Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > The Old Guest Book
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2003, 03:04 PM   #1
David Fried

Old guest book section four

Message: I went to Wel-Met, Narrowsburg division in 1965, 1966, 1977 Units III, IV and V.Would love to hear from my old friendsbunkmates!I still remember how to lash and build a latrine!

Name: Debra Fried

Email: Debra1231@aol.com

City: New York

State: NY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: Kitchen help at Narrowsburg and Silver Lake in the 60s. Great memories, taught me that I better stay in school. Kept me focused on my career. Thanks.

Name: Ted Aspes

Email: judytedaspes@yahoo.com

City: Atlanta

State: Ga

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: marcia kramer Taylor do you remember me, I was in bunk 74 in unit 4 , 96 in unit 5 with Rich Devreis, Bobby Faust, Harvey Lowell, then onto Pioneers, and the Western Trip. Is Joan Werber in NY would love to connect to say hi

Name: Ira Shuldman

Email: DTEJ001@msn.com

City: Setauket

Message: Shelly it is really me. I just looked in the mirror and in my eyes I have not changed. Have not picked up the accordian in some time but spent the whole day making my daughter and wife crazy with I can not believe that Wel- Met is back.Of course they look at me like I am crazy! As a matter of fact it never left me. I just spoke to Bobby Faust and after 36 years, he and I spent over one hour talking about Wel-Met , Life , and where we have been and where we are still going. I can not believe you still have the letters from way back.I was trying all day to get my family to understand the emotion I have from my summers at Wel-Met and how they made me the way I am today.I am not sure what has happened to Amy as of today. Maybe she will sign on. However, speaking to Bobby and hearing about all teh guys and girls , I am going to try and contact as many as I could and reconnect in some way or another. As we have via the net.

Email: DTEJ001@msn.com

City: Setauket

Message: Ira...is this really you???? This is soooo unreal. Just this summer,during the blackout,I was showing my 18 year old daughter some of your letters that, believe it or not, I still have. I was trying to explain what Pioneers was like and of course my boyfriend Ira played a big part in the story. She laughed uncontrollably at the thought of her mom being serenaded by a boy and his accordian. She should only have as good and as many fond memories as I have of my Wel-Met years. Now,... if only the next time I sign on,there is a message from Amy Lebenson I can die and go to Heaven.

Name: Shelley Friedman Lipkowitz

Email: cshel1313@aol.com

City: Plainview

Message: For some reason, this website does not recognize the website address for you to view the reunion photographs. If you want to see them, send me an email, and I will email you the web link so you can see all the photos. I am at CLSchorr@aol.comThanks.

Name: Cliff Schorr

Email: clschorr@aol.com

City: Cheshire

State: CT

Message: Re: The ReunionI have posted about 120 pictures from the summer reunion at the website listed below. Hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them! Website address is below, cut and paste it into your browser window and you should be able to view the show. http:www.photoshow.netredir_ss.php?showFarIpCJdc

State: CT.

Message: SO EXCITED TO REMEMBER GAVE THE WRONG E MAIL THE CORRECT ONE IS DTEJ001@MSN.COM

Name: IRA SHULDMAN

Email: dtej001@msn.com

City: SOUTH SETAUKET

Message: BLOWN AWAY TO TEARS, NO JOKE. THE MEMORIES OF MY OTHER WORLD. THE PEOPLE, THE ACTIVITIES, THE EXCITEMENT, THE PRANKS, THE SOFT BALL GAMES, GENERAL SWIM, COLD AM INSTRUCTIONAL SWIM, THE SURVIVALS, THE SOCIALS, THE MESS HALL , BILL FLEIGEL, PICKING UP FOOD FOR THE COOK OUTS BEHIND THE MESS HALL, FRI NITE SERVICE WATCHING THE COUNSLORS RUN FOR THE GOURMET FOOD, SCHMOOZE TIME WE ALL REMEMBER THAT BY THE LAKE OR WHERE EVER, THE OLYMPICS, THE COLOR WARS, UNITS 1, UNITS 3 BOBBY FAUST, ERIC MOCKOVER, RICH DEVRIES, STEVEN SCHWARTZ, UNIT 4 BOBBY & RICH, UNIT 5 BOBBY , RICH, HARVEY LOWELL,PIONEERS BOBBY, RICH , AMY LEBENSON, SHELLY FRIEDMAN, FRED NEWDOM, ABNER STOLZFUSS, AMISH COUNTY, CORN FIELDS, THE LATRINES, THE SHOWERS, THE WESTERN TRIP BOBBY FAUST, HARVEY lOWELL , MARC STERN, PAT TOBIN, JOAN WERBER, MARTY SEGAL, JOE ZUCKERMAN, CONNIE NEWMAN, FRED AND JUDY, THE BUS BREAKING DOWN, THE LONG WAIT ON THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY, ST. LOUIS JCCA, LAKE OF THE OZARKS, LOS ALMOS,OKLAHOMA CAVERNS, THE BUS LOSING ITS BRAKES IN NEW MEXICO, MRS. JENBSY DOING THE CHICKEN , ILLINOIS STATE FAIR, CANADA AND NIAGRA FALLS, BACK TO SILVER LAKE AND THEN TO NY. EVERYONE SHOULD REALIZE THAT WE WERE THE CHOSEN FEW, THOSE WHO WENT TO WEL-MET AND EXPERIENCED WHAT MANY PARENTS THOUGHT AT THE TIME WAS THE WRONG WAY FOR KIDS TO BE BROUGHT UP, FREE TO EXPRESS, INTERGRATE IDEAS AND LIFE STYLES, ENHANCE THE ABILITY TO BECOME AN INDIVIDUAL UNDERSTANDING ALL THE OPTIONS LIFE WAS OFFERING TO US AND AT THOSE TIMES ALLOWED US TO DO IT WITHOUT OUT FEAR AND WORRY. YOU KNOW ME I WAS THE ONE WHO ALWAYS JOKED AROUND, ALWAYS HAD FUN, ALWAYS WAS AT BARRYVILLE BEFORE THE BUSES BECAUSE MY GRANDMOTHER HAD A HOUSE IN SOUTH FALLSBURG AND SADLY TO SAY ALWAYS WAS PICKED UP EARLY IN THE MORNING BEFORE THE BUSES RETURNING TO REALITY. MY BROTHER MITCH CALLED ME TODAY AND SAID HE FOUND THE WEL-MET SITE I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SOME TIME. THERE IS NOT A MOMENT WHEN I THINK ABOUT ALL THAT I HAVE DONE IN MY LIFE SO FAR MOVES, NEW HOMES, ETC AND NOW RETURNING TO NY AFTER 25 YEARS THAT I CLOSE MY EYES AND SEE THE ROCK AT THE LAKE AND FEEL A HYPE OF ANXIETY.WHEN MY DAUGHTER WENT TO SLEEPAWAY CAMP SOME YEARS AGO FOR THE FIRST TIME AND I SAW THE EXCITEMENT OF THE ATMOSPHERE AT HER CAMP, I FELT THAT I WAS AT WEL-MET STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF UNIT 3, 4, 5, AND IN FRONT OF THE MESS HALL WAITING FOR THE MEALS. THIS SITE IS NOT ONLY DEDICATED TO THOSE WHOSE PARENTS SAID SEND THEM TO CAMP, THEY WILL ENJOY THE FRESH AIR, BUT IT IS DEDICATED TO ALL OF US WHO HAVE TAKEN SOMETHING AWAY THAT IS PART OF WHAT WE ARE TODAY. TO ALL THOSE WHO KNOW ME IM BACK AND WE NEED TO GET TOGETHER IN SOME WAY OR FORM TO SATISFY THE BLOCKS THAT MAKE A LIFE AND RE-LIVE THE EXPERIENCES WE HAD. I KNOW I DO NEED THE HIT OF BEING AROUND THOSE WHO WERE PART OF THE FORMATION YEARS, THE SUMMERS, ALL OF IT. WHERE IN THIS WORLD TODAY IS THERE A WEL-MET? WELL LIKE THAT OF THE MODEL T, ALL THINGS EVOLVE AND SLIP INTO MEMORIES. MEMORIES OF WEL-MET DESERVE TO BE PRESEARVED, DESERVE TO BE TOLD AND REVIEWED AND DESERVE TO BE BROUGHT OUT IN THE OPEN BECAUSE WHO PUT THE BOP IN THE BOP SHU BOP SHU BOP? WE DID!!! LET ME KNOW WHEN WE ALL CAN MAKE A GET TOGETHER.

Email: DTEJ@msn.com

City: South Setauket

Message: Absolutely unbelievable! I was at Barryville from Unit 1 - Pioneers 1968. Western Trip 4 1969. Barryville Unit Clerk 1970 and Counselof 1971. I believe I was one of a few counselors hired right out of high school - before I had any college semesters.I have many friends that I am still in contact with from the Western Trip including Peter Rothbart now a music prof at Ithaca College who was in just about every Unit with me from Unit 1 on. In fact we had a female counselor in Unit 1 named Fran.Peter and I others as well were involved in helping to build the new Pioneer site in 1968 when it moved to the woods behind the Unit 2-3 ball field. We both worked on building the outhouses. Peter had the privledge of taking the first st. I imagine our names are still carved in the walls.I am still in regular contact with Julie Freedman and Marian Alper from my Western Trip. We all live in New England and get together for dinner two to three times a year. In fact Harris Kershnar is coming to visit next week from California and will stay with our family for two nights. Western Trip memory. I have a vague recollection that our trip 3 1969 met up with another trip by accident I think 1. We were heading towards Jensbys Farm and this other trip had already been. Me and a tentmate snuck out in the middle of the night to meet with some guys from this other trip. I have a vague notion that Howard Stern was one of those guys. I remember a tall long haired - as long haired person In any case, they told us where we should look to pick marijuana that grew wild around the Jensby Farm. We did. Wed wrap leaves in tin foil and cook them beside our baked potatos potatoes? - Wheres Dan Quail when you need him? to help dry em out so we could roll some and smoke it. I was a bus loader and I remember being very nervous when we crossed the Canadian border at Niagra Falls. I was sitting in the very front seat when I heard the customs guard say he wanted to search the under carriage of the bus. Nothing ever came of it . I told one of our counselors Paul from Holland the following year when I was a Unit clerk and he was absolutely surprised. The year after the Western Trip many of us would get together in Brooklyn at Kathy Parks apartment on a regular basis for long weekend sleepovers. As many of the people who have responded to this sight have said - WELMET formed the internal core of who I am today. My older brother Ira also went to Barryville and the Western trip in 1967. He hung out with Fred Newdom, Bobby Faust and Richie DeVries. I remember them as well. Also Stew Koenig and someone named Jay Rear. Sid Dinerstein was a counselor I had in Unit 2 and 3, I believe. Bob Salmon was Unit Director. Most people simply cannot believe I went to camp with 1000 other kids every summer for six weeks. Thank God its all real and not a dream.

Name: Mitch Shuldman

Email: mitchell_shuldman@uml.edu

City: Portsmouth

State: NH

Message: To Neal Madnick: Ive read your entries and am checking to see if you are the Neal who was on my 1972 Western Trip - Steve Young was Trip Director. If so, I have an album of photos from the trip including a wacky one of you I think on the bus. If its you, would love to show them to you. Are there any other 1972 Trip 5 campers or counselors out there? Fran? Anna? Marty? Nina Luban

Name: Nina Luban

Email: nluban@earthlink.net

City: New Rochelle

Message: Rona Altwarg - By any chance were you in Sigma Delta Tau at University of Maryland? I was there 1973-1976. I cant imagine there was is another Rona Altwarg, and I cant believe you went to Wel-Met. To all the Western Wel- Metters posting lately, there is a bunch of us out here. I have a Western Trip pal up near San Fransisco who still hasnt posted, and a couple of new friends in my area in O.C. Davia, it was nice meeting you at the reunion. Ira, I miss you!

Name: Barbara Scheinman

Email: bks@cox.net

City: Mission Viejo

State: CA

Message: To Gordie Fish: Those are different Rosenzweigs and Langers. This was Dave Rosenzweig and Paul Langer. No relation to the ones you mentioned. They were in unit 4 as campers that summer. Last night several of us met for dinner in the city Amy Levitt, Todd Siegel, Dave R., Roberta Grubman, Sue Puder, Neal Madnick,Paul Langer. Most spent the summer of 69 in B-ville unit 4, I think I tested a few memories and they did remember the Do-right thing. Others remembered that you were a talented song writer. You wrote a lot of the team songs for our olympics or water olympics or whatever we called it back then. And Terry Matis was a great artist.

Name: Marty Baicker

Email: mhmcmwb@aol.com

City: Bronx

Message: To Laurie Wollenberger Ackerman in Palo Alto - there are a few of us out here in the West, and some of us me included made it back for the reunion - me, Laurie Langer Larkspurand Ira Abrams also Burlingame, Al Breen Seattle and others. Send me an email and we can reminisce on-line!

Name: Davia Weinberg Love

Email: dlove@grmslaw.com

City: Burlingame

Message: What great memories I have of being a camper in Barrysville from Unit 1 in 64 thru Pioneers in 69 that rainy woodstock summer. The 1970 Western Trip 2. After that it gets hazy...a Tac, office clerk, western trip counselor, the list goes on. Spending more than 13 summers at camp. Amazing to read all the stories! Such great memories. Will stay in the loop now and hope for another reunion!. Thanks

Name: Rona Altwarg Stanton

Email: rstanton@mdc.edu

City: Coral Gables

State: FL

Message: Marty, thanks for confirming my story. You mentioned Jerry Wolkoff was your counselor. I believe thats the same Jerry who I referred mistakenly to as Jerry Hertzfeld. I got the names mixed up because Jerry Hertzfeld was a college buddy of mine. But it was Jerry Wolkoff whose Pontiac died in Bethel at Woodstock. By the way his co counselor was Terry Matis. I used to correspond with Terry. He was a very talented artist that wrote the most incredible letters and post cards with elaborate illustrations. I still have some of those letters. He had a girlfriend named Phyliss who was also a counselor in Unit IV. I do remember some of the campers you are having a reunion with. I remember Laurie Levitt, Julie Salmon and Beth Goldberg. I wonder if the Rosenswieg you mentioned is Frog Rosenswieg from my Western trip and is that Suzanne Langer also from my Western trip?

Name: Gordon Fish

Email: infofish@aol.com

City: NYC

Message: To Gordon Fish: That was not your imagination or a hangoverbad trip from your visit to Woodstock. I was a camper in Unit 4 that summer. I was in Bunk 74- Jerry Wolkoff and Terry his last name escapes me were our counselors. I remember the whole Do-Right thing. Hats and all. A great summer.It rained almost daily the first part of that summer. There was so much rain that there was a permanent mini-lake in front of Terry and Jerrys tent for most of the summer. They even put up a For Sale- Lake Front Property sign in front of their tent. Its funny Im reading this tonight as tomorrow night there is a get together of several Unit 4 campers from that summer for dinner in the City- Salmon, Levitt, Puder, Rosenszwieg,Langer, Siegel, Grubman, to name just a few. Doubt you remember all of the names but some of us look back on that summer as our best at camp. Hope you are well.

Message: Since posting last week I recieved several emails from campers on Trip 4 in 1971. Richie Cohen sent me photos that Gail Karlitz sent him. They were great. Many of the faces are familiar but some names escape me. Suzanne Langer sent me a few emails. It was also great hearing from her. Many memories are coming back from those years. My last posting I said I would explain about the Hatfields and the Do-rights. Here it is. In 1969, my first year as a couselor,I had a co-counselor Kenny, sorry I dont remember his last name. He reminded me of Dudley Do-right and so I dubbed him the name Dudley. The name stuck.I had decided to change my identity for the summer and had changed my name to Goober Hatfield. Goober was a nickname I had been given when working as a waiter in South Fallsburg two years before. I dont remember where the Hatfied came from. Anyway at Welmet co counselor were given different days off. Some were off on Tuesday and some on Thursday. Kenny was off on Tuesday and after awhile he and his friends were known as the Do-rights. Kenny always wore a white sailors hat and many of the Do-rights began to do the samething. I was of on Thursday and other counselors off on Thursday began to call themselves Hatfields. We wore green army hats that were popular with Vietnam War protesters of that time. When we would have activities in Unit 4, teams would split up as the Hatfields versus the Do-rights. The games began to get very competive which as you all know was frowned upon at Wel-Met. Finally the Camp Director Al again I am bad at last names, heard about the fueding between the Hatfields and the Do-rights and both Kenny and I were called to the camp office and told to cease or decease immediately. So ended the saga of the Hatfields and the Do-rights. Is there anybody else out there that remembers this or is this just a figment of my imagination. Other things I remember about that summer of 69 was the 19 straight days that it rained. Our platform tent looked like a raft with a river running under it. My shoes and sneakers turned green from mold. After awhile we played our activities in the rain oblivios to the soaking we were getting. Of course that was the summer of Woodstock also. We all got off one day to go to the concert. My day was the first day, the folk day. Jerry Hertzfield drove his big Bonneville Pontiac to the concert. It broke down on the way back and we had to push it to a gas station and then hitch back to camp. We arrived as the sun was going up, just in time for wakeup and breakfast. I remember some of the counselors in our unit didnt come back at all. There was a rumor that one couselor swallowed the bad acid and end up going with the Blue Bus back to Oregon. I think that is where she was from anyhow.

City: New York City

Message: New calculation: I was in Narrowsburg from 66 to 72 then went on Western Trip in 73. First two years in Unit 1, then one year in each of the other Units through Pioneers. What great times and memories! Forums re-enacting the bombing of Hirishima comes first to mind, and Ive remembered it often over the years. Does anyone remember the year that Narrowsburg first got the fleet of Sea Snark sailboats? I was one of the kids who volunteered to take them out of the boxes and put them together, and then learn to sail, and then teach sailing to the other kids. I still sail today, because of that experience.More reminisances later.

Name: Evan Glass

Email: eghome@aol.com

City: Glastonbury

Message: Steve Geffen, I must know you. You and I spend the summers of 71 - 74 in the same place. I was also on Western Trip trip 5 in 74 boyfriend was Mike AKA Boo-Boo. Did you use to sit in the back of the bus and did you have a girlfriend named Robin? Does any of this sound at all familiar? Hope life is good. To Wel-Meters all of the world... LShana Tova! Sorry this ex-Jersey girl missed the re-union in Aug. Never made it back east. Any of you out there ever relocate to Northern CA and the San Francisco Bay Area?? Laurie Wollenberger

Name: Laurie Ackerman

Email: laurieackerman@hotmail.com

City: Palo Alto

Message: Well- Im not too happy about how my last post looks. I sent it with separation between the paragraphs and stanzas of lyrics, and the web-site seems to have scrunched it all together into a big unintelligible blob- and posted it twice! Not my intention. Anyone who would like the lyrics in easier to read format, let me know. -Richwww.richsiegel.com

Name: Rich Siegel

Email: rich@richsiegel.com

City: Teaneck

State: NJ

Message: Please excuse my posting adoslecent obsecenties on a list which will be read mostly by middle-aged people. However, I have shared these lyrics privately with some old Wel-Met friends and they insist that they need to be posted. They date from Barryville 1972 & 1973. The first selection, Im Taking a Shit was definitely written by me, but I seem to recall that I may have had some help. Anyone care to admit having collaborated on this master-piece. The second one was actually written off-campus- so it had to be between summers 72 & 73 when my family was on a little weekend vacation with a few other families, including the family of Donald Kreis. Donald and I wrote it, and later performed it for the group, and this caused a rift between the various parents. We were accused of being generally disgusting and corrupting the younger children- this by most of the parents. My own parents were hip enough to find their objection ridiculous, and appreciated our creativity.Im Takin a Shit sung to the tune of Bobby Shermans Easy Come and Easy GoChorus:Im takin a shit- da da da da dadown at the latrine- da da da da daWhatever made me think that I could hold it inI oughta knowIn it comes and out it goes1 Wel-Met food it makes you fartYa know it aint good for your heartIt will make you fall apartSo you cant start all over againRepeat Chorus2 Wel-Met foods it makes you pissIt gives you bad breath when you kissAnd thats why were singing thisperverted songRepeat Chorus3 Well Ive told you all I knowand now Im sitting down to goAnd if this food dont make you sickyour stomachs lining is pretty thickRepeat Chorusand now that big hit collaboration between Donald Kreis and myself: Gorilla Balls this was written to original music, which was actually quite nice- I might write some better lyrics sometime1 Complaining bout injusticesdone to our gorillasMartyrs are they allfrom King Kong to MagillaThey never worry about birth control at allIm just a poor gorillaand Wel-Met stole my ballsChorus:How many years must I wait?All I wanna do is masturbateWhy must they always castrateus poor dear gorillas2 When I was a gorilla-lingI used to go a-jumpingBut now that Im a big boyId like to do some humpingBut thanks to Lou LevittIll copulate no moreWithout my precious testiclesI just cant seem to scoreRepeat ChorusAs I know these songs are bound to cause a lot of attention resulting in offers to use them in movies, etc. let me just state unequivocally that they are copyrighted, the first by me and anyone who will admit to having collaborated on it, and the second by me and Donald Kreis.Thanks for reading. Hope you got a laugh, and maybe a fun memory!-Richwww.richsiegel.com

Message: Feel bad that at the reunion, I could not remember who Sandy Barawski was when she approached me, her hair being totally different. Sandy, I hope you check in and next time you are in Israel, call me02 993 1080As soon as i left the reunion, on the way home I remembered exactly who you are, and were. Jonny Levine said the same thing.So write to me and relieve my guilt! Also, Donna Abromowitz, please forgive me for not remembering that you were in our tent on the Western Trip. Raised 4 kids, my biggest is a junior at Stonybrook, 2 husbands, delivered 500 babies I am a midwife so the databanks are full! Sorry. Please forgive me!Judy SlomeJudy

Name: Judy Slome

Email: judyslome@hotmail.com

City: Israel

State: na

Name: Andrea Goldberg

Email: zetlin@msn.com

City: los angeles

Message: Had a great visit with Dick Knutsen, Patti Gorman, and Alan Breen in Seattle. Especially fun indoctrinating my husband and son into the cult. An obliging raccoon even wandered by! The Wel-Met spirit lives! Sat Nam!

Name: Laurie Harris

Email: netlaur@aol.com

City: Concord

Message: Just found out about this site. What a great idea. My name is Gordon Fish. When I worked in Unit IV in 1969, I was sometimes known as Goober Hatfield. Does anyone remember the Hatfields versus the Do-rights? Long story, maybe I will tell it another time. Anyway, I was a cabin counselor 69 and 70 in Units IV and V. Then I was a counselor on Western Trip IV in 1970. Hello to Sue, Judy, Richie, Frog and the rest of the campers from that trip. Cant believe you guys are almost fifty now. I was a PA in Barryville in 72 in Units I and V. In 73 I was Pioneer Camp Director in Siverlake for 3 weeks and Barryville for six weeks. I never did work in Narrowburg. I directed the staff production of Guys and Dolls in 1970 and wrote numerous CAP productions with original music. I have such fond memories of Wel-Met and I think it did more to mold my charcter than high school or college I dont know whether that is good or bad. I would love to hear from any staff or campers that I shared my summers with from 69-73. Sorry I missed the reunion. I would have really enjoyed going.

City: New York City

Message: Counselor in 1970 & 1971 in Barryville. The first year I had the 1011 year olds & the second year had the teens sleeping in thtents back in the woods. I remember being a cast member in Guys & Dolls.

Name: Len Eagle

Email: len@eaglesplace.net

City: Shoreham

Message: How glorious to hear the names and the voices of so many old friends. I went to Wel-Met from 1964-74, Unit One to Western Trip Counselor, hitting all the strategic points in between. Greetings to Liz Levenback, Jessica Brodsky -- and all the Webers, Sue and Harvey my trip counselors, Alan Abbey, the Edelsteins and so many more. Okay, I confess Ive been reading this site for a while. I became a journalist, a newspaper reporter, right out of college after exhausting all the viable Wel-Met opportunities. Alan Abbey does this sound familiar? Im working on my second book now, a novel to be published in 05. Camp was right up there with the life experiences that have made me want to write. How could it fail? The Jensby Farm is a book all by itself. In 1970 I was a babysitter in Narrowsburg for a unit director who had a son, a red-haired, freckled, endearing imp, who was described to me as being brain- damaged. I, at 15, was not up to challenges he posed, nor did I have any appreciation of what I now imagine were his parents struggles, demons and triumphs.In short, I remember being a brat. Now, as the mother of a 16-year-old who suffers from severe autism I often reflect on that summer and the irony of my incompetence. Wherever that unit director and his family are, Id like to belatedly thank them for all I learned that summer. Living at the beach now with my two sons - the younger is 13-- and my husband,Jim Mulvaney, a former investigative reporter, now a private investigator. I would love to hear from camp friends.

Name: Barbara Fischkin

Email: muddycup@aol.com

City: Long Beach

Message: 30-9-03 I want to say a public thanks to the folks Barbara Scheinman, Mike Alterbaum, others who have tried to find me the email of what appears to be the only Wel-Metter other than I to be in Israel. It seems unlikely, but thats what weve found so far. I am about to write to her, and well see about making a kesher connection. Its nice to see posts from Eric Liebes about our old friends Peter and Brad. I also corresponded offsite with Laura Kramer, who sounds as terrific today as she was back then.Hey, Barryville types, youre letting the Narrowsburgers outdo us on this site. Lets get more postings.Im still hoping to hear something from Bonnie, Wilma and the third girl whose name I cant remember from Manhattan Beach, Lori from the Five Towns, Barry Aronowitz and others from Barryville 1965-1969, Western Trip 2 1970.

Name: Alan Abbey

Email: alan@jpost.com

City: Jerusalem

Message: 9-29-03 Bobby Faust is a very familiar name. I worked in unit 3 at Barryville in 67 or 68. Must have crossed paths there. Nanette, I think the Laurie who was a counselor on your trip was Laurie Harris, who just visited me this past week, after 30 years of no contact. I can tell you how to get in touch with her if you write to me. The Ken was probably Kenny Jurist, a good friend of Lauries. Well, we had a wonderful Wel-Met reunion here last week. Laurie and her husband non-Wel-Meter, but a great guy anyway! stayed with us for almost a week. We hadnt communicated in over 30 years, until she saw my guest book entry and saw that I live where her son was starting college. We had a ball sharing stories, camp pictures and laughter! Can hardly wait for her return trip. I have been to other camps, but the bond was never the same. The good, lifelong friends I made at Wel-Met are too many to name here. I finally figured out how many years I worked at Wel-Met. One year at Barryville, 5 at Narrowsburg. They are everywhere. Alan Breen and Nancy Garfinkel belong to my temple. I didnt know them at CWM. I went to a friends house for dinner the other nite and was talking with a friend of hers whom I have known for years. He, too, worked at We-lMet with Eddie Fisher-- 60s. He is Shelly Plumer. Barry Morowitz--hi to you and Peggy. I have often thought of you over the years. Lots of good memories about spending summers with you. I am so excited that I was able to open the guest book!

Name: Patti Gorman

Email: rampgk@comcast.net

City: Seattle

State: WA

Message: I was on a western trip dont remember the number in 1972, i was close with jill cornfield, debbie kameros, alan koretsky, janet tive. counselors were laurie, jack, joyce and ken, i think the camp leader was a guy named rich. would love to hear from any one from the trip

Name: Nanette Adumkin Geary

Email: nsgeary@yahoo.com

City: Loudonville

State: ny

Message: Ive had the pleasure of two mini-reunions over the last month. Both with fellow 1970 Trip 2 campers. Carol Potashnik & I met for lunch near her place on LI and found eachother to be entirely unchanged from when we were 14 or 15--both of us have learned to drive since then--. She had the Manitou Springs Cog Railway picture and we almost remembered everyones names. Peter Golbitz & I met for dinner in College Station TX where he was visiting to give a talk on Soy Bean technology. We noted our mutual grey hair and then found that we were still brothers after all these years. He saw his son in some of his pictures I gave him from our trip. I saw the 15 year old Peter in his current smile. While I was collecting college degrees and holding down just a couple of long term jobs, Peter was living in Europe, travelling and becoming a successful businessman. Ive also corresponded with Brad Seid, long time Barryville camper with Peter & me and hope to see him sometime. --Eric

Name: Eric Liebes

Email: ragmop@ix.netcom.com

City: Richmond

State: TX

Message: Ive had the pleasure of two mini-reunions over the last month. Both with fellow 1970 Trip 2 campers. Carol Potashnik & I met for lunch near her place on LI and found eachother to be entirely unchanged from when we were 14 or 15--both of us have learned to drive since then--. She had the Manitou Springs Cog Railway picture and we almost remembered everyones names. Peter Golbitz & I met for dinner in College Station TX where he was visiting to give a talk on Soy Bean technology. We noted our mutual grey hair and then found that we were still brothers after all these years. He saw his son in some of his pictures I gave him from our trip. I saw the 15 year old Peter in his current smile. While I was collecting college degrees and holding down just a couple of long term jobs, Peter was living in Europe, travelling and becoming a successful businessman. Ive also corresponded with Brad Seid, long time Barryville camper with Peter & me and hope to see him sometime. --Eric

Message: I just happened upon this web site and was soooo disappointed that I did not know about the reunion - maybe there will be another. I attended Narrowsburg to the best of my calculation from 1965 to 1971, then went on a Western Trip. More Later.

Name: Evan Glass

Email: eghome@aol.com

City: Glastonbury

Message: Can anyone help with the whereabouts of 1970 Western Trip campers Margie - Margaret- Borger and Elaine Gottlieb? Both were on trip 2 and both lived in Queens back then. Thanks.

Name: Carol Potashnick

Email: cboyer55@aol.com

City: New Hyde Park

Message: Would love to meet up with SoCA Wel-Metters, I have never met anyone from Wel-met in San Diego. I went to Barryville & Silverlake WT4, 1976.

Name: Fran Pillersdorf

Email: sdfran@aol.com

City: san diego

Message: I remember Bobby Faust from my western trip in 1967. Strangely enough, I met up with Fred Newdom, our trip director last year. I attended Narrowsburg for many years and the Western Trip in 1967. My days at Wel-Met were some of the most memorable of my life. I learned to play guitar and musci remains an important part of my life.

Name: Donn Lewis

Email: dlewis@mcdonogh.org

City: Colujmbia

State: MD

Message: hey Bobby, remeber me ....Amy Lebenson and I used to be best friends in camp. She was with Richie DeVries and I was with Ira Shuldman in Pioneers. She was with Andy Meter and I was with Glen Conway in Unit 5. I remember going to a reunion at your house on Union Tpke. I lived in the garden apartments across from Martin Van Buren HS. Lots of great memories.

Name: shelley friedman llipkowitz

City: plainview

Message: The board seems to have gone relatively dormant after the excitement of the reunion weekend one month ago. Has everyone finished recording all their favorite memories. that would be hard to believe, cause the memories can not be counted. Lets hear from everyone.Posted--September 23, 2003

Name: Mark Cukierman

Email: bubsmachin@aol.com

City: Wayne

Message: Bobby Faust-a name I recall all too well and without this website we would never have reconnected. Keep them coming from out of the woodwork, please!!!! Would also love to help organize a southern California reunion. If anyone else is interested, please contact me. Bobby and I both are now looking for Eddie Schechner. Can anyone help?

Name: Leslye Cooky Adelman

Email: momof3inla@adelphia.net

City: Sherman Oaks

Message: It has been so many years since I attended camp at both Barryville and Narrowsburg in the late 50searly 60s but I still remember some of the great experiences that I had there. I especially enjoyed the camp-outs and lake swimming. Does anyone remember the year the dock collapsed? Im pretty sure though not certain this was in Barryville. I still remember the song we campers made up to the tune of the The Day the Titanic went down. Something like It was sad, so sad, it was sad, so sad, it was sad when the great dock instead of great ship went down. We also wrote a parady of the Flying Purple People Eater song about the ODs - It was a one-eyed one-horned flying purple camper eater. I now have a home pretty near the camps and have been meaning to visit and see if anything is left but never got around to it. Its great to se a web site devoted to the camps.

Name: Bill Anscher

Email: wmanscher@aol.com

City: Lords Valley

State: PA

Message: I went to Barryville as a camper from 1961-Western Trip67, and then unit clerked unit 4 in 68.Wel-met remains one of the most influential experiences of my life.I recognize a couple of names on the message board, and will contact those folk.Id be happy to hear from anyone who recognizes my name, and begin getting some sort of Barryville Roundup together. Bobby

Name: Bobby Faust

Email: rfaust@nyc.rr.com

City: NYC

Message: Thanks Garf and Steve for letting me know that this site existed. I was on Western Trip 2 in 1973 and worked at Narrowsburg 1975, 1976 and 1977. It was great to see so many names from the past. I have to come back to the site to read the rest. Mykie, I would love to hear from you. Also, anyone else who was on my trip or at Narrowsburg. Ill post again. Lisa

Name: Lisa Schwartz Goldman

Email: teddy910@optonline.net

City: Dobbs Ferry

Message: Where to begin?! My head is filled with Wel-Met. Was just scrolling thru the e-mails written after the reunion, that I was VERY sorry to have missed. Most of the names were not familiar to me. Most of the people were campers before--and if--they went on to be staff. It occurred to me that the incredible experience I had as only a staff member, the lasting friendships I made, were quite different from the experience of many others who were campers. Wish I had been a Wel-Met camper.Looking thru the pictures on the web site has brought back very pleasant memories of people who had been lost in the far recesses of my memory. Alan Alterbaum, the second time I looked at the pix of you and your family I remembered you and how nice and helpful you always were. I also recognized the names of people I never knew and who never knew me, such as Beth Goldberg. But I was reminded of her father and all the other guys who ran Wel-Met and left such a wonderful legacy.It has been great fun reconnecting with people by e-mail. Benny Wax, you are a legend in your own time! It was great to hear about you today at my daughters soccer game, when i talked with Alan Breen. Sounds as if you have found a life of contentment, away from the rat race. Listening to Alan talk about Wel-Met was the most animated I have ever seen him. Cant wait to see Laurie Harris when she and her husband come up my way to get their son settled in at the University of Washington. Laurie, I have dug out old slides from a few of the 5-6 years I was there.Hold another reunion and I will be there!If you come to Seattle,please look us up.

Name: Sheryl Brumer

Email: jccexdir@stny.rr.com

City: Binghamton

Message: Wow! Ken Ricken, you have an amazing memory! Between your memory and Steves pictures I guess my political career is out of the question!

Message: Havent posted in a while but the recent postings have brought up some great memories. I had 2 distinct Wel_met experiences which have led to life long friendships with 2 sets of people. The first was as a camper in Barryville but none of the people from those years -- ending with Western Trip 4 in 1975 --- seem to have discovered this site other than Jackie Mancher and Robert Grubman. The second experience was as a kitchen boy at Narrowsburg in 1976 & 77. Postings from Steve Alter and Sheryl Brumer have rekindled some old memories. Sheryl, I believe you and I saw the movie Rocky together at the old Riviera movie theatre in Barryville. Also, I have memories of a really fun night that you, me and Ronnie Maxman spent together apologies may be in order. Steve Alter, after your extemely ceremonious departure, it was Marc Jacobs who told Dick Steinberg during a very serious meeting that the acid was beat anyway...one of the best lines in the history of any camp. Those were 2 unbelievable summers, hangin out with some really cool older people. Phil, Seth, Bandel, Garf, Spider, Maxman, Lisa Schwartz...love to all.

Name: Ken Ricken

Email: KAR5460@aol.com

City: Woodbury

Message: Sheryl,I have some pics that you would NOT want me to post.

Name: Steve Alter

Email: alterology@aol.com

City: FH

Message: Sorry Ronnie, I stand corrected, Harris P. aka..Eugene in Grease, did write that. Also apologies to Steve Bandel - it was Steve Garfinkle who ruined my dress with Coca cola at my cousins Bar-Mitzvah. Have some great old pictures floating around somewhere that Id love to post if i can find them - Spider, Bandel, Garf the Myones twins and Amy Z at the Haunted House, A picture of Phil and Seth and Bandel sans shirts,flexing muscles, affectionately labeled The Myones Manwhich and a picture of Bruce Kramer, Steve Alter, Amy Zaref, Ronnie Rudolph and myself in bed at some Wel-Met gathering that was taken by Paul Schwartz, I think. If anyone has copies of any of these I love to see them.Its so much fun surfing this site its a good thing that Im the boss or I would have fired myself hours ago!

Message: Sheryl, Gotta set the record straight: Harris Paltrowitz mentions the Tent Bum incident below. I kept my purple shirt until it mostly disintegrated. Then I cut out the lettering and saved it.

Name: Ron Rudolph

Email: rudolphski@aol.com

City: Fairfield

Message: I was on Western Trip number 4 in 1969..Loved it!! Any of you folks out there please say hello.I am going to pick up my tent mate from the airport after work today!

Name: julie freedman

Email: jfreedman@partenr.org

City: boston

State: ma

Message: Speaking of old loves-WENDY DIAMOND- if you stumble upon this web site, e-mail me immediately.

City: Forest Hills

Message: I LOVE SHERYL BRUMER- ALWAYS HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL- EVEN THOUGH WE KEEP MISSING EACH OTHER IN PROVINCETOWN. THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR.

Message: I dont know where to begin,this web site just blew me away! Anyone who experienced Wel-Met knows exactly what I mean, thanks to Spider for sending it to me. I was at Wel-Met in Barryville Unit 5 72 and Pioneers 73 and I worked in Narrowsburg in 76 and 77. I kept many of the friends I made back then and they are all forever in my heart. went to SUNY Binghamton with Spider, Amy Zaref, Glen Sherman, and Steve Alter even though he really went to UofP it seemed like he was at Binghamton most of the time! and we continued the Wel-Met thing through college. How much sex and drugs and rock and roll and friendship and good times can one person have. I cant believe that no one from Pioneers Barryville 73 has mentioned the Tent Bums incident, when we were labled Tent Bums by Dick Steinberg after we were sent home from our trip to the Berkshires for allegedly clearing out all of the merchandise from some jewelry store. And Stormin Normin the insane counselor that they hired off the street one day because all of our counselors were quitting and our production of Grease which starred Rich Siegal as Danny Zucko who I saw on this site I was really shocked to hear that Paul Schwartz died, he was a great guy! Ronny Rudolph, how the hell are you, Bruce Kramer-oh my God, Glen Sherman where are you?- Ian Weinstein, my first true love where are you? Patti Kennedy- here i am, how the hell are you? Seth Myones - the last time I saw you , you lived on Murray St. in Binghamton, Steve Bandel sprayed me with Coca cola at my cousin Howies Bar-Mitzvah, black outs on parent visiting day after a night of Tequilla at Bend n Elbow, losing Spider to the New Paltz police and my favorite Wel-Met saying from the summer of 76 was But the acid was beat Dick! Hi to Carol Hubsher, its been too long and anyone out there, drop me a line!

Message: Hey its great to see some of the Barryville people that I remember on here, and thanks Ron Rudolf for telling Bruce about it. Well lets see I was in Barryville, 71 in unit 4,72 unit 5,73 pioneers, 74 western trip 4. My memories were gorrilla ballsbig lumps of grey meat,a backpacking trip where they gave us tube tentsgiant hefty bags with the bottom cut out it rained the first night. The official camp game GA-GAstill have the scars on my knuckles from that one.Care packages from home and the great people that were there. I would not of traded any of it for one of those fancy camps that had real food. haha. Send me an e- mail it would be great to hear from you

Name: Steven Geffen

Email: shocked17@yahoo.com

City: NEW YORK

Message: What an amazing hour I just had reading these postings.Thanks Sheryl and Ronnie for getting me to this web site. My nine years at Wel-Met did as much to shape my character as anyplace else. In fact, after faking homesickness just to hear what they were talking about in the Home Sick Club, I became a psychologist. Still love all of my camp friends:WM history- Camper 68-73-mostly at Narrowburg. Western Trip 3, 1974. Kitchen staff- 75-76 until my unceremonious departure.

Message: just wanted to say hello to all my friends i was a camper in barryville from 70&71 in unit four 72 unit 5 73 pionerrs 74 western trip 3 was in d.c the day nixon resigned , shout out to susan soletsky ,wendy diamond ,steven geffen ,ian ,paul schwartz,glen sherman,does any body lou leavitt , ? if anybodys out there please contact me at this e-mail address , ha rich siegel ,remember this Im taking a sh down at the latreen

Name: bruce kramer

Email: bkramer@barbizon.com

City: new york

Message: Wow! Thanks to Ron Rudolph for giving me the heads up on this site. Lets see- three summers- 72, 73, and 74. The first as a regular camper- does group 5 make sense?- thats what I seem to remember- the second in Pioneer Camp, and the third on the western trip. What can be said about Wel-Met, or about that time of life- or about that era? a time when life felt good, a time when lasting friendships were made, a time when you knew dreams would come true- even if later they didnt, a time when we didnt know how damaging a lot of the drugs and permissive behavior could be- a time when it was a whole lot easier to relax- when the important things in life- like just being close to nature- were so clear and evident. I want to post a fond remembrance of my friend and fellow Wel-Metter Paul Schwartz who died in 1993. I want to say hello to any old friends who might be out there. Pop me an e mail!

Name: Ron Rudolph

Email: rudolphski@aol.com

City: Fairfield

Message: Thought Id check in post-reunion to say hello to everyone. It was wonderful weekend. I shot some video, about an hour mostly made up of randomly captured landscapes and a few audio snippets. With a few more stills, like several hundred, past and present and a variety of camp histories recorded in some way, something could be made out of our memories and experiences. A project like this, similiar actually to this guestbook, could simply start as a casual collection that slowly evolves as something meaningful beyond our own lives. So,let me know what your thoughts are on this. By the way, Dave Goldman, your CD is fabulous.

Name: Phil Weisman

Email: poweismanx@aol.com

City: South Orange

Message: Marcia..thanks for remembering me as one of the popular girls. I have to show this to my daughter who will probably find it hard to believe! I remember you too, and I think you know my husband who says he grew up in the same neighborhood as you the Big Six in Woodside. I remember all those names you mentioned too. I know somewhere in my house is a picture of you and Roma???? from the Western Trip. By the way my eyes are green.

Name: Shelley Friedman-Lipkowitz

Message: Im older than I thought! I was at Barryville, unit 4, in 1963 or 64. Roberta Bandel and I met at Cornell years later.I remember Shelly who wrote in, as one of the popular girls with a page boy light brown haircut and blue eyes. Am I right?

Name: Marcia Kramer-Taylor

Email: ralphalot@aol.com

City: Lake Oswego

State: Or

Message: My dear friend,Joni Werber,found this site. I was a Barryville girl starting in unit 4, bunk 65 in 1966, then unit 5 and pioneers the following years, culminating in the western trip. Some of the names my aged brain remembers: Ellen, Hope, Jan, Cindy Barshoff, Barry, Joel Fagin,Maddy,Bobby Faust, Nina, Robert Bandel, Andy Meter, Harold, the first boy I went steady with for a week, who ran off from camp into town and bought me an ankle braceletaw Gloria Winograd and Jane Geller were my tentmates on the Western trip. Its hard to believe it was so long ago..

Name: Marcia Kramer-Taylor

Email: ralphalot@aol.com

City: Lake Oswego

State: Or

Message: My husband directed me to this site, after hearing stories from the two summers I worked at Narrowsburg, 1975, 1976. Seeing some old names Frog, Scott Cohen, Martyon this message board, I just had to say hey to any of the folks I once knew. I worked for Dick and Marge Steinberg and their girls Lisa and Ellen and then as a waitress for Ralph Weeks, what a gentle soul. Left NY nearly as soon as I hit 18 so I have not kept in touch with the Wel Met gang, other than finding an old boyfriend. I miss upstate NY and would love to have my kids experience a summer in the country, on their own...Okay, maybe without access to Dan LaBarrs and that bar in Barryville and the organic material that was found in kitchen guys HQ...Oh, the canoe trips on the Delaware, picking blueberries after dinner so I could have fresh fruit, the old bridge in Narrowsburg and the tales of Cropsey. ANd the sad tale of how gorillas became extinct in the vicinty of any Wel Met Camps. I still make Rocky Mountain Toast. Wish I kept in touch with Cheryl Brumer, Lisa Schwartz, the Brooklyn Gang. I wonder how those Miones Brothers aged...

Name: Patti Kennedy

Email: Gormkep@aol.com

City: Stockton

Message: Eric Hecht, Say Hello to your Brother Charlie for me . We were campers and on Western Trip Two together in 1969. Russell Edelstein

Name: Russell Edelstein

Email: LBV3475@FDN.com

City: Lantana

State: fl

Message: I regret, more than ever, after reading about an hours worth of post reunion emails, that I was unable to participate. I WILL make it to next years I can only assume there will be one! In the meantime, still looking for people I remember from 1958-1968, the best 10 summers of my life. email me if you remember my name. PLEASE

Name: Leslye Cooky Adelman

Email: momof3inla@adelphia.net

City: Sherman Oaks

Message: APB! Looking for old buddies from Narrowsburg and from WT 1 in 1970: Jay Feld, Jesse Matuson, Donna Mayer, Tammis Miller, Sheryl Handelsman, John Hirschfeld, Patti Pomerantz, Wendy Rapaport, Norma Silverman. If anybody is in touch with these people, please Email me. Thank you!!

Name: Julie Light

Email: Peeeches2@yahoo.com

City: Manhasset

Message: This site brings back some great memories. I was a camper at Silver Lake in 1970 8 yrs old, 1973 and 1974...did the Western trip in 1977. I have not seen any familiar names on this site yet. If you know of anyone from Silver Lake in those years, please give them my email address. P.S. Some of you may know my older brother Charlie who was a camper at Narrowsburg and on a 1969 Western trip.

Name: Eric Hecht

Email: e.hecht@comcast.net

City: Westfield

Message: Hello, I went to Wel-Met from the summer of 1967 thru to the western trip in 1973. I am looking to connect specifically with the following people:Paul Padowski, Judy Berkowitz, Susan Rabinsky, Nancy Tactell, Eric Levy, Craig Schwimmer. I apologize for butchering the spelling of your names. Thanks and i hope to hear from you soon.

Name: Danny Maguire

Email: dmagu@optonline.net

City: Wyckoff

Message: Bobbie Finkelstein, just noticed your picture on the website. Would love to hear from you.

Name: Elise Kravetz Carlton

Email: ecarl7751@aol.com

City: South Windsor

Message: Heard about this great website from my sister, the former Laurie Kravetz, a fellow camper. I attended from about 1961 - 1966. I was in Narrowsburg for Units 3,4,&5 then Silver Lake for Pioneers and then a great Western Trip in 1966 if I remember correctly. Have some nice memories of those summers. Dont know if anyone remembers me as I was kind of quiet but I remember many of the names on here such as Al Grodin, Jay Neveloff, Toni Reiss, Davia Weinberg, Shelley Stahl, Felice Karlitz, Cliff Weber, Laurie & Jerry Harris. Cliff, Ilissa Light is in LA. It would be fun to hear from people.

Name: Elise Kravetz Carlton

Email: ecarl7751@aol.com

City: South Windsor

Message: I am a long-time camper and staff member of Camp Sternberg, and was working there when you came to visit us in August. Just a quick note to let you all know how much we enjoyed watching you enjoy yourselves. Its been fun looking through this site, and getting even more of an appreciation of what took place in our camp years ago. Its hard to imagine the good times without us. It was delightful meeting you, and we are glad to have been able to provide you with such a happy memory. And were certainly glad that the good times live on--cuz thats making for beautiful memories for us!

Name: Shira

Email: Brur1204@yahoo.com

City: Brooklyn

Message: Ive now had a few weeks since Reunion Weekend to try to comprehend what we all went through a few weeks ago at the Nevele, AND at Wel-Met. Its still all so hard to believe that we got SO many people together, and had such an incredible time. The trip to Narrowsburg was like being in a time machine, and like so many others have said here, it revived so many fabulous memories of what Wel-Met was all about. I found it interesting that at the reunion there was much less talk about who we are TODAY, and much more talk about who we were back then. It was great to see Eddie K., Greg, Scott, Dean and Cliff W., Laurie, Barbara, Wendy, Lee, Hildie, Jayne, Alice, Joanne, Brett, Claudia, Felice, Donna, Karen, Janet and more, and of course my lifelong friends, Mike Alterbaum and Danny Brietstein. Mike fulfilled his dream by building not only the website, but also the idea for the reunion - thanks so much, Mike..and also Laurie for making it all happen. The memories of Wel-Met 1968-1971, and now Wel-Met 2003 will be with me forever. I hope to stay in touch with all of you, and cant wait to get back together again. Long Live Wel- Met!

Name: WENDY WITTNER

Email: WENWIT2@AOL.COM

City: WORCESTER

State: MA

Message: I found this site when my daughter after hearing mystories decided she wanted to go to Wel-Met and we lookedon the computer to see if it was still there. Its not. Butwe loved reading your messages, especially Cliff Ageloff,Larry Ubell and, of course, Jay S-H-M-U-L-E-W-I-T-Z!!Jay, Iremember the blueberry patch. Best meal in Wel-Met! And yes,getting there was half the fun. i went to Silverlake 1967and Narrowsburg 1968-1972. I would love to hear from myold bunkmates, especially bunk 21969. i remember all youguys, but for some strange reason none of our counselors.Guess we really didnt need them. Special memory-overnighthike to Barryville and swim in the Delaware River when wegot lost.

Name: Dave Weiss

Email: David.Joel.Weiss@att.net

City: East Meadow

Message: Hey, Mata Mandir - we did get into lots of trouble now, didnt we? Trying to sneak past the ODs! What did they call it when they made us stand outside next to trees? Pulling us out? Id forgotten about those hilarious nights where we couldnt stop giggling! It is good to be back in touch!

Message: Just wanted to check in with you all and get in on the group hug. I had wonderful heart-satisfying talks with long talks with Laurie Harris and Nancy Garfinkel last night. Thanks for searching me out. Alvin Lewis, I remember you. It sounds like youve perpetuated the Wel-Met legacy in a great way. Reading your message brought me right in. I still remember fern beds, the smell of pine needles, and getting into tons of trouble as Laurie-Laurie and Cheryl thsts Bregman. I remember you, Leslie Chandler too, and Roger Lazoff and millions of others who havent checked in yet, especially Debbie Fins. By the way, our dear friend, Michael Scholnick, died around 15 years ago after a short and glorious life. I wish we could have connected with him earlier. Wel-Met is the place where I could celebrate and be me - thats where I was really born. Love you all, MataMandir Khalsa was Laurie Kravetz

Name: Laurie Kravetz, now known at Mata Mandir Khalsa

Email: mmkhalsa@erols.com

City: Herndon

State: VA

Message: Thats what I get for posting at 7AM- Scott it was great seeing you at the reunion. Thanks for being there!

Name: Eddie Podolsky

Email: artona@aol.com

City: Toledo

State: OH

Message: It was an incredible weekend we all shared as we relived what was to me the most important part of my childhood. Thank you Laurie and Mike for your vision and perseverence in putting everything together. Thank you Judi, Frog, Suzi, Richie, Sorin, Joan, Julie and my brother Paul for being there to enjoy it with me and make the weekend so incredibly special. A note to Mike, Kay and Robin- I wish you could have been there too- you were missed. Thank you, all of my dear friends and everyone who attended for being part of such an important chapter of my life.

Name: Eddie Podolsky

Email: artona@aol.com

City: Toledo

State: OH

Message: i cant believe what an amazing day i had on saturday and how much i missed the rest of the weekend!!! i loved seeing all of you and seeing what wonderful people we were and still are!!!Mike and Laurie...it was such a treat that you made this happen. you guys put so much time and energy into this and it could not have happened without you even though everyone else wanted it just as much. i guess we were lucky to be friends with such doers. I enjoyed seeing everyone from my 71 western trip. each one of you were so special i wish we could all go on it again tomorrow. i was amazed to see what great wonderful productive adults everyone has become. we better not wait so long to do this again!!marty, eric, scott, suzi ...everyone else who i knew from my summer of working in 73!! what a treat...i found memories that were so long gone. All i can say is thank you, thank you, thank you and looking forward to seeing you all again. mike....im still willing to bid on a light blue sweatshirt, do you know of any?

Name: hildie ginsberg rader

Email: hiljoe56@aol.com

City: syosset

Message: To have experienced the emotions of a former Wel-Met lifetime, yet again, with people who felt what I felt, did what I did, remembered what I remembered, breathed the same pine-scented air I breathed, 30 years later, and to know it was not a dream. Thank you Laurie and Mike, and thank you everyone I have always loved and those I just met. Words cannot describe how deeply our brief reunion weekend touched my soul. I look forward to future Wel-Met events with as much gleeful anticipation as a kid from Queens who counted the days to camp year after year.

Name: Roz Guterman

Email: rguterman@earthlink.net

City: Ithaca

Message: Thank You Mike and Laurie. It was a great weekend. My mind was tired from pulling at wonderful memories that had been lost to at least 25 years. But they were all so wonderful to live again. The people and the places brought so much of it back. Sunday afternoon Scott Cohen and I visited Barryville and went looking for Howie Anthony....and found him and most of his family. Still living in Barryville! That brought us another round of smiles and memories.a truly priceless weekend!!! It took decades to make it happen!

Name: Marty Eichel

Email: MartinE929@aol.com

Message: Follow-up to my previous: Any Wel-Metters in Israel? Please let me know!BTW, after reading through some of the posts after all, I am at work and couldnt read them all, I found so many saying similar things to mine: my wife and my 8- year-old already know all of my Wel-Met stories, as others wrote of their own families. Wonderful stuff! I would love to hear from anyone who remembers me - Bonnie, Wilma from Manhattan Beach - where are you? You were all at my bar mitzvah!

Message: Barryville, 6-week trip, 1965-1970 Western Trip, 1971 counselor, 1973. Friends: Eric Liebes, Peter Golbitz, Barry Aronowitz where are you?.I am the editor of the Jerusalem Post website, and live in Israel. I have been here four years with my family.I tell my 8-year-old son Wel-Met stories all the time: how we built the stage behind Unit 2 in 1965, how we built the shower house for Pioneers in 1970. I dont tell him some of the other stories yet: first kisses, Western Trip anti-Semitism....

Message: It is not the length of life that matters. It is THE DEPTH!! And thanks to you, my incredible Wel-Met and Camp Sternberg friends, our reunion was the GRAND CANYON of emotional experiences. My body returned to Texas last Monday, but my heart remains at Birch Lodge, awaiting the return of my big brother Alan, my roommate Todd, and my great friends Laurie, Marty, Beth, and Barbara. As far as another reunion is concerned, just tell me where and when. I am there!!! By the way, if anyone revisits the camp at Narrowsburg and sees my heart wandering around, please leave it alone. It is exactly where it belongs. I love you all. Mike 8-23-03

Name: Mike Alterbaum

Email: mike_alterbaum@msn.com

City: The Woodlands

Message: Twice in the past year, old Wel-Met friends -- Debby Kaplan, Lucia Vassallo and Joe Bleshman -- all mentioned this website to me. But it wasnt until Nina Luban emailed me about the reunion I hadnt heard from her since the early 80s! that I really felt compelled to log on. I am sorry I couldnt get to the reunion. I was a counselor at Narrowsburg in 1969 and 1970 and then a PA in 1972 and 1973, all of them wonderful summers. A memory: Enduring endless rain in the summer of 1969 and all of us getting one day off to go to Woodstock. I recall going with Danny Lapidus and Robin Schindler. Its great to see familiar names here: Steve Young, Irwin Moss, Felice, Woody and Mary, Barry Morowitz, Marilyn Brenner, Roz Guterman Roz, if you read this, I cannot believe you ran into Heidi Berman we have been friends since we worked together in Unit 1 in 1969. I was saddened to read of Cliff Langers death. Like Nina Luban, I fondly recall Cliffs great humor and spirit. On a positive note, I am so glad this site exists. Thanks!Ed

Name: Ed Osterman

Email: edosterman@aol.com

City: NY

Message: This is really the first time Ive gotten into the memories area of the site but it wont be my last. My quick post after the reunion was actually posted by my sister Carol after a telephone conversation we had - thanks, Ca - because we lost power again the day after the reunion and I havent been able to get it to load since then. I know I will be back here often. The ties that were reconnected at the reunion are just too strong to wait another 30 years! Fink and Mike Stahl - it was beyond fantastic to see you both. I confess, that I burned way too many brain cells in college. Like Paul Mendelowitz, - hey Paul!- I hope no one does a google on me and finds this post. I confess that I didnt remember that Susan Finfelstein -love ya Finkie!- and I snuck out to Silver Lake to check out the kitchen boys, or that we almost got thrown out of camp after we decided to dump 3 bunks food cause we were really tired of cookouts by the end of the summer. However, I do remember the blankets covering up the lower bunks on rainy days, coming out of Narrowsburg lake looking as if you had never shaved your legs in your life, gettting washed out of our Colorado Springs campsite on 1972 W.T 1 and being so graciously welcomed at Fort Carson where we bopped by the soldiers in our jeans and workshirts -braless-, sitting in a park in Salt Lake City, UT speaking with an ex-con who was telling us that SLC was a real drag of a town while waiting to hear what would happen to Paul Mendelowitz, oh and so many more. WelMet was a big part of my life then and I realize, dead brain cells and all, that it is still a big part of my life now. That we could all meet after so long and connect so quickly even if we didnt know each other back then, speaks volumes about the impact WelMet has had on our lives. Again, many thanks to the wonderful campers and staff at Camp Sternberg. We were welcomed with such open arms.Brett - that was a beautiful post, thank you.Love to you all, Judy

Name: Judy Potashnick

Email: JudySP28@aol.com

City: Garden City

Message: Not for nothing - give me a break, I was staying with my Italian family in NY - just thought you all might like to know that Silver Lake is available for purchase. The details are not known, apparently it is not officially for sale, just available according to some people I spoke to at Narrowsburg. It would kill you to know how little was paid for Narrowsburg at the time of sale, because they were just trying to get rid of it. I was told it was the price of a house. If only we had known! I doubt Silver Lake would be so thrifty a purchase with all that is now planned for the Catskill area. But wouldnt it be nice??? Please post the address of Camp Sternberg so those of us who would like to send thank yous can do so. Thanks!

Message: I hold in my hand a new book authored by 1970 Western trip 2 camper Alan Abbey. It is a short ,64p, wonderful tribute to Ilan Ramon and the other Columbia astronauts. Alan lives in Isreal, with wife & three kids, and is a VP at the Jerusalem Post. I found the book by searching on Alans name at Amazon.com. Its title is Journey of Hope.It is wonderful reaching out to yall from Texas--Eric

Message: To all of you who have offered such generous and heartfeltthanks - well I want to just say - A BIG THANK YOU RIGHTBACK! I know that Mike will agree with me when I say, thatwe may have provided a structure for the reunion, but YOUALL created the magic. There were so many beautifulspontaneous moments that could never have been planned and Iam so touched at what a great group we are! All weekend wedid not hear one complaint and I saw the gift that Wel-Metgave us. We were able to create so much out of so littleduring our summers at camp and that contentment andgratitude was reflected in everyones ease. I am sorry thatI did not get to spend time with each and every one of you,but I know we are all family whether or not we personallyknow each other. This past week I have been walking between2 worlds and somehow the Wel-Met world seems more real. Iwas totally ready to pitch a tent on the Narrowsburgcampground and just stay, it still feels like home. So thebottom line is - does anyone want to do this again? -Laurie 8.22.03

Name: Laurie Kline

Email: urvashi@catskill.net

City: Hurleyville

Message: I have the same experience as Nancy Garfinkle- I often cannot seem to log on to the message board- it often says connectiontimed out or some other bizarre statement. also, Brett, that was a beautiful piece that you posted- really quite amazing and touching - see you all soon I hope!

Name: dean weber

Email: deanchi123@aol

City: westbury

Message: Hi,all. The most wonderful weekend - a magical connection with old friends and new - a once in-a-lifetime experience generating feelings and passions unlike anything Ive ever felt before. Mike and Laurie, thank you SOOOO much for making all of us so happy and allowing us to connect with dear friends and relive the best times of our lives. Also, a special thank you to Camp Sternberg and its campers for so warmly and graciously welcoming and hosting us with open arms. Great to see that the spirit lives on in Narrowsburg.The inner glow that I experienced this weekend and still feel - one that I know is shared by all of us who participated - is so intense that it will last for a long. long time. I hope we can keep this special feeling and bond going by staying in touch and connecting with more of our old Wel-Met buddies.Rapp, Jane, Roz and Ira - I feel so close to you guys and I will forever treasure the time we spent together. Bennie, great to see you - your smile and spirit just seem to get stronger. Vermont, a place where you and I have many shared memories, clearly agrees with you. Suzi, spending time with you was so poignant - it was beautiful to feel the love that you have for Cliff - and Im so happy that we could connect and remember how special and full of life Cliffie was! As Ira put it so well, Cliff lives on in our hearts forever. Hank, great to reconnect and reminisce about that wild and wacky summer of 73 and Marvin. Great shmoozing with Nina and Malva and Steve Young and rekindling Kew Gardens memories with Dan Friedmann and Mike Siehs. And just delightful to be with all of you and share the Wel-Met spirit that brings the inner child in all of us to life with a vengeance. Its like a drug but what would I know about that subject? of which you just want more and more!!! Love, Steve

Name: Steve Leipzig

Email: sleipzig@coleschotz.com

City: Allendale

Message: So once again that boy walked through those hallowed gates and his head turned to see the field of dreams where his youth played out his greatest games. The well worn paths so often trod upon, through woods familiar yet distant now the many years past. Cool and summoning on a summers afternoon only too soon to emerge into the dazzling sunlight complete with the aged wooden enclaves lined up to receive him for each successive year of his growth. Walking amidst his memories, his recollections of sights and sounds came flooding back in a torrent, an upheaval. Painted on a canvas for time memorial, faces and voices, sweet songs and tears of resolution. Slowly the years turned back their soft covered haze and as he journeyed, each step found pathways deeper into the threads of life that bind each of us to subconscious thought. The droplets of rain, the waters edge, the stage of performances past, the markings of time all apparent yet ignored in the resurrection of dreams unspoken, long forgotten, wished upon fantasies clear now and complete. And in all this turmoil, all this wonder of reconnection, the power and the force and the feelings now frothing and bubbling at the surface for all to see, the most amazing discovery of all right there surrounding this boy was the thundering presence of all those who shared the time and memories and lifetime. Each and every one. Thank you all, for without you it would have withered and died. Your spirit made it alive forever and always.

Name: Brett Finkelstein

Email: docbrett@aol.com

City: safety harbor

Message: August 22. For some reason my computer has prevented me from logging on to this site since the reunion, which has been frustrating, because I really want to send gigantic e- hugs and kisses to Mike and Laurie. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for having made the reunion possible!! I left the weekend filled with love for people I knew and once loved, and for people I had just met, and for my parents for sending me to camp, and for my siblings who shared my experience. I will confess to still being very emotional about the whole thing. I dont know if its sadness of an irretrievable past or the joy of a retrievable past filled with indelible memories. Anyway, its a paradox I am feeling blessed to encounter. I love you all, my Wel-Met family! xxx Nancy

Name: Nancy Garfinkel

Email: nanagarfin@aol.com

Message: Mike and Laurie, I didnt know you before the reunion but now I feel that I know you for years. Your warmth and hard work will never be forgotten. Thanks for one of the greatest weekends of my life!

Name: Laurie Weinbaum Herman

Email: fherman894@aol.com

City: Albuquerque

State: NM

Message: The cost of a Wel-Met sweatshirt: 50The cost of a room at the Nevele: 179 per person per niteThe cost of a weekend meeting and remeeting old Wel-Met soulmates: PRICELESS!My most heartfelt gratitude to all those people who inspired, planned, and participated in our little gettogether. And a special THANKS to the administration, staff and campers at Camp Sternberg for your graciousness and warmth you have truly exemplified the mitzvah of hachnosas orchim -- welcoming guests.

Name: Mark Rothstein

Email: markr@snet.net

City: New London

Message: Is that the Harvey Levine,responding to Ehrenberg, who was a Unit 4 PA my very own PA in 1968 ?

Name: Cliff Weber

Email: cweber@hhk.com

City: yorktown heights

Name: Dan Friedmann

Email: friednak@yahoo.com

City: Chappaqua

Message: Ive completed posting the pictures I took from Sundays gathering at the Narrowsburg site. The server these are on is not high speed so patience may be required at times. Enjoy!http:beta.tribecatables.comDans-StuffWelMet- Aug172003.htmRegards,dan

Message: Another message from someone who cant stop smiling since my day in Narrowsburg! To walk through old haunts with Judy Potashnick, and finally confess to her that I got the lead in one of our plays because I was fooling around with the counselor who was the director, to have her sister Carol laugh with us about all the mischief she remembers us getting into, to have Mike Stahl to confirm how ungracious we probably would have been if a bunch of 40 plus year-olds had invaded our summer, and to truly believe that his curls look BETTER white than they did brown, and to just be strolling past the lake, the bunks, past the old infirmary.... life is good with old friends. And to Debbie Karlitz, I dont think our paths crossed at camp, but I read your posting, and LAUGHED because I kept hearing a setence I hadnt heard in 30 years over and over on Sunday: Oh, youre BRETTS sister....!!! Still dont know what it meant, either then...OR NOW!!! Finkie-August 20.

Name: susan finkelstein

Email: anothersfink@aol

City: westport

State: ct

Message: Thanks to all for a magical weekend.It was so special I am stilled stunned by the whole thing. To feel so close to people after 25-35 years of separation was just beyond comprehension. The instant reconnect to so many after so long was like nothing I had ever experienced. There are far to few events in life that provide such a rush of sincere emotions...This to is now a permanent part of the Wel-Met experience and it to cannot be taken away.Enjoy it!!!!Frog

Name: Frog

Email: Frogjin@aol.com

City: Briarcliff

Message: August 19th 2003 - I wish to echo the words of many. The weekend was wonderful. The strange bittersweet taste of good times remembered from long ago and the obvious joy of the girls from Camp Sternberg. I must say that I was continually struck by the open and friendly nature of our welcome. I seriously doubt that Wel-Met would have treated a group from Camp Utopia with such open arms. Maybe if they had Laurie and Mike as their representatives. As Russell says below. The great time at the Nevele and Wel-Met was followed by an even greater high when we stopped by the home of Don Main and gave a very old man a chance to tell some stories and be treated with great respect and love. To those who know Don, I suggest that you add him to your vacation postcard list. Just send greetings from around the globe and wish him well. As we learned at the reunion, everyone likes to know that they are remembered. Don Main s address is: Don Main Good Life Mobile Home Park 24 Denise Road LIBERTY NY 12754 . The spirit of Wel-Met lives.Mitch

Name: Mitch Edelstein

Email: mitch_edelstein@yahoo.com

City: Saratoga Springs

Message: Madelyn formerly Steinhauer, now Collinsand I attended the reunion this weekend. Each morning now we wake up and say so, did you dream about it again too? Thanks to all we saw at the Nevele who told my oldest son that I used to play ball now he knows I wasnt always old, bald, & lame.What can I say - to return to the happiest place, the happiest times, the greatest memories. While saddened that not everyone could be there and you Larrys know who I mean, it was great to really re-connect with Lee Schaefer, Larry Karst, Paul S., Robbi, Roberta, Carol, Roz, Robert Cohn. Weirder still was to have the two times collide - the camper times and the counsellor year. CAnt believe Ira & Steve L. even remembered me! Probably knew me cause I bunked with Al Marvin Gunther.It will be a long, long time before the glow of this weekend fades. Aand like many of us, Im looking forward to the next one.To our organizers - theres a special place in heaven for you...

Name: Hank Collins

Email: Hcollins@coopererving.com

City: Averill Park

Message: In answer to Mr.Ehrenbergs memories, Im reminded how my co counselor, Chuck, handled a campers similar experiences in Unit 5 , 1965. Chuck was as much a goofy hippie as you could find , so Ill include a translation at the bottom.Hey, man , you need to, like, MELLOW OUT , maybe camp isnt, like, your bag, but thats YOUR reality, man. Maybe, you could , like, cop to being bugged by something without havin to lay a bummer on everyone, you dig ? You need to do your OWN thing, man, and quit bein such a drag.Translation- If you cant enjoy the Wel-Met experience,dont ruin everyone elses good time.As inclusive as Wel-Met is , it might not be for everyone , and we understand that. Sometimes we need to let others have whats important for them , and then try find out what it is thats important for us. Harvey Levine

Name: Harvey Levine

Email: harvl@aol.com

Message: I cant remember what year I was in Barryville but I do not remember it fondly. Funny story. I was in Hebrew school on Sunday morning and we had just seen a fim on the Shoah, holocaust. That day my parents tell me Im being sent to camp. I remember the feeling of horror that never went away. I do remember one staff memeber, a Dutch guy named Joop who was nice to me. For me it was not pleasant.I know I was not the only Gay youth there, but it sure felt like it. Sorry to bring down the page, but these are my memories.

Name: Ronald Ehrenberg

Email: looli@swissinfo.org

City: Zrich

Message: Well, what can I say about my weekend except -when can we all do it again- The most touching part came late Sunday afternoon when Ben Wax, my brother Mitchell and I made a suprise visit to see Don Main at his home in Liberty, NY.Don Main for those of you who didnt know him was the head of Facilaties Maintenance for all three camps and the N.Y. offices to boot. He use to drive around camp in some type of fairly new, as opposed to the rest of the vehicles at Wel-Met, four wheel drive International jeep always checking up on all of us. He taught me how to be a carpenter when I was in Pioneers and we had the task of relocting Pioneers from the hill behind the admin building to the back of unit four. He taught me how to drive trucks and take care of them and most of all taught me that I needed to be responsible enough to get my work done on my own. He is now 77 years old ,has cancer cant remember the finish to all the stories he has about Wel-Met and all the great people who passed thru his camp, after all he lived there year round. Don showed us some great photos including one of Beth Goldberg in a baby carriage year 1957 or 58 I forget. If any of you who remember Don like Benny Mitch and I do please write him and let him know what he meant to you. It would be a great mitzvah to do. My brother Mitch will post Dons address soon along with some photos we took with him at his favorite Greek Diner. Just one last thing for this posting Turtle where in Atlanta is Missy Doner and what is her married name. Thanks for the memories Ruscal

Email: lbv3475@fdn.com

Message: All the emotions of a whirlwind weekend are finally starting to sink in on me, to be savored now for a lifetime.Mike and Laurie, you gave us all a wonderful gift.To have my eldest son finally meet the people Ive spoken so highly of for years, and to have him actually see the camp, is of immeasurable importance to me. The only one he missed meeting was Alan Rappaport,that incomparable,legendary rogue, AKA-The Rapper Dapper,poet philosopher, man about town, confidante and bon vivant. That piece of unfinished business remains to be attended to, but otherwise the time was well spent, though all too short.Roz, you may be small in stature but youre long on heart,it was a thrill to be with you again. Barabara S, we go back a long way , it was great to see you, and we must set up a West Coast reunion for California Wel-Metters, and anyone else as crazy as we were to fly three thousand miles at the drop of a hat. Suzie L., Cliff lives on in the hearts of all who knew him and loved him, you above all others, and he can have no finer memorial than that.Davia L., our Burlingame Wel-Met club just increased its membership from 2 to 3, as my son now considers himself one of us. Jane,words almost fail me when I think of your sparkle ,your energy, your kindness and all that knowing you has meant to me for more than thirty years. Leips, we spent our first day together in nearly twenty years as though it might be our last, an all out, hell for leather, balls to the wall blast that lasted for eighteen hours in one sense, but will last a lifetime in another, and literally ranged over hundreds of square miles. I got back into Frisco last night at 3 in the morning, a little the worse for wear and tear, feeling , as we say out West,like I was Rode Hard And Put Away Wet.But, I would jump at the chance to do it all again soon. Another great Wel-Met experience to go with all the others.

Name: Ira Abrams

Email: iabrams@prodigy.net

Message: It was great seeing everyone Larry, Hank, Madilyn, Roz, Roberta, Carol, Suzie, Judi, Robbi, Rob, Illene and Rodger at our Wel-Met Reunion on July 18th. Had a great time and brought back many memories.

Name: Lee Schaffer

Email: lee731@optonline.net

City: Randolph

Message: Dearest Laurie and Mike...you pulled it off! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. And thank you to all the wonderful campers who took the time from their regular schedules to have made this past weekend truly memorable. My only regret is that I didnt get to connect with thosse of you I knew in camp and those of you I have heard about. The few days flew by like hours. For those of you who need a quick fix until your pictures are developedcirculated here is a site Jono provided with some of his pictures...http:wifp.orgwelmetreunion2003.htmlI hope to see you all soon. with much love, Lee

Name: Leslie--Lee Mostel

Email: lsmostel@optonline.net

City: Stamford

Message: What a great weekend! I want to add my thanks to Mike and Lori for setting the whole thing up. Great seeing everyone- Mike,Lori, Barbara, Ed K I gave Frank your number,Marty E., Scott, Al, Geri, Mark,Judy,Mike S.,all of the Barn Boys, Melanie,Barry Morowitz who really did seem to remember everyone!-everyone. Todd, Helen- our trip to B-ville Saturday afternoon was so much fun and will stay with me forever. Lets not let it be another 25 years before we all get together again!

Message: I no longer go to Wel-Met Camp so pity me!!!First, Laurie, thank you for the AMAZING job you did to create a WONDERFUL reunion. Michael, it all began with you...none of this would have happened if it were not for your vision and your website. Dear Wel-Metters, This is an open love letter to All of you. An unashamed expression of my deepest affection. To Michael, Laurie, and Evan, who mean more to me than ANY words could EVER reflect, I miss you already. To Cliff, Gregg, and Brett who began and ended the reunion for me with special moments of laughter, support and wisdom unequalled...thank you, guys! To Richie, Jayne, Dean, Scott, Danny, Hildie, and Felice from WT3, seeing you again has also touched my heart in countless ways. To Ira A, Marty B, Todd S, Mark B, Eddie K, Chuck, Roberta, my fellow TACs Suzi and Judi, being with each of you such a short time was a treat that gave me a sugar-high, but left me craving more! To people I learned from , like Barry Morowitz no, Barry, I will NOT grow up! and Stephen Young, you are still my idols. To old Elmont acquaintances who are now new friends, to formerly unknown names on the website who I took delight in meeting, to people I never even knew existed before the reunion but who I am now missing the company of...I love you all. THANK YOU FOR THE TIME OF A LIFETIME. -Barbara

Message: Ive been away for 2 days & have just had the chance to log on to this site. Like the rest of you, I thoroughly enjoyed the reunion. It meant so much to reconnect with such special people from those formative years. And all these years later, I still felt the warmth and connection. What a treat to see so many friends from 1971 Western Trip 3, Mike, Laurie, Barbara, Hildie, Cliff, Dean, Scott, Richie, Danny, & Felice. The reminiscing and photos were priceless. And it was great to see friends from my staff days like Suzie, Frog, Marty, Eric, Carol and all the rest of you. My facial muscles were aching from all the smiling, my voice was hoarse and I was so wound up, I couldnt fall asleep when I got home Sat. night. My husband bemoaned the fact that he had no comparable experience in his youth - I think few people have. Long live Wel-Met & the memories it created. And of course, special thanks to Mike & Laurie.

Name: Jayne Schachter Walco

Email: jswalco@optonline.net

City: Kinnelon

Message: ...just beginning to catch my breath.....terrific weekend.....thanks, Peach and Laurie..Barry Morowitz

Name: Barry Morowitz

Email: bamo44@aol.com

City: Holbrook

Message: Wel-Met still provides me lots of joy. It was such an unpretentious place with such amazing characters. The early 70s were sloppy days. Bad clothes, bad hair and great fun there. Very loose and unstructured.I remember being on a rowboat tethered to eight or nine others in a circle with everyone about 5 per boat singing Jeremiah was a Bullfrog. Now, is that corny or what?The sports werent bad. There were always some great atheletes some were the real deal inner-city kids. The facilities, though, were lacking.I remember Pioneer camp as being particularly liberated. One girl counselor was shtupping a camper. Some of the girls smoked. Streaking...I was also on the Western trip 1977, I think. So poorly organized. More time on the bus than anywhere good. Still, such good friends.

Name: Adam Siegel

Email: asiegel@smith.edu

City: Northampton

Message: Hey and hi to all .... so sorry i missed the reunion. . . i was going up until thursday and then my plans got cancelled. i am glad that it was so wonderful and of course I was there in spirit. I hear from todd siegel that Barry shared a story about my father the last day they were together,something about about a card game. would love to hear the details from Barry who apparently has remembered everyone and everything. Have no idea what my dad was doing before his fateful trip home. so, i hope you remember me too!Love to all glad the ties and bonds of wel-met are still strong

Name: beth goldberg

Email: bgold37@adelphia.net

City: gloucester

Message: I lived in Wel - Met Camps, both the Narrowsburg section and the Barryville section. I grew up in the camp, I went to camp in the summer, and shoveled snow and played in it in the winter. My father and mother both worked there for years, for the most part of the beginning of my life started at the camp. Swimming, camp fires, rocky mountain toast, making leantus, see-saws out of trees, sasafrass teayou guys know what I mean. And I love the pictures that you placed ont he web site. The picture of my father I have never seen before, and some of people I havent seen for many many years, it brought back some of the best memories of my life. thanks

Name: melissa anthony

Email: pandora298@yahoo.com

City: liberty

Message: August 18, 2003. Memories and longing have brought me back to Narrowsburg many, many times during the last three decades, but always in imagination only. Finally standing, actually and in the flesh, at the Unit 1 crossroads with the dining hall behind me and the pine forest ahead, brought joy that was absolute and incomparable. Warm, warm thanks to all who made this possible from a grateful, tearful and deliriously happy Wel-Meter. To Miriam, Gitte and the other beautiful women of Camp Sternberg, the spirit of Wel-Met does, indeed, live on in Narrowsburg. Your warmth and generosity to strangers, your commitment to making this a better world and, of course, your love of the woods - its the legacy. Thank you.

Name: Nina Lubabn

Message: August 18, 2003. Memories and longing have brought me back to Narrowsburg many, many times during the last three decades, but always in imagination only. Finally standing, actually and in the flesh, at the Unit 1 crossroads with the dining hall behind me and the pine forest ahead, brought joy that was absolute and incomparable. Warm, warm thanks to all who made this possible from a grateful, tearful and deliriously happy Wel-Meter. To Miriam, Gitte and the other beautiful women of Camp Sternberg, the spirit of Wel-Met does, indeed, live on in Narrowsburg. Your warmth and generosity to strangers, your commitment to making this a better world and, of course, your love of the woods - its the legacy. Thank you.

Name: Nina Lubabn

Message: oops. the correct address for the pictures ishttp:users.erols.comjzmlaWel-Met_Reunion_2003.html Remeber to add the forward slashes after http: and between com and jzmla and between jzmla and Wel-Met

Name: Jono

Email: jz@wifp.org

City: Washingon, DC

Message: Hi Everyone, 81803 5pmJust got back and couldnt wait to put some pictures of the REUNION on the web. Go to http:users.erols.comjzmlaWel-Met_Reunion_2003.html for a taste of the Camp as it was yesterday and some faces from Wel-met Past as they were on Saturday. Anyone who would like to send me digital photos to put onto the web please do so! If you have conventional snapshots developed on disc dont hesitate to email me those as well. Send detailed captions if possible. It was great to see everybody and hug most of you. Ill get the rest next time! My heart is too full and my body too restless to write much now but I will later on.

Name: Jono Zeitlin

Email: jz@wifp.org

City: , DC

Message: mike and laurie thank you from the bottom of my heart for stopping time, and allowing us all to go back, and reconnect with our wel-met friends, who meant , and still do mean so much to us now. seeing the old photos, hearing stories, and just catching up with eachothers lives was an amazing and beautiful thing..... hugs to all jane

Name: jane fradkin furst

Email: janiegirl3@aol.com

City: livingston

State: nj

Message: What a wonderful time! It was so great seeing Finkie and Michael again and I also loved meeting so many amazing people that I hadnt known before, but now truly feel are my friends. Thanks again to Mike and Laurie.

Name: Judy Potashnick

Email: judysp28@aol.com

City: Garden City

Message: The Wel-Met reunion was priceless. Maybe thats why I wasnt 10 minutes from the Nevele returning to Long Island when I started crying. I mentioned to Mike Alterbaum as we were driving up that even though I only knew about 8 people who would be there, I would somehow feel very connected to every other person who attended the reunion as well. That is exactly what happened. Every person was like a family member. The vibes screamed familiarity. The whole weekend just took me back to a place that was truly as great as it gets. Even though my sons are 20 and 16, a few seconds ago they were 13. Thats why I was crying. Because a few seconds ago I was 13. I was 11 at Silverlake, 12 at Barryville and 13 at Narrowsburg. Those days were carefree, have a great time days that if I could relive I would suck up every second and stretch the time more effectively. You know, Dont know what you got till its gone trip! So, I got emotional. I had to leave early Sunday morning so its a good thing I covered the Narrowsburg site back in January. The memories I take from this weekend are sweet. Great bunch of people. The jam session in Eddies room after midnight into Sunday morning was exceptional. A huge congratulatory shoutout to Laurie and Mike on pulling off a successful reunion.

Name: Jeffrey Goldberg

Email: jazzycrows@aol.com

City: Old Bethpage

Message: Its hard to believe that after all of these months of having this weekend circled on my calendar, it has fleetingly come and gone. I had a fantastic time reminiscing with old friends and making new ones. To Richie, Barbara, Hildie, Jayne, and Felice, it was so great to see that all of you have barely aged after 30 years, and that you have remained true to your values. To Danny, Greg, Cliff S, and Dean, it was great to party wyou guys, and to discuss matters way too bizarre to be addressed in this guestbook. To Chuck and Eddie, it was amazing to hear you play together, and to sound as if you were back at camp. To Mark, thanks for sharing a room with me if we have another reunion, Id be happy to be your roomie again. To all of those others that I have not mentioned, but spoke with over the weekend, it was great to see so many of you, and to reconnect with old names and faces. And finally to Mike and to Laurie, thanks for keeping all of us in touch, and for making this glorious weekend a reality.

Name: Scott Gollop

Email: scott.gollop@wcb.state.ny.us

City: Delmar

Message: So, by Thursday I was miserable I wouldnt be a part of this reunionask Helen Gitelson, she listened to me mope as she packed her bag! Spent the weekend sad and depressed, and now as I read the reviews Im wondering - Mike & Laurie, can we can make this a yearly event? Id be happy to help coordinate it all, honestly, just please tell me I can be a part of this next summer!

Name: Roberta Grubman

Email: bertgrubman@aol.com

City: Carmel

Message: WORDS WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DESCRIBE THE WONDERFUL WEEKEND I SPENT WITH WEL-MET FRIENDS!!! THANK YOU MIKE AND LAURIE FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!!THE TRIP TO CAMP STERNBERG WAS INCREDIBLE!WATCHING THE PILGRIMAGE LEAVE SILVERLAKE ON THEIR WAY TO THE PROMISED LAND WAS TRUELY AWESOME!!!SOME HAVE DESCRIBED WEL-MET AS A CULT!!WELL, THIS IS A CULT WHICH I AM PROUD TO ANNOUNCE I AM A MEMBER OF!!!!CANT WAIT TO SEE EVERYONE AGAIN !!!!!THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ATTENDED THIS AWESOM EVENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name: wendy wittner

Email: wenwit2@aol.com

City: worcester

Message: Im not usually at a loss for words... but its hard to sum up how Im feeling right now. Lets just say that it was an incredible experience to step back in time and go to a place where I couldnt have imagined to have ever gone again. For me this Wel-Met week-end was an amazing, exhilarating and emotional ride. Thank you Judi, Frog, Richie, Sorin, Joan and Eddie for being there...we had all shared so many summers together long ago. How completely wonderful it was to see so many others from years ago too...I thought everyone looked great!! After Narrowsburg camp, a few of us Barryvillers drove the 15 miles there and were able to sit on the big rock and look out on the lake that we had spent so many years swimming in...truly amazing. Park Bar looked very much the same too...had to make a stop! ...thank you to Steve, Ira, Rapp and Jane for making sure that you found me....Cliff was there with us, I just know it. Youll never know what you did for me this week-end...Ill never forget it... Barry Morowitz..you and your wife are also very special. Mike and Laurie.. thank you for new and wonderful memories.

Name: Suzanne Langer Schultz

Email: Beachbumsrls

City: Oceanside

Message: Just a note from Camp Sternberg to say what an exhilerating day was for US as well. It gave the staff and campers as well an opportunity to see firsthand the value of the camp experience that they are enjoying. They see that friendships and memories that they are forging now will truly be everlasting. It is not just an abstract idea. Miriam Grossman I dont know if I am AA,PA,UD Assistant to the Director.

Name: Miriam Grossman

Email: ohr@j51.com

City: Narrowsburg

Message: Thanks Mike and Laurie. Being there brought a deep peace and contentedness that cannot be explained to or understood by those not lucky enough to have attended camp.

Name: cliff weber

Email: cweber@hhk.com lawboss76@optonline.net

Message: Now my family truly believes that my name at camp really was Felices sister! Seriously, today was truly magical. They say you can never go back home, but whoever said that was wrong. It was wonderful sharing memories with the people that I met. Perhaps the best part was seeing how the Camp Sternberg girls and staff love the camp as much as we did. The pride that they take and the joy that they share was incredible. The spirit of Wel-Met truly lives on. I loved talking to the girl who sleeps in the very bed - perhaps the same mattress! - that I slept in in Bunk 65 in 1970. Perhaps tonight we will all dream of being out on our pow-wow sites, on beds of fragrant pine needles. Thanks, Mike and Laurie for a wonderful day. 8-17-03

Name: Debbie Karlitz

Email: xbklynites@aol.com

City: New City

Message: 8-17-03 I have absolutely no voice left tonight after a wonderful weekend of talking, singing and happily screaming with long lost friends. Probably only another Wel-Met person can understand the feeling of joy and of the warmth in Sullivan County the past two days. Reconnecting with fantastic old friends, making new ones, just seeing all the faces and hearing the voices from the past, not to mention the incredible experience of walking through Narrowsburg - WOW!! And the amazing staff and kids at Camp Sternberg, being so welcoming and interested in our experiences and waving goodbye to us on the road out of camp and being typical Jewish mothers and feeding us. Thanks so very much to Mike and Laurie!! you guys are amazing - and anyone and everyone else for planning all this and thanks to all who attended...I love you all.

Email: carolann218@yahoo.com

Message: Thank you Mike and Laurie for all your hard work, it was fantastic.Despite the horrible traffic to LaGuardiathanks again Michael and the two hours on the runway I too am still smiling. So great to reconnect with Davia, Laurie, Elysa, Diane,Jay,Jono, Phil, Al Breen, Alan Brown, David,Sam,Roger, Nancy,Ellen and sharing memories with new folks...couldnt be better! The Sternberg campers and staff were delightful, the camp more beautiful than I remember......cant wait to see the pictures.Shelley

Name: Shelley Stahl

Email: shells6251@comcast.net

City: Marblehead

State: Ma

Message: Its been one day since I returned home from a very special day at the Nevele visiting with Wel-Met campers. Like people in recovery, they may not be campers at Wel-Met campers today but they will always be Wel-Met campers. I met people I must have passed on the shady road who were a year or too older but were who were no doubt smelling the same smells and experiencing the same freedom of camp summer days as I . Whats great is that I met a group of wonderful people whom I liked instantly and would love to see again and again. Even my little girl enjoyed the warmth shown to her throughout the day. Paul, thank you for picking up the pieces of the past and putting together the big picture. I loved you then as a twelve year old girl with a crush the size of Candada and I love you still as a friend I somehow lost and found. Myndi, you are amazing. I want to know you in todays life. And Sorin, this is written so soon after for you to have my email address. Id love to catch up. Helen, if you read this this is strting to sound very Oscar-nightish Im sorry we missed each other. Id like to get in touch and even get together since were so close. On the heels of a blackout I feel very bright and clear. Thank you Wel-Met for giving me something on which to build my life.Julia Van LoonJulie Gootnick

Name: Julia Van Loon nee Julie Gootnick

Email: jfbcafe@yahoo.com

City: Port Washington

Message: i arrived home at about 5o I had a great time reconnecting with so many people. This was the best weekend that Ive had in a long time. Thanks to Mike and Laurie, and thanks to everyone for an awesome time. Greg,barbara, Judy, Danny, Cliff, Eddie, Scott, Hildie, JayneChuck, Can it get any better?

Name: dean weber

Email: deanchi123@aol.com

City: westbury

Message: I just endured a lot of painful traffic getting home....and I cant stop smiling. That was unbelievable. The impromptu cheering and singing with the Sternberg girls in Unit 4 was glorious. The smell of the bunks and the ferns in the forest after the rains was a true rush. Thanks Finkie and Judy for being there. It feel like another beginning. My wife looks great in the Wel-Met sweatshirt!Thank You thank you thank you Mike and Laurie

Name: Michael Stahl

Email: mjstahl@yahoo.com

City: Montclair

Message: Wow ... what a great experience! Many thanks to all those who organized and arranged the visit today to the Narrowsburg WelMet site. I greatly enjoyed stepping back into my memories of great times at WelMet, and being around so many other WelMet alumni. A special thanks to Russel Edelstein for bringing his 1969 W.T. 2 scrapbook! We may have been the only ones from that trip there in person, but everyone was there in spirit. And the kind people who operate Camp Sternberg were extraordinarily gracious in allowing us to stroll back in time.

Message: that was fun... i think ill come back in my next life as a young, orthodox girl.... seriously, thanks again to mike and laurie for everything !! it was a great weekend... seeing all those barn boys in the same place at the same time will stay with me forever...todd

Name: todd siegel

Email: tasny100@aol.com

City: ny

Message: Guess I was feeling left out and envious about not making the reunion, so I camped out here for awhile last night and tonight and sent out a few e-mails and made a few phone calls. It was great to hear back from Patti Gorman and Alan Breen hope to see you both in Seattle fairly soon and Leslie Chandler. Alvin Lewis and Laurie Waterfront - I apologize for not getting back to you, but I lost your e- mail addresses. Now, I pulled them off of here, so I will write. It was great talking to Emily Saltz in Boston and Alan Grodin in Atlanta. Also talked to Roger Lazoff recently. Lucky for me, I can always call Kenny Jurist whenever I cant remember someone or something that I should from those days, and he can always help me out!!!! Guess those Park Bar nights and others took their toll after all! Anyway, my husband is right - we are cult members. Aint it grand?!?!?!?!? I get to see Amy Reich next week, so Ill get a Wel-Met fix. Barry and Ilene - its been too long. Lets hook up soon.P.S. - I was glad to see Fran or Debbie or someone posted about the Green Dust. That stuff rocked. I wonder if it still exists, or was done in by the EPA.

Message: Echoing what Rich Shapiro just posted, Gerry and I had an incredible day at the reunion. Absolutely blown away by some of the people we havent seen in sooo long. Wish I could be there tomorrow, but the schedule doesnt allow for it. Thanks brother Mike and Laurie for the work you both put into pulling this off. I feel sorry for those who will find this site after the reunion and wished that they had been able to be there. I wont begin to list those people who were there today but the pictures that will inevidibly end up on this site will tell the story. Starting something new here, if it works. Putting the date in the country box. Wont know if it works until I hit the Add to guestbook button. Great seeing all that I did and look forward to seeing those of you that we missed this weekend. Alan

Name: Alan Alterbaum

Email: alterbma@computer.net

City: Yorktown Hts.

Message: I just got back from an unbelievable day at the Reunion. After thirty two years it was great to reconnect with many old friends. I also met many new people from baryville and narrowsburg. It was a multicamp reunion. Hopefully we will have another. Mike and Laurie did a fantastic job - thanksFor those who did not make it the Nevelle has food almost on par with wel-met. Thanks again It was great to see you guys I cant wait to see the pictures Rich

Name: Richard Shapiro

Email: RCHSHP@AOL.COM

City: Livingston

Message: Attended Narrowsburg 1965 - 1968 and was on Western Trip 4 1969. By the way to Ruscal Edelstein Misy Donner is in Atlanta. Our counselor in Unit 5 was Mark Lacher where he is I do not know and his frind was Mel Ochsner? Barry wasanother counselor from that time though I heard he passed away Other names and memories go with Martha, Alison, Ribit Risit Robert Rosette Mel with th english accent Karp and Fran estrin. The foursome at that time was myself, you, shed and alan policar. Drop me aline.

Name: Richard Beerman Turtle

Email: Rbeer475112aol.com

City: Parkland

State: Fl.

Message: Hi- I was at Barryville from 66-69 and then on the western trip in 1970, trip three I think. Wel-Met definately sent me off in the direction I took, camping & outside fun to Geology & then Geophysics, which I still do full-time. Im also a dog show judge.After Wel-Met I life-guarded at Circle Lodge, where I found out that we were all literally the children of Jewish Socialist organizations. Welfare Metropolitan...who would of thought it. Of course I knew there was social conciousness in the background somewhere. The only fellow camper Im in touch with is Alan Abbey, who lives with his family in Isreal now. If you show dogs, come see me sometime when Im judging around the country. Wel-Met holds most of my good childhood memories, it was just a different world. Kids with freedom & outdoors & friends & fun.--Eric

State: Tx

Message: Attended Narrowsburg 1965 - 1968 and was on Western Trip 4 1969.

Name: Richard Beerman Turtle

Email: Rbeer475112aol.com

State: Fl.

Message: Attended Barryville in the early to mid 60s for the three week sessions. Had great times canoeing etc. would like to hear from people from that time period

Name: Rick Blitz

Email: Rickbz@aol.com

City: massapequa park

Message: Here we are- ready for the reunion weekend. Its Friday night Aug 15th and we stopped by the Nevele and had a chance to talk with a few people. Looking forward to seeing a lot more folks tomorrow and Sunday. We got to meet Mike who put this whole website together. By the way, Mike is in need of more funds to improve the website and get himself out of the red. If you can see your way to senging him a few bucks I know he would appreciate it. His email is mike_alterbaum@msn.com. See you all tomorrow!

Name: Eddie and Paul Podolsky

Email: artona@aol.com and sky357@aol.com

City: na

Message: barryville l962-l966 western trip l967counselor silver lake l968

Name: joan werber

Email: jwdosc@yahoo.comm

City: na

Message: I went to see Bob Dylan last night with Spider, It was the first time we saw each other in 28 or 29 years. We had a blast and felt like we had just seen each other yesterday. Spider and I decided this is like stepping into a wormhole and coming out the otherside with your friends twenty- eight or thirty years later. Mike you have created a wormhole, but best of all you have re-kindled some once special friendships and that is a gift thats hard to quantify. So I think I can speak on behalf of everyone in this guest book, and say THANK YOU MIKE, and its only just begun. WEL-MET the Wonder Years Revisted.David Fried 8-14- 03

Name: David Fried

Email: Dfried1@msn.com

City: Minneapolis

State: mn

Message: Narrowsburg,1969....My first yr at Wel-Met... Summer of Mud, Woodstock, Miracle Mets. We, Spider and I, had a great counselor..Lou Motise Mroz. Awesome guy, could hit a softball a mile. Our asst counselor, Wilhem, tried to teach us soccer, but us little American boys only cared about basketball, softball, and ga-ga. We skipped to Unit 4 in 1970, and began our long Wel-Met legacy of petty crimes, obnoxious behaviour, trouble making, and, of course, discovery of the opposite sex. Im sure it was something in the food...after all, this place was really a multi-year Sociology Experiment...if you dont think so, then why didnt they ever anybody out? We tried to burn the place down..refer to Spider previous post regarding rubber cement, put snakes frogs and fish in kids beds, got our Dutch counselors lost in the woods, yelled obscenities at Camp Directors - sorry Lou L, threw M-80s into lake and cesspool, and under the cover of darkness avoided the dreaded ODs and did unmentionable things with girls. In between, I had a great time and the 10plus months in between was tortuous. Unit 5 in 1971 and Pioneers in 1972, with Spider, Dave F., Alec G., Steve G, Moose, Terran M, Kevin S, Kenny S., and culminating with Western Trip 2 in 1973. I still have a Coors beer mug that I bought in Colorado 30 yrs ago... I just dont fill it with Coors. Still hard to explain Summer Camp to people out here in the western US. Most of people our age that grew up in e western US never went to summer camp and their kids go away for about 1 to 2 weeks at the most. Not even worth trying to explain what 2 teenagers can do on a bus under a blanket.

Name: Steve Sturm

Email: steven.sturm@attbi.com

City: Denver

State: CO

Message: Three days before the big reunion and I finally log onto the Wel-Metcamps web site. Im never in any pictures but I look at the picture page and Im all over the place with Cliff, Mike and Dr. Danny Breitstein. Wonderful.When we drove over to Narrowsburg this past January the memories came racing back. I hadnt been on the property since 1969 and it felt like yesterday. As we covered the grounds from the mess hall to the bunks to the lake, it became clear to me what a remarkable time had been experienced all those years ago. I spent the previous summers at Silverlake and Barryville but my fondest memories are from my days at Narrowsburg. The feelings that engulfed me when I walked into Bunk 95 were over the top. The numbers 95 above the entrance to the bunk looked like they were put up the day before. The bunk beds were positioned the same as I left them in 69. I was recounting to my former bunkmates which in itself was unbelievable,the fact that I was standing there in my bunk with my former bunkmates from 32 years before exactly who was in the bunk with us and who slept where.As Ive been reading the posts from former campmates,Ive come across names that have brought back memories. Eddie Karp, who lived by Fresh Meadows close to Bell Park where I grew up, having a card game at his house where I won money. Danny lost money but reminded me we were going partners. That night I played Danny head on for the winnings and kicked his ass. He was so pissed that when I raided his parents icebox for a sandwich, he charged me. Seeing other names attached to posts remind me of people I havnt thought of in years. The upcoming reunion should be something else.

Name: Jeffrey Goldberg

Email: jazzycrows@aol.com

City: Old Bethpage

Message: When my brother and sister-in-law told me about the site, I was absolutely ecstatic! Weve been searching for a Wel-Met link for years. So, thank you whoever you are, for putting this together and giving all of us the opportunity to relive some of the best summers of our young lives. I went to Barryville for three years - Units 4,5, and Pioneers during the years 1963-65 I think. My cousin also went with me, Richard Fee Fialkow. I was wondering about a few people: Nina Krauthamer sp? and Harvey Berliner. My first steady - ID bracelet and all was Mike Hills. Of course, those one or two weeks meeting at the rock outside the bunk to walk up to the mess hall in those days seemed like a year. But the best was Pioneers. We girls were tight! I remember our summer project was making the outdoor sink area more attractive and with very mod colors we certainly did! And how about Wel-Met itself. We have to give that place credit for being more advanced than most of the country is today! Visits to senior centers, reform schools, discussions what were they called? Forums? on social issues. Another fun experience - sleepouts. Getting a real thick stick to hold the food basket, the jerry can of water, and once you got to your site, staking it out with string. Where else did they teach you how to set up your own latrine hopefully, where no one else would see you in the middle of the night! Another Wel-Met great - sending runners to fill in your weekly events. We would have joint socials with 4-6 tentsbunks if there was enough potential and interest. Those were the days! Too bad the reunion is so soon. Perhaps, it can be set up again for the fall. Id love to see the old place and set my eyes on some familiar faces once again. Thanks for the memories!

Name: Sandy Schwartz

Email: sandrapantorno@hotmail.com

City: Port Jefferson

Message: Diane,I am envious that you have in your possession a book with TAC memories 1967. That summer was incredibly important and formative. I have so many clear memories of the nursing home, South Hills and times at TAC lodge. Remember the song, Oh you beautiful doll? I will be at the reunion. Meeting my brother Michael and were driving up to the Nevele on Saturday and staying over . I have been in touch with Davia, she will be there Sunday Laurie Langer also Sunday just got off the phone with Alan Grodin who will not be there but he said his brother Jerry and Felice will be. Where is Myra,Jane? Marilyn B....have misplaced your email address...will you be at the reunion?Looking forward to the weekend.Shelley

Name: Sheley Stahl

Email: shells6251@comcast.net

City: Marblehead

Message: I just pulled out my Family book from the summer of 1967 -TAC summer. I was reading what everyone wrote, feelin very nostalgic and wondering where you all are - Margot, Jill, Ellem, Terri, Ruthi a counselor, HelenCounselor?, Lauri, Jaydirector?,Carrie,Elysa,Marilyn B.,Jane,Kathy,Barbara,Marilyn,Myra, Niki,Janet,Shelley.Will any of you be at camp on Sunday. I remember that summer fondly and would love to see all of you again. Something sticks in my mind about our discussions of social pot parties.Davia, were we roommates, Birch Lodge - summer of 68? I was a unit clerk in Unit 1. Hellos to Alan Breen, Alan Brown & David GoldmanThanks for the hellos from the Garfinkel Sisters.Does anyone from Unit 4 - summer of 1970 - know anything about Jerry Frain, our unit director. Remember our revoltprotest. Looking forward Sunday and seeing old friends again. Diane

Name: Diane Brawarsky

Email: diane@nystorefixture.com

City: Hasting on Hudson

Message: I spoke with the wonderful Mrs. Greenwald from Camp Sternberg, and she said that they did have to tear down most, but not all, of the Narrowsburg dining room. Basically though, all else remains the same. In fact, she is making it possible for us to PLAY GA-GA IN THE UNIT 1 PAVILION ON SUNDAY!! This will be an amazing weekend. I cannot wait to see everyone. Love to all. Mike

Name: Mike Alterbaum

Email: mike_alterbaum@msn.com

City: The Woodlands

Message: Spider thanks for posting Camp Sternberg website. Now they have a pool!!! Lookng forward to next Sunday. August 10th.

Name: Beth Green

Email: bethlgrn@aol.com

City: Bayside

Message: Beth Green sent this link to me....http:www.campsternberg.org There have been some changes...

Name: Spider

Email: mohlstein@aol.com

City: Old Brookvile

Message: No lame excuses Bandel. See you on Sunday morning if you can get there without taking a nap.

Name: Steven Garfinkel

Email: stevengarfinkel@yahoo.com

City: Larchmont

Message: Spider...Great ideas for Post Tour Activities. Make sure you find me please, I want to make the rounds too...Brett

Name: Brett Finkelstein

Email: docbrett@aol.com

City: Safety Harbor

State: Fl

Message: Dear Old Friends, Just to let you know that unfortunately, I will be away during the reunion. Admittedly, it was a tough choice. Sorry that I may miss seeing old friends and I send you all my very best wishes and lots of love. Mike, thank you for rekindling so many memories and rejoining so many people. I will miss seeing you there. Sorin, I will miss seeing you too. I hope that we can reunite another time. Alan and Gerry, I promise to call soon. And to all with whom I have been back in touch with - I hope that we can find another way to see each other. This site has reassembled our childhoods, our youth and feelings of immortality and power. How seductive is that?! But many of these relationships have and will transcend that initial buzz of memories and it will be warm and wonderful to experience that. Mike, you are a special man, indeed. Again, I will miss you all and send you thousands of kisses and hugs. Jane

Name: Jane Goldschlager

Email: goldschlager@mindspring.com

City: Flushing

Message: Post Sunday camp tour suggestions....Skinners FallsThe Haunted House ...if it is still standing...Roebling Bridge, LackawaxenHike to Eldred ...buy gum, soda, candy...Lake MinnewaskaBear MountainRed Apple RestWhether a BBQ or a nature walk or just hanging out, it seems like it would be a shame to end the day at noon.SpiderAugust 9

City: old brookvile

Message: Steve Sturm, Alan Arronson, David Lichtman and Charles Levenback, wow those are names I havent heard in a few years. Great to see you all made it to the party. Still waiting to see Goldfarbs post pop up. Amy Dicker if you are you there I would love to hear from you.Looking foward to seeing all who can make it on Sunday. Steve, drag the twins , by the hair if you have to ,if they still have theirs.David8803

Name: David Fried

Email: Dfried1@msn.com

City: Minneapolis

State: mn

Message: I attended the Narrowsburg 3 week sessions from 1969-72. This was unit 3 through pioneers. Went on the the Western Trip in 1973, do not recall what trip. During this time, David Lichtman from my home town of Commack was with me as well. Worked in Silverlake from 1974-1975 waiting on the seniors. Showed them my Bar Mitzvah pictures for tips. Those were great years. I remember in August of 1974, Ralph Weeks coming to where we lived and bringing us to his house to watch Nixon resign on television. Scott Gollop, we had some good times. I forgot the name of the guy who we worked for under Ralph. We hooked up at SUNY- Binghampton for a few years as well. Im living in South Florida with my wife and 2 children. I have a good memory, but this site is sensory overload, and Im having trouble remembering alot of names. Hope everyone has a great time at the Neville.

Name: Alan M. Aronson

Email: alansfish1@aol.com

City: Boynton Beach

State: Fla

Message: Alvin, Not sure if you remeber me Leslie Chandler. My best friends in and out of camp were Randy Weintraub and Sandy Soiffer. Sandy had very long hair. I wrote a message about two months ago trying to find them.Randy and I remaind very close until after college when i moved to LA and lost touch. When i read your message I was thrilled. I remeber you as a skinny dark haired kid who had a mad crush on Randy. I would love to find any of these close friends. I have tried different ways but with women it is more difficult because of changed names. I only have fond memories of my time at camp. i would love to hear from you. Leslie

Name: Leslie Chandler Pruce

Email: lpruce@carolina.rr.com

City: Charlotte

State: N.C

Message: OH MY GOD!!!! Ive just spent the last 2 hours reading and reliving Wel-Met! Ive discovered this website - quite by chance - just in time to be flying in to NY for a birthday celebration AT THE NEVELE on AUGUST 16th!! WEIRD! I was in Narrowsburg from 1973 - through Pioneers in 1976, and WT in 1977. I am happy to have discovered a posting from Nina Pearlman Yeckes, whom I have tried to find in Florida, but lost, somewhere along the way. I wish I were in CA so I could pull out my WT album, but a short memory will have to do. I havent seen any postings from Liz Capasso Gulve, Jeff Suss, Michael Kramer, Danny Fishman, ? Giordano, Lenny, Hildy, Mandy, Brandy - dont remember last names, and so many others of those years. Do remember Eddie Karp - dont remember what unit he would have been a counselor in. Do remember Richie Richard Bistrong, but you might not have been in my unit - think your sister was friends with mine were also from hewlett area. My brother, Jeff Rosenberg - AKA Rosie - see post below - was 2 years ahead of me and my sister, Debra Rosenberg, two years behind. It seems like I missed out on what would have been a terrific follow-up to being a camper, being a counselor - as Wel-Met closed after my WT. Glad I got to experience what I did. Have been trying to get back to Wel-Met for years - cant wait to see it again on Sunday!

Name: Susan Rosenberg Blumenfeld

Email: sueblum1@earthlink.net

City: La Canada

Message: Barryville 1969, 1970, 1971 Units 4,5,& Pioneers camper.Narrowsburg 1973 & 1974 Boatgirl 1975 & 1976 Swimming CounselorWestern Trip Counselor 1977

Name: pam rosen

Email: pamelarosenmd@aol.com

Message: barryville 1970-1972, narrowsburg 1974pioneer camp, western trip 1975 , worked until narrowsburg closed

Name: IRIS ROSEN

Email: shorts91@aol.com

Message: NEVELE is Eleven backwards! I think maybe that number had something to do with the number of siblings the owner of the hotel had, or something like that. And maybe she we cant be too politically corrrect was dyslectic.

Name: Ellen Garfinkel Lynn

Email: ellenlynn215@hotmail.com

City: Bellevue

Message: August 7th, 2003 - FYI, My brother Russell is flying in to Albany NY from Florida and we plan to meet up with Ben Wax when he comes over from Vermont. So Central Supply will be well represented. We will be bringing some rare and special Wel-Met artifacts. Mike et al, What about an auction of Wel-Met stuff to support the costs of the site. Ill donate at least one Wel-Met camps pencil. Look forward to seeing you all at the NEVELE. One more QUIZ - Does anyone know where they got the name, NEVELE. Answer will be posted next week.Mitch

Name: Mitch Edelstein

Email: mitch_edelstein@yahoo.com

City: Saratoga Springs

Message: This website is like finding a lost relative that youthought you would never see again. Scrolling the guest bookbrings back huge memories. For me starts in Silver Lake1966. Watching all those 8 and 9 year olds get car sick onthe way to camp was the craziest thing I had ever seen. Narrowsburg Unit 1-4 1967-70. In unit 2 getting dancelessons from the female counsellors in preparation for thesocials. I still have scars on my knuckles from ga-ga. Ihated instructional swim and I still cannot swim. I knew itwas a waste of time! My lifetime greatest athleticachievemnent was making the Unit 3 all-stars with bunk mateAlec Goldfarb and defeating Unit 4 all-stars on a muddyfield. I still wonder how come grown ups do not get restperiods and schmooze time scheduled into our days. SilverLake Pioneers 1972. Adele Dinerstein, I remember BrownSugar too!! I played ping pong all that summer using thepencil grip. Do you remember that? Best of all, going West!!Trip 3 I think 1973. My tent mate Hal Landsman making mesleep outstide at the Grand Canyon because there weresnakes!! Wall Drug, Buffalo Wyoming, Tetons, Bryce, Zion,Mesa Verde. Can anyone explain how the Jensby daughterhooked up with an east coast Jewish kid every few days foran entire summer? Best of all Indian Gardens at the bottomof the Grand Canyon. Our driver Dondi runs out of gascoming out of the 4 corners. Amy where are you? MicheleRodeletz. Your brother Steve gave my sister Liz a jacketthat she had for YEARS. Jeremy Gould. Amy Dicker, I sawyou in Macys on 34th street years later. Leslie Barovik. Everything I learned about girls before the age of 17 was atWel-Met. Narrowsburg dishwasher 1974. Amy Cohen, how areyou? That crazy bunk. Seth or was it Phil doinghandstand push ups. Going back to sleep after breakfast,frisbee after lunch, shower after dinner, and stay up allnight. Swill Barnes. Monticello. Cracking 60 dozen eggs inthe evening. Going to Bronx Science with Steven Garfinkel,at least someone who understood what summers were for. Nowgood friends with Mitch Morris in Houston. Still remember10 years ago when he pulled a Wel-Met sweatshirt out of hiscloset during a Passover Seder when we discovered ourcommon Wel-Met heritage. What a shock!I spotted many contempoaries here, Steve Bandel, WendyRoseman, Spider, Craig Schwimmer, Rita Feldman, Garf, AdeleDinerstein and I am sure missed many more. My 15 yr old son went on his own western trip this summerwith Camp Sabra JCC St Louis to Colorado. He loved it. The spirit of Wel-Met lives on. Thank you Mike for this site. Sorry will miss the reunion. Hope it happens again.Happy in Houston Texas. Wel-Met forever.

Name: Charles Levenback

Email: clevenback@aol.com

City: Houston

Message: I attended Wel-Met in Barryville in 1969 I was 11 years old. I think I was in Unit 3. I remember being in camp thefirst three weeks of the summer. Out of 21 days, it rained 19!I do have some pictures, and would like to know the best way to get them posted on this website.Julie Hall

Name: Julie Hall

Email: jcarolhall

Message: Has anyone out there heard from Mitch Dicker. Narrowsburg unit one 72-73. If you have please let him know about the web site and the reunion. Also I was wondering if anybody was in touch with Danny Hill. Will try and make up to Nevele on the 16th.

Name: alan rappaport

Email: rappaport rapp@aol.com

City: bklyn

Message: Narrowsburg 1969-72. Been a long time, lots of memories.

Name: Steve Sturm

Email: Steven.Sturm@attbi.com

City: Denver

Message: Shame those boys good Steve. We need to reconvene.....

City: old brookville

Message: Question about the reunion for those only going up on Sunday. Are they going to let us hang out for a good part of the day or, if not, will there be an alternate spot to convene for a while ? Its been a real kick getting emails from some of you who I havent been in touch with for years. I cant believe both Garfinkel gals, the older sisters I never had, are showing up and Steve is using the lame excuse of a family vacation to possibly keep him away. Leslie B., I have been at all the World Series games and have the bags under my eyes to prove it.... cause no way its my age. Come by section six nest time. Will try to make it on Sunday, and will shame one or both of the Myones twins to come along. Hope to see many old friends there. Damn, now after a couple of weeks in Italy Ill need to figure out how to burn off some of that pasta in the next 10 days. Steve. August 6.

Name: Steve Bandel

Email: steve.bandel@am.sony.com

City: W. New York

Message: I was at Wel-Met from 1969 Unit I through 1975 Western trip. Throughout my time there, I was knows as Rosie. I kept in touch with many of the friends I made well into my 20s. I would love to hear from some of them again. If youre out there, send me an e-mail. I have too many good memories to write down here.

Name: Jeff Rosenberg

Email: jerosenberg@tribune.com

City: Springfield

Message: OK, quick Wel-Met memory. Setting: Pioneers 1969. Objective: Sneaking across to the other side undetected. Plan: Lay out a trail with some flourescent wood chips found earlier...Dont ask me. Brilliant! No flashlishgts to attract attention, and the possibilty of something with our summer romances.--Oh if you ladies only knew the lengths we went to.-- John Hirshfeld are you out there? Alas, not half way accross the great divide a beacon of light comes streaming out of the Unit Directors pavillion. THe jig is up and it is every man for himself!! I think everyone eventually made it back to thier respective tents, bowed but not broken, and lived to play softball another day.

Name: Laurence Karst

Email: laurencekarst@yahoo.com

Message: We are having a party ,and we are still looking for 3 missing Narrowsburg campers.Eddie Rowan ,Larry Levine ,and Carol LeBlang.contact either Linus at Roburg1@aol.com or me Todd Grossman at Tgrossman@aol.comHope to hear from you guys.........soon

Name: Todd Grossman

Email: Tgrossman@aol.com

City: long beach

Message: Hey Leslie Barovick - will definitely send regards to Jeff who is still out in California. He works in L.A. but lives in Santa Barbara, and hardly ever comes back to NY to visit. We hate that!

Message: This was my first experience at sleep away camp. The picture of the bunks are exactly what I remembered and that was when I was 8 years old! I dont remember anyone from my bunk because I only went to Wel-Met for 1 summer. The year was 1961.

Name: Rhonda Robinson

Email: JRBARO@AOL.COM

Message: Great site. Brought back fond memories of summers past. Have fortunately kept the Wel-Met spirit going at an amazing camp-like summer community for families and empty nesters near Croton-on-Hudson, NY - replete with man-made lake with ABC waters and lifeguard, hiking, biking, competitive tennis and basketball games, the occasional co- ed softball game, yoga, and a huge social hall for stage performances by professionals and talented parentskids, talks, dances, dinners, even a pavillion for ShabbatHigh Holiday services - so if this intrigues you as an interesting way to spend your summers May-Oct, please drop me a lne no, Im not an agent, just know many Wel-Metters will love this place!. Was wondering who that I crossed paths with Narrows 1964-1967, WT No. 3 in 1968, KitchenPantry staff 1969 & 1970 is heading to the Nevele on Aug 16th - please send an e-mail as I may not be able to open this lengthy guestbook after Aug 8. Good to exchange messages with Emily, Lew, Benny, and Laurie Harris after many decades, but where is Randy Weintraub, Joan Baiman, Alice Butchen, Sharon Mates, Cheryl Levitt, Leslie Stewart, Laurie Kravitz, Debbie Finns, and my crazy buddies Mitch Pokrassa - the Americanski Pig, Jody Deitchman, Ken Kaitin, Eric Hoffman, Gary Himber - who disappeared 5 years ago, and many other pals from my 7 years at WM? Craziest experience? Heading back to camp from the Woodstock Music Fair on a Sunday afternoon with Pokrassa and Mike Scholnick, all 3 of us on the hood of a car with a stoned- out driver crawling along on Rt 17B at 1 mph, who turned onto Rt 55 and thought it was hysterical to accelerate to 45-50 mph with the 3 of us still on his hood, pleading for him to stop he finally did, we jumped off and he sped away, only to have, just a few minutes later, a red pickup truck come to an abrupt stop in front of us and a local redneck emerge, rifle in hand, falsely accusing us of harrassing his woman at his house down the road, and wanting to blow our brains out second plea for our lives in 10 minutes - then ordering us into his truck and whew, suddenly changing his mood - asking how to take us back to CAMPwhich he did, followed by a lecture about hitchhiking. What a way to close out the Woodstock experience! Would love to hear from all of my ole pals, and LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE COMING TO THE NEVELE. Cheers, Al Lewis.

Name: Alvin Lewis

Email: alewisEMCI@aol.com

Message: i think ill be the oldest entry in the guestbook. i dont recognize any names - but the memories linger on.i started out in narrowsburg in unit 2 and went back each year until i was a pioneer in 57 i think, i was the babysitter for lou levitts kids for 2 years, an office worker for one year, and finally a counselor in barryville for one year. camp was a fantastic experience each summer. the exodus from the city was truly to the promised land.i hope to see the names of a few real old timers - those who remember mr. goldberg, lou levitt, dan morris, bob salmon, dick steinberg, etc., etc.

Name: gail roth hollander

Email: gailh9@aol.com

City: williston park

Message: Hi, all. Its August 4, Ive forgone dinner, my kids are brawling, and the dogs need to go out, but Ive been busy on this website for over an hour. Steve Bandel -- Ill try to make it tohe Series this year, I know the Yankees will. I looked for you two years ago?, but must have been an off-night. Steve Michaels, I remember Michael Reich -- I was madly in love with him when we were in Unit five and Pioneers. Bruce Saffran, do you remember me from the Western Tripk, I think? Julie Light -- please say hi to your brother for me, we havent spoken since 88. Is he still in LA? And why do I only see the Garfinkel girls on this website? Love to Steve -- I dont remember very much, except names and faces. I have only fond memories of all those days. Still trying to arrange attendance on the 17th -- hope to see many of you there.

Name: Leslie Barovick Cummins

Email: l.barovick@att.net

State: NNNY

Message: Does anyone know the whereabouts of Debbi Gelzer? Or Ellen Gelzer?

Email: carolann218@yahoo.com

Message: WOW!! What a blast from the past. Wel-Met was like a paradise for me. I have so many good memories of Ann Seigel, Barabara Mensch, Rita Karasyk, Arlyn Miller, Fran Smith, Barbara Fischkin, Andrea Gold, Debbie Cohen, Benny Wax, Peter Bass, Hank Collins, Frank Karp, Doug Weber, and many more whose last names have slipped my memory. A special thanks to Stew Koenig, for posting the list of campers on our Western Trip. It would be great to hear from all of you I mentioned and all of those I didnt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name: Liz Levenback Shamir

Email: liz3213@comcast.net

City: Fort Washington

Message: I am embarrassed that I do not have perfect recall of all my Wel-Met history. Over the years, I attended all three camps and do not clearly remeber which was which. Im certain that I was in unit v in 72, Pioneers in 73, and on Western Trip number???in 74. I remember lots of friends whose names are on this page: Lana Wilson, Mitch, and Joel, etc. I have sons now who are the same ages we were then 13 and 15. Lori Tarter was my best friend all through high school. I also worked in Narrowsburg I think in the summer of 77 and hung out with Steve Bandel, the Myones twins, Spider, and my high school classmate. Lisa Schwartz the best summer of my life!!. I am trying to make plans to attend the reunion at Lanas on August, 23. August 3, 03.

Name: Mykie Laura Silz Reidy

Email: mykiereidy @adelphia.net

City: Pittsburgh

Message: Whew!!! I just spent the last several HOURS reading ALL the posts since my last visit here in MAY!!!After the Barryville 25 met in NYC in May, where I experienced a tremendous sense connection with folks I hadnt seen in 32 years, I got caught up in my preparing for my familys version of Western Trip 03.I just returned 2 days ago from a 32 day trip with the wife Fran and kids Jesse, 13, & Alison, 9to the Four Corners area of the American Southwest. A tremendous coincidence that in the year I rediscovered Wel-Met through this web site, that I should be venturing back to so many of those magical places we all visited on our Western Trips so many summers ago.So many memories came flooding back to me as we went from one National Park to another, but nothing compared to the ones that materialized as I stood at the head of the Bright Angel Trail at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Though I was not about to subject my family to that grueling, really torturous hike, I certainly wasnt going to miss the opportunity of regailing them whether they wanted to be regailed or not of my exploits as a skinny little 15-year old trekking back up to the top after an ALL DAY down, then back up death march in the heat of the burning Arizona summer heat, wearing my trusty kafieh. I LOVE to hike, and the heat doesnt really bother me as my kids discovered this summer, but I would NEVER do THAT hike again!Having studied Geology in college, I am quite partial to rocks, and rock formations, so naturally I LOVE the Southwest. That being said, I still can not get over how truly stunning the American Southwest is. And I am actaully pretty impressed with myself as many of you may be with yourselves that I really fully appreciated all this beauty even as a dopey 15- year old. My kids are younger, as I mentioned, and certainly they didnt quite have the appreciation I had back then. Perhaps they are just a tad too young, or perhaps we were just a bit ahead of our time, or perhaps it was the times themselves. I was quite surprised, and disappointed actually, how few young people college age we saw camping out this whole month - and yes we did camp out and cook out all our meals in true Wel-Met Western Trip style.I have to think that in the 1970s there would have been a ton more young kids hitting the road with tents.Sorry for blathering on, but I am still fresh with memories from my summer sojourn.

Name: Neal Madnick

Email: Jabstep@aol.com

City: Flushing

Message: I met some really good friends there. There are people there who will remain loyal to you no matter what mistakes you make in life. I recently lost my job and its like no one there cared what became of me, after all those years of so-called friendship. So the camp has special meaning to me today.

Name: John Martling

Email: jmland@aol.com

City: new york

Message: Camp Wel-Met is always fondly remembered.Campers, counselors.friends,,,missed at moments like these.All the Western trip II,1968 young men and women...you were wonderful and a constant source of surprise and laughter.

Name: esther kanarek dinerstein

Email: dinerstein@adelphia.net

City: palm beach gardens

Message: A blast from the past. Thanks Eric Rofes for naming those people from our days together in Unit 5, Pioneers and Trip 6 in 1970. We cant possibly be that close to 50 years old, are we? I recently found my Western Trip scrap album, the magnetic pages depolarized and all the pics sliding out. I found one of me and you and Fran Reich with the caption, me and my two loves. I miss those days and wish my kids could have experienced the same. Funny but I live so close to where you grew up, which I thought at the time had to be fairly close to China. Love ya and thanks for the memories!

Name: Nancy Gaines

Email: nancyshap29@optonline.net

City: Melville

Message: Havent checked this site in months and now I amthrilledtosee so many folks whose names I recall, andsomepeopleIactually went to Welment with as a camperandstaffmemberfrom about 1967-1992. Special hello toNinaLuban,Pioneercounselor who, with two of her palcounselorsJaneand ?really influenced me in some good, earlyfeministways. Likewise the Grodin brothers and many othercounselorsandadministrators who brought good 1960s Jewishsocialworkerpolitics into my life. I want to takeFernSteinmetzspoint up a bit and ask a question Ivelongwondered about:In what overt and covert ways didWel-Metinfluenceourpolitics...I recall a conversation yearsagowithPhyllisCoven, from my Western Trip then working inDCwithNOW, andRona Weitz, then working with Amnesty,andmeworking on gayliberation issues...wonderinghowWel-Metsupported ourevolving Left political perspective. Love tounderstandthis better, even as I celebrate it,andglad tohear fromLou Levitt about his continuing goodworks. Helloto SheriElowsky, remembering you from my SilverLakeAAdays, andRoz Guterman, the Basuks, Amy BrennerandAimeeRoth wasntthere a third Amy? andNancyGaynes--yowee!Special helloto the Finkelsteins, SueandBrett, and thefolks older thanme that I kinda lookedupto--like theAlterbaums and Benny Wax. Mostly I wonderabout where is Judy Abrams, Rob Swartz, Hester Abrams, SiouxOpas, Mike Bailis, Phil Potash, Sheri Cohen, and MajerGold...Still in good touch with Fran Reich and DavidKlafter, my chiro is Vicky Schwartz cousin who is stillpals with Andy Perry...Glad to see Al Turin on line, bringsback good memories from my childhood....On another note,anyone else from Wel-Met grow up gay? I often wonder whatabout Wel-Met made me feel free enough to have my firstrelationships with guys there, even when repressive LongIsland kept me closeted. Just curious about any other homosor lesbians, bisexuals, or transgenders... from thosedays. Especially in this moment when gay-gay-gay is on thefront page of the papers, and the Pope and President arecolluding to halt progress towards equality, Im somehowglad that Wel-Met and Birch Lodge played a role in mycoming out story...Enough...Best to all...ericrofes...eerofes@aol.com...in San Francisco, my Wel-Met bythe sea!

Name: Eric Rofes

Email: eerofes@aol.com

City: San Francisco

Message: Dick Knutson and I are living in Seattle, WA. We worked at Silver Lake and Narrowsburg for a number of years I think until it closed, beginning in 1971, the year staff surprised us with a first anniversary wedding celebration. I worked at Barryville in 1968 ?.Would love to hear from and about people we knew during those years. What memories!!!

Message: I remember being really confused about the whole thing. I never wanted to go to camp because theyd make me work-- shudder! All I brought back was a rash, but I really liked the racoons.

Name: Beth Ostrowsky

Email: BetHO@aol.com

Name: lee perlman

Email: pearl609 @aol.com

City: east windsor

Message: Another 1968 staff training memory--learning to call our bedwetting campers enuretics and how to subtly check for wet sheets in the mornings. I wonder if therell be someone doing that at the Nevele on Sunday AM. Looking forward to seeing you all on the 16th!

Message: Memories of staff training... 1968: PA Training... a PA who had not been a Wel-Met camper asking Al Maxman about facilities. Do we have a basketball court? -No, we have woods. Do we have cleared ball fields? -No, we have woods. Do we have tennis? -No, we have woods. Do we have Color War? -No, we have intellectual Onegs and Mass Activities. And Maxman telling us that anyone who wanted those things could just go to a Camp Pupick! 1971... Trip Director Training. Dick Steinberg telling us how to manage with 50 people on the bus and 46 seats: -There are big ass seats and little ass seats. See this seat? Two big asses or three little asses. Memories of Homesick Club before Visiting Day began for parents of the most homesick kids. Branch Director would read homesick letter from a kid... each parent thought it was their own kid - the kid circled the teardrops, was wasting away from horrible food, etc. Turned out the letter was from 30 years ago - some things never changed.

Name: Gail Karlitz

Email: GKarlitz1@aol.com

City: Stamford

Message: Hey Rodger, thanks for the update on Barbara. I cant believe you still have the card saying you have been assisted by the KKK and I remeber our bus following the pickup truck with 2 guns in the back window in the middle of the night which lead us to the cow field where we slept in cow ? and chased the cows all night.

Name: Lee Schaffer

Email: lee731@optonline.net

City: Randolph

Message: Hi all Unit V 1972, Pioneers 1973, and Western Trip 41974. Wow- its been years! Thanks Todd for turning me on to this website! Thanks Lana and Karen for getting in touch. What a surprise to think that Wel Metians have endured to this degree! Were a special breed! I miss you guys. Hope to see you soon. Lori 7-30-03

Name: Lori Tarter Oberstein

Email: jelho8@comcast.net

City: Hazlet

Message: Cliff Schorr- Benny Wax is real-you remember him exactly as he was, kind of the domain of the barn. If you read down, youll see his own contributions.Benny Wax-you brought a smile to my face when you said Larry Wolman. No one could crack up a room like Larry, am I right or am I right?Cliff Weber-Youre not the only one searching for Eddie Fischer. I havent been able to read more than a quarter down this endless and endlessly interesting scroll, but Eddie Fischer is mentioned once or twice further along.Finally, Lee Schaffer- Barbara Mermell lives a few miles from me in an A- frame in the woods. Ill tell her youre thinking of her. Later, all.

Name: Roger Lazoff

Email: RNL5@cornell.edu

City: woodstock

Message: Hello Roger Lazoff. I have one last picture to post of pictures from Trip 1 in 1970, showing all of the staff! Nice to know that you remember us and that things are well with you!

Message: Hi to all Western trip 1 71. Its been a long time! Amazing how may memories come back while reading this site. Great to see so many old friends from the past. Alice and Joanne told me about this site and the reunion. Hope to see you there.

Name: Karen Goldman-Hertz

Email: kghertz@hotmail.com

City: Scaarsdale

Message: July 30 2003 Great to see the postings from A. Chamow and M. Schrift. Andy- remember our favorite Playboy pin-up in unit V, Candy Loving? Sad to think what she looks like 30 years later, buddy!! We were all in Bunk 94 together in unit V with M. Frey frenchy,J. Dinerstein, Billy Shomer,Roy Spallone, Steve Meyerson,Sam Shreyer, Jeff Daniels,Steve Spector, Allen Appel,L. Bryerman, and Ira Cheifetz. I have a terrible memory for these things- but found the old Unit V mailing list! Julie Light was the unit clerk. Some of our staff was Jeff Tenzer,Susan Eidler,Ineke DeVries from the Netherlands,Patti-Gorman Knutson later my unit director in Unit 1 when I was a counselor,Bob Simon, Sheldon Wolf ,Mark Hirsch, Linda Kimmel, Sue Johnsen, Marc Jazarian,Felice Karlitz, Michele Hoffman,and our Bunk 94 counselors- Eric Logan and Kevin MctaggertHope to hear from you, as well as any of the old crew.Best regards to all.

Name: Neil Orzeck

Email: nneilo@aol.com

City: Maplewood

Message: Fred Janney ! Now that guy could hit a softball. Speaking of PAsUDs, whatever happened to:Harvey Levine PA, Unit 4, 1968 NarrowsburgEddie Fischer UD, Unit 4, 1968 NarrowsburgAl Lugar PA, Pioneers, Silver Lake, 1965Cliff Weber

Name: cliff weber

Email: cweber@hhk.com

Message: Benny Wax? The name conjures up this guy who we had to visit to get all kinds of things, like NEW softballs. Is this the same Benny Wax? Benny was the keeper of new Clincher softballs ..all nice and wrapped in paper in the cardboard box. For those that dont know what a clincher is, it is a brand new softball, unblemished, unused, that when you hit it with the fat part of the bat, you can drive it a country mile well, at least some of us can So, I somehow remember that Benny Wax was the keeper of the softballs, and we had to go to him to get them. Am I dreaming, or does anyone else remember this??Cliff

Message: July 29,2003 Am I the only one who remembers Dick Gregory as a camp guest leading a discussion -was it pre or post- hunger strike- at one of our Onegs? It was either in 1963 or 1964 or 1968. I have no idea what his message was, but I do know that I felt so proud to be attending such a cool, socially aware camp. And what about the 68 production of Man of La Mancha starring Fred Janney as Don Quixote? This website is so addictive-Ive been obsessed with camp memories-and am devastated that I cant attend the reunion. Hope you all have a blast!

Message: Just found the treasure trove of old Wel-Met letters and official stuff. Letters from Beth Goldberg, Donna Mayer, Leslie Rosen, Rona Altwag, Missy Donner, Karen Bernstein, Joan Michaels, Jane Lilienthal, Ned Goldberg, Gary Brandl,Ben Wax and more. I found a 1970 Wel-Met Camps Handbook, Instructions to Parents and Campers, A staff luggage tag,my contracts to work each summer first years pay 100.00 for the whole summer to be Eric Rosenbergs personal slaveAnd more and more. Im starting to think seriously about attending the reunion. I dont think I would ever forgive may self if I miss it.Hope to be there. Where are you Cheryl Herman and Philip Freeman ?

Email: lbv3475@fdn.com

State: Fl

Message: Mitch Bernstien, Mike Levine, Davia Weinberg, Felice Karlitz, Al & Gerry Grodin, Larry Wollman, Jeff Tenzer, Bucky Jones, Russell Edelstien, Shelly Stahl, Lisa Lerner, Al Grab, Stu and Sharon Bogart, and on and on and on and on. And nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile, The Wonder Years that helped mold us for today.

Name: benny wax

Email: benny@vtlink.net

City: stowe

State: vt

Message: Trying to clean pine pollen off my screen room floor-- another Wel-Met image flashes into mind--GREEN DUST! Remember sprinkling it on the floor of the bunk-- to get it ready for... INSPECTION!Mike--thanks for the call--what fun!

Name: felice karlitz

Email: bk2ss@aol.com

City: saratoga

Message: Thank you so very much, Mike Alterbaum, for bringing beloved memories to the fore. We have never met, but I know Al from Narrowsburg and from Buffalo, where our paths later crossed. And now, Al, I understand that you are just up the road a piece in Yorktown Heights. Warm greetings,my friend. Hey, Steve Young, if you are out there, I was one of your Western trip counselors in 1972 and a Narrowsburg Pioneers counselor the year before Irwin Moss - I saw your name while scrolling through - I was one of your Unit I PAs in 1973. Suzi Langer, I absolutely, heartbreakingly remember your late brother, Cliff. I was his PA in Unit I. He was one-of-a-kind: smiling eyes, quick laugh, always ready for adventure - even better if a couple of rules were broken in the process. He was revered by his small campers who, more than once, followed him out on some wacky, joyful, totally prohibited midnight adventure. The summer of 1973 was made that much better if you worked with Cliff. Suzi, my folks lived in Far Rockaway, down the beach from yours, and Cliff and I did a fair amount of hanging out after that summer. Going to Eddie Ostermans 1974 New Years party in your grandfathers big, old Lincoln Continental comes to mind. More will, and we can continue in a less public arena. In the meantime, memories continue to flood, and I will rearrange August to make sure I am at Narrowsburg on 817. Would someone kindly send directions and info on the visit? Thanks!

Name: Nina Luban

Message: THANK YOU to the folks that created this site and the boundless energy that it has generated! Last week I had dinner with my 1972 tentmate and fellow boatgirl, Joan Shikowitz, whom I hadnt been in touch with in almost 30 years. Moreover, she and I will be sharing a room together at the Nevelle. Ira Abrams, I remember your name very well but cannot recall much more than that at the moment. However, now that you mention it I do remember there was graffitti on my tent wall about The New Riders of the Purple Sage having slept there. Joan reminded me about Jerry Garcia being our third roommate, but my recollection is of of Brad Zerler passing out on the tent floor every night. More magic...this weekend I was at the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival in Hillsdale NY on the CT, MA, NY border where there were a mere 10,000 people. As I was walking through the crowd I heard a woman say the word Wel-Met at which point I busted into her converstaion and announced that I had gone to Wel-Met, did she know about the reunion, the web site etc? She knew nothing of the web site and her name was Heidi Berman, alas not someone I knew, but someone I am sure many of you knew. I gave her some low tech directions to this web site and I know she will make it here. AND the emails I am receiving from old friends whom I have never forgotten , but cannot believe I lost touch with, are a priceless gift. Thank you again for making this site happen. On a more somber note, about 18 years ago I worked with a Wel-Metter named Charlie Mallot. Although he was five years younger than me we had lots of Wel-Met history in common. For those of you that knew Charlie and hadnt heard, he passed away about ten years ago. He was a really great guy and always wondered why more Wel-Metters had not settled in Ithaca like he and I did. I know this site would have pleased him.

Name: Roz Guterman

Email: rguterman@earthlink.net

City: Ithaca

Message: More memories - playing jacks on the bunk floor .. who remembers the fancies? Making lanyards and bead necklaces during rest hour - your day on the Work Wheel when you had the best job Snack and Mail - playing Spit down by the lake - the bellyache party after Visiting Day - trying to trade the strawberry from the chocolate, vanilla, strawberry ice cream square that came with Friday night dinner - waiting forever on the benches in the infirmary with your chart that was filed by unit in the waiting room carnival days which always had a Marriage Booth - water carnival with swim races at the lake - getting packages filled with junk food and filling up one trunk in the bunk with all the candy - the new Sunfish sailboats - the counselors holding poles on the dock by B and C water -not being allowed to leave Unit 1 for Schmooze - making friends with the Senior Citizens at Silver Lake so you could use their bathrooms instead of the latrines in Pioneers - the Long and Winding Road sign between Narrowsburg and Silver Lake - the boys dropping the Daddy Long Legs into the shellac cans in Arts and Crafts - filling out your canteen order and then tie dying your new Wel-Met shirt

Name: Debbie Karlitz

Email: xbklynites@aol.com

City: New City

Message: Davia Weinberg, Mike Levine, Mitch Bernstien, Jeff Tenzer, Bucky Jones, Larry Wolman, Ned Kirsch and on and on and on,these names really bring a smile to my face.

City: Stowe

State: Vt

Message: Hi again. Just catching up on all these messages. Felice Karlitz - youre married to Jerry Grodin?? Please please say hi for me remind him how he used to give me extra cranberry sauce on turkey night. I also have great memories of our late good friend, Jeff Tenzer.Andy Anker, why does the name Bucky Jones sound so familiar?Julie Light, please send me Debbie Nodiffs email address, or if you see her, tell her to post! she and I became good friends when she was in Unit 4 and I was the Unit ClerkPhyllis Saitz - I laughed when I read your comment about picking our own activities. This past weekend I had dinner with Alan Breen down from Seattle and Laurie Langer who lives out here, in Larkspur, and Alan commented that at Wel-Met, we HAD NO ACTIVITIES!!Lastly, Nancy Garfinkel, I just heard from Laurie Langer that Toni Reiss lives in Lexington, KY where she is a dance therapist.Looking forward to the 17th yes, Im coming in from California, on my way back from Houston, sort of.Davia

Name: Davia Weinberg

Message: Hi again. Just catching up on all these messages. Felice Karlitz - youre married to Jerry Grodin?? Please please say hi for me remind him how he used to give me extra cranberry sauce on turkey night. I also have great memories of our late good friend, Jeff Tenzer.Andy Anker, why does the name Bucky Jones sound so familiar?Julie Light, please send me Debbie Nodiffs email address, or if you see her, tell her to post! she and I became good friends when she was in Unit 4 and I was the Unit ClerkPhyllis Saitz - I laughed when I read your comment about picking our own activities. This past weekend I had dinner with Alan Breen down from Seattle and Laurie Langer who lives out here, in Larkspur, and Alan commented that at Wel-Met, we HAD NO ACTIVITIES!!Lastly, Nancy Garfinkel, I just heard from Laurie Langer that Toni Reiss lives in Lexington, KY where she is a dance therapist.Looking forward to the 17th yes, Im coming in from California, on my way back from Houston, sort of.Davia

Name: Davia Weinberg

Message: Talk about a blast from the past. I got a call today from Mitch Bernstein. A few weeks ago from Eddie Podolsky. It brings back memories from the camps, Western Trip and working there until I got fired cant remember why??.I have been in Boulder,CO since 1974 but will be NYC from August 9th - 15th. Not sure if I will make the reunion but perhaps I can catch up with some of you if you are in the city. I got married late in life no kids - no pets and work as the National Sales Director for Blue Mountain Arts greeting cards. Im sure some of you were sending those free e-mail cards a few years ago. Anyway - drop me a line.Michael Levine

Name: Michael Levine

Email: mmlevine@mindspring.com

City: Boulder

Message: Hey everyone, I had the most amazing and wonderful phone conversation with Debbie Nodiff this week! and I promised her I would post the words to the Boris song that Norma Silverman used to sing, so here goes, to the best of my memory:Boris was a gentelman,In the Czars regime,Boris was a gentleman, Or so it would seem.Now Boris sat upon a horse,A-swaying in the middle,Boris sat upon a horse,A- playing on the fiddle.It was Boris, not the horse,A- swaying in the middle!It was the horse, not Boris,A- playing on the fiddle!Now Boris had a ladyfriend,Her name was Miss Latrine,And often on a winters night,Shed wake up and shed scream:Hey! Boris, Boris, save me save me,From the cossacks at my heels, Hey! Hey! Hey!Boris, Boris, save me, save me,There are only two more reels!Well, thats all I remember, if theres more, somebody feel free to jump in and add it. I didnt remember the part about Miss Latrine at first but Carol Potashnick filled me in.Hey, Roger Lazoff, how are you? Maybe you could scan the famous visited slash assisted card and post it here on the website? Im sure a lot of us would get a charge out of seeing it.One more thing: about the supposed herb growing at the Jensbys farm in Kansas - my brother had been on the trip 3 years before me and he told me the Jensbys farm was just teeming with pot, he even drew me a map of where it was supposed to be located. I brought that map on the WT and I know a bunch of us went looking for the fabled pastures of plenty, but I am now quite certain that the foliage we picked that day and dried and smoked later was most definitely not cannabis sativa.

Name: Larry Howard

Email: lhoward@damorelaw.com

City: Portland

State: OR

Message: If some message appears like this 3x, its my computer that is brain dead and hopefully not me. Checking this site out is so relaxing that I have come here. Could someone please post the time and date when the walk through at narrowsburg will be. I am trying to make it and bring Elliot Masie and Mitch Edelstein with me. can not make the weekend but might be able to get down Sat evening and stay at the blue ribbion in eldred or camp at bob landers. then order the menu at the donut farm for breakfast before heading to silver lake and narrowsburg. i am still in a wel-met envioronment in vermont. could not get much closer. but still roots are roots. hope this message gets posted. if i do not see it tomorrow I guess i will get a new computer. hope to see some smiling familiar personalities at camp. benny

City: stowe

State: vt

Message: I was a counselor at Narrowsburg - Units 4 & 5 in 72, did the western trip in 73 and then back at the camp for part of the summer of 74 in Pioneer Camp. I loved the kids, the counselors and all the fun we had. I just want to say hello to all of you and hope life has been good to you.07- 25-03

Name: Fred Nordhorn

Email: fjn100@hotmail.com

Message: To all old friends and comrades:I had no idea this site existed until Gail Karlitz fowarded a piece from a Western Tripper, l970. Larry, and those of you who were on that trip, the Ku-Klux-Klan card you remembered so accurately is about twenty feet from where I sit, faded but still scary. Ill continue reading and enjoying the stories and pictures. Looking foward to connecting with lots of you.

Name: Roger Lazoff

Email: RNL5@cornell.edu

City: Woodstock

Message: Wow, after thinking there was nothing on the web about Wel- Met,I chanced upon this site and could not believe my eyes. Great memories of great times and great people . I was in Narrowsburg Unit 5 in 66, Silver Lake pioneers in 67, Western Trip 3 in 68 , kitchen boy in Silver Lake in 70 and 71, counselor in Narrowsburg in 72 and 73. Jane Fradkin Furst and Jane Levy Chiusano were old friends of mine, as were Alan Rappaport Rapp, Steve Leipzig, Mitch Dicker, Hank Collins, Al Gunther, Jerry Silver, and Caren Sobel. Does anyone remember Archie, the wild man unit director from Unit 2 in 73? By the way , Beth Weitzman, I was your brother Joels counselor in 72 , send him my best.He was a great kid, not only the funniest kid Ive ever met , but the funniest person.Roz Guterman, I remember you well, and your tentmate Joan too, your boyfriend Eddie Topitz and I used to kid you about the graffitti on the inside of your tent saying New Riders of the Purple Sage Slept Here . You always swore that was there when you got there. I also worked with Jay Magazine at Silver Lake in 70. What a head of hair ! and a mustache to match. A great guy with a real zest for living.I was shaken to see his name on the list of victims from 9-11, it brought it home to me in a very personal way. I actually have to pick a point at which to stop typing or I would be at this for days.Love the website and would love to hear from fellow Wel-Metters.

Message: Wow, after thinking there was nothing on the web about Wel- Met,I chanced upon this site and could not believe my eyes. Great memories of great times and great people . I was in Narrowsburg Unit 5 in 66, Silver Lake pioneers in 67, Western Trip 3 in 68 , kitchen boy in Silver Lake in 70 and 71, counselor in Narrowsburg in 72 and 73. Jane Fradkin Furst and Jane Levy Chiusano were old friends of mine, as were Alan Rappaport Rapp, Steve Leipzig, Mitch Dicker, Hank Collins, Al Gunther, Jerry Silver, and Caren Sobel. Does anyone remember Archie, the wild man unit director from Unit 2 in 73? By the way , Beth Weitzman, I was your brother Joels counselor in 72 , send him my best.He was a great kid, not only the funniest kid Ive ever met , but the funniest person.Roz Guterman, I remember you well, and your tentmate Joan too, your boyfriend Eddie Topitz and I used to kid you about the graffitti on the inside of your tent saying New Riders of the Purple Sage Slept Here . You always swore that was there when you got there. I also worked with Jay Magazine at Silver Lake in 70. What a head of hair ! and a mustache to match. A great guy with a real zest for living.I was shaken to see his name on the list of victims from 9-11, it brought it home to me in a very personal way. I actually have to pick a point at which to stop typing or I would be at this for days.Love the website and would love to hear from fellow Wel-Metters.

Message: I Worked at Narrowsburg 1972-1974 Starting out in Unit one and school camping. I also worked in Units two and five, Unit five in 1974 with Howie Stern among others. I also spent part of the summer pf 1977 in Narrowsburg.

Name: alan rappaport

Email: rappaportrapp@aol.com

City: bklyn,ny

Message: I just flew cross-country on a red-eye, and since I was up all night I used my time wisely, obsessively making a list of people I remember still know and love or would love to hear from or about. Here goes: From my earliest days at camp in 1962,Fern Blumenfeld, who lived across the street from my grandparents on Bronx Park East. Then from Unit V in 1965, Judy Leibowitz,Butchs sister, and my best friend for years and years -- where are you? From the summer of my Western Trip Trip II, 1968 led by Sid Dinertein Adele Pockler, Cheryl Levitt close friend -- she lives in Colorado, Mitchell Pokrasa, Judy Leibowitz, David Laks, Louise Bernstein the Trip Clerk living and well in Brooklyn, counselors Josh and Esther and Sue, who sadly died a few years later.Also Billie Thomas, who wasnt on the trip, but who I still adore, and Andy Metter, who was the first boy I ever went on a date with! From the TAC summer, 1969, I would LOVE to hear from anybody and everybody! I am still forever-friends with my TAC Eternal Tentmate Amy Munice, and I see Gail Hochman around Park Slope, but what about Ellen Tanner, Michelle Ackerman, Laurie Kravitz,and everyone else? And how about all the boys I was so madly in love with that summer: Ben Zingman, Philip Weissman, Larry Wollman, Bill Dropkin, and Roger Lazoff? In 1970 I was a counselor in Unit IV under Jerry Frain. Does anyone hear from Neil Morrow and Ava Lachman? Or Toni Reiss and her friend Sharon? Mitchell Silver lives in Massachusetts and is still a close friend -- I just went to his daughers Bat Mitzvah. Glenn Firestone lives in my neighborhood too, as does Bobbie Finkelstein to whom I am forever grateful for telling me about this site!!. Also Ilissa Light,where are you,girlfriend??? Hi to Cliff Weber--do you remember visiting me at college in Boston, and did you ever hear about Ilissa? Does anybody remember Michael Krotch from Unit II? And of course Danny Levin and Mark Swidler, two of my dearest friends throughout my life, both alive and well, and still friends themselves. And warm hellos to Diane and Billie and Sandee and Phyllis Brawarsky. To Marilyn Brenner -- wouldnt the darling late Jeff Tenzer truly have loved this site? And Michael Scholnick who was friends with Laurie Kravetz -- are you around? Niki Dreskin, do you remember me? Susan Eidler, we were either in TAC together or on the Western Trip--how are you? And Shelley Stahl -- when I was a TAC I worked with you at South Hills! Do you still have bangs? If any names ring a bell, please send an email or post a sighting. Thanks, and love to all.

Name: Nancy Garfinkel

Email: nanagarfin@aol.com

Message: Dear Stew and other members of Trip III 1969, It was great to see the list of the campers and counselors from Trip III. Harvey and I were engaged before the trip and have been married since June of 1970. We have 2 children Melissa- an03 Graduate of Cornell and David who just completed his sophomore year at Stanford U. Both or our kids are campers- Camp Kinder Ring. David is still a counselor there. In 1970the year after the trip, Harvey was a Unit Director and I was the head of the waterfront at Barryville.Than was out last summer at camp. Doug Weber was my boat boy. We then had to join the real world. Harvey is Asst. Gen Counsel of Praxair Inc. I am in private practice specializing in corporate law.I am also an adjunct professor at Mercy College. I still have the infamous newsletter in good condition and I have an album of pictures from the trip. We kept up with Paul Kemme for a while. He was a social worker in Utrecht Holland. Has anyone heard from him lately? I hope that you are all well and would love to hear from you. Sioux

Name: Susan Shapiro Belkin

Email: ssb1148@aol.com

City: Scarsdale

Message: hey again to all friends from narrowsburg pioneers 73, western trip 74. nice to see some of you posting finally! todd, mitch, lana, karen, cindy, mow-chow, aimee, MINDY! and of course you joel....would love to see you all again at a reunion lana?? wel-met was the closest we ever got to true hippiedom. a few of us never changed paths. so many hours spent sitting around listening to loggins & messina, jt, europe 72 and csny on joels or was it miths? crappy little tape recorder. whatever, but it was pure heaven. i never knew boys cried too until we all had to get on the bus and leave pioneers. i too have ALL my pictures from THE GREAT Western Trip and will share them with one who is more computer-savy than myself. mitch, remember when i ran into your girlfriend suzanne? in maui? she was here to play music at charlies bar. well i moved here right after that trip. not so far from cali if you ever want to visit. got your email todd - nice surprise to hear from you and i will write soon. TO MIKE ALTERBAUM, thanks again and again for the site. youve opened up a can of worms. those were great days for ALL of us. wel-met was and is an amazing force in the lives of so many. obviously this site has woken some people up and made us remember...love to all. im just curious...where did the vision for such a place come from?????

Name: donna badome

Email: ignatz77@aol.com

City: maui

State: HI

Message: Just remembered that in 1970 I might have been in Unit 4 not 5. I know that I skipped a unit but Im not sure which unit that was. Its too many years have gone by to remember!

Name: Susan Bergman

Email: Susaneduk8tor@aol.com

City: Commack

Message: I went to Narrowsburg in 1969, Unit 3 and in 1970, Unit 5. In 1971 I was at Silverlake for Pioneers. I went on the Western Trip 2 in 1972. I worked at Barryville in 1974 as an office clerk. the Wel-Met summers were the BEST! would love to hear from old Wel-Met friends!

Name: Susan Bergman

Email: Susaneduk8tor

City: Commack

Message: I went to Barrvillle and narrowsburg from 68-71, then onWestern trip 1 in 1972, have always wanted to find oldfriends from wel-met. Saw some names of people I remember,I am new to computere-mail, but reading past posts and will respond. Married and have auto-repair shop on L.I.

Name: Randy Sachs

Email: rsachs340@hotmail.com

City: huntington

Message: I went to Silver Lake, Barryville--units 2, 3, 5--6 weeks-- no pioneers, my made parents made me go to a camp for affluent girls--and the western trip circa very early 60s- 65. I find this site amazing. one of the reasons is that youe the only people who understand what I mean when I say that Wel-Met helped make me into the person I am today. And they totally dont understand how we picked most of our own activities, and lived in such close quarters with uH boys.My sister, Lisa, was two years beyone me and became a counselor. We found one of her training books for I cant remember what it was called the Saturday morning talks. Imagine a dialogue between Maimoindes, Martin Luther, and Martin Luther King. I cant imagine most college students today being able to do that, let alone kids in unit 5.Like so many people I ended up in social services--first as an SSI Claims Rep then as a clinical social worker in geriatrics. Now,I write.When reading the entries I saw Bobby and Nancy Mirels names mentioned. Their dad, Kaufie, and my dad, Sam grew up together in East Harlem and were life long friends. Until my family moved when I was 12 we all lived in the garden apartments in Douglaston. The Mirels were at all our very large and racous Thanksgivings and Passovers. 40 people and 39 arguments.I was adopted and had friends at wel-met who were. Outside of my family, I could only talk freely to them and their families about being adopted. My parents could talk to their parents. We made our own support group a decade before we ever heard the term. It was exhilirating to find people who thought being adopted was an ordinary experience. People didnt talk about it then.I had my first boyfriend at Wel-Met at the going home skits--my group did a very embarassing skit about us. fortunately I was in the infirmary and only heard about it.I would love to come to the reunion but will be away.This site just blows me away.Phyllis

Name: Phyllis Saitz

Email: PSaitz@nyc.rr.com