Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums  

Go Back   Wel-Met Camps Memories Forums > Current Memories Forum
Memories Forum Home Quick User Guide Register Wel-Met Photos Find Other Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
MitchEDELSTEIN

Cool Lost kids, trips to the hospital in Honesdale

OK here's a question- Name the Doctor from the hospital in Honesdale. He was famous for wearing white buck shoes with dried blood stains.

Do you remember the year one of the Narrowsburg kids got really lost and the State Police had to be called in and they even brought their helicopter to help with the search. As I remember, the kids name was Howie and his name was called out loud in the woods in a long plaintive call of Hooowwweeeee.

I was one of the backup drivers for emergency runs to the Honesdale hospital. I remember taking a counselor for stomach pains. We were sure it was just a minor problem. But when he asked us to pull over after we crossed the Narrowsburg bridge over into Pennsylvania and then he threw up, I drove faster. We brought him into the emergency room and to my surprise they diagnosed him quickly and sent him to surgery to have his appendix taken out. You never know, I thought he just needed a day away from his unit.

Mitch
MitchEDELSTEIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
Alan Alterbaum

Easy one, Mitch. Dr. Propst.
Alan Alterbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:23 PM   #3
Mike Alterbaum
Super Site Supporter

Alan - I knew you would know that!! This one might be a little tougher: What was the name of the diner in Honesdale that we always took the kids to for lunch during the Hospital-Runs? I don't know the answer, and I hope it's not as obvious as "The Honesdale Diner". By the way, it was on a hospital-run that I met my future sister-in-law. Guess who that was Alan? DUH!!!!!

Mike
Mike Alterbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #4
Alan Alterbaum

Steve's Diner. As far as your sister in law, I can't seem to remember her name, but we've been married for almost 28 years!!
Alan Alterbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
MitchEDELSTEIN

Cool Other memories

That was good. My most memorable trip to the hospital was with my brother Russell and Mitch Kirschenbaum after they came back to camp after surviving an automobile crash that totaled Russ' Baracuda (what year Russ?). Russ came out of the crash with just a cut on his ear, but we (Ben Wax, Zukor, not sure who else) decided that he needed to be taken to the hospital. When we got there, Propst took one look at his ear and pronounced us all a bunch of babies. Then proceeded to put in one stitch without anesthesia. Then decided that another was needed, and then a third to balance out the first two.

Part of my job that evening was to call our parents and tell them that Russ had an accident, was at the hospital but was OK. My parents were tarvelling and I knew that they were in Canada at the famous Lake Louise resort in Alberta. Let me tell you, trying to get the local Honesdale, Penn operator to put through a person to person call to Canada. At first she thought I was trying to call a Miss Alberta Canada in Lake Louise. I laugh to this day trying to explain to her that Canada is a country and that Alberta is a Province. Mitch
Old 04-05-2004, 10:49 AM   #6
RStanton

Reading your stories back in forth definately brings back memories of the time Mitch and Russell got into the car accident. I remember playing nurse to those guys! Rona Altwarg Stanton
RStanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 PM   #7
ArtBefartnickle

Was the accident before they decided to become morticians or after? Was that the summer where they lived in Birch Lodge, worked in the Barn and played the Airplane’s Volunteer's album ad naseum? Then that would be 1971. Some of you guys really needed some driver training. At least Wax knew how to drive.
What ever happened to Kirchenbaum? I seem to recall a party at your house in Brooklyn that was really out of control in 71.
I think I saw you one more time after that. Weren’t you an RA in Gage Hall? I think you were in my dorm In 72. Who was the Dorm Director?
ArtBefartnickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:49 AM   #8
MitchEDELSTEIN

Cool

Aaaah Yes, the Grateful Dead Funeral Parlor.... I wasn't around Birch much that summer, I was living in Silver Lake as AA. Funny, they wouldn't let me be AA of Silver Lake and live in Birch.

I have to laugh at that Wax knew how to drive line. We all had our accidents. Ben was famous for turning a red Wel-Met truck into a trailer by flipping it on the Narrowsburg to Silver Lake Road. That wasn't an easy thing to do, especially to do it and survive. I think that was 1968. Benny, you there?

I only heard about the party in 1971 from Russ, something about using all of the sheets in the linen closet. I was away at New Paltz. I was in Bouton Hall for four years (never an RA) and then lived in the new Student Union Building (for real) I had a room because I was "building security" That was a fun job, almost like Wel-Met.

Wel-Met certainly prepared me for New Paltz in the early '70's.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:24 PM   #9
CarolPotashnick

OK - anyone remember the dentist we used to go to when our braces broke? I recently found a bill that the camp forwarded to my parents for one such visit for the whopping price of $4 - the going rate for removing a piece of metal.
CarolPotashnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #10
Michael Ohlstein

Talking

I don't remember his name, but I made a trip there in 1969. I was playing frisbee with two other guys in unit two (on one of the four days it didn't rain...) and collided with one of them. The short term result was a lower lip that was stuck to my top braces.

The long term result (14 years later) was that I lost one of the upper teeth.

Funny that I don't remember his name, but I remember the song that was on the car radio during the trip. It was Three Dog Night doing 'One'

One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
Two can be as bad as one
It's the loneliest number since the number one

No is the saddest experience you'll ever know
Yes, it's the saddest experience you'll ever know
`Cause one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
One is the loneliest number, worse than two

It's just no good anymore since she went away
Now I spend my time just making rhymes of yesterday

One is the loneliest, number one is the loneliest
Number one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
One is the loneliest, one is the loneliest
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
It's just no good anymore since she went away
(Number) One is the loneliest
(Number) One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
(Number) One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

Spider
Michael Ohlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #11
David Fried

Nice job of remembering the lyrics.
david
David Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:26 PM   #12
mark rothstein

Narrrowsburg dentist

The dentist's name was Dr. Arnold Bennett. I remember one night having to wake the good doctor up (with a phone call) so that he could treat one of the campers for a toothache. The camper happened to have hemophilia. They pumped him (the camper, not the doctor) up with coagulating medication at the infirmary before I took him to the dentist. Dr. Bennett had to pull the kid's tooth; he (again the camper, not the doctor) didn't shed a drop of blood, but I think Dr. Bennett shed about 10 lbs in sweat.
mark rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote