ball put methodically in place, and the finger tips folded over and rubber banded snugly. It was then carefully placed between my mattress and box spring for it's annual loosening up.
My transistor radio, and extra set of batteries, a pocket knife, right gard deodorant spray in the can, some Hai Karate and my dop kit reworked with a new plastic soap dish (green) all ready to go. Saturday morning cantaloupe and onion rolls with cream cheese here I come!
Docbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
mark rothstein

You can add airing out the sleeping bag (which had been packed in moth balls all winter) and getting a haircut to the list of things that had to be done before going to camp. Usually, all this activity was triggered by receiving the JB Williams luggage tags in the mail.

Last edited by mark rothstein; 08-10-2010 at 05:49 PM.
mark rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Meredith Rubel

Smile

You've got quite the memory, Mark. How did you remember JB Williams?!

I much prefer Camp Barney's method: no trunks (no place to store them) and we bring our two duffels with the kids to the bus. Makes it not-so-bad when kids pack wet, muddy clothes that we can immediately dump in the washing machine when they get home.
Meredith Rubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
mark rothstein

I guess helping load and unload their trucks during the years that I worked at Wel-Met made an indelible impression on my memory. (I know it made an impression on my shoulders. LOL!) BTW, when didn't we pack wet, muddy clothes?
mark rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote