Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
dglauber

Smile "I'll kiss you one last time and leave you on the rolling river shores of changes"

How many of you remember singing this Phil Ochs' song Changes around the fire on the last night of the 6 week trip choked up with tears and filled with overwhelming memories of a summer filled with enough powerful, beautiful, hilarious and amazing moments to sustain you for the rest of the year until your return the next summer? That experience happened at the end of several of the 7 summers I spent at Wel-met, starting in Unit One (6 week, Narrowsburg) through Pioneers, Western Trip One (70 or 71 with Finkie, Shushie, Mike Stahl, Paul Mandelowitz, Phyllis Nevsky, Allen Epstein, Beth Weitzman, Judy P., Brian Saltz., Rob Druce, Howie Goldberg, Jane Levy and many wonderful others), finishing as a senior waiter in Silver Lake under Ralph Weeks, Carleton, Scott, Freddie, Ruff and a great group there.

My name is Donald Glauber. I just discovered this web site two weeks ago and was thrilled to see familiar faces in photos and names in notes, but was sad to discover that I had missed a reunion last summer. I hope there will be another soon.

I am starting this thread to re-engage with friends from the past and re-awaken memories that we shared but have forgotten are still there to be re-kindled. For myself, my time at camp was a magical, unforgetable, transformative Camelot-like time where I was confronted summer after summer with what mattered most in life and which has, I suspect for many of us, changed for the better the type of people we have become.

I would love the opportunity not only to share great stories to allow us to laugh and cry together again, but to try to identify what made those times, in that place, so magical and formative.

Not to make this too long, I will share one more small repeating moment for me that every summer seemed to end with for me. After saying all the tear-filled goodbyes and sharing phone numbers and addresses, when I would finally arrive home to my family(happy to see them) yet feeling like I was returning to a strange and unfamiliar world with carpeting, tv sets, soft beds, frigs filled with food just a few steps away and many other things like this that seemed weird, excessive and unnecessary. Perhaps these were the comforts that I was given in place of the amazing and weird bunk or tentmates and the proximity to all the other bunks, especially the girls ones (for raids after curfew) and experiences that I couldn't look forward to until next summer. Sound familiar?

I look forward to hearing from as many of you as happen up this and who remember either these kinds of moments or were actually comrades in units from my particular chapters of the Wel-met journey. Thanks so much for offering this site.

Don

P.S. I just dug out two carousels of slides from Units 4, Pioneers and western trip, which I hope I can find a way to digitize and upload some of the best pic. Either way, in a later note, I will run throught the names of 100 or more of you who are in the pictures and who are coming back as faces and names within the time I am trying to bring back in all of its color and beauty.

Last edited by dglauber; 04-09-2004 at 08:25 AM.
dglauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
pcmendy

Hey Don

Hey Don -

I remember you! But the vision I have in mind is a guy with a big blonde afro. Do you still have it? I'm afraid that I'm sporting alot less hair and many more pounds these days. Please do your best with your photos, I'd love to see them. I've recently connected with Phyllis Nefsky and Michelle Rodoletz. Beth Weitzman and I remain dear friends as we have been for over 40 years now. (That sounds very strange - to have done anything for 40 years.)

I share all your sentiments about the intense times that those summers were. Now I enjoy watching my sons (18 and 15) enjoy the same.

Be well.

Paul
pcmendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #3
tinaoxer

How to change slides to digital.

Hi Don, This is Tina Shriman Oxer a little before your years. My husband Ed and I were at Wel-Met as counselors/PA from 61-64.
Ed or Eddie as he was called then was also a camper in the mid 50's....long, long ago.

Anyway this is what we did with our slides......we put the image on the wall and then took a digital picture of them. They are a little bit distorded, but look pretty good to us. Good luck.

I am glad you found old Wel-Met friends.....we are still looking.

Tina Shriman Oxer
tinaoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
Beth Weitzman

can't get it out of my head

Well, Donald, now I can't stop singing. (and wander in my words...) Believe it or not, I was thinking of you of late. I have a "de facto" stepdaughter at Binghamton and I came across your name on the website. (Green leaves of summer...) It's been such a long time! A few of us from Western Trip #1 (Jane, Finkie, Paul...) were trying for a bit of a reunion in the city... maybe we can actually make it happen! In terms of your question about the Jacks... Bookman is at Duke. (one last cup of wine we will pour... ) And, I believe, Gilda is/was at SUNY-Old Westbury. Perhaps we can email and catch up... (and leave you on the rolling river shores, of Changes)
Beth Weitzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:26 AM   #5
dglauber

speaking of memorable music

To Beth and myriad other timeless wel-met friends,

Great to hear from you, Beth. I will e-mail you directly when I have more time. As per music and wel-met for the thread, how many of you can never forget those ecstatic dances in the rec hall or dining hall. They seemed to go on for hours with the most incredible range of powerful, energetic, soulful music. I most remember all those songs from Get Your Ya, Yas Out, Tapestry, C,S,N,Y, Beach Boys, Beatles.... What song or band most captures for you the magic of those dances (where no special skills or outfits were required)? I am wondering, where in our hearts, minds or souls do we keep the most magical Wel-met memories? And, how have they influenced our values of human relationships, community, love, hope..or...(fill in the blank for you)?

Yes, Dean Weber, I remember you too and can visualize your face, your laugh and your zooming by in that old Wel-met truck, like it was yesterday.

Later, Don
Old 03-13-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
CarolPotashnick

The Phil Ochs lyrics caught my eye and are still floating around inmy head so I thought I'd say hi...though I was two years ahead of you guys I knew a lot of you both from Wel-Met and from Jackson Heights - hi Paul and Beth! And Gilda was a counselor in my unit when I worked as a Unit Clerk for unit V in Barryville in 1971, and Jack Bookman's sister Siri was a clerk with me in 1972. Wel-Met geography! I still listen to Phil Ochs though these days it's on a cd, something we never could have imagined back in the day.
Carol Potashnick
CarolPotashnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 03:04 PM   #7
Michael Stahl

Western Trip #1 1972

Hi Don:

I have many slides also and you are in lots of them (I now know that because I can put a name with the blond afro face!)

I would be nice to get a big group together from our trip. It seems like 7 or 8 of us have logged in here, so that's a good start.
Michael Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:51 PM   #8
dglauber

more thoughts and responses

Hi Michael,

Good to hear from you. You are in many of my Western trip slides as well as my Pioneer slides, including one of some greaser event with torn white tea shirts, sunglasses and greased back hair. Some great memories. A reunion of the western trip would be great, especially if we could do it over a summer weekend in a setting that would feel similar to Narrowsburg (with a campfire, lake, woods...). It would be an interesting challenge to see how many from that trip we could find. What are you up to in your life? I've been living in Vestal NY outside of Binghamton, where I've worked as a psychologist at the university counseling center for the past 17 years. The college student energy, with all it's crazy, creative adolescent experiments and rebellions, healthy and not, reminds me much of some of the "interesting" happenings at wel-met. What are some of your most unforgettable moments at camp (this questions goes to all those who read it, especially Beth, Paul, Finkie, Vickie, Phyllis, and any others from our trip who may happen upon this thread)?

As a psychologist working with adolescents, I am fascinated by and compelled to find out how and why experiences like wel-met can have such a dramatic positive impact on shaping our characters and development (if any of you agree with that). I would love to hear others' views, opinions or theories about what wel-met did to or for you, unlike many other adolescent experiences.

Nonsequitar: Anyone remember Zoe Lazar, director of Pioneer and know where she might be. She had a special impact on me during that summer.

My best to the entire wel-met community, Don

Last edited by dglauber; 03-16-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #9
Nina Luban

Memories of Zoe Lazar

Hi, Don. This is Nina Luban. In answer to your question about Zoe Lazar: I was a Pioneer counselor in 1971 when Zoe was Unit Director. I have memories of a lovely woman who gently ran a very tight ship. Zoe's husband - Ira, I think - was also at camp that summer, working in another unit. They were both into Balkan folk dancing (no, seriously! You can't forget something like that - nor can you make it up), and more than one Pioneer kid twirled around the campfire under their instruction. Yet another golden Wel-Met memory. Unfortunately, I don't know where she is now but wish I did.
Nina Luban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:03 PM   #10
dglauber

I remember you!!!

Hi Nina,

Thanks for sharing memories of Zoe with me. She was a very kind, real person (wish we had more leaders like her in our present world). Wasn't a 'Joe Haggerty' her co-leader?

I can't remember the specifics, but I think you and I had a close bond. I have a slide outside of the dining hall with you, and two other female counselors (Jane? and a shorter woman with wavy dark hair) goofing for the camera. You had a huge smile (and heart) and a great sense of humor. I had a big brown afro and much adolescent awkwardness. Do you remember the girls in your tent? Did they include Marlene, Wendy Silverman, Denise Davis(?) I feel like an archeologist trying to dig up and piece together the memories for that sacred era. Where are you and what are doing now? Was Wel-met an important time in your development? I hope all is well with you.

Don Glauber
Old 03-22-2004, 01:49 PM   #11
Nina Luban

Note from Nina

Don, my e-mail inbox had a notice that your response was waiting for me! What a wonderful feature of this terrific website. That picture you have is of Janey Lewis, Sandy Wilson and me. Janey and I knew each other before that summer and are close friends today. She and her family live in San Francisco. Janey and I bonded with Sandy during counselor training week, and we remained friends with her for years afterward. Eventually lost touch. That was Janey's and Sandy's only summer at Wel-Met; I'd been there before as a camper and returned after that summer as a Western Trip counselor and PA.

I've unearthed a box of Wel-Metobilia including the bunk list for the entire Pioneer Camp 1971 6-week trip. Talk about a find. I see you were in Tent 1 and Ira Shuman was your counselor. If you send a fax no., I'll get this to you. My own Pioneer campers, according to the list, were Joan Kolins, Rachel Hepper, Susan Berman, Deborah Kameros, Karen Bloom and Deborah Morris. LADIES!! Are you out there??!!

I joined the summer 2003 reunion on its last day for the Sunday visit to Narrowsburg. As you might imagine, it was a joyful, tearful, beautiful day. I stood outside Pioneer Dining room, Don, and swear that I heard Carol King's Tapestry play, just like it played- over and over - at every Pioneer social held there that summer. Man, talk about bits and pieces of the past.

To quickly answer your questions - and continue more leisurely in a direct e-mail - I am in New Rochelle, NY with husband and 8-year-old son (that's right - don't bother with the math - I got started on marriage and family unusually late and am unusually loving it). Taught English in Buffalo, NY and Beijing, China then switched to the legal profession, now practicing environmental law (mainly, hazardous substance clean-ups), working from home on a limited basis so I can be a mom. Wel-Met influences? Strong preferences for woods, mountain lakes, group activities and Rocky Mountain toast; fierce defender of scapegoats; try to solve my kid's social problems in bunk sessions with friends; try to solve my clients' legal problems in bunk sessions with enemies; still hum Kumbaya. In ways both profound and mundane, Wel-Met lives. Nina
Old 03-23-2004, 01:22 PM   #12
Michael Stahl

Hi Nina:

I would love to see the bunk lists from Pioneers 1971, as I should be on it.

As I recall, Jane Lewis' father was a newscaster for channel 7 (strange, the memories one holds on to)

Cheers

Michael Stahl
Old 03-23-2004, 03:27 PM   #13
dglauber

Reply to Nina

Thanks for your wonderful thoughtful reply. I have reponses to so many of the things you raise. I have time for just a few here. Like Mike, I would love to see the Pioneer lists. My fax # is 607-757-0909. You may not know, I went to school from first grade on with Debbie Kameros. She is a very special sensitive being. We lost track after high school, but not before she turned me on to Hesse's Demian and Lao Tsu's Tao te Ching, which opened my eyes to the whole realm of philosophy, meditation and inner development. For this, I will always be grateful to her. She saw something in me, that I didn't know was there and sensed I might find something in those books. I send her best wishes wherever she might be and would hope she would happen upon this.

Thanks also for sharing that timeless moment hearing Tapestry in the winds outside of the dining hall. 'so far away, doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore?' Did we appreciate then the truth in those words and why they provoked so much emotion everytime we slow danced to them in that dining hall surrounded my murals of previous Pioneer communities.

Thanks especially for sharing a bit about your journey since wel-met days. That is what I am hoping to hear more about from long lost friends and comrades. Where have your journeys taken you? I too, continue to love and be energized by mountains, lakes, woods and the non human beings that inhabit them. I don't know how many schmooz's I spent on the edge of Narrowburg lake quietly watching and sneaking up on the amazing bullfrogs that filled that lake. I continue to love frogs, without catching them and realize now those were some of my first meditations in nature.

Finally, your "fierce defender of scapegoats" comment raises huge feelings and issues for me too going back to wel-met and more intensely vivid in this world. I need to explore this with you (and others who might be inclined) later. But, I will drop the hint that a major catalyst for my searching for this website and desire to recconnect with wel-met people and spirit was through Amy Goodman and her show Democracy Now. More later.

Thanks again and hoping this finds everyone well Don
Old 03-23-2004, 07:30 PM   #14
Nina Luban

Hi, Mike Stahl

Mike, please send fax number or address and I'll send you the Pioneer list. What a memory you have! Janey's dad, Milt Lewis, was indeed an Eyewitness News reporter. He now lives in San Francisco, turned 90 last year, gave the wittiest speech at his grandson's recent bar mitzvah and still, when riled, writes the occasional letter to the editor of the New York Times. I look forward to seeing you again. Nina
Old 03-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #15
Michael Stahl

Thanks, Nina:

Snail mail would be the easiest for me:

538 Park St.
Montclair, NJ 07043

Now all we need to do is locate all those people for the NYC reunion this summer!
Old 03-31-2004, 06:52 PM   #16
dglauber

getting the campfire going from embers

Hello all,

It may be a busy time, as there hasn't been much sharing recently. I wonder if many of our Narrowsburg comrades from 65-71 are around and reading some of these entries and may have some of their own stories to tell and share how why they continue to shine so bright today.

My 6 week adventures at camp were amazing opportunities to learn about who I was, what I valued and what good close friendships were about. Not to mention getting introduce to wonderful timeless music that I still love, laugh and cry to today.

Was anyone who is reading in Unit 5 in 69. A strange and wonderful memory from that summer was a round-up that my bunk did where Keith Silver (an amazing natural comic) spontaneously narrated a pajama fashion show. I thought we would die laughing at the wonderful absurdity. That experience captures part of the essence for me of how atypically wonderful Welmet people and gatherings were. If anyone reading this was in my bunk(perhaps, Mark Sass, Matty Bass, Ira Schwab, Kieth) could elaborate on that summer and especially if anyone could remind me of who our extraordinary, deep and sensitive counselor was that summer (who taught me a lesson I have never forgotten and continue to share with parents I work with who are struggling to reach their teens) I would be immensely grateful. Thanks for renewing the fire and energy of welmet and I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Gratefully, Don
Old 06-07-2004, 08:42 PM   #17
David Wilson

Hey Don (and Nina),

Just ran into the site. Trust you remember me -- David Wilson -- we were in the same tent in Pioneers. The tent consisted of us, Russ Leifer, Joey Braff, and Howie Goldberg. Our councilor was Ira Schwab. I used to call you "Donald Hollanger," had the swiped can of beans under my bed that I was always trying to peddle? Those werer good days, drop a line if you remember. Cheers, David
David Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:18 PM   #18
Nina Luban

David Wilson...!

David Wilson, how could anyone forget you OR that giant-sized can of baked beans you kept threatening your tentmates you'd consume? How are you? Where are you? What are you up to these days? Ditto for twin brother, George. Warm regards to you both. Nina
Old 06-08-2004, 09:47 PM   #19
dglauber

Dave,

It is wonderful to hear from you. I surely remember you clearly and fondly. Your wonderful sense of humor and warmth was a highlight of our tent energy. By the end of the summer, I had felt that I had spent much time in Spring Valley and at Ramapo. I also remember your guitar playing (and have a picture of you with a guitar). How are you, where are you and what are you doing (and did wel-met have any impact on who you became)? I have some wonderful pictures of you in slides from Pioneer year, which I will eventually learn how to load into my computer and send in to this site (or bring to a reunion, which ever comes first). I, too, was very excited to find this site and all the special and familiar names who have made contact. Maybe, over time, more and more of our buddies will search for wel-met and find this site and who knows where that might lead.....

I look forward to hearing more from you and your best memories.

Don Glauber

P.S. I do remember you calling me Hollinger (I believe from the character on 'That Girl')

Last edited by dglauber; 06-08-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:16 PM   #20
David Wilson

Hi Don and Nina,

Sorry for the tardiness of the reply -- I had some trouble getting back on! I'm doing fine, living in Urbana-Champaign Illinois where I'm a professor at the university. George is fine, living in South Florida. I'm still playing guitar, in a local blues band that plays around town. Yes Wel-Met years were fantastic, especially Pioneers and the Western Trip. In retrospect, not much activities formally provided but great times hanging out and listening to music. Hope this gets through!
David Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:21 PM   #21
Roberta Grubman

Hello Don,

The Phil Ochs lyrics caught my eye, and I have really enjoyed reading these "threads." I was in Barryville Pioneers - 6 weeks - in '71. Then I read what you wrote about Debbie Kameros, who was one of my best friends in high school. Were you at Stuyvesant with us too? I'm trying to remember...Last time I saw her must have been in the mid-80's, she was living in lower Manhattan, became a realtor-any sign of her at all?
Hello Beth Weitzman!
Roberta Grubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:52 PM   #22
Michael Ohlstein

Another Stuyvesant High School Wel Met person?

I was there (class of '75) with several other campers. Neil Madnick, Jennifer Evans, and Jay Gottlieb.

Those were good times.......

Chinatown for some food and 5 cent cigarettes, then back up to the Academy of music for a concert.
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:31 PM   #23
Beth Weitzman

Hello, Roberta

How could I resist greetings directed to me! Roberta, hope all is well with you. Larry has kindly kept me posted on the reunion news from the "Barryville crowd."

I pop onto the website every so often... when I need a break from work. While it can be fun to see familiar names and read about shared memories, I've been wondering if all this energy and enthusiasm about camp might be put to some good use. Perhaps a camp scholarship program for kids in need, or some other endeavor which would capture Wel-Met's spirit. It would be a big undertaking but it could create a meaningful legacy.
Anyone intrigued by the idea?

Beth
Beth Weitzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #24
Roberta Grubman

Ahhh, the Academy. Sigh, too long ago.

We were class of '74. Stew Grubman was there too, along with Susan Jacobs, both Barryville folks. Heh, was Jay Gottlieb at Wel-Met? I don't remember him at camp, just school.
(and at the park of course!)
Old 07-22-2004, 02:42 PM   #25
Roberta Grubman

Class of '74? Damn, that's thirty years ago!
Old 07-22-2004, 08:10 PM   #26
Roberta Grubman

Hello Beth!

How are you? I think about you, often wonder how you are doing, what you are doing-what are you doing anyway?

Re: the scholarship idea - just want to let you know that Marty Baicker(Barryville camper, Narrowsburg staff) has been in touch with Goddard-Riverside, and he is beginning to work on exactly that - some kind of scholoarship, be it camp or school - something that we can create out of all of this. I hope to help him with that, even from way out west!
So be on the look out, it is evolving and information should be coming to everyone soon.

Wel-Met does live on, doesn't it?
Old 07-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #27
Michael Ohlstein

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberta Grubman
Ahhh, the Academy. Sigh, too long ago.

We were class of '74. Stew Grubman was there too, along with Susan Jacobs, both Barryville folks. Heh, was Jay Gottlieb at Wel-Met? I don't remember him at camp, just school.
(and at the park of course!)
Jay was at Narrowsburg in 1970. Unit 4, bunk 70.

At some point, he dropped a large rock on his ankle and broke it (the ankle...). I don't remember him ever coming back.

Last edited by Michael Ohlstein; 07-23-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #28
debra hochman

Jay Gottleib was there afterward because I remember him in Unit 5 with me, I think we need to find some pictures to refresh our memories. I remember him making out with lots of girls at the Rock, I don't think I was one of them though. Does anyone remember Brad the counselor from Queens?
debra hochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:14 AM   #29
JACKIE MANCHER

Jay Gottlieb

Jay Gottlieb was a definite Welmeter. Although there may be 2 Jay Gottliebs. The one I know was with us in Unit 4, 5, Pioneers and Western Trip.. I really have to dig to get the dates straight. I know Kenny Ricken will know for sure. Jay came to camp as Kenny's best friend from home in Unit 4. He was from Seaford. Did he go to Binghamton?
That sounds kind of familiar. He was definitely popular with the girls.
Jackie
JACKIE MANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #30
dglauber

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for your warm comments about the Phil Ochs lyrics and, sadly, I have not seen or heard about Debbie Kameros in decades. Though her spirit and impact burns bright in my memory, along with numerous memories and people from that wondrous Wel-met era. Sorry for the delay in responding, but I am dealing with much grief from the death of a close family member 4 weeks ago. Time stands still for no person.

On a more inspiring note, last month, my 9 year old nephew Daniel called me up from Boston and asked, "Uncle Don, do you know the song, Leaving on a Jet Plane, and if so could you make me a copy of it and similar pretty folk songs?" You bet, Daniel. Nothing could give me more pleasure. Well, I filled 3 CD's and was still getting started. I wonder if we Wel-meter's tried to collectively compile the most important songs for us during those summers, how much consensus there would be, as well as how much we would reveal about ourselves but having to pick, say, the 10 most important songs. "Changes" would surely be on that list, as well as the live version of that song that begins: "Forty-nine reasons, all in a line. All of them good ones, all of them lies..."(C,S,N & Y from 4 way street) Still relevant today?

I hope this finds you well and I look forward to the chance to see many of you at a reunion to share important memories, energy and inspiration, so needed for the world we now exist within.

Namaste, Don Glauber

Last edited by dglauber; 08-09-2004 at 09:27 PM.